Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I ended up purchasing the Em1ii and the 300mm at The Photography Show - oops! I enjoy sports and wildlife photography, so don't know if I will eventually be able to ditch my Canon gear. The weight and size is very welcome!

Anyway, I'm impressed with the set up so far. It looks a bit sharper in LR than here. The battery seems to run down very quickly!
This was taken through double glazing and at ISO 1000 and they are sprightly little creatures.

1/2000 f/4 ISO 1000
180323082239-BCO30197.jpg

and another 1/1600 f/4 ISO 500

180323082619-BCO30227.jpg

Last edited:
You need to use S-AF and follow the subject taking pictures in singles,took these today with the EM10MK11 its possible but not easy.
Thanks nice to know they were shot around 100mm, i have found if you don’t get a biggish target while shooting birds it wont focus very well,.

P3290054 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P3290033 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Yes, make sure your camera battery is full and ideally use a laptop with battery backup so that there is no risk of the power cutting out suddenly.

The camera needs to be connected to the computer to perform the update.

First the firmware updated is downloaded to your computer, then it gets pushed to the camera, and then the actual update happens in the camera; you will see a flashing picture on the camera's screen indicating an update is going on. Once the update is complete you will see "OK" on the camera screen.

First time I did it it was a bit confusing because it's not always clear when actions are being performed on the computer and when on the camera. Just be patient until you see "OK" on your camera screen. I've updated all my Olympus bodies recently and it never took more than 5 minutes per body.
Thanks I will give it a go over the weekend.

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I paid for the replacement for this a week ago (last Tues night) still no new lens.
Great service or what?

No communication from them at all the product regsitration for this connects to nothing.

I did look up the repair website (seperate company)and they say this
Performance
been in 1 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 1 days waiting est
Repair Info
spare parts on order
Estimate details
replacement lens required damaged

Boy the EM1 really suffers from noise and hot pixels on long exposures! you'll have to view the large size to see it but ouch!

Project 365 - 087/365: Tree at Sunset

A single tree after the suns gone down, a simple intimate landscape.

087 - Tree at Sunset by Donnie Canning, on Flickr

Yup - em-5ii does as well. The long shutter NR works a treat if you're patient. I haven't found a decent way to fix it in post without LSNR unfortunately :-(.

Boy the EM1 really suffers from noise and hot pixels on long exposures! you'll have to view the large size to see it but ouch!

Project 365 - 087/365: Tree at Sunset

A single tree after the suns gone down, a simple intimate landscape.

087 - Tree at Sunset by Donnie Canning, on Flickr
Just set long exposure noise reduction to auto and job done, the file has dark frame subtraction applied. Sure it means all your shots take twice as long, but it tends to work well imo.

Thinking of switching to the em1 mkii due to a bad back and want to save on weight, how does everyone find navigating the menu’s ?? And does anyone use it for Astro/night photography. Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Thinking of switching to the em1 mkii due to a bad back and want to save on weight, how does everyone find navigating the menu’s ?? And does anyone use it for Astro/night photography. Thanks Chris
The complication of Olympus menus is blown out of all proportion imo and they're really no different to any other system in terms of complexity. If you don't know where a setting is it can be just as hard to find in any menu system as another ;) Olympus have a secret weapon though, they have the super control panel and countless customisable buttons. Once you have these set to your preference you really don't need the menus other than formatting cards.

A couple of examples, if you count images of the moon.
Nearest neighbour by Huw Prosser, on Flickr
And...
Millennium Bridge, from Newcastle by Huw Prosser, on Flickr
I've never found menus an issue but then I'm used to them.
That moon pic is impressive. Single shot or stacked?

Just set long exposure noise reduction to auto and job done, the file has dark frame subtraction applied. Sure it means all your shots take twice as long, but it tends to work well imo.

I'll give it a go and report back :beer:

The complication of Olympus menus is blown out of all proportion imo and they're really no different to any other system in terms of complexity. If you don't know where a setting is it can be just as hard to find in any menu system as another ;) Olympus have a secret weapon though, they have the super control panel and countless customisable buttons. Once you have these set to your preference you really don't need the menus other than formatting cards.

That moon pic is impressive. Single shot or stacked?
Thanks.
It's stacked Toby, 40 exposures aligned and merged in AutosSakkert3, wavelets applied to taste with Registax.

Thanks.
It's stacked Toby, 40 exposures aligned and merged in AutosSakkert3, wavelets applied to taste with Registax.
Thanks. I've never done stacking before. When you stack are you focus stacking, exposure stacking, or something else?

Thanks. I've never done stacking before. When you stack are you focus stacking, exposure stacking, or something else?

It's 40 identical exposures, it minimises artefacts and atmospheric disturbances to give you a better baseline to work with in comparison to a single exposure.

It's 40 identical exposures, it minimises artefacts and atmospheric disturbances to give you a better baseline to work with in comparison to a single exposure.
Thanks, very useful (y)

First issue has just registered with my Em1ii. The top SD card slot wont retain the card which just keeps springing back out.
Anyone else had this issue?

There is a lot of grumpiness about the Oly menus. This seems unreasonable to me! Just because we are not familiar with them (Canon for many many years) doesn’t mean the camera is a disaster. I use both and have to remind myself how to do th8ngs if I have left it a while or been using my Canons. I love my Oly system. Beware! A friend of mine decided to trade in his Canon for a Sony set up to go lighter. He told me after his trip that he had 9.5kg in his rucksack and a few nerves about internal flights. It seems he has bought his way back to having to carry weight! He wouldn’t go back though.

First issue has just registered with my Em1ii. The top SD card slot wont retain the card which just keeps springing back out.
Anyone else had this issue?
Never had this I find it very positive in the way it works.
Rob.

As has been said, they are complicated, only because the camera offers so many options. Getting familiar with any system takes a little time. I am still finding bells and whistles after using the Mk2 for a year. But well worth it IMHO...........:)

Not had that problem Graham. As Mark says have you tried another card (I'm sure you have).
If it's still an issue I would contact your dealer.

After some advice please. I’ve started a thread for this too, but thought I would also ask here.

Despite using a weather resistant camera and lens (G9 + Oly 40-150mm f2.8) with a rain cover, I ended up with some condensation within the EVF of my camera after an hour or so of shooting yesterday in moderate rain. Back at my car, this cleared just sitting on the front seat (no heater on) while I got out of my waterproofs etc.

Since getting home, the camera has been in a (camera) bag with a couple of those silica desiccant pouches (battery + cards still in it) in a warm room. There’s absolutely no sign of any condensation remaining.

Anything else I should be doing? How long do I leave it before using again in anger? Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Simon.

This was done to death in the d750 thread so take Toby’s word for it,30 pageswerent for nothing :ROFLMAO:
No don't, I go for cheap and cheerful rather than the flash expensive glass ones ;)

After some advice please. I’ve started a thread for this too, but thought I would also ask here.

Despite using a weather resistant camera and lens (G9 + Oly 40-150mm f2.8) with a rain cover, I ended up with some condensation within the EVF of my camera after an hour or so of shooting yesterday in moderate rain. Back at my car, this cleared just sitting on the front seat (no heater on) while I got out of my waterproofs etc.

Since getting home, the camera has been in a (camera) bag with a couple of those silica desiccant pouches (battery + cards still in it) in a warm room. There’s absolutely no sign of any condensation remaining.

Anything else I should be doing? How long do I leave it before using again in anger? Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Simon.

Normally I leave wet stuff on a towel on a radiator for a day or so with the battery out, just to make sure.

If its ok when you switch it on then I'd forget about it and carry on.

What's the best screen protector for Olympus em10 mark ii?

I don't have an EM10, but I have used Expert Shield on several cameras and have been impressed. They never peel off and the touch screen still works. You've reminded me I need to get one for my Em1ii!

Here's a link to them http://www.expertshielduk.com

I came across them at The Photography Show a few years ago and have since bought another two for other cameras. They also have the most hilarious instructions :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I think you have done all you can there Simon, I would just keep an eye on it, you'll probably find it's fine next time you use it in similar conditions.

When my gear has been out in the rain I tend to mop up as much water as I can then ask my better half if she can hold the camera and lens in the car on the way back.
I then let it dry out naturally, fingers crossed I've had no problems in many years taking this approach.

Normally I leave wet stuff on a towel on a radiator for a day or so with the battery out, just to make sure.

If its ok when you switch it on then I'd forget about it and carry on.

I think you have done all you can there Simon, I would just keep an eye on it, you'll probably find it's fine next time you use it in similar conditions.

When my gear has been out in the rain I tend to mop up as much water as I can then ask my better half if she can hold the camera and lens in the car on the way back.
I then let it dry out naturally, fingers crossed I've had no problems in many years taking this approach.

Thanks guys. I switched it on yesterday, and all seems fine. I’m away for a week, so I’ll leave it in the camera bag with a couple of silica pouches just to make sure.

Cheers,

Simon.

Cheers,

Simon.
That doesn't sound great, but sounds like you've done everything that you could. The only other thing I would suggest is that at the first sign of moisture inside your camera (or any electrical item for that matter) is to turn it off straight way as it could prevent anything from 'shorting'.

So, if you scratch one of these glass covers, how do you remove it without damaging the screen itself?

So, if you scratch one of these glass covers, how do you remove it without damaging the screen itself?

They lift off quite easily after being attached (it's just a case of getting a fingernail under and lifting a corner and breaking the suction effect that holds it to the screen), I've just recently moved one between cameras without any problem.

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

How fast is that?
Thats to replace a lens,

We are pleased to confirm that your CAMERA is ready for despatch
A printed repair report and receipt will be returned with your CAMERA

================================================== =======================

Was In 13 Days, Inc. 12 Days Waiting Parts 1 Days Waiting Est

Arrived at DK Horley : 23/03/18

Estimate report provided : 22/03/18
Estimate Reply Received : 23/03/18

Spare Parts Ordered : 23/03/18
Spare Parts Received : 04/04/18
Repair Completed / Closed down : 05/04/18

Ready for Despatch : 05/04/18

Alfbranch, why do you keep posting Panasonic stuff in the "Olympus" thread?
I think it's OK to do that. As anything m43 is potentially useful to Olympus users. In fact many use both makers items. And the m43 community is not so divisive like the Canon versus Nikon haters. Now we don't want that here do we?

Last edited:
Of course it's "OK", just seems a bit strainge to me thats all.

Konick, Nacon? NoNoNoNo. We ALL Know that the best camera in the world is the Rollei TLR dont we? :exit:

Back