Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm not liking the grip on my em10 ii. Is my only choice the ECG‑3 Camera Grip or is there good 3rd party grips out there?

I'm not liking the grip on my em10 ii. Is my only choice the ECG‑3 Camera Grip or is there good 3rd party grips out there?
Loads of 3rd party ones on fleabay, not sure what they’re like.

Of course it's "OK", just seems a bit strainge to me thats all.

Konick, Nacon? NoNoNoNo. We ALL Know that the best camera in the world is the Rollei TLR dont we? :exit:

This thread is really the surrogate m43 thread in general so all welcome.

We’re a friendly bunch and don’t care much for labels so anything m43 is good here. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a Canikon/Sony thread and I feel much more zen for it :cool: Sometimes I think we should have a party with the Pentax folk, they seem nice.

Hey All - anyone managed a decent grip solution with the e-m5ii?

I manage okay with it. But sometimes I struggle with the quick release plate for my tripod causing me issues changing lenses. If I have the 14-140mm panny on, the quick release plate presses against it. If I have a smaller lens on, the plate blocks putting on a bigger lens.

I'd also fancy a better grip anyway (I envy my wife's G80).

----

The HLD-8g looks great... except for blocking the battery :-(

The vertical grip seems to fix the battery issue, but would make the camera bigger than i'd like (and I usually take photos landscape)

The ECG-2 looks okay, I'd prefer if it has the extra shutter/wheel. I do like that it would mean I wouldn't need the plate for my tripod. Man it is expensive for what it is!

Bunch of 3rd party ones- anyone got any experiences or recommendations?

Or any other ideas or suggestions?

The ECG-2 is very good, makes a great different to handling, however Olympus could have made more of an effort to its fit.

Alfbranch, why do you keep posting Panasonic stuff in the "Olympus" thread?

I do it here and there too, we all use the same lenses, and many of us use both systems, so why not. I thought about this before, I'd rather a general M43 thread than splitting Pana/Oly, but it is what it is.

I tried the Em1ii and 300mm out yesterday for the first time with kite surfers.

I didn't have a monopod with me and had some trouble keeping focus on the target myself, but I was very impressed with the tracking. I've never had any success with that before on my em5ii, but in this instance it worked well.

Edit: The first shot is SOOC with just a crop

180406122015-BCO60161.jpg 180406122545-BCO60245.jpg 180406122912-BCO60285.jpg

Last edited:
Went for an after dinner wander tonight; overall not a great success, weather turned out to be a lot windier than I anticipated, the evening light never developed how I thought (looked like it would be a nice sunset, golden light etc... Haha, nope. Clouds and overcast, and just gradually darkening without any colour) and there was very little to photograph. All I really got was this blossom...

244site2.jpg

... and this rather miffed looking toad, who has no right to look so cross given I nearly fell over in avoiding stepping on him. Think posing for a photo with good grace would be the least he could do!

150site2.jpg

Last edited:
First issue has just registered with my Em1ii. The top SD card slot wont retain the card which just keeps springing back out.
Anyone else had this issue?
The problem persisted with different cards, requiring heavy pressure to get the camera to retain the card. Today I went to take a card out and it was janned in the slot requiring a pair of tweezers and some pressure to remove it.
Looks like a warranty job.

The problem persisted with different cards, requiring heavy pressure to get the camera to retain the card. Today I went to take a card out and it was janned in the slot requiring a pair of tweezers and some pressure to remove it.
Oh dear :( Let us know how you get on.

Went for an after dinner wander tonight; overall not a great success, weather turned out to be a lot windier than I anticipated, the evening light never developed how I thought (looked like it would be a nice sunset, golden light etc... Haha, nope. Clouds and overcast, and just gradually darkening without any colour) and there was very little to photograph. All I really got was this blossom...

View attachment 123850

... and this rather miffed looking toad, who has no right to look so cross given I nearly fell over in avoiding stepping on him. Think posing for a photo with good grace would be the least he could do!

View attachment 123849

We've all had days like that, it can be really deflating after a good few hours out shooting, to get home and find you didn't really get a great number of keepers. I think it happens me a lot more often than I get home delighted with my day's shooting. But, if you at least even get one keeper, I say it's a success. And you got 2 here, I love the toad, I so rarely ever see them out in the wild. Where I grew up we'd see them all the time down by the river where we used to fish and swim, it reminds me of that :)

There's factors we can never do anything about, the weather, the natural light, how active the wildlife are that day .... we can only try make the best of what we got. Never give up though, the next day will be much better ;)

Fingers crossed you get it fixed under warranty.

The other day we went to Chatham Dockyard. I walked in there with my lovely new em10ii only to trip over and have a fall. I fell in the sharp pebble stones they have there at the beginning. Not only did I put cuts into my left hand and knee, my camera went into the pebbles as I was holding it with a wrist strap on. Automatic reaction as I fell was to save the camera. I came away looking a mess and the camera came away with 4 small dents in the bottom of it. Also a dink on the metal part at the bottom of the screen.
I could claim with insurance but the camera still works fine. It's just one of those gutted moments.

:oops: :$

giphy.gif

On the plus side. It's a strong little camera :D

The other day we went to Chatham Dockyard. I walked in there with my lovely new em10ii only to trip over and have a fall. I fell in the sharp pebble stones they have there at the beginning. Not only did I put cuts into my left hand and knee, my camera went into the pebbles as I was holding it with a wrist strap on. Automatic reaction as I fell was to save the camera. I came away looking a mess and the camera came away with 4 small dents in the bottom of it. Also a dink on the metal part at the bottom of the screen.
I could claim with insurance but the camera still works fine. It's just one of those gutted moments.

giphy.gif

Gutting :(

giphy.gif

Not good but at least you saved the camera and if anyone asks about the condition you can spin a yarn about it happening during a apell of war correspondence

I think I still have small stones in the palm of my hand. Better get to the docs if they don't come out.

I might buy the grip for a better hold and to hide the small dents.
:( Sorry to hear about your fall. I once put my back out for 6 weeks and had to cancel a ski holiday saving my camera, but I did save it! Hope you heal quickly and I'm glad to hear at least the camera is still working.

I think I still have small stones in the palm of my hand. Better get to the docs if they don't come out.

I might buy the grip for a better hold and to hide the small dents.
They can often work their own way out, but you need to keep an eye on infection.

:( Sorry to hear about your fall. I once put my back out for 6 weeks and had to cancel a ski holiday saving my camera, but I did save it! Hope you heal quickly and I'm glad to hear at least the camera is still working.

Things we do to save our cameras :D

They can often work their own way out, but you need to keep an eye on infection.

I've been working one small one out everyday. If I can't get it by the weekend I'll let someone else (docs) try. No infection yet. Been put stuff on it everyday and keeping it covered.

If only I could put cream on the bottom of the camera to heal it.

Not good but at least you saved the camera and if anyone asks about the condition you can spin a yarn about it happening during a apell of war correspondence

Some people have already asked what happened as I have a limp because of my knee.
I tell them I was in the bush in Africa when I seen a Lion....
:LOL:

Just bought this for £99.99, currently has £30 discount on Amazon and Jessops.... EM-1 ii fits lovely even with a fat Optech strap attached and also takes the 40-150mm Pro next to it with ease, got my iPad slotted in the front, has plenty of storage for cards etc. and another 2 full width pockets, got my iphone, earphones etc. in there too.....really impressed, lovely leather, also comes with a matching leather camera strap but i'll stick with my Optech for maximum comfort....highly recommended

PB6eLLU.jpg

i35EJ46.jpg

MHvzCWe.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought this for £99.99, currently has £30 discount on Amazon and Jessops.... EM-1 ii fits lovely even with a fat Optech strap attached and also takes the 40-150mm Pro next to it with ease, got my iPad slotted in the front, has plenty of storage for cards etc. and another 2 full width pockets, got my iphone, earphones etc. in there too.....really impressed, lovely leather, also comes with a matching leather camera strap but i'll stick with my Optech for maximum comfort....highly recommended

IMG_3890 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

IMG_3888 2 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by ImageMaker, on Flickr
Nice. Does the EM1 have a lens attached to it as well so it fits body with lens, plus additional lens?

IMG_3890 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

IMG_3888 2 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

IMG_3887 by ImageMaker, on Flickr

I'm not usually impressed by camera bag looks, most of them either look hipster old-style school bags, or mini ski/mountaineering back packs, but that is nice I must say. Bit tight maybe.

I have a few bags and none of them seem 'right' for my M43 gear. I have a Kata Minibee, which is a nice bag, it's been through the mill though, bit scuffed up, I can get most all in there inc a flash but I prefer a side/messenger type for cycling. I have my old Think Tank sling-o-matic 20, but it's a big bulky thing, it fits everything I need but it was bought with FF gear in mind, everything kind of moves about in it no matter how I set up the inserts - then I have a cheap Bestek bag that I bought with M43 in mind, but it's actually a little too tight now that I bought a 100-300. It'll fit the G80 with 25mm attached, and the tele along side, bit like your layout above. But I'd like to add in another lens, possibly a small macro or legacy lens that will double as a macro with attachments in the near future and a flash unit. It does have plenty of extra pocket space for batteries, cards, mini tripod etc but I also like space for a bottle of water and a snack bar maybe. It's hard get them bang on.

It's on my camera all the time at the moment. I'm loving the little thing.

Cracking bee shot, how close was the front element to it?

I'm not usually impressed by camera bag looks, most of them either look hipster old-style school bags, or mini ski/mountaineering back packs, but that is nice I must say. Bit tight maybe.

I have a few bags and none of them seem 'right' for my M43 gear. I have a Kata Minibee, which is a nice bag, it's been through the mill though, bit scuffed up, I can get most all in there inc a flash but I prefer a side/messenger type for cycling. I have my old Think Tank sling-o-matic 20, but it's a big bulky thing, it fits everything I need but it was bought with FF gear in mind, everything kind of moves about in it no matter how I set up the inserts - then I have a cheap Bestek bag that I bought with M43 in mind, but it's actually a little too tight now that I bought a 100-300. It'll fit the G80 with 25mm attached, and the tele along side, bit like your layout above. But I'd like to add in another lens, possibly a small macro or legacy lens that will double as a macro with attachments in the near future and a flash unit. It does have plenty of extra pocket space for batteries, cards, mini tripod etc but I also like space for a bottle of water and a snack bar maybe. It's hard get them bang on.

Cracking bee shot, how close was the front element to it?
Good point about the water. I just added the 1.4TC and 5 snack bars to the rear pocket so I can get close and fat but will still be thirsty LOL

Here's one from my omd-em1 and 60mm macro of my brassed old OM camera jpg sooc.
. by Philip Higgins, on Flickr

Camera has been with Olympus five days. Looking at their website it says they recieved it on 12th April......it was sent Special Delivery and signed for by them on 10th.
For two days the status has shown as ‘Awaiting cost approval’. They havent been in touch or answered my emails. I know they are no doubt dealing with a lot of customers but an email wouldnt go amiss.
Anyone else with experience of Olympus service centre? Is this the normal customer service?

Last edited:
Camera has been with Olympus five days. Looking at their website it says they recieved it on 12th April......it was sent Special Delivery and signed for by them on 10th.
For two days the status has shown as ‘Awaiting cost approval’. They havent been in touch or answered my emails. I know they are no doubt dealing with a lot of customers but an email wouldnt go amiss.
Anyone else with experience of Olympus service centre? Is this the normal customer service?

I filled out a survey they sent me asking about the new camera I got (em10ii). I filled it in and where it said what I don't like about the camera I said, the non existence grip.
I didn't ask for one but I got a email back off them saying the em10ii is an entry level camera. Maybe I should buy the E-M5 Mark II or E-M1 Mark II.
I thought, cheeky %*&$"!!%. Not everyone has that kind of money burning a hole in their pocket.
So, my first contact with them doesn't fill me with delight.

I hope they contact you soon Graham and you get your camera back asap.

I filled out a survey they sent me asking about the new camera I got (em10ii). I filled it in and where it said what I don't like about the camera I said, the non existence grip.
I didn't ask for one but I got a email back off them saying the em10ii is an entry level camera. Maybe I should buy the E-M5 Mark II or E-M1 Mark II.
I thought, cheeky %*&$"!!%. Not everyone has that kind of money burning a hole in their pocket.
So, my first contact with them doesn't fill me with delight.

I hope they contact you soon Graham and you get your camera back asap.

You could give the ECG-3 a go https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...s/pen_om_d_other_accessories/ecg_3/index.html

Have you been sent a quote for the work to be carried out?

If not give them a call:-
Call our Customer Service team:
00800 67 10 84 00 * or +420 221 981 853 / FAX: +420 221 985 599
(Available Mon – Thu, 8 am to 5 pm, Fri 8 am to 3:30 pm BST)

Back