Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Camera has been with Olympus five days. Looking at their website it says they recieved it on 12th April......it was sent Special Delivery and signed for by them on 10th.
For two days the status has shown as ‘Awaiting cost approval’. They havent been in touch or answered my emails. I know they are no doubt dealing with a lot of customers but an email wouldnt go amiss.
Anyone else with experience of Olympus service centre? Is this the normal customer service?
That's how my E-M5II was recently.
I presume it's not an E-M1ii as they are priority as pro kit

Better than Panasonic though.

Last edited:
All taken with the 12-40, decided on 30mm macro as my next lens though...

I think it's a great little lens for what it costs.

I took a gamble and bought from here https://www.tecobuy.com/en_UK/olymp...MIy4OUhO-82gIVhkAbCh2zjg9REAkYASABEgLwQPD_BwE

As they take paypal only I thought, if they don't deliver I will be covered. (I called Paypal just to make sure). I ordered on a Wednesday. The following Wednesday it arrived. And that was over the Easter weekend.

I don't know if it will work but try REVIEW in the promo/voucher code box. You might get another fiver off. They sent me it for a review I done on Trustpilot.

I think it's a great little lens for what it costs.

I took a gamble and bought from here https://www.tecobuy.com/en_UK/olymp...MIy4OUhO-82gIVhkAbCh2zjg9REAkYASABEgLwQPD_BwE

As they take paypal only I thought, if they don't deliver I will be covered. (I called Paypal just to make sure). I ordered on a Wednesday. The following Wednesday it arrived. And that was over the Easter weekend.

I don't know if it will work but try REVIEW in the promo/voucher code box. You might get another fiver off. They sent me it for a review I done on Trustpilot.

Tecobuy - I took delivery of a 15mm Panny Leica a couple of weeks ago, and am currently awaiting delivery of a 40-150mm f2.8 Pro. I had the extra £5 discount for posting a review.
No problem with either order, and great prices.

This tickled me a little, as I was thinking of the bird forum and my general distaste of the 'bird on a stick' photos. It most definitely is, a bird on a stick (although obviously not enough for the purists). Taken with EM1ii and PL100-400.

Allotment 2018-4144408 by Ned Awty, on Flickr

It's not about the stick, it's about the detail of the bird itself, people just go for that uncluttered background to help it stand out. Personally, I prefer a little foliage, or scenic back drop, but I can appreciate good detail. You need to get closer and fill the frame much as poss.

The other day we went to Chatham Dockyard. I walked in there with my lovely new em10ii only to trip over and have a fall. I fell in the sharp pebble stones they have there at the beginning. Not only did I put cuts into my left hand and knee, my camera went into the pebbles as I was holding it with a wrist strap on. Automatic reaction as I fell was to save the camera. I came away looking a mess and the camera came away with 4 small dents in the bottom of it. Also a dink on the metal part at the bottom of the screen.
Sounds rough, sorry to hear you had an accident. A friend of mine tripped over the landing gear of a light aircraft and protecting his E-M5 and 12-40 PRO he fell on his elbow.
This was the result, I think under the circumstances he wishes he'd sacrificed the camera :(
View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BVaQXwUFdrd/?taken-by=burningpixel

It's not about the stick, it's about the detail of the bird itself, people just go for that uncluttered background to help it stand out. Personally, I prefer a little foliage, or scenic back drop, but I can appreciate good detail. You need to get closer and fill the frame much as poss.

My point exactly.

It's an automatic reaction to save something that cost so much when it's in your hands
Sure. If you have reactions fast enough to make a rational decision then you’re probably some kind of ninja and therefore won’t be tripping to begin with.

Few shots with the em10ii the other day at Leeds Castle in Kent.

Olympus 45mm

Oympus M.40-150mm

Oympus 30mm macro

Leeds Castle have a lovely Falconry center there. One of the staff had this owl, called Mozart, on her arm. She was answering any questions about owls and showing Mozart off. I asked if Mozart would be ok if I put on a macro lens and put the lens near him. No problem at all she said. He's a right poser :) I was lucky enough only to be about 10 inches away from this wonderful bird whilst taking photos. After a few shots I gave him a stroke to thank him. He's feathers are as soft as a cloud. Thank you Mozart for being such a great model :)
https://flic.kr/p/24QfzQM
Oympus 30mm macro

Last edited:
So I have acquired a E-PM1, old camera, no immediate manual controls…..is this any good?

If I were to have fun with this, what is the best/cheapest 35 or 50mm prime?

Purchased from Panamoz. Theyve just emailed me telling me that as they guarantee their cameras for three years, to send it for service to Olympus and they will pay cost of any repairs.
Recieved repair cost from Olympus yesterday, forwarded it to Panamoz who transferred funds immediately. Great service Tina and team! Just waiting for the camera to come back from Portugal now......

Last edited:
So I have acquired a E-PM1, old camera, no immediate manual controls…..is this any good?

Should be fun you can get a viewfinder a VF3 is good.
The Oly 17mm f2.8 or f1.8 would work with the f1.8 being better. If a zoom is wanted the 14-42 60mm EZ is a lovely little lens.

I love my little Panasonic 25 1.7, it is 'nifty-fifty' plastic fantastic for the price, I find it plenty sharp enough wide open and it focuses nice and close too, also very quietly.

Best for me is the Olympus 17mm f1.8 but it's probably too expensive.
The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a great lens and great value but perhaps a bit large on that body.
The Olympus 17mm f2.8 is a good pancake 35mm equ lens which is very compact - that would be my choice with an older smaller m4/3 body.
[I own all 3 but should probably sell on the 17mm f2.8 as I haven't used it since I got the f1.8]

I had a VF4 for my E-PL5 but it seldom got used even though it was lovely.
If you want an EVF then I'd go for the E-M10 body.

E-PM1 got me in to csc and a good little camera.
Make sure to enable the SCP to speed up access to ISO, White balance etc.
Enjoy!

so ive joined the Olympus family and purchased an em5 mk2.

itll be a change from the old nikon D300s but looking forward to it

Fantastic Mark! I'm sure you'll love it. There's some phenomenal native AF glass available from Olympus, Panasonic and Sigma, mostly at very sensible prices. Look forward to seeing what you take with it.

Simon.

Have you been sent a quote for the work to be carried out?

If not give them a call:-
Call our Customer Service team:
00800 67 10 84 00 * or +420 221 981 853 / FAX: +420 221 985 599
(Available Mon – Thu, 8 am to 5 pm, Fri 8 am to 3:30 pm BST)
Gave them a call. Camera was in Portugal service centre so didnt arrive there until 12th. Anyway they quoted....Panamoz paid, and the camera is back home all spotless, minty and working like a dream.

My laptop went pop about a week ago, been narrowed down to an operating system issue so just waiting for the time to have it reinstalled. Meanwhile, these are photos SOOC and obtained from the Olympus photo import function on the app, so I have no idea what quality they'll upload in.

OI000031.jpg OI000042.jpg OI000055.jpg OI000037.jpg OI000049.jpg

All were taken on a photographic tour of Peterborough Cathedral. If it runs again, would highly recommend it to anyone able to attend - cost £40, and for that you get access to a lot of usually unseen areas (at least one, maybe two, of those were taken in the secret library area), accompanied by a photographer who is happy to advise if needed or leave you alone if not, along with knowledge from some cathedral volunteers. Very enjoyable day out.

Also thoroughly convinced me on my Olympus set-up. Took the tripod, didn't use it once; also never took the ISO off 200. Some photos were beong handheld at 1/8 - that may not be that impressive compared to some people, but my Fuji gear basically required 1/60 minimum.

My laptop went pop about a week ago, been narrowed down to an operating system issue so just waiting for the time to have it reinstalled. Meanwhile, these are photos SOOC and obtained from the Olympus photo import function on the app, so I have no idea what quality they'll upload in.

View attachment 125025 View attachment 125026 View attachment 125027 View attachment 125028 View attachment 125029

All were taken on a photographic tour of Peterborough Cathedral. If it runs again, would highly recommend it to anyone able to attend - cost £40, and for that you get access to a lot of usually unseen areas (at least one, maybe two, of those were taken in the secret library area), accompanied by a photographer who is happy to advise if needed or leave you alone if not, along with knowledge from some cathedral volunteers. Very enjoyable day out.

Also thoroughly convinced me on my Olympus set-up. Took the tripod, didn't use it once; also never took the ISO off 200. Some photos were beong handheld at 1/8 - that may not be that impressive compared to some people, but my Fuji gear basically required 1/60 minimum.

Nice set :)

IME Olympus JPGs are excellent, they do a fine job of squashing noise without blurring detail (even at high ISO), the colours are very nice too and does a good job of preserving the highlights. I recently shot a wedding on jpg only and the quality was fantastic, the B&G were very happy.

After a few cock ups like trying to get cars driving towards me with S-AF:eek:

In the rain and very dull so iso 3200 @ 400mm car coming towards me

P4280057.jpg

59 shots later same car

P4280115.jpg

In good light with no rain i feel this is going to be a great camera.

Just a ISO4000 shot @400mm

P4280216.jpg

Make sure to update the firmware, CAF has got a bit better

Thanks i did it, just looking at the book now for things like refocus speed, i had it set on 0 and think i may speed it up.

Back