Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

With the E M1 ll I've been trying out my new 300mm f4 lens with the 1.4 t/c. (First time Hobby for me).
This is a 100% crop at 300mm (840mm ff equiv.), and a different image to the one posted in the "birds I've seen today" thread.
You needed binoculars to see this bird, it was barely a speck with the human eye.

Hobby3 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
So ive had the em5 mkii for a little bit now. Ive changed a few of the buttons to my liking and added a grip, not a battery grip but just a little grip to increase the size so i dont feel like im going to drop it. Alot of people moan about the menu, its very similar to my old nikon menu so no problems there haha. going to try back button focus soon, see what i think, used it all the time on the nikon.

Heres some images since getting her (Olyvia) haha

In the garden by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

In the garden by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Hanging by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Flying Scotsman by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

P5050093wm by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Random by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Roddles waterfall by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Family by Mark Lightfoot, on Flickr

Very nice, Mark

My p20 has arrived today ( thanks @Malfis ) - it comes to something when this is my heavy lens.

Need to find a small cheap bag / pouch - I have a MM10 but there’s too much spare space in there....

Having some issues with my newly acquired EM10 mark II which at the moment, are stopping me enjoying using the camera.
Difficult to explain, but when taking a shot in M/S/A modes, the camera will sometimes hesitate when pressing the shutter button and then take two shots on the one shutter button press (this seems to be accompanid by a blurry EVF/screen). I have tried to replicate the issue but don't seem able to "force it to happen". Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried M/S/A modes, Switching between AF and MF. I've turned anti shock both on and off. I'm in single shot mode. I've checked bracketing isn't on. I've tried searching on line and as far as possible, reading the manual. Any help would be very much appreciated.

can anyone recommend a small case for e-m10 + P12-32 +P20 ? Needs to to fit the body and lenses quite snugly..

What's the working distance on the 60mm at 1:1?

No idea :D

I use it hand held and up to now have just got as close as i can, i think its 0.19m but thats only from reading the blurb.

Just back from The Lakes and gave my EM5MK2 a proper try out.

I like! It's not full frame quality but it's good enough for me.

Aira Force by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Ashness BridgeWaterfall by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Paddleboard 1 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Paddleboard 2 by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Just got back from Patterdale Friday night I was talking to one of the guys repairing one of the Jetty’s and he was telling me he had never seen the water level so low in the Lake District before.
It made me smile seeing your first images as they were the two places we decided to skip with the low water.
You captured some real nice images Thanks for sharing :)(y)
I took my Oly and my Fuji and it was still lighter than taking my Nikon or Canon gear ! Pleased to hear you like theEM5 MKII :olympus: & :fuji:in fact anything photo related :)

Just got back from Patterdale Friday night I was talking to one of the guys repairing one of the Jetty’s and he was telling me he had never seen the water level so low in the Lake District before.
It made me smile seeing your first images as they were the two places we decided to skip with the low water.
You captured some real nice images Thanks for sharing :)(y)
I took my Oly and my Fuji and it was still lighter than taking my Nikon or Canon gear ! Pleased to hear you like theEM5 MKII :olympus: & :fuji:in fact anything photo related :)

Cheers Phiggys.
Lovely place, can't wait to go back

I've really been enjoying playing with the Pen F. I've gone back to shooting RAW +jpeg so I can play with the creative dial. Not sure if the novelty will wear off, but it's a lot of fun. SOOCView attachment 128327

Cracking capture I really like this shot ive not tried out the creative settings yet !

Olympus om-d e-m10 mark ii

Can I cluster focus points or is it always one single point?

I'm defiantly thinking about the 60mm macro. I was playing with my Canon with the Sigma 105 macro and was missing the in viewfinder review.
Put the Raynox 250 on my Olympus 75-300 and didn't get a shot in focus due to the narrow focus range, was trying to shoot bumblebees flying from flower to flower.

I put the raynox on my kit lens 14-42, attached the ikkle flash, could I get the damn thing to fire, nope. Rechecked the manual, still wouldn't fire.
Hmm, the shutter is in quiet mode, what if I turned off the electronic shutter? Well where was that in the in the damn manual, certainly not in the flash section.

Going to hunt some more bees tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hednesford Hills Raceway on Sunday for the Oval Track Legends (a short oval formula my son competes in), and the first proper day out with the EM1 Mk2 (i.e. after I'd read the manual and configured a couple of presets for the kind of shots I thought I'd want to take)

Some PP, bumped the clarity to make the car a bit shinier than it actually was and added a gradient to make the sky a bit more dramatic, but at least thanks to the articulating screen didn't have to lay in the dirt to take this shot!

Through the fence, hence the blurred grid pattern, but 1/20th of a second shutter, and the car I'd intended to be vaguely in focus (the lead car) almost kind of is.

Same again but 1/40th, and this time the horizontal wires of the safety fence are more noticeable than the vertical.

Side-on, 1/60th and the horizontal wires are now a solid line, but the verticals are almost gone.

And this is the winning car on the day, the first time in 7 years this guy had won a feature final.

Any idea how I get the cluster points?
Well, with mine, once you have the focus grid up I press the info button, then use the up/down button to scroll through the focus point patterns.

Use the small and group target settings, page 48 of the manual.

Last edited:
Well, with mine, once you have the focus grid up I press the info button, then use the up/down button to scroll through the focus point patterns.

Use the small and group target settings, page 48 of the manual.

I can do that but even if all is selected it will still use just one point.

Any idea how I get the cluster points?
As above "OK" to get the Super Control Panel up, arrow over to the focus grid and "OK" again to select.
Press "Info" and you can now cycle through face detect modes left or right and focus point size and grouping with up and down.

If you haven't read the full manual - not the quick start guide - then you'll miss a lot of functions.
There's an eBay seller called PDF-2-Print who will send you a spiral bound copy for a fiver - well recommended.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mobilephonemanualsandpccds/Olympus/_i.html?_storecat=16304426017

As above "OK" to get the Super Control Panel up, arrow over to the focus grid and "OK" again to select.
Press "Info" and you can now cycle through face detect modes left or right and focus point size and grouping with up and down.

If you haven't read the full manual - not the quick start guide - then you'll miss a lot of functions.
There's an eBay seller called PDF-2-Print who will send you a spiral bound copy for a fiver - well recommended.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/mobilephonemanualsandpccds/Olympus/_i.html?_storecat=16304426017

Is it the same as this... http://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/manual/omd/man_em10m2_e.pdf

Page 48.

Even if I set to all targets the camera with only focus on one single target. I was hoping in this mode it would use cluster points.targets.

Yup - I just find it easier to read on paper.

Even if I set to all targets the camera will(?) only focus on one single target. I was hoping in this mode it would use cluster points.targets.
Not sure I get what you want?
If you reduce the targeting area down to say 9 squares, when you half press the shutter the camera picks the best contrast in that 9 square region and shows you the point it chose.
Are you trying to get it to continuously choose from points within the area while half pressed until you fully press the shutter?

I tend to choose a focus point on the touchscreen and move it around with the arrows if I need to.

Incidentally I've just messed about with the S-AF and C-AF Tracking modes - the tracking seems a lot better on the Mkii than it was on the Mki - I should probably try that out properly at some point.

Yup - I just find it easier to read on paper.

Not sure I get what you want?
If you reduce the targeting area down to say 9 squares, when you half press the shutter the camera picks the best contrast in that 9 square region and shows you the point it chose.
Are you trying to get it to continuously choose from points within the area while half pressed until you fully press the shutter?

I tend to choose a focus point on the touchscreen and move it around with the arrows if I need to.

Incidentally I've just messed about with the S-AF and C-AF Tracking modes - the tracking seems a lot better on the Mkii than it was on the Mki - I should probably try that out properly at some point.

Lets say for example I'm taking a picture of a Landscape in Scotland. Mountains, lake and so on. On a Sony A6000 or a Canon 7D I can half press the shutter button and 4 or 5 (maybe more) focus points will light up saying these areas are in focus.

179afpoints.jpg

On the em10ii it will only light up one focus point even if all is selected.

20140719191602.jpg

What’s the shutter release set to ? Gears->menu C ( release )-> release lag time

I’ve got mine set to short.

Thanks for the reply.
Have tried as you suggest and no joy.
Still experiencing two images being taken with a single shutter press on an ad hoc basis. Have tried M/S/A/P and all are affected - I just can't predict when it will happen or work out why. Seems also to be accompanied by what I would describe as an imprecise shutter action. Sorry to be vague.
Any other thoughts?
Sadly, I'm already losing confidence here which is a real shame as it's a camera I so much want to like.
Am starting to wonder if there is some issue with the camera.

Lets say for example I'm taking a picture of a Landscape in Scotland. Mountains, lake and so on. On a Sony A6000 or a Canon 7D I can half press the shutter button and 4 or 5 (maybe more) focus points will light up saying these areas are in focus.

On the em10ii it will only light up one focus point even if all is selected.
OK now I understand what you're trying to do, none of my cameras have ever behaved that way and I'm not sure if the E-M10 Mkii can.

Have you explored Focus Peaking to achieve a similar result?
I set mine uop on the Fn2 button.

Thanks for the reply.
Have tried as you suggest and no joy.
Still experiencing two images being taken with a single shutter press on an ad hoc basis. Have tried M/S/A/P and all are affected - I just can't predict when it will happen or work out why. Seems also to be accompanied by what I would describe as an imprecise shutter action. Sorry to be vague.
Any other thoughts?
Sadly, I'm already losing confidence here which is a real shame as it's a camera I so much want to like.
Am starting to wonder if there is some issue with the camera.

Are you getting two separate exposures or two recorded files? If it's the latter I'd try another card to be sure - perhaps it's a write error. If the former and you're sure you're not in a burst or bracket mode then it sounds faulty to me. Mine hasn't done anything like that since I owned it (Jan 18) nor my Mki in the previous few years.

Back