Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

What didn't you like about the XE range? Favourite camera is my X-Pro2, also have a X-E2

Just trying out the m4/3 gear, if I stay it will more than likely be with the Pen F
If Fuji brought out a smaller stabilised camera than the X-H1 it would be game over

I didn't get along great with the xpro1, not only was it sluggish, clunky and awkward to use but no tilt screen, poor evf and I discovered i really dislike RF style. A lot of this is personal preference of course, and later models were surely faster in use, but I would never chose a RF camera again. The only thing Fuji has over any M43 camera is that larger sensor, and many would say you'll get cleaner images with M43 as Fuji doesn't always play nicely when it comes to PP

The Pen F is pretty much an EM5 mkII in a different body, the em5 size is about as small as I'd go, or my hands would cramp up using larger lenses.

Actually, looking at the battery lever it doesn't look like the original

IMG_0228.JPG

EM5 MKII just arrived, opened the box, it looks immaculate, open the battery cover to insert the battery and the battery lever snaps in two. :mad:
oh shiite can you get a replacement. , superglue may or may not fix ,something like liquid metal they sell in car shops might do it

Last edited:
oh shiite can you get a replacement. , superglue may or may not fix ,something like liquid metal they sell in car shops might do it
I'd thought about that trying to repair, but me loose with the superglue would probably end in disaster. Replacement seems a better choice, but I'm struggling to find replacement doors at the moment. I could send it back, but I paid £415 for it and I'm not sure I'd get one anywhere near that price again. Actually I can still lock and unlock the battery door, so its functional

Last edited:
Camera Jungle.

Contact them and arrange a replacement. I got a less than par copy of a lens from MPB, they covered the courier to collect and send out a replacement. Do it as soon as possible so they don't try make like you did the damage, start by sending them that image

Contact them and arrange a replacement. I got a less than par copy of a lens from MPB, they covered the courier to collect and send out a replacement. Do it as soon as possible so they don't try make like you did the damage, start by sending them that image
Thanks, I have contacted them already and inc image. Waiting to see what they say

If your 17mm 2.8 is black and you fancy retrieving it for the back of the cupboard to sell to a loving new home, give me a nudge!
Nope it's silver sorry :)
If anyone else is interested I'll list it here - The e-group listing is still there, hope it's OK to plug it.
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47151&highlight=17mm

Bought it :D

Thanks you've saved me £360 - I was pondering this all day yesterday as that's a bargain price but I'm still convinced it's too large for the E-M10 Mkii so nice of you to remove the temptation.

If anyone thinks size really matters ;) I did this comparison to stop me buying that 12-40 PRO. :)
!7mm f2.8, 14-42 EZ, 17mm f1.8, Panasonic 25mm f1.7, 12-40 PRO

https://camerasize.com/compact/#633.94,633.409,633.383,633.685,633.412,ha,t

Thanks, I have contacted them already and inc image. Waiting to see what they say

I've replied to you over at the e-group
Luton Cameras have the replacement part.
http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/Spare...II_BatteryCover/E-M5mkII_Battery_CoverBK.html

I bought my E-M10 Mkii from Camera Jungle. When it arrived it had some scratches which shouldn't have been there as it was described as "Mint".
A bit of toing and froing on email and they agreed a partial refund which I was very happy with so I could keep the camera.
If you're happy with the camera and aren't scared to replace the door you might suggest they cover the cost of the part so you keep the camera?

Thanks you've saved me £360 - I was pondering this all day yesterday as that's a bargain price but I'm still convinced it's too large for the E-M10 Mkii so nice of you to remove the temptation.

It was my pleasure :D

If anyone thinks size really matters ;) I did this comparison to stop me buying that 12-40 PRO. :)
!7mm f2.8, 14-42 EZ, 17mm f1.8, Panasonic 25mm f1.7, 12-40 PRO

https://camerasize.com/compact/#633.94,633.409,633.383,633.685,633.412,ha,t

I've had one before with a previous EM5 MKII and it is a little large, but the quality of the optics makes it worth while. I think I'm gonna look for a 3rd party grip to make it more manageable.

Thanks, I saw your post on the e-group. Unfortunately thats the black one, and mine is silver.

I bought my E-M10 Mkii from Camera Jungle. When it arrived it had some scratches which shouldn't have been there as it was described as "Mint".
A bit of toing and froing on email and they agreed a partial refund which I was very happy with so I could keep the camera.
If you're happy with the camera and aren't scared to replace the door you might suggest they cover the cost of the part so you keep the camera?

I think I might keep the camera, especially if there prepared to refund the cost of the replacement part. The 12-40 is coming tomorrow and I'll have a wander and see if everything else is ok.

The 12-40 is coming tomorrow and I'll have a wander and see if everything else is ok.

If it's in good nick and you fancy a trade I have a like-new Pana-Leica 15mm 1.7 here to tempt you!

Bought this little beauty with travel in mind as much as anything, but I'd prefer an all in one zoom, weight doesn't bother me so much, not planning any travel anytime soon. See how you get along with the lens first anyway, but I paid the same for this if you were interested

Last edited:
I'd thought about that trying to repair, but me loose with the superglue would probably end in disaster. Replacement seems a better choice, but I'm struggling to find replacement doors at the moment. I could send it back, but I paid £415 for it and I'm not sure I'd get one anywhere near that price again. Actually I can still lock and unlock the battery door, so its functional

Maybe give Luton Cameras a call, they are advertising the replacement part in black for £12.35.

http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/Spare...II_BatteryCover/E-M5mkII_Battery_CoverBK.html

Well much to my surprise I have just bought a E-M1 and 12-40 lens, only went into JL to take back the wife's faulty Lavazza machine for a replacement.
Came home with a new camera combo and new coffee machine being delivered to local Waitrose tomorrow.

After all the rangefinder style talk found that the EM1 fitted very nicely in my hand, lens balances nicely too
New old stock just found and put out on display, apparently should have been in the clearance which finished last week.

Came with return within 35 days for full refund with two year guarantee and no i'm not saying what I paid for it.
Battery is charging as I type then the fun and games with a new menu system begins

Maybe give Luton Cameras a call, they are advertising the replacement part in black for £12.35.

Thanks Dave, mines a silver one and they're out of stock. Did email Luton Cameras and they say next delivery from Olympus will be first week in Sept. Camera Jungle have just responded to my email asking me to print out a return form, but I'm not completely sure I want to return it. I'm gonna give it a few Days and see if any other problems crop up.

Thanks Dave, mines a silver one and they're out of stock. Did email Luton Cameras and they say next delivery from Olympus will be first week in Sept. Camera Jungle have just responded to my email asking me to print out a return form, but I'm not completely sure I want to return it. I'm gonna give it a few Days and see if any other problems crop up.

If you decide to keep it ask camerajungle to get you a new door.

FWIW this is what my EM5 ii battery door lever looks like and it is original, had it from new

IMG_9458.jpg

I knew yours was silver, that’s why I suggested phoning them to ask ;)

An email to Olympus (well, a message on their website iirc) might even be worthwhile, they supplied me the little rubber covers that go on the bottom for free when my camera arrived missing it (bought from LCE, not new).

Quick question please, anyone know of a third party battery for the E-M1?
Usually use Ex-Pro, but apparently they are not chipped, don't charge in the Olympus charger or show battery level in camera

Thanks

Usually use Ex-Pro, but apparently they are not chipped, don't charge in the Olympus charger or show battery level in camera

Thanks

I bought some ExPro white batteries for the EM1/5 and some ExPro grey ones for my EM10 and they work fine with my Oly chargers.

I believe the same isn't true for the EM1ii.

To be honest, I know a lot of people speak favourably about ExPro batteries but nowadays I just tend to get official ones as they do last longer in my experience, both per-charge and total lifetime.

Tijuana did you get the MkII or MkI?

Tijuana did you get the MkII or MkI?

I bought the Mk1 Andy, only looked at cameras when we popped in to JL to take the wife's coffee machine back for a replacement.
Wanted to look at the Pen F, but they didn't have one, ended up buying a EM1 MkI and 12-40 lens.

I knew yours was silver, that’s why I suggested phoning them to ask ;)

Of course you did, its in the picture :D

An email to Olympus (well, a message on their website iirc) might even be worthwhile, they supplied me the little rubber covers that go on the bottom for free when my camera arrived missing it (bought from LCE, not new).
I might very well do that, thanks.

I bought some ExPro white batteries for the EM1/5 and some ExPro grey ones for my EM10 and they work fine with my Oly chargers.

I believe the same isn't true for the EM1ii.

To be honest, I know a lot of people speak favourably about ExPro batteries but nowadays I just tend to get official ones as they do last longer in my experience, both per-charge and total lifetime.

Just seen that the White ones work, but the Greys don't
Got several for my Fuji's and they seem fine, might get an original if I keep the camera, far from decided yet

Thanks
My secondhand EM1 Mk1 arrived with the original Olympus battery, a Hahnel battery and an Ansmann battery, all of which happily share the Olympus battery charger.

Last edited:
Rich... if you do have 2nd thoughts maybe we can do a trade for my Pen-f with grip...

Rich... if you do have 2nd thoughts maybe we can do a trade for my Pen-f with grip...

That could work Andy, not even used it yet so bit early to say much more
Give me a few days to see what happens please.

Just seen you are in Sawston, I'm not far away in St Ives, could be handy

Last edited:

Thanks
I have the grey ExPro ones and they work fine in my EM1 and charger.

Slightly off m/43 topic advice required.

Someone in my village is selling his backup Gripped Canon 5d MkII for £500, around 12,000 actuation. is this a good price and is this camera still a good option now the mkIII and mkIV are out?

Slightly off m/43 topic advice required.

Someone in my village is selling his backup Gripped Canon 5d MkII for £500, around 12,000 actuation. is this a good price and is this camera still a good option now the mkIII and mkIV are out?

Seems about right, sold mine for that a few years ago, but it had quite a few more clicks and no grip.
Was a good camera then and expect it still takes a good photo with the right lens and operator, think focusing was best if using just the centre point
Also a banding problem got mentioned, but can't say I ever noticed it, maybe worth a google though

Hi everyone not sure if any of you saw my recent thread about getting a M43.
Anyway I am hoping to get one end of this month maybe beginning of next month.
I will be purchasing 2nd hand due to costs etc.
I had decided on a EM1 mk1 but since looking at this thread have also seen the PEN F and the EM5 ii so I am querying about the benefits of each. I have a D500 which is my camera for birds etc The M43 is for a portable camera with better quality than a compact.

Last edited:
I had decided on a EM1 mk1 but since looking at this thread have also seen the PEN F and the E5 so I am querying about the benefits of each. I have a D500 which is my camera for birds etc The M43 is for a portable camera with better quality than a compact.

The E-M5ii is smaller than the the E-M1, has most of the same features and a few nice mod cons but does not have the phase detect AF and is less ergonomic to use. I personally think the E-M5ii is the best travel type camera assuming you don't need to track moving subjects.

The Pen-F really only has two trump cards in this competition. It's a thing of beauty, I think the finest looking digital camera hands down, and it has the newer 20mp sensor. Everything else is either the same or worse than the other two and it's not weather sealed.

As things stand the E-M1 represents best value for money I think. The E-M5ii makes more sense to buy new grey import as used prices are barely any lower. The Pen F really only makes sense if you've fallen in love with the looks and RF style.

Thought about the E-M10 at all? Some amazing deals on the Mk2.

I had decided on a EM1 mk1 but since looking at this thread have also seen the PEN F and the E-M5 so I am querying about the benefits of each. I have a D500 which is my camera for birds etc The M43 is for a portable camera with better quality than a compact.

If portability is a key ingredient then the E-M1 Mki is the largest of the cameras you've mentioned. None are that gigantic, this illustrates the differences.
http://j.mp/2vNg0ez

(The E5 is a 4/3rds camera and pretty ancient)

If you don't mind the slightly larger size then the E-M1 Mki is a used bargain.
As above the PEN-F is a beauty and has a newer sensor. The lack of a viewfinder bump makes it perhaps more pocketable.

I use an E-M10 Mkii which I love - it's the smallest of the OM-D line.
They were recently available new for a net price of £235 after cashback but sadly the prices have jumped up again and the cashback is over for the summer.

I had decided on a EM1 mk1 but since looking at this thread have also seen the PEN F and the E5 so I am querying about the benefits of each. I have a D500 which is my camera for birds etc The M43 is for a portable camera with better quality than a compact.

I love my EM1 Mk1, and my EM5 Mk2 is pretty decent too, the PEN F looks nice but it's a lot of money for what it is compared to the EM1 and EM5

What lens(es) will you be using as this could determine which body is best for you. My most used lens is the 12-40mm f2.8 (especially for travel) and it is far better balanced on the EM1 than the EM5-II and EM10 imo (I've owned all three). The Pen-F is a beautiful looking camera but there are a few negatives over the other bodies imo. Firstly the viewfinder isn't as big as the EM1 or EM5-II, plus it isn't weather sealed. Plus as there's no grip to spec of it's not great to use with larger/heavier lenses.

Back