Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

ah by the sound of that I would put a 95% certainty on it being when carried over the shoulder on tripod . the sun has been rather intense this year . and this might even affect dslr bodies to . a definite scenario to avoid I suppose this is a wake up for the mirrorless gang . I cant really see it happening when the suns behind you as to get angle to hit the sensor/evf correctly the sun would have to be really low with no power to do damage

Thanks Steve - almost preferred using m43 to the d500, maybe because I don't have a long enough lens for the Nikon so I "make do" with what I can get from the Oly

Wireless release question, in the past i have bought and been happy with the cheap eBay units, i cant find one though that says for use with the EM1MK11,is it the same as the EM1MK1 and em10mk11 for connections.

Been out both last night for sunset and this morning for sunrise. Wifey has the laptop though so need to wait to process anything! doh!

Wireless release question, in the past i have bought and been happy with the cheap eBay units, i cant find one though that says for use with the EM1MK11,is it the same as the EM1MK1 and em10mk11 for connections.

The EM1ii has a 2.5mm remote release port, by the looks of it.

I believe the EM1 and EM10 use the USB port (from memory) and the EM1ii uses a different USB port (USB-C) so the old ones won't be compatible.

Last edited:
I thought having WiFi in the later cameras would mean people with smart phones would prefer to use that.

I thought having WiFi in the later cameras would mean people with smart phones would prefer to use that.
I'm not aware of a 'true' wifi intervalometer connecting phone to camera, unless you count MIOPS products as such?

Last edited:
Its cumbersome to use the app IMO.

I've opted for a wired release because very very rarely do I actually need wireless, but for when I do, the app will suffice.

If I needed a wireless option regularly. I would buy a wireless remote.

Its cumbersome to use the app IMO.

I've opted for a wired release because very very rarely do I actually need wireless, but for when I do, the app will suffice.

If I needed a wireless option regularly. I would buy a wireless remote.
Yes. It's nice to have a remote display and you can verify a shot was actually taken on the app. But the remote controller has a physical button, that you can operate from a pocket or behind your back if you are in the picture yourself.
The battery has gone flat in my wireless controller. So I just use the app on those odd occasions as well.

Bit clunky and I can't use my phone with gloves ;)

But that would mean having my phone turned on :eek::D

My phone is always on. The battery lasts a week. And the Nokia 3210 it has physical buttons. I'm not sure how to put the app on it though. :)

a question for omd10-mkii owners does anyone know how to brighten or enlarge the focus point when viewed through the EVF both me and the wife find it very dim and hard to see especially on dull days . its the only downside to the camera so far

a question for omd10-mkii owners does anyone know how to brighten or enlarge the focus point when viewed through the EVF both me and the wife find it very dim and hard to see especially on dull days . its the only downside to the camera so far
You can change the size of the AF square in the super control panel. Unfortunately ‘at rest’ it is black and difficult to see, I often need to half press the shutter to light it up green to see it.

You lost me at super control panel . More info needed I’m afraid

You lost me at super control panel . More info needed I’m afraid
Ok so assuming you’ve got it set when you press the OK button it should bring up a screen (super control panel) giving you the options to change loads of different settings such as WB and AF mode. One of those allows you to change the AF point ‘layout’, allowing you to choose single point, auto, a group of points. Also with single point you have the option of normal or small.

Ok so assuming you’ve got it set when you press the OK button it should bring up a screen (super control panel) giving you the options to change loads of different settings such as WB and AF mode. One of those allows you to change the AF point ‘layout’, allowing you to choose single point, auto, a group of points. Also with single point you have the option of normal or small.
Yep can do that but the focus point stays the same size and certainly doesn’t go green when focus achieved. I.e with the g80 I can adjust the size of the focus point by usuing finger control

Last edited:
Yep can do that but the focus point stays the same size and certainly doesn’t go green when focus achieved. I.e with the g80 I can adjust the size of the focus point by usuing finger control
So it doesn’t go green with half press of the shutter? Do you have it set to C-AF?

Alternatively make sure you have the AF illuminator set to On. It’s in the menus under AF/MF IIRC

Alternatively make sure you have the AF illuminator set to On. It’s in the menus under AF/MF IIRC
Nearly there LOL it was the af area pointer cheers , thanks for the help :clap::clap:

No problem. What do you mean by AF area pointer?
thats what its called in the menu . changed the illuminator to on and nothing , this one is two below it turned it on and bingo . ,keep her ladyship quite anyway

Well after the large firmware update a few months ago for the EM1MK11 I thouighti would try C-AF+tracking again using this guys settings
https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/autofocus_birdtips

Its still crap as far as i can see,how can a system when its locked on say a seagull leave a white seagull as you pan past a black lamp post and think its staying with the target, gone back to single point.

I tried C-AF and it just doesn't do it for me, I now just quick bursts of S-AF and refocus.

I tried C-AF and it just doesn't do it for me, I now just quick bursts of S-AF and refocus.

Nothing wrong with C-AF on the EM1MK11 its only if you add tracking, i use S-AF on the EM10MK11 for action shots.

As mentioned, I had the weekend so I went to Cabo de Roca. The most western point of continental Europe for the sunset :)

JLE10884.jpg

JLE10923.jpg

JLE10892-2.jpg

JLE10932-3.jpg

Hope you enjoy :)

Lovely set of images

how can a system when its locked on say a seagull leave a white seagull as you pan past a black lamp post and think its staying with the target, gone back to single point.

If it's any consolation, when you add tracking to the d500 it too gets confused and darts off when it gets confused with objects with more contrast. Nothing appears 100% reliable

Back