Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Top one D850, bottom EM1 (y)

Interesting, I have only looked on smartphone.........the edge definition on the lower one stood out to me and as a recent adoptor of the EM1ii and that lens it stood out to me compared to the top one, bearing in mind I am not used to seeing D850 & lens combo landscapes!

What it does highlight IMO is that the Olympus lenses are stellar performers :)

OK what next in flight? I've done birds bees and squirrels, now there's butterflys. Maybe moths, cats etc?? :LOL:
Fast jets

Not really took photos of flowers - with the lowly OMD EM10ii and 35-100 f4 at Trengwainton Gardens nr Penzance. Has made me think about getting a macro lens !

Paper flowers by Justa1972, on Flickr

if this is your "eye" on flowers...i think a macro would be a waste of money...this is how imho flowers are seen by us and loved...
photography....painting with light...light..3 types...quantity, quality and direction...as above
fact!!
smashing shot...my G1 kit lens shot at
TRERICE

TR77 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

and btw...i was reaching for the stars recently and couldnt reach an OMD EM10ii...this is M4/3 country and i think your body coupled to that lens you used is ok by me
cheers
geof

Taken on my EM1 Mkii 12-100mm F4 Pro IS yesterday.

43840228994_1ddfb68524_z.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29N1CH9][/URL]

Last edited:
Did you go to the St Katherine’s docks festival or go on the Lady Daphne barge?

Neither! I work near Aldgate and was in the office late so decided to walk back to London Bridge by the River via Tower Bridge - never done the walk before amazingly. Didn't go to St Katherine's Dock though that is nice also!

Neither! I work near Aldgate and was in the office late so decided to walk back to London Bridge by the River via Tower Bridge - never done the walk before amazingly. Didn't go to St Katherine's Dock though that is nice also!

It sounds like a nice walk. The festival and boat ride were great, all photos of it were 35mm (Olympus 35SP), and will be on next weekends video release on youtoob.

Sitting on a park bench in Greenwich Park when this Squirrel came up and sat next to me on the arm of the bench.
The little fellow allowed me to stick a macro lens in his face. As long as I kept giving him the nuts he didn't mind :)

EM10ii with 30mm macro lens.

Sitting on a park bench in Greenwich Park when this Squirrel came up and sat next to me on the arm of the bench.
The little fellow allowed me to stick a macro lens in his face. As long as I kept giving him the nuts he didn't mind :)

The detail is pretty amazing, looks even better on Flickr. Good job (y)

He must have sorry to see you go..........though suspect cupboard love ;)

But talk about close up (y)

CHUCKALUCK

the lens to beat all lenses...used properly...at the right moment

Henri Cartier-Bresson (French: [kaʁtje bʁɛsɔ̃]; August 22, 1908 – August 3, 2004) was a French humanist photographer considered a master of candid photography, and an early user of 35 mm film. He pioneered the genre of street photography, and viewed photography as capturing a decisive moment. His work has influenced many photographers.[1]....thanks to wikipedia

également vous!!

cheers
geof

A couple of our beautiful 3 year old Cocker - Charlie, in a rare calm moment. EM1 MK II and Olympus 40-150 F2.8 Pro (1st shot at ISO 1000)

Last edited:
Right so my new (to me) 40-150 f2.8 and teleconverter has arrived. Im assuming the sensible thing with the tripod collar is to keep it but also use that for the strap too? ie I currently use peak design strap so it would be sensible to attach one end of the strap to the tripod collar and one to the camera body? Or do people attach straps to the collar only?

Right so my new (to me) 40-150 f2.8 and teleconverter has arrived. Im assuming the sensible thing with the tripod collar is to keep it but also use that for the strap too? ie I currently use peak design strap so it would be sensible to attach one end of the strap to the tripod collar and one to the camera body? Or do people attach straps to the collar only?
I don't like having a strap attached to the tripod foot of the lens as it doesn't sit right for me, I have the tripod foot on top of the lens as sometimes hold it with that when carrying and find it gets in the way when shooting if it's under the lens (YMMV). I have one of the left body lug (looking from the back fo the camera) and one on the tripod plate. I hear some people say that this can put too much strain on the lens mount with heavy lenses, but I've done it for years with my D750/D850 and 150-600mm and never had an issue. When I'm walking around the lens is pointing down and so no torsional stress on the mount.

Got the final bit to the start of my long exposure stuff. So its off to the beach tonight for some sunset long exposure fun :D

I don't like having a strap attached to the tripod foot of the lens as it doesn't sit right for me, I have the tripod foot on top of the lens as sometimes hold it with that when carrying and find it gets in the way when shooting if it's under the lens (YMMV). I have one of the left body lug (looking from the back fo the camera) and one on the tripod plate. I hear some people say that this can put too much strain on the lens mount with heavy lenses, but I've done it for years with my D750/D850 and 150-600mm and never had an issue. When I'm walking around the lens is pointing down and so no torsional stress on the mount.

Cheers, gives me something to think about for sure, you raise an interesting point about the stress on lens mount, I guess as long as there isn't any then whatever I settle on will be ok. I was always under the impression most people used the tripod mount on the lens as the lens is often heavier than the camera if you see what I mean?

Cheers, gives me something to think about for sure, you raise an interesting point about the stress on lens mount, I guess as long as there isn't any then whatever I settle on will be ok. I was always under the impression most people used the tripod mount on the lens as the lens is often heavier than the camera if you see what I mean?
I've heard a lot of people say that, but I've never actually seen it in the field, or even on the promo pictures of straps. However, do what you feel comfortable with. I'm not saying the way I do it is right (or wrong) but I've not run into any issues to date (y)

A couple of our beautiful 3 year old Cocker - Charlie, in a rare calm moment. EM1 MK II and Olympus 40-150 F2.8 Pro (1st shot at ISO 1000)

A handsome dog, well captured. (y)

Got the final bit to the start of my long exposure stuff. So its off to the beach tonight for some sunset long exposure fun :D
Looking forward to seeing your efforts

Just got back in from the first trial run, importing now...watch this space!

OK, first time ever shooting on this setup, so be gentle.

JLE11046.jpg

JLE11048.jpg

JLE11049.jpg

JLE11050.jpg

JLE11051.jpg

JLE11054.jpg

I have to say, It is a real challenge to really think out the composition whilst battling the light which dies off VERY quickly. It is a very refreshing challenge at that.

Processing is a bit different between each shot as I was and am experimenting between settings and processing techniques for it.

Hope you like!

OK, first time ever shooting on this setup, so be gentle.

JLE11046.jpg

JLE11048.jpg

JLE11049.jpg

JLE11050.jpg

JLE11051.jpg

JLE11054.jpg

I have to say, It is a real challenge to really think out the composition whilst battling the light which dies off VERY quickly. It is a very refreshing challenge at that.

Processing is a bit different between each shot as I was and am experimenting between settings and processing techniques for it.

Hope you like!
Really nice shots, although a little bit ruined by the magenta spots, did you have some dirt or something on the lens/filter?

What is the new gear/setup you’ve been trying out?

Really nice shots, although a little bit ruined by the magenta spots, did you have some dirt or something on the lens/filter?

What is the new gear/setup you’ve been trying out?
Thanks for the kind words. Hmmm the magenta spots, I just thought that was a lens flare from the sun of some description? I will check the filter, the sensor should be clean. Thanks for that. More testing needed.

Recently got myself setup with a LEE Filter holder, Shapeways lens adapter for my 7-14 2.8 PRO and a NISI ND3.0 10 Stop filter. This was my first outing with it all.

That's flare from the sun.

Did you use a lens hood?

Sometimes it's unavoidable but some lenses flare more than others.

Lens has a built in hood but on those shots I am shooting almost directly into the sun anyway!

That's flare from the sun.

Did you use a lens hood?

Sometimes it's unavoidable but some lenses flare more than others.

Thanks for the kind words. Hmmm the magenta spots, I just thought that was a lens flare from the sun of some description? I will check the filter, the sensor should be clean. Thanks for that. More testing needed.

Recently got myself setup with a LEE Filter holder, Shapeways lens adapter for my 7-14 2.8 PRO and a NISI ND3.0 10 Stop filter. This was my first outing with it all.
Sorry, didn’t explain myself very well. I got that it was flare but from my experience I’ve noticed that a bit of dust or something on the lens/filter can cause flare. Of course it can just be the lens and angle of the sun etc etc.

Should be a reasonably easy fix in pp though?

Sorry, didn’t explain myself very well. I got that it was flare but from my experience I’ve noticed that a bit of dust or something on the lens/filter can cause flare. Of course it can just be the lens and angle of the sun etc etc.

Should be a reasonably easy fix in pp though?

Morning!

TBH I didn't think of fixing it as I liked the flare, but I do agree that yes the image could benefit from it being fixed :)

Any advice on how to fix this would be great :)

Morning!

TBH I didn't think of fixing it as I liked the flare, but I do agree that yes the image could benefit from it being fixed :)

Any advice on how to fix this would be great :)
Well it's only preference tbh, and normally I like flare but it's just on those (the first two especially) they are more two 'blobs' of magenta rather than the usual flare look. The images themselves are cracking.

Which software do you use?

Well it's only preference tbh, and normally I like flare but it's just on those (the first two especially) they are more two 'blobs' of magenta rather than the usual flare look. The images themselves are cracking.

Which software do you use?

I agree, especially due to the discoloration on the rocks. Worth trying to remove them to see anyway!

I use Lightroom for everything generally speaking. But I have Photoshop as well :)

Back