Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Nice set Jake, appreciate you posting your setup too. Did you use live bulb? Personally I find the flare, in the first two at least, distracting. It's not quite as noticeable in the others.

Thanks Jakeblu!

No live bulb this time. My remote shutter is on order, so waiting for that. So was using the built in stop exposure times.

Gonna have a crack at removing the flare tonight :) - will post results!

Few things from this:

- I need to do something about my camera strap, it flapping about in the wind was annoying, yet I find it useful. Looking into maybe a solution from peak design
- ND Grads needed, I am thinking my first will be a reverse ND grad actually, given how close I live to the coast line and its where I take the majority of my shots.
- Better tripod. My Velbon has been great up until now, but using it for long exposure work, its not thaaat stable. So I'll start hunting for one...I am thinking Manfrotto BeFree Advanced Carbon Fibre.
- Better shoes! Like an idiot I went down in flip flops and soon realised its not great for scrambling across rocks :p

Last edited:
I agree, especially due to the discoloration on the rocks. Worth trying to remove them to see anyway!

I use Lightroom for everything generally speaking. But I have Photoshop as well :)

I would try brushing in green tint in LR to try and neutralise the magenta, and maybe some desaturation as well. If that doesn't work you could try some delicate clone/stamping in PS. If that doesn't work you may have to try individual colour changing/brushing in PS, but I don't know how to do that. I wish they'd add that option in LR, I always found it really useful in aperture.

I would try brushing in green tint in LR to try and neutralise the magenta, and maybe some desaturation as well. If that doesn't work you could try some delicate clone/stamping in PS. If that doesn't work you may have to try individual colour changing/brushing in PS, but I don't know how to do that. I wish they'd add that option in LR, I always found it really useful in aperture.
Thanks snerkler, will give this a go tonight :)

That colour brushing is easy to do in Afinity photo,I think you tried it didn’t you,the app I mean

That colour brushing is easy to do in Afinity photo,I think you tried it didn’t you,the app I mean
I've tried that many I forget which is which tbh. But I'm set on LR tbh, if I ever need to do something else that I can't in LR I'll pull my finger out and learn PS properly ;)

Well my EM5 MkII and 12-40 arrived a couple of days ago. It’s a lovely day so off out to try it out. It’s bloody small, I’ve had to put a grip on it.

question for all you prime M4/3 shooters out there.

Whilst I love my Olympus Pro F2.8 lens, I have been starting to wonder if using some primes might rekindle a little magic and creativity in my daily photography. With that in mind, for a general set of prime lenses for city walkabouts, general people shooting etc (although obviously not wildlife or sports), what focal lengths would you choose and which lenses please. I currently don't own many primes but I do have the following

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Would I need need something wider / longer. I know the Olympus trinity F1.2 primes (17mm, 25mm and 45mm) are the be and end all, but as I have those focal lengths already covered, I was thinking about maybe a 12mm and the 75mm ?

Thoughts please ?

Whilst I love my Olympus Pro F2.8 lens, I have been starting to wonder if using some primes might rekindle a little magic and creativity in my daily photography. With that in mind, for a general set of prime lenses for city walkabouts, general people shooting etc (although obviously not wildlife or sports), what focal lengths would you choose and which lenses please. I currently don't own many primes but I do have the following

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Would I need need something wider / longer. I know the Olympus trinity F1.2 primes (17mm, 25mm and 45mm) are the be and end all, but as I have those focal lengths already covered, I was thinking about maybe a 12mm and the 75mm ?

Thoughts please ?

I wouldn't have much use for the 75mm, although the Olympus 60mm macro lens is excellent.
My daughter has one and the results are excellent, good value too.

My most recent purchase has been the 12mm, early results are very encouraging, it's small and well built.
One bad point, it doesn't come with a hood and the genuine one is just under 60 quid.
Some generic ones of the same design for about half that, I bought a screw on one for a fiver.

Although you have the 17mm, you might like to give the PL 15mm a try, really nice contrast and colours

Well my EM5 MkII and 12-40 arrived a couple of days ago. It’s a lovely day so off out to try it out. It’s bloody small, I’ve had to put a grip on it.
It's a lovely camera/lens combo, hope you enjoy it. That's the reason I went with the EM1 tbh (y)

I currently don't own many primes but I do have the following

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Thoughts please ?

I have similar primes though my 25mm is f1.7 and my 45mm is f1.8.
I’ve never felt any need for anything longer.
I also have the cheaper kit zooms.
In practical terms I don’t find the 14mm on my zoom that much more useful than the 17mm prime.
I did have a hankering for something wider so picked up the 9mm fisheye bodycap figuring it I used it a lot I’d go for the Samyang 7.5mm. It’s surprisingly decent but I’m not sure I need anything better.

IMHO you’ve got what you need though that’s no reason not to try the 12mm if you fancy it.

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Thoughts please ?

I tend to use the 17mm most on my Pen F. I have a 12mm but rarely use it.
I aslo have the 75mm and love it. Amazing lens, and used far more than I expected.

I you haven't got the 30mm macro lens yet and you are thinking about it. Go for it. I love this little lens.

Actually I totally forgot i've also got the Olympus 60mm macro as well. Never used that as a general shooting lens before. Should be interesting.

OK, first time ever shooting on this setup, so be gentle.

JLE11046.jpg

JLE11048.jpg

JLE11049.jpg

JLE11050.jpg

JLE11051.jpg

JLE11054.jpg

I have to say, It is a real challenge to really think out the composition whilst battling the light which dies off VERY quickly. It is a very refreshing challenge at that.

Processing is a bit different between each shot as I was and am experimenting between settings and processing techniques for it.

Hope you like!
Hi Jake,

Hope you don't mind, I know it says on your avatar not to edit your images but I had a go at seeing if I could get rid of the flare spot from the first pic. Whilst not perfect (only had the small file size to work with and only spent 5 mins on it) it does show that you should be able to remove it should you wish. Would you like me to post my effort?

Hi Jake,

Hope you don't mind, I know it says on your avatar not to edit your images but I had a go at seeing if I could get rid of the flare spot from the first pic. Whilst not perfect (only had the small file size to work with and only spent 5 mins on it) it does show that you should be able to remove it should you wish. Would you like me to post my effort?
Sure Snerkler, please go ahead :)

I didn't get around to trying last night, very intrigued to what you came up with!

Last edited:
Tried the EM10MK11 in camera selective colour today, i can see it working for somethings like red berries on a tree but the ship's panels are too close to yellow.

P9130255.jpg

That's flare from the sun.

Did you use a lens hood?

Sometimes it's unavoidable but some lenses flare more than others.

The 7-14 f/2.8 has an in-built lens hood but flares really easily, probably due to the bulbous front element.

I got flare from it even with the sun outside the frame. Other than that it's a great lens.

Impressive Toby, how did you do it?

Selected that area and removed purples and magenta from it in the HSL panel?
I wish you could do that in LR as that would have made life so much easier, or if you can do that then please show me how (y) As I mentioned previously it's one of the things that I wish LR would have, the ability to brush in individual colour changes, AFAIK there's only saturation, tint and the ability to use a colour brush to add colour. Being able to brush in individual colour changes using HSL panels would be great. I'm sure you can do this in PS, I just don't know how. I wish they'd incorporate PS's clone/stamp in LR too as I find LR's clone/heal a bit clumsy.

Thanks jakeblu. I used a brush changing the tint more to green, decreased the temp of the brush, decreased the saturation and added a bit of blue colour. I then tidied a couple of other bits up using clone/stamp in PS. It's quite a 'fudge' way of doing it, but without better PS skills it's the only way I can do it ;)

I wish you could do that in LR as that would have made life so much easier, or if you can do that then please show me how (y) As I mentioned previously it's one of the things that I wish LR would have, the ability to brush in individual colour changes, AFAIK there's only saturation, tint and the ability to use a colour brush to add colour. Being able to brush in individual colour changes using HSL panels would be great. I'm sure you can do this in PS, I just don't know how. I wish they'd incorporate PS's clone/stamp in LR too as I find LR's clone/heal a bit clumsy.

Thanks jakeblu. I used a brush changing the tint more to green, decreased the temp of the brush, decreased the saturation and added a bit of blue colour. I then tidied a couple of other bits up using clone/stamp in PS. It's quite a 'fudge' way of doing it, but without better PS skills it's the only way I can do it ;)

It's more PS I'm thinking aye, I do switch between the two, or used to a lot at least. LR needs to add HSL to that brush for sure.

It's more PS I'm thinking aye, I do switch between the two, or used to a lot at least. LR needs to add HSL to that brush for sure.
Maybe you could join the vloggers and post a video on how to do it in PS :LOL:

It was a joke tbh as I believe he hates vloggers ;)

To be fair, only the ones that don't actually do anything - like the bandwagon jumpers lately doing previews of gear without ever having laid hands on. Watching them is no better than taking the Bingo crowd in here seriously. Y'know the ones, the little clique of old women who clatter together to try beat you with their wet brollies because you knocked one over accidentally? :D

I wish I lived by the sea again.
so do I it takes me 10 minutes to get there , I only used to have to walk to the top of the road

I wish I lived by the sea again.
I am about a 15min walk away. I make a point of going regularly because I will only be annoyed when the winter is here and I cannot make as much use of it!

Here are this evenings efforts. Same beach, different location.

JLE31057.jpg

JLE31058.jpg

JLE31061.jpg

I have another, but I am undecided on sharing it. :)

EDIT: Tempted to start a thread for more focused critique.

Last edited:
I am about a 15min walk away. I make a point of going regularly because I will only be annoyed when the winter is here and I cannot make as much use of it!

JLE31057.jpg

JLE31058.jpg

JLE31061.jpg

Loving these long exposure pics (y)

JLE31057.jpg

JLE31058.jpg

JLE31061.jpg

Another great set

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Thoughts please ?

The 75mm f/1.8 would complement what you have but it is not as versatile I guess. It was probably the sharpest prime in the Olympus m4/3 lineup for a while until the f/1.2 lenses came out. At f/1.8 you will get plenty of subject separation, which is more difficult to achieve with shorter focal length lenses such as the 12 f/2.0. The 75 f/1.8 is a really great lens but I don't use mine very often I have to admit. Last time I used it was for a school play in low artificial light where I was a fair distance away from the actors.

If you use your 17 1.8 often but are struggling to get the whole scene in the 12 f/2.0 might make sense.

I guess it really depends what you shoot and whether it's in good light or low light that determines which additional prime will make sense. I've got 12mm / 17mm / 25mm / 45mm / 60mm macro / 75 mm primes and use the 17mm / 45,mm / 60mm macro primes most often.

Back