Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

question for all you prime M4/3 shooters out there.

Whilst I love my Olympus Pro F2.8 lens, I have been starting to wonder if using some primes might rekindle a little magic and creativity in my daily photography. With that in mind, for a general set of prime lenses for city walkabouts, general people shooting etc (although obviously not wildlife or sports), what focal lengths would you choose and which lenses please. I currently don't own many primes but I do have the following

Olympus 17mm F1.8
Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4
Noticron 42.5mm F1.2

Would I need need something wider / longer. I know the Olympus trinity F1.2 primes (17mm, 25mm and 45mm) are the be and end all, but as I have those focal lengths already covered, I was thinking about maybe a 12mm and the 75mm ?

Thoughts please ?

Only you can really know what focal lengths you need, you have the classic lengths covered so what else do you want?

Everything :D

Thanks all.

I am about a 15min walk away. I make a point of going regularly because I will only be annoyed when the winter is here and I cannot make as much use of it!

Here are this evenings efforts. Same beach, different location.

JLE31057.jpg

JLE31058.jpg

JLE31061.jpg

I have another, but I am undecided on sharing it. :)

EDIT: Tempted to start a thread for more focused critique.
There is a thread for MFT pics in photos for pleasure , can you post these there as well please

My E-M5's shutter has just stuck, annoyingly while I'm on holiday. Tried whacking the base plate with lens off and power on, no joy.

Borked ?
Unfortunately it sounds so :( What's the shutter count roughly, any idea?

Unfortunately it sounds so :( What's the shutter count roughly, any idea?

No, can't get to the menus either with the shutter down. It was a purchase from MPB just over three weeks ago so will see what their customer support is like I guess...
Annoying that it's happened on holiday, luckily I have Canon EOS 300x with a few rolls of Ektar with me also

No, can't get to the menus either with the shutter down. It was a purchase from MPB just over three weeks ago so will see what their customer support is like I guess...
Annoying that it's happened on holiday, luckily I have Canon EOS 300x with a few rolls of Ektar with me also
Contact MPB asap even if you can't send it back until you're away.

Warranty is for 1 month, so you should be good!

Contacted MPB, will await a reply.

Has anyone here experience the shutter lock up problem with OM-D cameras ? It appears it was a common failing with early E-M5 and E-M10 models ?
No, but after a quick google it does seem like it's not an uncommon issue :(

Yeah, I noticed also. I really like the E-M5. It does everything I need to whilst being cheap second hand, shame it appears as though it's not that reliable over time
Whilst not ‘uncommon’ you’re still pretty damn unlucky to have a failure :( I haven’t a clue really but I bet percentage failures is less than 0.05%

Yeah, I noticed also. I really like the E-M5. It does everything I need to whilst being cheap second hand, shame it appears as though it's not that reliable over time
I feel for you, I had the sunspot issue in my EVF, and there are seemingly lots of posts when I googled it. But in all reality, its quite rare and I was extremely unlucky for it to have happened to me. I don't think anyone on this forum has had the same issue.

As disappointed and annoyed as I was when it happened, It didn't put me off olympus, still shooting with my, replaced, EM5 MKII (y)

Just a heads up, I have a wanted thread looking for a Oly 40-150mm f4-5.6 if anyone is thinking of moving one on.

Unfortunately the Harrison cameras event is a Thursday so I won't be able to get :(

Nothing within a 100 miles of me by the looks of things.
Pity it might be fun but I really don't need my appetite whetting for a camera and lenses I can't afford ;)

Perhaps worth bookmarking in case something comes up?

Got up earlier than needed for work today and took my camera gear then made a pit stop on the way to the Office.

xDAt1Fq.jpg

Been spying this location out for a few weeks and have been waiting for the right combination of low tide and sunrise time!

Been in the office all day just itching to get home and process up the photos.

@Jake Another lovely shot. It must be great to have that scene on your drive to work.

@Jake Another lovely shot. It must be great to have that scene on your drive to work.
Thanks! This is just the behind the scenes from the phone. Fingers crossed the one from the actual camera is good :D

Location wise I am blessed. LOTS of good spots all within close proximity either by car, foot, or train. A friend at work does landscape work and in a few works when we start getting clouds we're gonna go out scoping more locations on weekends. Should be able to share some REALLY nice stuff then :)

(providing I get the shot, hehe)

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, not had a chance to finish these off and get the processing where I want them!

Enjoy :) - Some Portugal sunrise!

JLE01067.jpg

JLE01071-2.jpg

Also just ordered a reverse ND filter! Looking forward to having a play with that!

Contacted MPB, will await a reply.

Has anyone here experience the shutter lock up problem with OM-D cameras ? It appears it was a common failing with early E-M5 and E-M10 models ?

No, but when I had my EPL-5 I did, Had to have a new shutter mechanism, £90 from Oly service. Seems like a not uncommon problem with Oly cameras. With my EM1 ii, I mainly use the electronic shutter :)

No, but when I had my EPL-5 I did, Had to have a new shutter mechanism, £90 from Oly service. Seems like a not uncommon problem with Oly cameras. With my EM1 ii, I mainly use the electronic shutter :)

Not something i have seen a lot about

Cheap 4eur chinese remote shutter has made its way from somewhere in China all the way to Portugal, it arrived in the country at the end of last week. Looking forward to testing that out this week.

Cheap 4eur chinese remote shutter has made its way from somewhere in China all the way to Portugal, it arrived in the country at the end of last week. Looking forward to testing that out this week.

The Canon RS-60E3 works great as a wired release for the E-M1II as well.

This should really be a WAMT (might post there too)

This morning I swapped onto my 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro and the lens cap just pinged off while I was lifting it out of the bag.......ok thinks clip it back on whilst I sort the gear.

Well it did not just pingoff it actually fell apart :(. Examining carefully it looked like the construction relies on two <0.5mm lines of glue to hold it all together.........and for the life of me (glue failure aside) I could not get the thing to refit so that it looked (worked) ok

Suffice to say Olympus will be getting a call from me but compared to the apparent construction of the cap on the 40-150m Pro it is one delicate poorly designed embarrassment!!!!

Alternative action as well as getting an Olympus replacement is that get a non brand 62mm centre action cap.

This should really be a WAMT (might post there too)

This morning I swapped onto my 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro and the lens cap just pinged off while I was lifting it out of the bag.......ok thinks clip it back on whilst I sort the gear.

Well it did not just pingoff it actually fell apart :(. Examining carefully it looked like the construction relies on two <0.5mm lines of glue to hold it all together.........and for the life of me (glue failure aside) I could not get the thing to refit so that it looked (worked) ok

Suffice to say Olympus will be getting a call from me but compared to the apparent construction of the cap on the 40-150m Pro it is one delicate poorly designed embarrassment!!!!

Alternative action as well as getting an Olympus replacement is that get a non brand 62mm centre action cap.
I buy packs of cheap ones online for about 1 euro each. Slightly thicker. But for protection, that's OK.
Ironically, I always lose the Olympus ones, but 'never' lose the cheapo ones!

Back from a quick trip to a new location. Praia do Abano.

JLE41075.jpg

Overexposed the sky, but still just about works I think. A graduated ND would have been perfect here as the rocks were quite dull and dark and I was metering for there instead of the bright sky. Must buy one of those next!

I buy packs of cheap ones online for about 1 euro each. Slightly thicker. But for protection, that's OK.
Ironically, I always lose the Olympus ones, but 'never' lose the cheapo ones!

Sounds like pretty bad luck there. As above I buy cheap pinch centre caps from eBay for a quid or so with strings on them to clip to the strap.
My "official" Olympus and Panasonic caps stay in the boxes at home in case I choose to resell.
Also as above, never lost a cheap lens cap... :)

Good luck with Olympus, hopefully they'll pop another one in the post to you without charging these ridiculous prices!
https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/lenses/accessories/lens-cap

Last edited:
Looking to take a photo of the moon last night with my EM5II and the Panasonic 45-175 and I had loads of bother. Basically I couldn't focus on the moon at all, even manually and using the magnify. The moon was just a very bright ball in the viewfinder, but when I viewed the image on screen it was slightly under exposed. Anyone any idea what I was doing wrong? Is it a setting I've got wrong that shows the moon as a bright ball regardless of the exposure setting?

Looking to take a photo of the moon last night with my EM5II and the Panasonic 45-175 and I had loads of bother. Basically I couldn't focus on the moon at all, even manually and using the magnify. The moon was just a very bright ball in the viewfinder, but when I viewed the image on screen it was slightly under exposed. Anyone any idea what I was doing wrong? Is it a setting I've got wrong that shows the moon as a bright ball regardless of the exposure setting?

Have you got ‘live view boost’ on or off? That caught me out first time I used manual mode.

Have you got ‘live view boost’ on or off? That caught me out first time I used manual mode.
You're right, I did have it on. Thanks. If the moon is out tonight I'll try again.

Back