Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

JLE81085-4.jpg

Been out again tonight, this time took a friends ND Grads with me, my god...the difference they make!

Now I want to buy those...oops.
Cracking shot Jake.

Question guys.... how do you remove the tripod collar from the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro lens?

Thanks, the Ruddy turnstone in non-breeding plumage looks about right.

Cheers Keith
nope its just a slightly over enhanced turnstone Steve looks like a juvenile going into winter plumage , but still a cracking shot considering how down you were the other day

Last edited:
nope its just a slightly over enhanced turnstone Steve , but still a cracking shot considering how down you were the other day
Cheers Jeff, its yours and others encouragement that has helped me improve, at least a little anyway.

Still cannot get a bird in flight though. :(

Cheers Jeff, its yours and others encouragement that has helped me improve, at least a little anyway.

Still cannot get a bird in flight though. :(
I dont really know much about the Olly 5 series Steve but to all accounts there a tad to slow on a/f for b.i.f . i/we do struggle with the omd10-mkii which is supposedly a bit faster but thats way way behind my hit rate with the panasonic g80 which again is totally surpassed by the g9 and Olly 1-mk2 . I have been lusting after a Olly 1-mk1 for a while who knows if the price is right I might just go for one

The 75-300 is a good range on a MFT mike ,the wife does well with her Panasonic version . But I really do like the look of the 60mm macro ,hmmmm another body or another lens

My eyes widened a little when you said 75-300.
Just had a look at price and there’s not a massive amount between mk1 and mk2. Do you know if one is better than the other?

I think the mk11 is supposed to be better, not a bad price at the moment with cash back

Really pushed the boat out this time guys.

JLE21114.jpg

Even better, it works as well!

€4 from ebay with free postage from China! Awesome!

Took nearly 2 months to arrive...but for €4 I am not complaining :p

@mikew.

Are you talking Olympus 75-300?

Would you rate it better than the Panasonic 100-300 MkII?

Would you rate it better than the Panasonic 100-300 MkII?

No idea but i think the MK11 panny may focus quicker, i needed to buy Olympus to use pro-capture L, plus of course it was stupid cheap. ;)

The Pany 100-300 is brighter at all focal lengths [obviously from 100 onward] - I had the mk1 and found it fine, I didn't think the WR and better AF were worth £200 extra, but the mkII also works with Dual IS, with the mk1 you can only use the lens OIS - that's the case on the G80 at least.

The Pany 100-300 is brighter at all focal lengths [obviously from 100 onward] - I had the mk1 and found it fine, I didn't think the WR and better AF were worth £200 extra, but the mkII also works with Dual IS, with the mk1 you can only use the lens OIS - that's the case on the G80 at least.
My daughter has the mkii version which she uses on an Em5 Mkii, once she got used to it some of her airshow photos were pretty good
l must try it on my Panasonic GX9, assuming it would be dual IS on that?

Can anyone comment on the Godox flashes for Olmypus?

I fancy a flash for the odd photo I take around home as the lighting in my apartment sucks. I checked out what Olympus has to offer, and nearly fell over when I saw the 600eur price tag! Overkill for me I think!

Been pointed in the direction of Godox. Specifically the "TT685O" which is for Olympus/Panasonic m43 cameras. Can anyone comment on their gear? At about 110eur its a much easier pill to swallow. Seems almost too good to be true!

My daughter has the mkii version which she uses on an Em5 Mkii, once she got used to it some of her airshow photos were pretty good
l must try it on my Panasonic GX9, assuming it would be dual IS on that?

You get dual IS with the GX9 for certain, it's one of the latest models. I'm not sure if it improves by much, but I'm sure it makes a bit of a difference

Can anyone comment on the Godox flashes for Olmypus?

I fancy a flash for the odd photo I take around home as the lighting in my apartment sucks. I checked out what Olympus has to offer, and nearly fell over when I saw the 600eur price tag! Overkill for me I think!

Been pointed in the direction of Godox. Specifically the "TT685O" which is for Olympus/Panasonic m43 cameras. Can anyone comment on their gear? At about 110eur its a much easier pill to swallow. Seems almost too good to be true!

Are you planning to use it on or off camera? The TT350o is a better balanced option for on camera, the TT685o is pretty big for that purpose. More powerful, but if you're only shooting in small rooms the 350o is fine. Both can be used off camera with the X1To but that is an additional £37 or thereabouts.

On camera for 90% of the use. its just for the occasional product shot for myself/forums when at home. I did look at the TT350o and it can be had for 80eur, so a nice 40eur cheaper over the TT650o, but I was concerned that just with 2 x AA batteries it would munch through those pretty quickly. Although a smaller flash for the reasons you mention is appealing.

Do they both use IR focusing?

On camera for 90% of the use. its just for the occasional product shot for myself/forums when at home. I did look at the TT350o and it can be had for 80eur, so a nice 40eur cheaper over the TT650o, but I was concerned that just with 2 x AA batteries it would munch through those pretty quickly. Although a smaller flash for the reasons you mention is appealing.

Do they both use IR focusing?

You do end up changing batts often aye, but if you think on it, a flash that takes 4 batteries is only going to last twice as long, or less if it's more powerful.

I have no idea on IR focussing, it's a feature I would never use, I don't even use the camera AF assist light, I find those really irritating. Can only see them being useful for older dslr tbh

You do end up changing batts often aye, but if you think on it, a flash that takes 4 batteries is only going to last twice as long, or less if it's more powerful.

I have no idea on IR focussing, it's a feature I would never use, I don't even use the camera AF assist light, I find those really irritating. Can only see them being useful for older dslr tbh
Alright cool stuff. I think if I get the smaller one and a decent pack of 4 x rechargable AA's I'll be good to go. I've got a decent battery charger already so I can just keep a spare set charged for the occasion. Was just curious about IR focusing, not a deal breaker. Completely forgot it was mainly built for DSLR use anyway!

Tempting to get the small one and the trigger as well to use it wirelessly, same expense as the 650o yet I can play around with wireless flash then!

Back