Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm not completely sold on dual IS. I recently got the 45-150 kit lens and updated it's FW so it can make use of Dual IS [albeit the older version, not dual IS 2] - and tbh, not noticed any significant improvement. I did shoot the moon shot I posted in the Pany thread hand-held, 1/6th at 150mm which is decent, but I think I could have done that just with the IBIS alone. If you're talking the 12-35 mkII that does get Dual IS2, the mk1 just gets the older version. I went for the Oly 12-40 over it, from my research it is apparently sharper and has better build quality. It can focus closer and has much better magnification, it also has proper mechanical manual focus with hard stops, which can be really nice for better precision when shooting detailed close ups. It would also be really nice for video if you ever shoot that, even the AF is a lot better than the Panasonic for video, no annoying pulsing everytime something moves - it almost acts like a par-focal lens.

Thanks for the detailed information, I was thinking of the mkII which gets good reviews.
My daughter has the Olympus 12-40mm so can give that a try and see how it performs.

Thanks for the detailed information, I was thinking of the mkII which gets good reviews.
My daughter has the Olympus 12-40mm so can give that a try and see how it performs.

The mkII is pricey though isn't it? If the Dual IS-2 is a lot better, it might be worth it if you can get a good deal. I find the 12-40 benefits enough from the IBIS in the G80, it might be a little front heavy for your liking on the GX80 though so definitely try it out first

Found this vid, the guy shows all 3 so might help you more with your decision:

Last edited:
The mkII is pricey though isn't it? If the Dual IS-2 is a lot better, it might be worth it if you can get a good deal. I find the 12-40 benefits enough from the IBIS in the G80, it might be a little front heavy for your liking on the GX80 though so definitely try it out first

Found this vid, the guy shows all 3 so might help you more with your decision:

Got a few primes that would cover it, did wonder if it would be a bit front heavy on the GX9.
Presumably the 12-40 is a similar size and weight, so that should give me an idea.
Will have a look at the video, cheers for that

I wish they would ship all their lenses with hoods.
I bought mine second hand and love it's sharpness. It doesn't have the manual focus clutch which is a shame. Also when focusing it seems to take many turns of the barrel - perhaps this makes it easier to get it sharp, but I wished it took less turns. My only other gripe is that mine is silver and not black, but it was a good price.

The 45 is generally regarded as super sharp and a bargain given it's performance. But I guess there may be the odd copy variation :)
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/olympus/45mm-f1.8-ed-m.zuiko-digital/review/

45 1.8 and 75 1.8 ordered!

Fingers crossed it's delivered by week end :D - I leave the country a week today so it's cutting it close!

*Excited Jake*

Went down to Durdle Door today and also Duncliffe, attempting some autumn style landscape for the first time as well.

JLE80040.jpg

JLE80044.jpg

JLE80095.jpg

JLE80108.jpg

JLE80122.jpg

JLE80077.jpg

JLE80057.jpg

3. is my absolute favourite. It was my "Thomas Heaton" moment :D

Number 1 is my favourite.

Number 3 has another light coloured leaf at the bottom distracting my eye.

Last edited:
3. is my absolute favourite. It was my "Thomas Heaton" moment :D

Nice set, I'm not big into this low contrast processing look that seems popular these days, but these are pleasant. What do you mean about #3? I've never watched TH, but surely he didn't invent plant close ups? :D

Nice set, I'm not big into this low contrast processing look that seems popular these days, but these are pleasant. What do you mean about #3? I've never watched TH, but surely he didn't invent plant close ups? :D
Thanks! He is quite known for being in some jaw dropping places and he will be focusing purely on something on the floor lol. Something which could be shot arguably from anywhere.

Thanks! He is quite known for being in some jaw dropping places and he will be focusing purely on something on the floor lol. Something which could be shot arguably from anywhere.

Ah ok, gothca, I do the same myself, well, maybe not the jaw dropping part :D but in nice scenic areas, and there's me on my knees trying to get a close up of a bug on a weed :D I know of him, just never really watched, so many of these vlogging togs out there these days.

Ah ok, gothca, I do the same myself, well, maybe not the jaw dropping part :D but in nice scenic areas, and there's me on my knees trying to get a close up of a bug on a weed :D I know of him, just never really watched, so many of these vlogging togs out there these days.
I've found watching him not only entertaining and enjoyable, but also very knowledgeable. Guy knows his stuff and is able to explain it in an excellent way. Has really helped with my composition and thoughts when producing these shots.

I've found watching him not only entertaining and enjoyable, but also very knowledgeable. Guy knows his stuff and is able to explain it in an excellent way. Has really helped with my composition and thoughts when producing these shots.

If it works for you, cool. I think I just got burn out from watching tutorials from photographers long before 'vloggers' were even a thing. I have learned a tonne from some of them, like Zack Arias. When I see a lot of the new guys though I think they come across more like the hip vloggy types than your basic photographer and it prevents me giving them a chance. I shall check him out ;)

Brendan Vanson is very much like you describe. I used to watch him but got quickly fed up for reasons like you describe.

Not had that with TH though. Still enjoying and learning from him :)

I know nothing of photographing the moon, but thought I'd have a bash from the back door step!
I'd like to try again to get more detail though, perhaps try one of the stacking programs.

EM10ii, 75-300 @280mm, 1/500, f6.7

moon by Chris Gash, on Flickr
Not too shabby! When did you take this?

Hello, this might be short lived, I might be barking up the wrong tree, but my FiL is after a new camera, and my initial thought was M4/3 as he always left his DSLR at home.
So I’m thinking simple 2 lens kit that is as quick in use as an entry level DSLR.
I’d considered the Canon M50 too, but I’d like to understand what’s out there.

Hello, this might be short lived, I might be barking up the wrong tree, but my FiL is after a new camera, and my initial thought was M4/3 as he always left his DSLR at home.
So I’m thinking simple 2 lens kit that is as quick in use as an entry level DSLR.

Hey Phil,

Various options around. I don't know too much about Canon M50's apart from they seem to be popular with vloggers as are Panasonic due to their excellent video capabilities.

From Olympus' standpoint. You have the EPL range which is their very entry level range, range finder style bodies. Then you move up to the E-M? Range. These begin at the mid-range level.

E-M10 MK3 - bottom of the bunch. Has a 16mp sensor, body is basic in terms of features like weather sealing but it's a budget friendly option

E-M5 MK2 - This is mid-high. I believe it's the same sensor as the M10 MK3 but the body has better weather sealing, IBIS, and other features. I use this camera, personally I find it fantastic.

E-M1 MK2 - The flagship, 20mp sensor, aimed at action/sports photographers due to its high powered processor inside which gives it lots of of cool abilities.

When people compare the M1 and M5 it often comes down to what is your intended target. IE, if you're only shooting landscapes then a M1 would be a lot of wasted horsepower.

You also have the PEN-F. Which I think is the same 20mp sensor as the M1 but in a really sexy range finder body. I believe this is priced between the M5 and M1 but I might be wrong here. I'm not sure what its weather sealing is like. But it's a very popular camera for its image capabilities and retro looks!

Hopefully some of that is correct. Its as I understand Olympus anyway. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong though!

HTH :)

If budget is a concern I don’t believe the em10iii offers enough over the mkii which is still available at silly low prices. In fact some options have been removed on the mkiii

I have a mkii and the only thing that makes me want to upgrade (to a em1mkii) is weather sealing, although I have used it in light showers with no problem.

For me the OM-D E-M10 markii is the sweet spot on price/performance/portability.
This kit covers all the bases - Note it has the cheaper Olympus 14-42mm kit lens. There is an EZ version with motorised zoom which is tiny.
I have both and favour the EZ for its size but I can't tell the difference in the results and the manual zoom is perhaps easier/quicker to use.
https://www.jessops.com/p/olympus/o...silver-with-14-42mm-and-40-150mm-lenses-99226

Obviously there is a lot to consider, size and intended use. None of the Olympus bodies are large but some find the smaller versions a bit fiddly.

The PEN range (bar the PEN-F) don't have viewfinders but share lots of features with the Olympus OM-D M43 cameras. They are all light and compact.
If you want a viewfinder then the E-M10 Mkii is the cheapest new entry point, cheaper than the Mkiii and the only significant difference I can recall is 4K video.
If you're looking for video then Panasonic are perhaps a better choice.

Places like Camera Jungle and MPB will save you a lot of money on bodies and lenses if you're not looking for the latest versions and are happy with used.

Assuming a viewfinder is wanted -

The Olympus EM-10ii and EM-10iii are small and cute - you can still get the EM-10ii. There are twin lens kits available. But you can also get the EM-10ii at a decent price as its an older model.

The sensors in these models are 16Mp and older. On the other hand you get a good in-body stabilisation system. The EM-10ii is for some people a better camera than the EM-10iii because Olympus changed the approach to try and make the iii a bit more entry level thuiogh they did improve the video

If your FiL has large hands then these cameras may feel too small.

Panasonic have similarv offerings with the GX80 and the G80. With the GX80 the 12-32 kit lens is tiny - and reasonably well regarded - they offer a 35-100 F4 kit lens that sort of matches it - tiny. You can put together a kit with the 12-32 and 35-100 and one of the smaller bodies that will fit in a small pouch. The G80 is bigger and generally comes with eth 12-60 kit - both are weather sealed. Again you get stabilisation th with these.

If your FiL has larger hands then the G80 style from Panasonic may be more comfortable. But the size goes up - combined with the likes of the 12-60 lens it's definitely encroaching into APS-C territory - such as the Sony 6300, Fuji XT family, and Canon M50.

Price/performance wise my feeling is that the EM-10ii is in a sweet spot as its an older model - but very capable - and the G80 when cashbacks are available because of the weather sealing.

The compromise with MFT is the sensor size - but that is traded against the system size and convenience of the smaller bodies and lenses in the system - and the in-body stabilisation performance.

I would suggest you look at Fuji as well as the M50. The XE and XT families are reasonably compact.

None of the Olympus bodies are large but some find the smaller versions a bit fiddly

I wouldn’t say fiddly, but I do find the 10ii a much nicer handling camera with the optional grip added. Especially if using any of the larger/heavier (by m43 standards) lenses.

I do tend to chop and change my gear quite frequently, I just really like exploring and playing with new toys. I always buy second hand so I don't lose much, if anything at all, when I sell or move on.
I have had a variety of the cameras from all major manufacturers but only just tried Olympus (took me a long time) with the E-M10 mk1 and 14-42mm, 45mm f1.8, 40-150mm and 12-32mm (Panasonic) lenses.
The whole package feels like it weighs less than my D750 body only which also in turn means it goes out with me far more often.
The images that it produces are far better than I ever expected from a tiny sensor and the kit is a joy to use and carry around. It's just so much fun I can't put it down.
I think this is one I'll hang on to for the forsee-able future.

Last edited:
personally if coming from a DSLR I would recommend looking at the panasonic g80 with kit lens 12-60mm , ticks all the boxes and if you can find a good cash back deal then it should work out after cash back around £500 bnib

Had a REALLY odd behaviour on my E-M5 Mark II tonight. Wondered if anyone had had the same?

So, have been out in the cold tonight taking some star shots near Alfred Tower. Was taking 30 second exposures and using a remote shutter release. So I adjusted composition, took the shot, I was standing behind the camera and watching the blank dark screen, and as most know you hear the click of the shutter, see the memory card symbol flashing red, then when its done writing the data, it then brings up all the info as per normal, ready to shoot the next one. However, the screen just stayed blank...no memory card icon, nothing. I waited a bit, nada. Switched it off, back on, screen goes off, come back on, still blank...

Pop the memory card out, for a brief half second, all the info appeared on the screen again and it said no card but then went back to blank, card back in it then showed "card full" for less than a second, camera goes blank once more. Now, its impossible for the card to be full, so its not that.

Took the battery out for a few seconds, put back in, same behaviour, called it a night. Drove back to my friends around 20min away with it switched off in my back pack. Got indoors, switch on, its like nothing had happened.

Now, I am happy to think this may have been just a random software glitch somewhere, but I am off to vienna next week...so its a bit concerning. Wondered if anyone else had experienced the same?

If needed, I CAN go replacement camera shopping, but I'd rather not.

Any thoughts?

(and shots were saved btw, got one I am really happy with, will share later, yay)

Last edited:
Had a REALLY odd behaviour on my E-M5 Mark II tonight. Wondered if anyone had had the same?

So, have been out in the cold tonight taking some star shots near Alfred Tower. Was taking 30 second exposures and using a remote shutter release. So I adjusted composition, took the shot, I was standing behind the camera and watching the blank dark screen, and as most know you hear the click of the shutter, see the memory card symbol flashing red, then when its done writing the data, it then brings up all the info as per normal, ready to shoot the next one. However, the screen just stayed blank...no memory card icon, nothing. I waited a bit, nada. Switched it off, back on, screen goes off, come back on, still blank...

Pop the memory card out, for a brief half second, all the info appeared on the screen again and it said no card but then went back to blank, card back in it then showed "card full" for less than a second, camera goes blank once more. Now, its impossible for the card to be full, so its not that.

Took the battery out for a few seconds, put back in, same behaviour, called it a night. Drove back to my friends around 20min away with it switched off in my back pack. Got indoors, switch on, its like nothing had happened.

Now, I am happy to think this may have been just a random software glitch somewhere, but I am off to vienna next week...so its a bit concerning. Wondered if anyone else had experienced the same?

Any thoughts?

(and shots were saved btw, got one I am really happy with, will share later, yay)

I suppose a few things spring to mind but not sure any of them will be that helpful. Is there any long exposure noise reduction turned on? Obviously wouldn't explain all of the behaviour unless you simply upset it by interrupting the process.

And secondly, if I ever have glitches with cameras I can almost guarantee that they happen on cold nights where moisture builds up everywhere. I know the E-M5 is sealed but I have had this on just about every camera I've ever owned in certain conditions. In humid conditions in India, my E-M5ii went berserk. Had to take the battery out and leave it for a while and it was absolutely fine afterwards. Hopefully just one of those things.

And lastly, do you know that memory card is okay? If the problem reappears it may be worth playing around with a second one just to eliminate the possibility.

Enjoy Vienna. One of my favourite cities on earth. Fantastic at this time of year too.

Any thoughts?

If it was cold it sounds like the shutter got stuck, which is prone to happen as the small amount of lubricant gets cold, it happened on my EM1 on a very cold day. Makes a bit of a mockery of the "cold proof" claims.

In this situation you can switch to electronic shutter and it should work.

Any thoughts?

2 good points have been made already, although I've never experienced a shutter lock due to the cold. Another thing that would spring to mind in the SD card is on its way out, did you try with another card at the time to see if that fixed it?

Thanks for all the responses! Well it wasn't overly cold, about 7c. And I've used this camera without issue in Norway at much much lower temperatures. However, it was very humid according to the weather report, around 90%

So a bit of moisture build up due to condensation does make sense.

Also, I didn't try another memory card as I don't have one. I'll keep an eye on it the next few days I guess. It has taken an absolute battering in the harsh British weather conditions these last few days with the weather sealing being THOROUGHLY tested out. I've been very impressed with how it's just soldered on throughout all of it.

Thanks for the responses everyone :)

Re the blank screen. Was anything near or covering the evf proximity sensor?
I’ve had puzzling behaviour when the camera didn’t like how I was holding it or the strap was a bit too near and it turned off the screen.

Thanks for all the responses! Well it wasn't overly cold, about 7c. And I've used this camera without issue in Norway at much much lower temperatures. However, it was very humid according to the weather report, around 90%

So a bit of moisture build up due to condensation does make sense.

Also, I didn't try another memory card as I don't have one. I'll keep an eye on it the next few days I guess. It has taken an absolute battering in the harsh British weather conditions these last few days with the weather sealing being THOROUGHLY tested out. I've been very impressed with how it's just soldered on throughout all of it.

Thanks for the responses everyone :)
7 degrees isn't cold, and I'd be surprised if humidity was that high at these temps. When I was in Dubai I took my EM1 from an ice cold air conditioned room straight outside into 43 degree heat and whilst everything completely misted up the camera still worked absolutely fine.

Re the blank screen. Was anything near or covering the evf proximity sensor?
I’ve had puzzling behaviour when the camera didn’t like how I was holding it or the strap was a bit too near and it turned off the screen.

Nope, strap is removed so nothing to cover that. The screen was on but not displaying any info. Unlike when the sensor is covered the screen switches off completely, it was very odd.

7 degrees isn't cold, and I'd be surprised if humidity was that high at these temps. When I was in Dubai I took my EM1 from an ice cold air conditioned room straight outside into 43 degree heat and whilst everything completely misted up the camera still worked absolutely fine.

Well it did go from a warm car to the cold so and then started being used for regular long exposures (most for 30s but one for 2mins) so I wonder if the warm, cold, then warm from use caused the condensation?

As said, I'll keep an eye on it. It's been seemingly bomb proof since I got it. So maybe just a software hiccup. I'll be using it in aggression tomorrow and all of next week so lets see how it goes. :)

BTW, said start shot last night, last one before it died.

JLE90167.jpg

Just bagged myself a mint e-m10 mkii twin lens kit for a knock down price with only 306 releases, result!
I’m wanting to add a decent prime portrait lens to this, thinking either the Oly 45mm f1.8 or maybe a cheaper option of the Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN lens, any thoughts on the Sigma as I know the Oly is well respected.

I have seen the Sigmas advertised online and often wondered why they aren't more popular? Sigma have the ability to make absolutely cracking lenses, and these DN lenses are especially cheap. So I often wondered if there was a catch I was missing?

I have seen the Sigmas advertised online and often wondered why they aren't more popular? Sigma have the ability to make absolutely cracking lenses, and these DN lenses are especially cheap. So I often wondered if there was a catch I was missing?
I think they come from their ‘Art’ range, generally they get good reviews. I might just take a calculated gamble on one as they’re cheap enough to move on if needs be. Only thing that’s stopping me is the Oly being f1.8 against the Sigma f2.8.
I’ve read a few online blogs where they rate the 60mm so maybe worth a punt.

Back