Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My EM5 ii has developed a fault where it won't turn off, just wondering if anyone else has come across this problem?

Nope never had any problems with mine. I think my EM1ii locked up once. Can’t quite remember what happened, but I was in a workshop and they just pulled the battery out and put it back in. Has never happened again.

I reckon it's a faulty switch not a sealing issue mine is getting stiff again.

Has anyone seen a better deal on the 25mm f/1.2 than the £669 HDEW have it for? Used would be fine.
Tobydeals.co.uk £617.99 but I don’t know much about them, I assume they’re grey importers.

Tobydeals.co.uk £617.99 but I don’t know much about them, I assume they’re grey importers.

Thanks, a quick google shows I'd be happy to pay the extra fro HDEW, who I've used a number of times and always been very happy with the service.

Even used on MPB they come in at £784, which makes it unlikely to find a used one in a uk shop, maybe if I want cheaper I have to wait for someone selling a grey import.

Always had great service from HDEW, they would get my vote.

Yep me too, just that £669 is just a bit too much for me to justify as GAS, not least because I already have the PL25 1.4 and I rarely use it. However, we have twins on the way and obviously I want to capture that in an artsy shallow DoF kind of way and the PL does have a tendency to give purple botches when shot wide open on my EM5ii, even under indoor lighting so my man-maths is just looking for a justification of a ‘bargain’ to make the drop.

It’s that or a Sony A7ii/i :D

Are you factoring in the PL 25 f/1.4? :)
That might help....

On a side note, I've been eyeing the 17 f/1.2 from HDEW for a while now.

Made my biggest investment in photography ever by buying a Pano 100-400 over Christmas, took it out yesterday. Going to take a while to get used to it, wonder how far people push the ISO when using an E-M1 MK1?
Anyway got this shot, even squirrels have attitude nowadays!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2b99GHW]Squirrel With Attitude by R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

Made my biggest investment in photography ever by buying a Pano 100-400 over Christmas, took it out yesterday. Going to take a while to get used to it, wonder how far people push the ISO when using an E-M1 MK1?
Squirrel With Attitude by R Hillman, on Flickr

For ISO, a lot depends on the subject, exposure and framing. For me, a well exposed image at 3200 is fine if the subject fills the frame because as soon as you start to crop the noise becomes much more apparent and if you underexpose and then boost in PP then the noise is much worse.

For example, this is a full frame, shot in poor light at ISO3200 and I am perfectly happy with the results, that said others have said this is too noisy for them so clearly personal preference comes into things.

Alaska-5312866 by Ned Awty, on Flickr

I would find the noise perfectly acceptable, thanks for showing me whats possible.

Riverside Fox, bit soft as I think I needed a tripod with the low light.

P1013396 by alligator1975, on Flickr

I think this month Olympus are meant to officially announce \ release the EM1X of some sort, and some new lenses. Wonder if this will see more EM1MKii on the used market, and a drop in price on them.

Last edited:
I think this month Olympus are meant to officially announce \ release the EM1X of some sort, and some new lenses. Wonder if this will see more EM1MKii on the used market, and a drop in price on them.

Hmmm! the price point of the impending EM1X I surmise will not influence EM1mk2 prices.

What I am hoping for is further firmware updates that continue to improve the EM1.2 and also the news and possible pricing of the much anticipated 150- 400mm ???

Hmmm! the price point of the impending EM1X I surmise will not influence EM1mk2 prices.

What I am hoping for is further firmware updates that continue to improve the EM1.2 and also the news and possible pricing of the much anticipated 150- 400mm ???
Yes it does look like it might not be at the budget end of the market, but still hoping people might upgrade to it from EM1s.

The lens should be interesting, as might be the price and size!

The first one for me, like the different perspective and the colours are very 60s and 70s . Which is a good thing to me.

No, he wasn't in the best mood...

That second one "Dad can you stop taking pictures of me with your new lens!" :)

Can't decide if I like the first one or not, I know it's what the Helios is meat to do but I think I find the bokeh a bit too distracting, but I suspect lots of people will like it - main thing of course is that you do! Really like the 2nd one.

For me, the first one isn't sharp enough but that's the joy ( cough ) of 40 year old MF lenses wide open. I could ( should ? ) have stepped it down, for more in focus and the sharpness improved massively.

Perhaps a different crop would be better

Yes it does look like it might not be at the budget end of the market, but still hoping people might upgrade to it from EM1s.

Not a chance, the (grey) EM1ii is already priced low enough that anyone upgrading will have already done so, certainly before jumping to a £3k m43 camera.

I’m a huge m43 advocate (and sold all my FF gear and not looked back) but if you’re the kind of person that spends £3k on a camera I doubt m43 is where you would currently be. Also, for me it is looking chunky enough that you may as well buy a proven DSLR, which you would probably do if you are the kind of person to spend £3k on a body.

On top of that, the 2nd hand market has been sluggish for a loooong time, people seem to be holding on to their kit longer now.

Not a chance, the (grey) EM1ii is already priced low enough that anyone upgrading will have already done so, certainly before jumping to a £3k m43 camera.

I’m a huge m43 advocate (and sold all my FF gear and not looked back) but if you’re the kind of person that spends £3k on a camera I doubt m43 is where you would currently be. Also, for me it is looking chunky enough that you may as well buy a proven DSLR, which you would probably do if you are the kind of person to spend £3k on a body.

On top of that, the 2nd hand market has been sluggish for a loooong time, people seem to be holding on to their kit longer now.

Seems a strange move to me, surely the primary appeal of the m43 system is the weight and size reduction.
Personally interested to see the Panasonic FF cameras and lenses, can't see the bodies being much bigger than the rumoured Olympus newcomer.
Obviously the lenses will be, but still want to have a look, reads like it might be a good mirrorless FF system

You are probably right, though I suspect if the camera has some amazing AF and \ or other features, some people may look at the weight of all the kit and decide it's worth it especially as most people seem happy with the lenses etc.

The projected size does seem surprising but there must be a reason for it - I guess we will find out soon.

Squirrel With Attitude by R Hillman, on Flickr
What a chunky squirrel! We get these delicate little reds in my garden
181217134752-BC172406-Edit.jpg

Hello@bebop, no cute little reds in Cornwall I am afraid just greys over fed by tourists! Really like your Red though.

Hello@bebop, no cute little reds in Cornwall I am afraid just greys over fed by tourists! Really like your Red though.
I feed the reds, but at the edge of the garden as my cat will chase them :( Thankfully she's never been successful! I can spend a fortune on nuts and I expect one day my garden will be a hazelnut forest. This one has just raided the grotty nuts I'd thrown down for the badgers.

Fascinating to see the different ear tufts too.

When I compare the cost and weight of my 1dxmkII and 600 F4 mkII with the omd MKII and 300f4 pro the later is not a lot of money for what you get so even £3k is quite reasonable if it's better than the omd mkII

Rob.

When I compare the cost and weight of my 1dxmkII and 600 F4 mkII with the omd MKII and 300f4 pro the later is not a lot of money for what you get so even £3k is quite reasonable if it's better than the omd mkII

Rob.

Yes, but would you swap? would the IQ and AF be up to the standards you want.

The answer for me is yes, I had a fantastic time in Alaska with m43, with fisheye to 800mm FFE in a small backpack. But I get the feeling most people think the small sensor just isn't good enough...

Yes, but would you swap? would the IQ and AF be up to the standards you want.

The answer for me is yes, I had a fantastic time in Alaska with m43, with fisheye to 800mm FFE in a small backpack. But I get the feeling most people think the small sensor just isn't good enough...

Well I don't have to swop as I have them, that said I use the OMD system more than the Canon and I mostly shoot wild life bird's but the main thing for me is the silent shutter I do use the Canon once I need above iso 800 though.

So im hoping the new OMD has a stop better ISO over the older one . and yes the iq is very good AF can be a bit hit and miss but so can the 1dxmkII too

Rob.

Last edited:
All you new 100-400 users are gonna be gobsmacked once you get used to this lens , give yourself time to ease into b.i.f with it . It’s a dream of a lens . It really does need good light to achieve it’s best though

Well, at least the rumour & leaks were true :)

Looking at the video is that the 300mm f4 or the anticipated 150-400mm (which the rumours say is to be 'out' in Q4 2019) ?

The lens hood is different from the 300 f/4; also it appears to have a zoom ring and a focus ring so I'd guess it's the rumoured 150-400 zoom lens.

A bit of a teaser for the new Olympus OM-D E-M and you can register for updates
Launching on the 24th.

It looks big for M4/3 but not as crazy as I'd first thought.
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/camera_promotions/touch_and_try/index.html

The size won't matter to the type of shooter interested IMO - sports and wildlife shooters who will be using the larger lenses anyway, they may actually appreciate the better balance. The hand-held hi res mode is the most intriguing aspect, also that 7.5 stops of IBIS. $3K is out of my reach though

The size won't matter to the type of shooter interested IMO - sports and wildlife shooters who will be using the larger lenses anyway, they may actually appreciate the better balance. The hand-held hi res mode is the most intriguing aspect, also that 7.5 stops of IBIS. $3K is out of my reach though

It will be interesting to see the actual UK launch price?

And if @maarten.dhaese is right that it is indeed the new bigger zoom......what price will that land at???

Lastly, depending on how much 'sharing' in tech & firmware there is with the EM1.2 will there be an updated firmware to further improve that bodys performance?

Wonder if that's a detachable battery grip or have they gone for a D5/1Dx style body?

Back