Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Wonder if that's a detachable battery grip or have they gone for a D5/1Dx style body?

According to the rumours website and the sneaked/leaked pictures the battery 'grip' is fixed in the design like the 1DX series Canon.

According to the rumours website and the sneaked/leaked pictures the battery 'grip' is fixed in the design like the 1DX series Canon.
Not good for me then, I find that using the battery grip on the EM1 crunches my fingers up too much :(

Wonder if that's a detachable battery grip or have they gone for a D5/1Dx style body?

Rumours are that the grip is embedded in the body, i.e. non-removable. Personally I would have preferred a separate grip.

Edit - @Box Brownie beat me to it!

Last edited:
£3k is too much for me - Olympus unfortunately proved with the e-m1.2 that their £2k body wasn’t as good as it should have been at launch so I’d be nervous of this...

Not good for me then, I find that using the battery grip on the EM1 crunches my fingers up too much :(

Rumours are that the grip is embedded in the body, i.e. non-removable. Personally I would have preferred a separate grip.

FWIW I got the EM1.2 grip bundled when I bought my dual zoom kit.....................I have yet to use the grip!

Looking at the relative size of the new EM X some folk commented how large it was "like the FF dSLR bodies...." but then someone pointed out 'look at the size in relation to the persons hand in the picture. In other words I doubt that it a huge camera in M43 terms and until the reviewers official or the potential end users get "hands on" I have an open mind on the matter.

But having said that I fully expect it to be a costly body and that is why I am awaiting the lens price, which likewise I have no doubt will not be cheap but hoping not as much as some of the speculation?

It’s integrated Snerkler

I hope this doesn’t come back to bite them, the whole point of m4/3 is small size imo.

Let's see. First reactions from many will be it's too big, but some people seem excited by it - I guess we will have to see what it actually offers, and the actual price. If reviews are positive, some will move over to it, and some will upgrade if the overall weight of the camera bag is significantly less, and the AF and other areas are improved.

I hope this doesn’t come back to bite them, the whole point of m4/3 is small size imo.

For most, but not all. For pro M43 shooters it's about the overall package, even if this camera is as big as a FF dslr, your bag of lenses will still save significant weight over say a pro wildlife or sports FF package.

Also, it seems to have been forgotten about that they [Oly] stated a while back, when this was first leaked, there was 2 more smaller bodies on the way.

Couple from today - some sun at last! Good news is I've found somewhere where I can reasonably reliably see Kingfishers, it's in London so they are less scared bu human presence, though you also have people walking past with very noisy children's toys which is not ideal... I'll need to practice my handholding technique as it's far from hood enough and \ or take a tripod with me next time.

OI000636 by alligator1975, on Flickr

OI000642 by alligator1975, on Flickr

I had planned a sunrise in the peak district, but it was an absolute bust and I didn't even get the camera out at the first location. So I headed for a wooded 'clough' instead. Ignoring the main feature waterfall, I investigated one of the side streams and after fighting my way through the undergrowth i settled on this spot....

EM10mkii + 12-40

Cascades by Chris Gash, on Flickr

I had planned a sunrise in the peak district, but it was an absolute bust and I didn't even get the camera out at the first location. So I headed for a wooded 'clough' instead. Ignoring the main feature waterfall, I investigated one of the side streams and after fighting my way through the undergrowth i settled on this spot....

EM10mkii + 12-40

Cascades by Chris Gash, on Flickr
I like it, sometime the ones off the beaten track are best.

Is that a strategically placed leaf at the front?

Battery issue that I hope you guys may be able to advise on.

I fully charged the battery in my Pen-F but when I put it in my camera it shows nearly empty. Could this be a knackered battery or a software issue? Thoughts please.

Battery issue that I hope you guys may be able to advise on.

I fully charged the battery in my Pen-F but when I put it in my camera it shows nearly empty. Could this be a knackered battery or a software issue? Thoughts please.
Most likely a knackered battery, have you got another to try? If not I’d suggest buying an Expro one, works just as well as the original from my experience. Much cheaper, will tell you if it’s battery or camera and always good to have a spare anyway (y)

@`Snerkler.... have 3 for my Fuji so guess will order 3 for my Olympus Cameras.

I’ve had the Pen-F just over 18 months so seems about right If it’s duff.

Last edited:
Nice, where in the peaks is this?

At the northern end, just off woodhead pass in the Longdendale valley. This is the main falls but there are many many smaller cascades too. Its a great spot but there is no clear path to the falls and you have to do a bit of scrambling over boulders and cross the stream a couple of times.

A slightly wider shot, without the instagram pose!!!
Peak District Waterfall. by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Last edited:
At the northern end, just off woodhead pass in the Longdendale valley. This is the main falls but there are many many smaller cascades too. Its a great spot but there is no clear path to the falls and you have to do a bit of scrambling over boulders and cross the stream a couple of times.

A slightly wider shot, without the instagram pose!!!
Peak District Waterfall. by Chris Gash, on Flickr
Thanks, a part of the peaks I've never been but must make the trip (y)

Has anyone got / used the p25 1.7 ? Any good one wide open ? They seem quite reasonably priced so I'm thinking of one.

Last edited:
I have a Panasonic 25mm f/1.7, use it on my EM1.2, and find it perfectly sharp wide open, and gives a nice shallow depth of field as well. Haven't used it too much yet, I will when the racing season starts, it'll be my "taking pics of cars in the pits" lens for when I want more background blur than the Oly 12-40mm f/2.8 can give me.

yes, thats the same subject matter as me. I had a 35 f1.8 for my d500 but i find my son borrows it alot

Has anyone got / used the p25 1.7 ? Any good one wide open ? They seem quite reasonably priced so I'm thinking of one.

Best bang for buck lens for M43 overall IMO. It's fast, silent and I found it to be sharp wide open, think I used it mostly at 1.7.

Got the 25 1.7 on my EM-1 MK1 as everyone else says it is a very good lens, sharp enough wide open and a nice bokeh.

So, I sold my Helios today. A short lived love affair, brilliant when I had the time but I found the FL too long for my "normal" stuff..MF isn't always easy either.

I have a dilemma. My m43 gear is a em10 mk2, p12-32 and p20. I'm thinking of selling the p20...this could lead to a p25 f1.7 ( I don't need to sell the 20 for this but they're so close in FL that one would go ) or p25 f1.4 or sigma 30 f1.4. I've had the sigma before and seem to recall its sharp but pretty big compared to the p25 f1.4...

Wild card = sell all m43, buy d600 + 50 f1.4 and use rx100 mk2 that's sat in a drawer for my travel camera

So, I sold my Helios today. A short lived love affair, brilliant when I had the time but I found the FL too long for my "normal" stuff..MF isn't always easy either.

I have a dilemma. My m43 gear is a em10 mk2, p12-32 and p20. I'm thinking of selling the p20...this could lead to a p25 f1.7 ( I don't need to sell the 20 for this but they're so close in FL that one would go ) or p25 f1.4 or sigma 30 f1.4. I've had the sigma before and seem to recall its sharp but pretty big compared to the p25 f1.4...

Wild card = sell all m43, buy d600 + 50 f1.4 and use rx100 mk2 that's sat in a drawer for my travel camera

You could let me sell you my PL25 1.4 so I can buy the f/1.2 I've been hankering after :D

What’s the reason for considering FF?

Back