Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I think a 'favourites' menu would be nice on the Em5iii so that you can add the things you change often to it instead of trying to remember which menu they're in.

Also improved C-Af would be welcome. Spot metering related to focus point would be good. Exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode and ideally a dial for it like on the Pen F.
A favourites menu would be a great idea, I love this on my Nikon.

It is mentioned in Robin Wong's review too.

I'm always interested in these things as I am always on the lookout for a way to ditch Adobe, not holding my breath though...
Re Olympus Workspace. I dont think you will be ditching PS, its pants.

Just tried the wireless capture setup on the EM1X, and boy, does it work well. Run Olympus Capture, connect the camera to the PC via a USB cable for a one time operation (so that the Camera knows the PC it's connecting to), then connect the camera to your WiFi network, disconnect the camera from the PC, and the Olympus capture software picks up the camera on your WiFi network after about 2-3 seconds or so.

Then I walked about shooting (with a range I guess up to about 10-15 metres from the PC), and the images came straight up. For a 9mb JPG file to transfer, it takes about 3-4 seconds from hitting to shutter button to appear on the PC screen, and for a RAW file (about 18-19mb), it takes about 10 seconds. I would imaging for someone working in a studio environment or someone who does product or still life shooting, this would be a godsend - no cables and really very fast.

Last edited:
I got the EM1X yesterday and had a couple of hours in the garden my observations compared with the em mkII for BIF not technical just how it feels I only ever use M I set it up as I have the mkII setup

The camera is more responsive feels quicker in every way start up is faster almost instant.

The view finder is better it just looks bigger no lag

C-AF has been improved i did have a better hit rate over all, I did try C-AF + TRA it might be a bit better but that way of doing things is not for me I like 5 or 9 points with C-AF

I did try aircraft mode on bif and it did quite well but you sort of seem to be watching the AF squares looking for the subject rather than taking the shot and this make it feel like you waiting and you can't do the for BIF If they make a BIF mode it could work well .

I thought that I had set it for centre point priory but using 25 points on a pidion sat on an Ariel it grabbed the Ariel rather than the bird even though centre point was on the bird ( i may have not set it right ) so need to check that .

The shutter button has more feel to it I never took 1 shot by mistake ( thank you Olympus )

IQ looks almost the same to me set on Neutral but the colour is just a bit better this could be just a slight White balance tweak .

Conclusion - After 2 hours of use it really is better in every way for my needs, if you don't shoot BIF or fast sports then the OMD mkII is well up to the job so it's not a must upgrade for every one and I will keep my mkII for general family day type shots.

Im very happy with the EM-1X .

Rob.

My Em1ii has come up with a card error this morning in slot 2 on all cards tried and slot number 1 won't accept a card :confused: I remember someone else on here had a problem with the card slot.

Bizarrely, once I'd taken a photo with a card in slot 2, there was no card error... On any of the three different cards I'd tried - two of which had just been taken out of the camera to download the images.

It's due to go off for a free service with the pro service, so hopefully they can get it sorted. It's still under warranty.

Update... Usual excellent Olympus service - they're coming to pick it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how you get on. I'm quite tempted to pick up another 75mm 1.8 but the sigma looks good. I have absolutely no use for either of them but you know how it is!
I’ve mainly bought it to takes pics of cars during my upcoming trip to Havana :woot::exit:

I don’t know if the focal length is going to be too long and hence why I chose this over the 75mm. Knowing me though I’ll end up finding it’s too short and wishing I’d bought the 75mm :rolleyes: :LOL:

I’ve mainly bought it to takes pics of cars during my upcoming trip to Havana :woot::exit:

I don’t know if the focal length is going to be too long and hence why I chose this over the 75mm. Knowing me though I’ll end up finding it’s too short and wishing I’d bought the 75mm :rolleyes: :LOL:

Email Olympus with suggestion for a 50-80 1.8, that would be quite nice ... bigger than you're head but nice :D

I think that sort of lens will be fantastic for a location like that. I look forward to seeing the results. :)

I think that sort of lens will be fantastic for a location like that. I look forward to seeing the results. :)
I wouldn't get your hopes up ;) I'll mainly be using the 12-40mm I'd imagine, but the 56mm looks small enough to put in cargo short pockets so should be easy to carry around. I'm always 'advised' that our holidays are NOT photography holidays though :LOL:

I wouldn't get your hopes up ;) I'll mainly be using the 12-40mm I'd imagine, but the 56mm looks small enough to put in cargo short pockets so should be easy to carry around. I'm always 'advised' that our holidays are NOT photography holidays though :LOL:

'Advised'. That sounds optional to me :)

I am lucky! My wife likes us to go on photographic holidays - woo hoo!
Very lucky. My holiday photos are normally just your typical holiday snaps. No recceing the area, no waiting for the nice light etc etc :(

Anyone know if the Nissan i40 flash is compatible with the EM1-II? On the specs it says compatible with the EM10-III, EM5-II and EM1 but I know the EM1-II has a different hot shoe (well the EM1 has an extra socket for the combined flash).

That looks like good fun, excellent photo, being in some sort of pipe/tunnel accentuates the effect very nicely

So the 56mm's arrived, not had chance to try it out yet but my initial thoughts are that it's a bit bigger than I was hoping. It's difficult to tell from online pictures, and obviously I knew it was bigger than the 45mm f1.8 looking at pics, but I'm not sure it's pocket friendly and as such not sure it's the right lens for my trip to Cuba. I'll have to try it out in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

On a positive note it feels a nice well made sturdy lens, and the focus ring is nice a smooth. Not sure why it's so big though ;)

Last edited:
It has a zoom ring?! ;)

So the 56mm's arrived, not had chance to try it out yet but my initial thoughts are that it's a bit bigger than I was hoping. It's difficult to tell from online pictures, and obviously I knew it was bigger than the 45mm f1.8 looking at pics, but I'm not sure it's pocket friendly and as such not sure it's the right lens for my trip to Cuba. I'll have to try it out in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

On a positive note it feels a nice well made sturdy lens, and the zoom ring is nice a smooth. Not sure why it's so big though ;)

It is smaller than the 75 though is it not? you were also considering that

On a positive note it feels a nice well made sturdy lens, and the zoom ring is nice a smooth. Not sure why it's so big though ;)

Size is probably due to the fact it's made for APS-C as well and as a result it's oversized for m4/3?

Sony E-mount version: https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3756/sigma_56mm_f/1.4_dc_dn_contemporary_lens_for_sony_e

Thanks, looks like it works except if you use S-OVF, is that how you read it?

Just tested this on my E-M5ii and thats how it pans out I never new that and I have used it loads but I do not use S-OVF but it is probably important to know as it just does not fire.

Last edited:
It has a zoom ring?! ;)
D'oh :facepalm: Corrected it now ;)

It is smaller than the 75 though is it not? you were also considering that
It is, and I would have no doubt regretted getting the 75mm for that reason ;)
Size is probably due to the fact it's made for APS-C as well and as a result it's oversized for m4/3?

Sony E-mount version: https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3756/sigma_56mm_f/1.4_dc_dn_contemporary_lens_for_sony_e
It is yeah, it's shame that they don't make a 42.5mm f1.4 for MFT. Just for the record though it's. to a big lens, it's just bigger than I expected and not a lens that won't go unnoticed in your pocket.
Just tested this on my E-M5ii and thats how it pans out I never new that and I have used it loads but I do not use S-OVF but it is probably important to know as it just does not fire.
Thanks for the info. I never use s-ovf either, I really don't see the point of it at all. You're not getting the benefit of EVF and it doesn't look like an OVF.

D'oh :facepalm: Corrected it now ;)

It is, and I would have no doubt regretted getting the 75mm for that reason ;)
It is yeah, it's shame that they don't make a 42.5mm f1.4 for MFT. Just for the record though it's. to a big lens, it's just bigger than I expected and not a lens that won't go unnoticed in your pocket.
Thanks for the info. I never use s-ovf either, I really don't see the point of it at all. You're not getting the benefit of EVF and it doesn't look like an OVF.

Bum-bag - sorted :D

If you are ok with a BroSac who am I to argue :)

FWIW (not a lot, obviously) there is an awful lot more to photograph than cars. Also, given they are mostly big buggers, I preferred a wide angle, mostly my 17mm ( I put a couple in the American cars thread). That and my 12-40 along with my wife's Oly SH-1 (25-600 zoom) were pretty much all I used.

That an excuse to post a a couple of pics of tobacco drying, showing alternative character of the 12-40? these are straight out the camera, must get around to editing them some day.

HAM10179.ORF

HAM10175.ORF

FWIW (not a lot, obviously) there is an awful lot more to photograph than cars. Also, given they are mostly big buggers, I preferred a wide angle, mostly my 17mm ( I put a couple in the American cars thread). That and my 12-40 along with my wife's Oly SH-1 (25-600 zoom) were pretty much all I used.

That an excuse to post a a couple of pics of tobacco drying, showing alternative character of the 12-40? these are straight out the camera, must get around to editing them some day.

HAM10179.ORF

HAM10175.ORF
My 12-40mm will be my main lens, but I'd love it if I could take shots like the Red VW on page 1 in the link below, and Silver Porsche on Page 2, the DOF and rendering is exactly how I like my images. The idea was that I could have a lightweight prime so I can take the odd (and I mean odd) shot like this. Bit overkill taking a lens for this I know, but it's once in a lifetime and all that.

Initial findings with the lens are that it's sharp, very sharp, and rendering is very nice. I'll test it better tomorrow when it's daylight. The lens is definitely a keeper, I just need to decide whether it's going to be a travel lens and if so if I'm going to take a shoulder bag, or whether it will be a sling strap and second lens in the pocket as I'd planned. I know the 12-40mm is bigger and heavier, but it won't be in the pocket for long ;)

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/sigma-56mm-f-1-4-dc-dn.101714/

I see what you mean, although it would be interesting to see what difference it would be shot at 40 rather than 56, I suspect apart from having to stand in a difference place, not much. Although to be honest, I'm only getting used to the 12-40, I was far more used to the E 4/3 12-60, which was perfection in a walkabout lens. I'm sort of tempted by the Panasonic 12-60, but given that I have the 12-40 it isn't that high on the list, with the 12-100 probably standing in front.

I see what you mean, although it would be interesting to see what difference it would be shot at 40 rather than 56, I suspect apart from having to stand in a difference place, not much. Although to be honest, I'm only getting used to the 12-40, I was far more used to the E 4/3 12-60, which was perfection in a walkabout lens. I'm sort of tempted by the Panasonic 12-60, but given that I have the 12-40 it isn't that high on the list, with the 12-100 probably standing in front.
There's quite a lot of difference between a shot at 40mm f2.8 than one at 56mm f1.4 tbh.

Back