Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Great stuff as usual Maarten.

Looked at the CAF sensitivity yesterday on my camera, it was set at 1+. Changed it now to 2+ so next time out. I will see if it makes a difference.

Thanks Steve.

Re: CAF settings also make sure you turn face detection off and I would recommend you use the 5-point or 9-point focus patch, together with Continuous Low frame rate.

..... if I buy from Hdew it is still under guarantee etc right? I probably wouldn't bother with grey for a camera body as living abroad it would be expensive to send back but I may consider it for a lens.
I’ve purchased cameras and lenses from Hdew. The warranty you get is not with the original manufacturer, or at least it wasn’t in my cases.

I had an issue with a camera body and there was no problem getting it sorted, but it didn’t go back to Canon. I’d be happy to buy from them again.

I’ve purchased cameras and lenses from Hdew. The warranty you get is not with the original manufacturer, or at least it wasn’t in my cases.

I had an issue with a camera body and there was no problem getting it sorted, but it didn’t go back to Canon. I’d be happy to buy from them again.
Correct, buying grey doesn’t get you any manufacturer warranty, it’s a separate warranty provided by the seller.

Bit of an off the wall question, but does anyone know if it's possible (and if so where from) to purchase the protective clear plastic battery cases that the Olympus BLH-1 battery pack comes in (when you buy it as a spare) for the EM1 MK II and EM1X. I have about 4 spare batteries and 2 of them are missing their cases and I don't like the idea of them rattling around my camera bag with the contacts exposed. Thanks.

Bit of an off the wall question, but does anyone know if it's possible (and if so where from) to purchase the protective clear plastic battery cases that the Olympus BLH-1 battery pack comes in (when you buy it as a spare) for the EM1 MK II and EM1X. I have about 4 spare batteries and 2 of them are missing their cases and I don't like the idea of them rattling around my camera bag with the contacts exposed. Thanks.

Got a mate into cycling? get them to lob you over an old inner tube, dependent on make one from a 28 tyre is a good fit (you may have to experiment, sorry I can't be specific as there are many different sizes), cut a few inches off and the battery slides in nicely.

(OH, and you do know about EXPro batteries, don't you? - cheap and good equivalents)

Last edited:
No idea where you might get them the proper holders but I keep batteries in the coin bags you can get from banks. Stops any chance of the exposed contacts getting shorted.

Do you know the dimensions of the battery? Would it fit in something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-BC-1-B...tery+case&qid=1552296285&s=electronics&sr=1-5

No idea where you might get them the proper holders but I keep batteries in the coin bags you can get from banks. Stops any chance of the exposed contacts getting shorted.
Have you taken batteries on planes in bags like this, I know they can sometimes be funny about 'exposed' battery terminals although (touch wood) I've never been stopped?

How about something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Bat...552298027&sr=1-7&keywords=camera+battery+case

Specifically designed for this purpose, cheap and cheerful too.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your feedback re Hdew - reassuring and fine for a lens.

Am I right in saying you are in Switzerland, Charlotte?

if so, how about this from Ebay UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SALE-Pan...544682&hash=item2ab105aeaa:g:s0gAAOSw0BdbZDRQ
Keep seeing lenses and cameras that are using Switzerland as the location, presumably no taxes for you
No idea what they are like for warranty etc, but feedback looks ok

I think they are just another grey import as the seller is in China, but thanks for sharing the link, I will take a closer look.

There's a reason that the Panny 100-400m is much more expensive, it is (imo) a much better lens all round. I've owned the 75-300mm and 100-300mm (both first gens) and now have the 100-400mm which I bought from HDEW for just over £900. The 100-400mm has more reach, is better optically and has better AF. The 75-300mm and 100-300mm both infuriated me at the long end as they do hunt a lot.

That being said there are two downsides to the 100-400mm. Firstly it's the cost, it's by no means a cheap lens even if buying grey. Secondly, whilst it's very light for a lens with 800mm effective reach, it is noticeably heavier than the 100-300mm and 75-300mm. My 100-400mm replaced my FF Tamron 150-600mm and so find the weight a godsend, however if you've never used big lenses before you might find it quite heavy. Also I use mine on the EM1-II, with the EM5-II you might not find it so well suited. A grip would help with this though.

This is very interesting....so do I wait and pay double and get the really good Panny 100-400mm ? mmm decisions. Did you get decent money back on you Panasonic 100-300mm when you re-sold? I can I guess afford the Panny 100-400 albeit a bit begrudgingly at the price but as the other lens is already £450 ish I don't know whether it would be worth investing properly as I did at the beginning, I haven't for one minute regretted my 12-40 Pro lens, but i am still quite a beginner....

Thanks all for you feedback.

I only carry a spare (different battery) once in a while so use a ziplock snack bag.
This problem comes up over at the Olympus E-Group now and then and one of their users makes /made 3D printed cases for a fair price
http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42759&highlight=battery+case

Have you taken batteries on planes in bags like this, I know they can sometimes be funny about 'exposed' battery terminals although (touch wood) I've never been stopped?
Only once on a trip to Ireland, but I never got checked by security, it is really for my own peace of mind. In my other hobby I use Lipos with 50v 6 cells they go in a proper Lipo bag!

Last edited:
There's quite a lot of difference between a shot at 40mm f2.8 than one at 56mm f1.4 tbh.
Hi Snerker - I'm curious, what shutter speeds are you going to need to shoot 56mm F1.4 in Cuba? Are you also planning on carrying filters?
I'd imagine it's going to be super bright given it's in the Caribbean?

I don't know if you've come across Beagletorque over at e-group but he/she has a lot of Cuba pictures
http://www.thehopefultraveller.co.uk/cubaPB3.htm

I just covered the battery terminal with electrician's tape for the one battery that wasn't in the camera body, as recommended by people on here, and there was no issue. I've travelled several times with my camera and security have never queried anything.

This is very interesting....so do I wait and pay double and get the really good Panny 100-400mm ? mmm decisions. Did you get decent money back on you Panasonic 100-300mm when you re-sold? I can I guess afford the Panny 100-400 albeit a bit begrudgingly at the price but as the other lens is already £450 ish I don't know whether it would be worth investing properly as I did at the beginning, I haven't for one minute regretted my 12-40 Pro lens, but i am still quite a beginner....

Thanks all for you feedback.

I guess this will all be down to the individual and their expectations TBH. The 100-300mm is still a very good lens, and the mark II is supposed to be even better and could well suit you down to the ground. I found the 100-300mm sharper than the Olly 75-300mm, plus it's slightly faster at the tele end (f5.6 vs f6.7). I can't remember what I got on resale for the Panny tbh, but I bought used and can't see me having lost a lot otherwise I'd have remembered ;)
Hi Snerker - I'm curious, what shutter speeds are you going to need to shoot 56mm F1.4 in Cuba? Are you also planning on carrying filters?
I'd imagine it's going to be super bright given it's in the Caribbean?

I don't know if you've come across Beagletorque over at e-group but he/she has a lot of Cuba pictures
http://www.thehopefultraveller.co.uk/cubaPB3.htm
I was hoping that ISO low (64 I believe) and 1/32000 shutter would cover me re the Sigma f1.4 tbh. I'll have a look at that album later, thanks (y)

I guess this will all be down to the individual and their expectations TBH. The 100-300mm is still a very good lens, and the mark II is supposed to be even better and could well suit you down to the ground. I found the 100-300mm sharper than the Olly 75-300mm, plus it's slightly faster at the tele end (f5.6 vs f6.7). I can't remember what I got on resale for the Panny tbh, but I bought used and can't see me having lost a lot otherwise I'd have remembered ;)

Ok thank you then I may just stick with the 100-300mm to start with as I am still trying to work out how to use everything :ROFLMAO: and there is a pretty much brand new one on ebay for £180.00.... ( at the moment)!

I was hoping that ISO low (64 I believe) and 1/32000 shutter would cover me re the Sigma f1.4 tbh. I'll have a look at that album later, thanks (y)

I'd take a 3 or 4 stop screw in, if you want to shoot at F1.4, I've maxxed a Fuji 16mm at F1.4 at 1/32000 in Liverpool in February!! and the 56mm F1.2 in Austria in the height of summer. It will frustrate you if you get there and cant use it wide open, especially if a simple filter would have saved the day

I'd take a 3 or 4 stop screw in, if you want to shoot at F1.4, I've maxxed a Fuji 16mm at F1.4 at 1/32000 in Liverpool in February!! and the 56mm F1.2 in Austria in the height of summer. It will frustrate you if you get there and cant use it wide open, especially if a simple filter would have saved the day
Interesting, what ISO was this? Fuji is 200 at base isn't it?

Yes ISO200, but to get 1/32000 in February on a sunny winters day suggests you may struggle without a filter
I've just been looking at various images from Havana looking particularly at ones shot in the sunshine and the fastest shutter speed I'd get at ISO 100 f1.4 is 1/16000, so at ISO low I should be OK, and should even be OK at ISO 200. That being said, I will order a 2 stopper just in case (y).

@snerkler...... I got some Fuji batteries with the x-t3 and they came with battery covers, I’ll post a quick pick later, if you batteries fit you can ‘av em.

I've just been looking at various images from Havana looking particularly at ones shot in the sunshine and the fastest shutter speed I'd get at ISO 100 f1.4 is 1/16000, so at ISO low I should be OK, and should even be OK at ISO 200. That being said, I will order a 2 stopper just in case (y).

Is ISO Low (64?) not just 200 pulled back anyway? So if you'd blow your highlights at 200, they'd still be blown at ISO low? Although I guess the benefit is that you would at least know that is happening rather than having to guess.

@snerkler...... I got some Fuji batteries with the x-t3 and they came with battery covers, I’ll post a quick pick later, if you batteries fit you can ‘av em.
Thnaks very much, I'll look into the sizes (y)
Is ISO Low (64?) not just 200 pulled back anyway? So if you'd blow your highlights at 200, they'd still be blown at ISO low? Although I guess the benefit is that you would at least know that is happening rather than having to guess.
There's some jiggery pokery magic going off but looking into it it's software based and it preserves shadows at the sake of the highlights, therefore if you're blowing the highlights at ISO 200 you're definitely blowing the highlights at ISO low. It's obviously important to keep an eye exposure, as you would with any shot (y)

Thnaks very much, I'll look into the sizes (y)
There's some jiggery pokery magic going off but looking into it it's software based and it preserves shadows at the sake of the highlights, therefore if you're blowing the highlights at ISO 200 you're definitely blowing the highlights at ISO low. It's obviously important to keep an eye exposure, as you would with any shot (y)

Yep. Not sure it’s very magic though as it seems it’s basically just like exposing to the right and then pulling back. Good shadow detail but risky on the highlights but I can see the benefit in terms of knowing whether or not youve captured everything at the time. I never think about these problems in the UK!

I frequently fly with my Pen F battery in a plastic sandwich bag as others do. It never occurred to me that it might be a problem, although it probably should have.

Just revisited Olympus O.I. Share app in the hope to transfer images to my iPad wirelessly and it still doesn't support RAW :rolleyes:

So I was just trying photo backup options for my upcoming holiday and was hoping to save them to the iPad Pro, however I'm having issues. It's fine if you shoot jpeg, and it's fine if you shoot RAW, but if you shoot RAW and jpeg the photos app on the iPad only recognises the jpeg file so when you come to export it from the iPad to the computer you can only export the jpeg.

Is there a way to set Olympus cameras so that it saves the jpeg and RAW files with two different file names rather than the same name just with different extensions?

Printing large with MFT kit

I found mention of this guys video over at DPR and FWIW I have yet to watch it but thought from the comments on the DPR thread that it might interest others here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1oJdGxUkY
:)
I’ve not watched the video but it astounds me that folk don’t think that you can print big with m4/3, they’re probably the same people that rave about how good their picture is on their 75” 4K TV ;) Now if you can have 4K, which equates to roughly 8.3mp, on a 75” TV you should have no problem with a 16mp MFT photo printed to the same size (y)

(I know that’s not an exact science and megapixel count isn’t the be all and end all of IQ, but you get my drift ;))

I’ve not watched the video but it astounds me that folk don’t think that you can print big with m4/3, they’re probably the same people that rave about how good their picture is on their 75” 4K TV ;) Now if you can have 4K, which equates to roughly 8.3mp, on a 75” TV you should have no problem with a 16mp MFT photo printed to the same size (y)

(I know that’s not an exact science and megapixel count isn’t the be all and end all of IQ, but you get my drift ;))

Not watched it either, but there was a similar video not long ago where a guy does pretty large prints from an Em1 mkII and a Canon 5D mkIV ... even the print guy at end can't tell the difference

Flick to about 9mins in for the end results and the printer choosing

Let's be honest, prints aside, not many can tell the difference between M43 and FF in a blind test between images shot with similar [equivalent] settings even on screen. Unless we go high ISO, the only real are we see an obvious difference [besides really pushing DR]. There's an awful lot of Nancying about when it comes to specs, the bigger spenders are in more denial than anyone else when it comes to end result.

Last edited:
Just had to post about the great Olympus stand at the Photography Show.
Got my EM1 mkii and 12-40 and 75-300 cleaned and checked for free by Olympus Techs on stand as did my Mrs.
We also had a good play with lenses and bodies.

I expected the EM1x to be huge and weigh a tonne.
Being honest it was bigger, but still felt good as does my EM1, the weight was not significant to feel heavy, side by side.
The camera is clearly designed for longer lens use, but nice camera it was.

The future to market 150-400 Pro zoom was something else,shame it was bright white.
The 2x convertor that will also work with the longer lenses looked like it will be interesting when release.

Nice one Olympus.

The goody bag with tee shirt, hate etc. was a nice touch.
Happy 100 Birthday to Olympus and here is to many more.

Last edited:
My favourite shot from Junior Parkrun yesterday: junior runner with only one shoe after the other got stuck in the mud halfway down the course.

E-M1II + Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 using CAF:

20190317_094852_139 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Printing large with MFT kit

I found mention of this guys video over at DPR and FWIW I have yet to watch it but thought from the comments on the DPR thread that it might interest others here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ1oJdGxUkY
:)

Just watching this now, and Holy F, the size of the G9 compard to the em5 :D I didn't realise there was such a difference. Of course the em5 is tiny, I had one last year but sold on for that reason mostly, it was a bit crampy for me, prefer to have a nice grip.

I had an odd glitch with my EM1 mk2

I have been out using it all day (all uploaded to PC and sorting & culling et al) but when I took out the SD card and inserted another......formatting in camera AOK I found that when I switched the camera off, it would not power down!!!!

The only way was to remove the battery and reinsert it ~ all seems OK now but has anyone else had that happen???

Just watching this now, and Holy F, the size of the G9 compard to the em5 :D I didn't realise there was such a difference. Of course the em5 is tiny, I had one last year but sold on for that reason mostly, it was a bit crampy for me, prefer to have a nice grip.

I was a bit surprised too. Hadn't really seen one with something to compare like that.

Good video that.

Back