Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. I'd like to get a bit more into jpeg shooting with my EM5ii. It's something I enjoy on my Fuji X100t but on that the 'film simulations' are fairly close to what I want from the off. On the Olympus, I'm struggling a little to find stuff that I like. So I know this is subjective but does anyone have any 'recipes' they like and care to share them. My preferences are probably for a fairly punchy colour profile, a little more muted colour profile (kodachrome style) and a really contrast black and white (like acros).

2. And a related question. On the E-M5ii, is there some other way of tweaking tone curve other than by assigning a button to be multi-function? I cannot find it in the menu anywhere so I' having to change my button presets just to tweak the curve to experiment which seems faintly ridiculous.

Is anyone using the FastPictureViewer Codecs pack to 'see' their .ORF files in Windows Explorer file viewing?

Though I use FastStoneRaw viewer for my culling I do miss being used to seeing thumbnails in W10 Explorer. This Codec will it seems allow for that to happen with the Olympus .ORF files..................having this will allow for the initial culling of the obvious OOF and missed shots. Good though FSRV is it might even make it's use unnecessary???

Looked at the CAF sensitivity yesterday on my camera, it was set at 1+. Changed it now to 2+ so next time out. I will see if it makes a difference.

Hi Steve - just wondering if you managed to try out the new settings? While I was at Bushy Parkrun yesterday, I tried tracking a few moving dogs with the settings I suggested and I got quite a good keeper rate, despite not really being used to doing this - runners are definitely more predictable!

A few examples - not the greatest shots in the world but they are all critically sharp if you zoom to 100%:

20190323_090446_055 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

20190323_091201_069 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

20190323_085717_003 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Full album here; there are 30 shots of which 24 were critically sharp and 6 where the focus was slightly off:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151407326@N05/albums/72157704221801682

All photos taken with the 40-150 f/2.8

Last edited:
We was talking the other day about the Sigma 56mm f1.4. Yes I would love one, but it's not something I can just buy for the sake of it. Be nice if I could.
The was taken with the more affordable 60mm 2.8. Still one of my favourite lenses for my oly.
If you want a good cheap Sigma for under £100 used go for the 30 or 60mm 2.8

This little Robin was singing its heart out for us today in Greenwich Park. My hand was only inches away from it as it took some birdie treats from it. I swear as I whistled a little tune it copied back. Probably not intentional, but I like to think it was :)

Sing by Skyline:), on Flickr

Last edited:
hmm, it's not showing the photo for me. Just the box with the red cross.

I'll try this way,

full

hmm, it's not showing the photo for me. Just the box with the red cross.

I'll try this way,

full

Same happened to me earlier, looked as if the images didn't post correctly but others could see them. I can see both here, and a cracking Robin shot it is :) I agree on the Sigma 60 2.8, it might well be one of the best bang for buck lenses for the system, extremely sharp. I just wasn't using it enough, but wouldn't cancel out buying another.

Same happened to me earlier, looked as if the images didn't post correctly but others could see them. I can see both here, and a cracking Robin shot it is :) I agree on the Sigma 60 2.8, it might well be one of the best bang for buck lenses for the system, extremely sharp. I just wasn't using it enough, but wouldn't cancel out buying another.

I could have put the 30mm macro lens on and took photos of that robin. It sat there for a good few minutes singing and eating out my hand :)

I could have put the 30mm macro lens on and took photos of that robin. It sat there for a good few minutes singing and eating out my hand :)

We had a pair of them frequent the garden up until last year, sadly they haven't been around this winter/spring, I hope our moggy hasn't disposed of them! The male in particular was very braisen, would come right up by me on the garden table
Sir. Robin by K G, on Flickr

That was April last year, hopefully he'll show up again, I have started to put out some feed again. I stopped for a while as the cats were killing too many birds - one of them is now gone so the birds have half a chance

Last edited:
We had a pair of them frequent the garden up until last year, sadly they haven't been around this winter/spring, I hope our moggy hasn't disposed of them! The male in particular was very braisen, would come right up by me on the garden table
Sir. Robin by K G, on Flickr

That was April last year, hopefully he'll show up again, I have started to put out some feed again. I stopped for a while as the cats were killing too many birds - one of them is now gone so the birds have half a chance

I know this is an Olympus thread but I have to show you this :)

This was 2017. I had the same in 2018 and a new one this year all taking from my hand.

Would my EM10 mk2 be any good for capturing this kind of thing?..... An Olympus question :)

I know this is an Olympus thread but I have to show you this :)

This was 2017. I had the same in 2018 and a new one this year all taking from my hand.

Would my EM10 mk2 be any good for capturing this kind of thing?..... An Olympus question :)

That's really cool! I might try that if they do come back. I found that if I was in the garden long enough they would get braver every 20mins or so. I do have a shot somewhere taken with a 25mm, right up close like yours, but for some reason I never put it up on Flickr, can't actually find it atm so the one I posted above was the next closest. That is a Panasonic image btw :p I gave up worrying on that, always thought there should have been one mega M43 thread instead of separating them.

That's really cool! I might try that if they do come back. I found that if I was in the garden long enough they would get braver every 20mins or so. I do have a shot somewhere taken with a 25mm, right up close like yours, but for some reason I never put it up on Flickr, can't actually find it atm so the one I posted above was the next closest. That is a Panasonic image btw :p I gave up worrying on that, always thought there should have been one mega M43 thread instead of separating them.

I’ll try and get a photo or a video of the latest robin with my Olympus later. I haven’t taken any shots of the latesr one as it because the norm.
For the first time it looks like we are going to blue tits nesting in the garden. This is were the silent mode on the em10 mk2 will come into play. All I have to find now is a cordless remote for the camera

I’ll try and get a photo or a video of the latest robin with my Olympus later. I haven’t taken any shots of the latesr one as it because the norm.
For the first time it looks like we are going to blue tits nesting in the garden. This is were the silent mode on the em10 mk2 will come into play. All I have to find now is a cordless remote for the camera

Can't you use the mobile app? I set my camera on a mini tripod at the kitchen window sometimes and use the app from the table, this way the birds don't see me and aren't as skittish - pre-focus on a hot spot where they're landing often

I haven't tried the app. Time to investigate

Really handy, isn't hard to set up and once you use it you'll not bother with a separate remote again! After all, we always have our phone with us. Having the live view is great, I've had mine set up outside [camera on tripod aimed at feeders] and was able to keep an eye on the action from another room while watching tv :D it'll drop connection at times which is a pin as you have to go re-connect to the camera, but when it's working well it's great. I can't remember much about the Olympus app but did use it when I had the em51

Last edited:
Really handy, isn't hard to set up and once you use it you'll not bother with a separate remote again! After all, we always have our phone with us. Having the live view is great, I've had mine set up outside [camera on tripod aimed at feeders] and was able to keep an eye on the action from another room while watching tv :D it'll drop connection at times which is a pin as you have to go re-connect to the camera, but when it's working well it's great. I can't remember much about the Olympus app but did use it when I had the em51

Just put it on my ipad to start with. It's very cool :cool:. When the blue tit is nesting properly I can stick my camera on a tripod with a zoom and.... click.... on silent mode :)

At first glance I can't see a movie record button. Is there one on there?

Just put it on my ipad to start with. It's very cool :cool:. When the blue tit is nesting properly I can stick my camera on a tripod with a zoom and.... click.... on silent mode :)

At first glance I can't see a movie record button. Is there one on there?

There is on the Panasonic app, so I imagine there is on the Oly one, like I say it's been a while since I used that one. For video you will have to have all of your settings input before you go remote, for photos you can change the ISO, SS, WB and aperture - a lot more than you could with a wired or wireless remote

I found it. The camera is on aperture mode. It shows an A on the app. Click on that and you can used M,A,S,P and movie mode

Love it. I was once tempted by that camera.. ended up buying a Pen F and trying not to look at any more cameras now... ever... ;)

When I sold the canon a couple of years ago I regretted within a few weeks. I thought I don't need so many cameras. Fast forward to last year and that lx15 was screaming at me to buy it. I felt rude not to.......... I got the same feeling for my em10 mk2 :D

One taken today of the old trestles that once supported the local light railway branch line.
Light was very harsh so intend returning to get a better photo or two another time

P1002836 5.jpg

I recently returned back to M43 after years of just using a Sony RX100. I've got enough coverage from zooms but I'm looking for that one prime as the generic 'standard prime'. I used M43 from back in the Panasonic g3 era, so I've had both the 20mm 1.7 and the PanaLeica 25mm. The 20mm 1.7 is tempting due to the price but I just can't get on with that focal length, its too inbetween wide and standard for me and the PanaLeica is expensive and my copy wasn't that great.

As I've picked up an Olympus camera this time, I've been thinking the Oly 25mm 1.8 is the logical choice. Is anyone here using it? How'd you find it? I see a lot of reviews online calling it a very average lens. I've also been thinking about the Sigma 30mm 2.8 (I had the 60mm years ago and it was my sharpest prime). Any Sigma 30mm users on here?

There are just so many options for primes in this focal range!

Thanks, Chris.

Last edited:
I recently returned back to M43 after years of just using a Sony RX100. I've got enough coverage from zooms but I'm looking for that one prime as the generic 'standard prime'. I used M43 from back in the Panasonic g3 era, so I've had both the 20mm 1.7 and the PanaLeica 25mm. The 20mm 1.7 is tempting due to the price but I just can't get on with that focal length, its too inbetween wide and standard for me and the PanaLeica is expensive and my copy wasn't that great.

As I've picked up an Olympus camera this time, I've been thinking the Oly 25mm 1.8 is the logical choice. Is anyone here using it? How'd you find it? I see a lot of reviews online calling it a very average lens. I've also been thinking about the Sigma 30mm 2.8 (I had the 60mm years ago and it was my sharpest prime). Any Sigma 30mm users on here?

Thanks, Chris.

The Sigma primes are very good, I also had the 60mm 2.8 and it was as sharp as you like. David Thorpe showed up out of the blue with a video today on the Sigma 1.4 variants, might whet your appetite - he mentions the Sigma 30mm in the beginning [he is using Panasonic but the vid applies as much to Olympus]

The Sigma primes are very good, I also had the 60mm 2.8 and it was as sharp as you like. David Thorpe showed up out of the blue with a video today on the Sigma 1.4 variants, might whet your appetite - he mentions the Sigma 30mm in the beginning [he is using Panasonic but the vid applies as much to Olympus]

I was just watching that video before I posted, I haven't been keeping up to date with the camera market and just assumed the Sigma 30mm 1.4 would be expensive but I see one on MPB for £214, which isn't far off the Oly 25mm price. That is really tempting.

Thanks, Chris.
My most used lens is the Olympus 17mm f1.8. I just love it. The manual clutch is great and it’s super portable.
The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a very nice lens for not much money worth looking at above the much more expensive f1.4

Back