Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Yes boxed, spare ( non Olympus ) battery, all the other normal stuff, charger etc

Will check on the shutter count when I get home

It would make sense that it’s ‘only’ 1:1 after all conversions, but then I’m less interested tbh. The close working distance is not ideal for the reason you state, plus it decreases DOF.

I thought about adapting the Sigma but I was looking at weight saving, I think it’s something like 770g bs 185g.

Didn't think about the weight side, I had the Sigma 150mm OS, that thing was over a Kilo, not ideal for trying to hold dead steady when photographing at 1:1.

I was going to get another EM10MK11 for macro work but just been looking and the EM1MK1 is stupidly cheap, is there any obvious reason not to go for the EM1 for macro.

I was going to get another EM10MK11 for macro work but just been looking and the EM1MK1 is stupidly cheap, is there any obvious reason not to go for the EM1 for macro.

The EM1 MK1 is a cracking camera and can be found for not much money, it's built like a tank and better in the hand (my hands anyway) than a EM10.

Last edited:

Weather resistance and if you ever fancy adapting old 4/3 lenses [like the much fancied Olympus 50mm F2 macro] they really only work well on the EM1 bodies

Last edited:

There isn't as far as I know, plus the E-M1 has focus stacking for macro, which the E-M10II doesn't have I believe.

I only got rid of mine because I upgraded to the E-M1II - the E-M1 would be my 2nd or 3rd body of choice in the current Olympus line-up (behind the E-M1II and the E-M1X).

Mike I’m giving serious consideration to selling my em1 mk1 if you seriously fancy one .

Shame really but as I have a d500 and d600, and a rx100 for business travel, I don’t really need another system

I love m43 though so it’s a touch heavy hearted

Shame really but as I have a d500 and d600, and a rx100 for business travel, I don’t really need another system

I love m43 though so it’s a touch heavy hearted
If you need to give your d500 away to help your conscience I'd try it........

It’s a lovely offer but I need it as my 15 year old keeps nicking the d600. Then I think I’m safe and today he nicked the d500

Kids..

Lol god loves a tryer
My 16 year old permanently knocked a d7100 I bought to try

Mike I’m giving serious consideration to selling my em1 mk1 if you seriously fancy one .

Thanks, i will give it thought but being a pensioner and having two weeks ago got a lot of new gear i will need at least one more pension to come in ;)

I don't know if you know this but be careful how far yo go discussing sales in threads like this, i think we are ok up to now.

So, I managed to get a silver em-d10mk2 in silver for my wife.:)
Thinking about a compact lens for it. Probably best with a bit of zoom tbh.
Is the Panasonic 12-32 a decent lens?
Like the fact its a bit wider than the 14-42 lens.
It's probably all she would need.
Would an Olympus equivalent be better?
Cheers

Cheers
If you want something with a longer zoom, the panny 12-60mm's not bad either, although not as compact as the 12-32.

Cheers
I had the 12-32 on a Gx 80 was very surprised how good it was, only thing I did not like was the lack of manual focus apart from "in camera".

Haven’t moved out the house and done much photography since 2017 tbh probably got a bit of stuff sat on one of my hard drives.
But health issues haven’t helped in recent years .
Nice again, but have you got anything more recent than 2017? :D

It would make sense that it’s ‘only’ 1:1 after all conversions, but then I’m less interested tbh. The close working distance is not ideal for the reason you state, plus it decreases DOF.

I thought about adapting the Sigma but I was looking at weight saving, I think it’s something like 770g bs 185g.
I'm pretty sure it's just 1:1.

I love the 60mm macro, though I don't use it an awful lot. Because it's so light, it's easy to throw it in your pocket when you go for a walk, and with my little pocket tripod, it's good for fungi and flowers, and there's always focus stacking...

Haven’t moved out the house and done much photography since 2017 tbh probably got a bit of stuff sat on one of my hard drives.
But health issues haven’t helped in recent years .

Ha, I was just jesting ;) I think I'd seen the images you posted before? Nothing wrong with re-posting old images that you're proud of :)

Guys, I'm looking for a camera for my wife so she can take photos of the grandkids etc.
Ive been looking at the lumix gx80 but She likes the look of the em-d10 mk2.
I've got a Panasonic G80 and was thinking she could "borrow" my lenses.
Any issues using Panasonic lenses on this body?
Anything to be aware of or consider with this body?
Cheers

I have the E-M10ii (upgraded from the i) and it has no issues with Panasonic lenses bar you won't get the in lens IS or the aperture ring on those units.
I'm pretty sure the JPGs are optically corrected out of the camera - certainly I've never noticed any issues.
My earliest shots with the Panasonic f1.7 25mm were taken JPG only and edited in GIMP which isn't EXIF aware first on the 10i then 10ii.
What I've taken with the P25mm f1.7
https://flic.kr/s/aHskZ9LToW

Cheers

Can't comment on the Panasonic 12-32 but I love the little 14-42 EZ lens on the E-M10ii - this and the Olympus f1.8 17mm are my go to kit.
What I've taken with the 14-42
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1c7oMZ

Flickr seems to be having a melt down for me at the moment, hopefully those links work.

Last edited:
I have the E-M10ii (upgraded from the i) and it has no issues with Panasonic lenses bar you won't get the in lens IS or the aperture ring on those units.
I'm pretty sure the JPGs are optically corrected out of the camera - certainly I've never noticed any issues.
My earliest shots with the Panasonic f1.7 25mm were taken JPG only and edited in GIMP which isn't EXIF aware first on the 10i then 10ii.
What I've taken with the P25mm f1.7

Can't comment on the Panasonic 12-32 but I love the little 14-42 EZ lens on the E-M10ii - this and the Olympus f1.8 17mm are my go to kit.
What I've taken with the 14-42

Flickr seems to be having a melt down for me at the moment, hopefully those links work.
Thanks for that.
Both links are the same...:)

The 25 1.7 looks like a good lens.
Will likely get that and we can both use it :)

It's a great lens for the money, it was the first lens I bought for the em5 when I had it. Very sharp, quiet, light and tidy. There has been some reports about focus shift with this lens though, on Panasonic cameras the way to work around it is use M mode and set the camera 'constant preview' on [I leave this one all the time either way] - shooting in this configuration sees the lens remain at the aperture you set it for when shooting, in other modes the lens opens up to focus and closes down when you press the shutter and this can cause focus shift between 2.8 - F4.
Check out from 2:35 in this review, see the difference when he switches to M mode

At 5:35 he shows how to work around it, he does mention this is specific to Panasonic cameras so the issue may not occur on Olympus bodies. Panasonic bodies are set to open up the lens to gather light for focusing, then stop down as you shoot, in manual mode with constant preview set on the lens will be stopped down already and avoid the issue. I think this is why some found this lens not as sharp as they wished, they didn't know of the issue. The difference is amazing once you shoot this way and the lens is sharper than the Olympus 25mm f/1.2! [according to this reviewer who has tested both]

Last edited:
Have just been informed that I won the Olympus Magazine competition for issue number 61(see page 11), I get to spend time with Mike Inkley photographing the BTCC, very exciting :banana: I've never been to Thruxton before either so that'll be cool (y)
http://eng.olympusmag.co.uk/issue61/

This was my winning entry (apologies for infiltrating the Olly thread with a Nikon image ;))

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Have just been informed that I won the Olympus Magazine competition for issue number 61(see page 11), I get to spend time with Mike Inkley photographing the BTCC, very exciting :banana: I've never been to Thruxton before either so that'll be cool (y)

This was my winning entry (apologies for infiltrating the Olly thread with a Nikon image ;))

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Fantastic. Well done Snerkler.

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Nice one ~ congrats :)

FWIW I also entered though with a car and mine taken on my old Canon ;)

PS where was yours taken? Being an older bike makes me think it was Goodwood event???

Yay...but how does it work that you won an oly competition with a Nikon
It was the Olympus online magazine and the terms never specified the camera make had to be Olympus :)

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nice, should be a fun day, you'll get to give your new 40-150 a good work out

Yay...but how does it work that you won an oly competition with a Nikon
Thanks. Dunno, but in the Olympus magazine competition t’s & c’s there’s no stipulations as to what equipment is used, unlike the Olympus newsletter comps.
Fantastic. Well done Snerkler.
Thanks.
Nice one ~ congrats :)

FWIW I also entered though with a car and mine taken on my old Canon ;)

PS where was yours taken? Being an older bike makes me think it was Goodwood event???

It was the Olympus online magazine and the terms never specified the camera make had to be Olympus :)
Thanks, it was at Donington at the Vintage Bike Festival.
Nice, should be a fun day, you'll get to give your new 40-150 a good work out
Yep, should be ideal (y)

Back