Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A worthy winner, even if I can't work out how you did it*, congrats.

*unless that bit around the bike is all photoshop

Have just been informed that I won the Olympus Magazine competition for issue number 61(see page 11), I get to spend time with Mike Inkley photographing the BTCC, very exciting :banana: I've never been to Thruxton before either so that'll be cool (y)
http://eng.olympusmag.co.uk/issue61/

This was my winning entry (apologies for infiltrating the Olly thread with a Nikon image ;))

DSC_9446-Edit-2
by TDG-77, on Flickr
Well done! Lovely image - particularly like the red bike and red background at that point. Really nice... although it's Nikon yucky yuk :LOL::LOL::LOL: Enjoy yourself

A worthy winner, even if I can't work out how you did it*, congrats.

*unless that bit around the bike is all photoshop
Thanks. No photoshop involved, just a very slow shutter speed with trees in the background.
Well done! Lovely image - particularly like the red bike and red background at that point. Really nice... although it's Nikon yucky yuk :LOL::LOL::LOL: Enjoy yourself
Thanks (y):nikon::olympus:

Anyone recommend a screen protector for the 10mk2?
Cheers
I haven't tried it on that one, but I use Expert Shield protectors. Once on, they stay on and the touch screen works and it doesn't impede the articulating screen... at least that is true for the Pen f, The EM1ii and the Em5ii plus a couple of Canons that I've put them on over the years.

I've torn the rubber on my eye cup when the strap jammed under it :(
It's not clear from the manual how to detach the eye cup - it seems to suggest you just push up but it's not easy and I don't want to damage it more before I have a replacement to hand.

1555499890733.png

Has anyone got the part number for the standard Eye Cup on the OM-D E-M10 mark2 and/or a recommendation where to get one?

I can see in the manual there is an optional large Eyecup (EP-16) but it doesn't have the original part number.

TIA! :)

I've torn the rubber on my eye cup when the strap jammed under it :(
It's not clear from the manual how to detach the eye cup - it seems to suggest you just push up but it's not easy and I don't want to damage it more before I have a replacement to hand.

View attachment 242514

Has anyone got the part number for the standard Eye Cup on the OM-D E-M10 mark2 and/or a recommendation where to get one?

I can see in the manual there is an optional large Eyecup (EP-16) but it doesn't have the original part number.

TIA! :)
You do just push it up, it's stiff but comes off. I have the large eyecup and find it better as my nose doesn't get as squashed on the LCD (I'm a left eye shooter). Stupidly expensive for a bit fo rubber though :eek:

You do just push it up, it's stiff but comes off. I have the large eyecup and find it better as my nose doesn't get as squashed on the LCD (I'm a left eye shooter). Stupidly expensive for a bit fo rubber though :eek:
Don't you have the E-M1 mark ii though?

I don't have any issues with the current eye cup (other than I've damaged it) and I'm not keen to make the body any deeper. I have a feeling a larger eye cup is more likely to catch.

The various eBay and Amazon listings show a wide array of eye cups and models but very few mention the E-M10ii specifically and I haven't found it as a listed accessory on the real photography suppliers like Wex etc.

I don't have any issues with the current eye cup (other than I've damaged it) and I'm not keen to make the body any deeper. I have a feeling a larger eye cup is more likely to catch.

The various eBay and Amazon listings show a wide array of eye cups and models but very few mention the E-M10ii specifically and I haven't found it as a listed accessory on the real photography suppliers like Wex etc.

Here you go http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/
Look under spare parts, then Its on the accessories page and is an EP-15
1555503875598.png

I got my E-M1 extended eyecup from them, came next day

Last edited:

I've had 'issues' with all the various OMD's tbh. I thought the eyecup was the same on all OMD's?

The em5 I got from MPB a few years back was missing the eye cup, if it's going on that long you'd think they'd have improved the design by now!

Here you go http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/
Look under spare parts, then Its on the accessories page and is an EP-15
View attachment 242516

I got my E-M1 extended eyecup from them, came next day

Magic - that's what I wanted to find but couldn't! - Many thanks

I've had 'issues' with all the various OMD's tbh. I thought the eyecup was the same on all OMD's?

I wish!

1555506142986.png

The em5 I got from MPB a few years back was missing the eye cup, if it's going on that long you'd think they'd have improved the design by now!

I can't really blame the design. I snagged the strap between the screen, eye cup and mode dial - instead of being careful I just tugged and tore the rubber lug on the right side so it won't stay flat.

Now I've seen both sides of the right part I've worked out how to detach mine, a thumbnail under the tag in the centre bottom was needed.
On the inside it says "Olympus EP-15" :)
Now it's off the camera and I can see that the rubber and the plastic frame are all one "spare" part I can have a go at gluing the rubber back on before I spend £9.99+shipping.

Thanks all! :)

Magic - that's what I wanted to find but couldn't! - Many thanks

I wish!

View attachment 242518

I can't really blame the design. I snagged the strap between the screen, eye cup and mode dial - instead of being careful I just tugged and tore the rubber lug on the right side so it won't stay flat.

Now I've seen both sides of the right part I've worked out how to detach mine, a thumbnail under the tag in the centre bottom was needed.
On the inside it says "Olympus EP-15" :)
Now it's off the camera and I can see that the rubber and the plastic frame are all one "spare" part I can have a go at gluing the rubber back on before I spend £9.99+shipping.

Thanks all! :)

People are always reporting losing though too

Never heard of anyone losing ones from Olly tbh, the D750 on the other hand... ;)

When I was buying the em5 I was looking up the eye cup, as it stated on the site it came without one. Found loads of posts across forums of people complaining about losing them, must have improved the design a lot by then

The EP-10 for the Mk i E-M5 and E-M10 doesn't seem to have the tab/clip at the bottom of the unit which you can see on the EP-12 and EP-15 eye cups. Perhaps that was added?

I've never had a problem ... until now - mine was quite an effort to remove and I can't imagine it happening by accident.
Ironically if it had come off more easily I probably wouldn't have damaged it with the strap!

Knowing the rubber and frame were all one bit I felt brave, gluing the rubber to the frame was simple enough with a dab of superglue and went really well until I had a short circuit and instead of releasing the clamp I'd used to hold it in place I squeezed it tighter :eek: - snapping part of the lower frame around the catch and distorting it :oops: :$ :mad:
So I've bent and glued that back together but it's not perfect, it's back on the camera for now I have a new one coming in the post from Luton cameras
Obviously this all happens before the long Easter weekend when I'm flying first thing on Tuesday morning :rolleyes:

The EP-10 for the Mk i E-M5 and E-M10 doesn't seem to have the tab/clip at the bottom of the unit which you can see on the EP-12 and EP-15 eye cups. Perhaps that was added?

I've never had a problem ... until now - mine was quite an effort to remove and I can't imagine it happening by accident.
Ironically if it had come off more easily I probably wouldn't have damaged it with the strap!

Knowing the rubber and frame were all one bit I felt brave, gluing the rubber to the frame was simple enough with a dab of superglue and went really well until I had a short circuit and instead of releasing the clamp I'd used to hold it in place I squeezed it tighter :eek: - snapping part of the lower frame around the catch and distorting it :oops: :$ :mad:
So I've bent and glued that back together but it's not perfect, it's back on the camera for now I have a new one coming in the post from Luton cameras
Obviously this all happens before the long Easter weekend when I'm flying first thing on Tuesday morning :rolleyes:
Fingers crossed it arrives in time. Shame the EM1-II one won’t fit otherwise I could have sent you mine.

Fingers crossed it arrives in time. Shame the EM1-II one won’t fit otherwise I could have sent you mine.
That's very kind of you but won't be necessary :)

The repaired one seems to be OK. It's actually better than it was with the right hand side rubber flapping about, I just think it may pop off eventually and if the glue on plastic bar on the bottom breaks then there's no tension in the clip. I'll just have to be careful pulling it out of the bag to make sure I don't snag it.

That’s sad but it was way more than I was prepared to spend.
Disappointed I missed out on the Curry’s clearance ones if it won’t be replaced. :(

Last edited:
My wife is enjoying her new om-d em10mk2.
Any suggested/recommended settings that I should change to get the best out of it for her?
General photos of grandkids and maybe some landscape shots etc.
No fast action or anything like that, so ok with focus settings etc.
Cheers

Any suggested/recommended settings that I should change to get the best out of it for her?
Cheers

I found one of the nice things about the EM10 was that as it didn't have many controls I could just set it to aperture priority and shoot without worrying about fiddling with buttons and settings.

That’s sad but it was way more than I was prepared to spend.
Disappointed I missed out on the Curry’s clearance ones if it won’t be replaced. :(

Olympus are likely to kill off the PEN-F line.
https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-the-pen-f-line-has-been-killed/
I liked the size. We'll have to look to Panasonica for compact m43s now I suppose.

Same for me, too much money for what it was, touch of form over function.
Panasonic GX9 has the same sensor and costs about half the price, some better and worse features when compared.

Same for me, too much money for what it was, touch of form over function.
Agreed, unless you need the 20mp sensor the EM5-II was/is a better buy imo, primarily due to the bigger EVF and weather sealing.

The Pef-F is a lovely little camera, ideal for walkabout and particularly street. No one notices you.

The Pef-F is a lovely little camera, ideal for walkabout and particularly street. No one notices you.
It is lovely, and still one of the best looking cameras imo. It's one of those that you buy with your heart rather than your head though imo (y)

If I wasn't listing after speed and long focal length I'd buy a pen f just for wandering about with cool little camera imho

Cheers

It's quite old but Robin Wong's cheat sheet is still worth a read
https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html

First thing I'd do is update the firmware before you change any settings as it will blitz them :)
The keep warm colour can be a bit odd if you don't process from ORF each time.
Mine mainly lives in program with the Auto ISO set at a max of 3200 to prevent it climbing mountains without me noticing.
I set focus peaking on Fn2 as I never use the inbuilt curve thing.
I tend to use SAF+MF and single shot - either Anti Shock or Silent.
If I need a burst then Sequential Low so it acquires focus on each shot.
Stabilisation set to Auto.

EDIT - and when you're baffled as to why you can't enable the flash the chances are you're using Silent shutter, set it to Anti shock and it will be available :)

FWIW I bought a UHS-II SD card for it - I rarely shoot bursts but it means the camera shuts off faster which is handy with the EZ motorised zoom as that doesn't collapse until the image is saved.
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/l...-1000x-speed-150mb-s-32gb-wh2-lsd32gcrbeu1000

Last edited:
It's quite old but Robin Wong's cheat sheet is still worth a read
https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-robin-wongs-om-d-camera-cheat-sheet.html

First thing I'd do is update the firmware before you change any settings as it will blitz them :)
The keep warm colour can be a bit odd if you don't process from ORF each time.
Mine mainly lives in program with the Auto ISO set at a max of 3200 to prevent it climbing mountains without me noticing.
I set focus peaking on Fn2 as I never use the inbuilt curve thing.
I tend to use SAF+MF and single shot - either Anti Shock or Silent.
If I need a burst then Sequential Low so it acquires focus on each shot.
Stabilisation set to Auto.

EDIT - and when you're baffled as to why you can't enable the flash the chances are you're using Silent shutter, set it to Anti shock and it will be available :)

FWIW I bought a UHS-II SD card for it - I rarely shoot bursts but it means the camera shuts off faster which is handy with the EZ motorised zoom as that doesn't collapse until the image is saved.
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/l...-1000x-speed-150mb-s-32gb-wh2-lsd32gcrbeu1000
Thanks for that
The cheat sheet looks useful

I can't remember if I have asked this one here already, so.....

Is the Olympus 25mm worth the extra money than the Panasonic 25mm F1.7?
It will be going on my EM10 MK2 for 99.9% photos

Never used the Oly version but spec-wise they are very similar, with similar close focus ability, both have 7-bladed aperture so 'bokeh' will be similar too, all I know is one is half the cost of the other and I used the Pany version on an Em5 and loved the combination. This was one of the first images I took using it, had just bought it in Dublin City:
Dublin Spire by K G, on Flickr

I don't have an Oly body anymore so any excuse to post an old photo from one :D This would have been one of my first experiences with IBIS too and was impressed that I could hand hold at 1/8 for a night scene, get some motion in the people crossing. Of course the old em5 had lesser than today's models, think it was 4 stops as opposed to 5 in the later versions and I could have gone slower here, just wasn't used to it :)

Last edited:

In my opinion the Panasonic is the one to go for. I can’t tell the difference image wise and they’re both built similarly. You can pick up the Panasonic for less that £100.

If there is any new wisdom about what to do when the Olympus 40-150 Pro lens hood falls apart in your hands, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks

If there is any new wisdom about what to do when the Olympus 40-150 Pro lens hood falls apart in your hands, I would appreciate knowing about it. Thanks

I sent it off to Olympus and they fixed it for free (apart from the shipping that I paid to get it to them). I don't think mine was still under warranty.

Back