Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Fingers crossed it arrives in time. Shame the EM1-II one won’t fit otherwise I could have sent you mine.
New EP-15 eye cup arrived from Luton cameras this morning - the last possible post before I travel, but as it's here that doesn't matter :).
The glued one fell apart while removing it so it was really fortunate I didn't need to travel with it like that.
All's well that ends well :)

New EP-15 eye cup arrived from Luton cameras this morning - the last possible post before I travel, but as it's here that doesn't matter :).
The glued one fell apart while removing it so it was really fortunate I didn't need to travel with it like that.
All's well that ends well :)

Glad it got there in time.
A handy and reliable place for spares, I bought a hotshoe cover from them as well.

Is the 40-150mm lens hood disintegrating a common problem?

I was thinking of doing that myself; whiich address did you use?

I contacted Olympus Support in the UK. They told me to send it to their service centre (UK address). At this point, they didn't promise to fix it for free. From there, I think it got sent to Portugal and I got it back a week or so afterwards with no demand for any payment.

I
I contacted Olympus Support in the UK. They told me to send it to their service centre (UK address). At this point, they didn't promise to fix it for free. From there, I think it got sent to Portugal and I got it back a week or so afterwards with no demand for any payment.
And they gave you that address? I haven't been able to find one.

I

And they gave you that address? I haven't been able to find one.

Send an email to camera.support.uk@olympus.eu and they should respond with further steps you need to take, including the paperwork you need to fill in and the address you need to send the lens hood to.

Thanks. I did not buy this from new, although it looked new when I received it from a member on here; I am not sure that they will accept this. I will contact them after the long weekend. Thanks.

What's wrong with it? I would have thought it was the same or similar to the 12-40 hood?
It's a rather nice retracting lens hood that works nicely. A quick turn of a collar and it retracts easily without the need to turn it round.
The lens cap is prone to spontaneously falling apart too. Not had a problem with my 12-40 cap though which I have had for years.

Last edited:
It's a rather nice retracting lens hood that works nicely. A quick turn of a collar and it retracts easily without the need to turn it round.
The lens cap is prone to spontaneously falling apart too. Not a had a problem with my 12-40 cap though which I have had for years.

I bought my 12-40 used and I have it now about a year, the only mark on it is some wear around the edge of the hood from pulling it in and out of the bag I guess. The lens itself is still minty though, and I don't exactly baby it. The cap can be annoying though, it has popped off on me many times in the bag, don't know if mine is a little looser than the norm

What's wrong with it? I would have thought it was the same or similar to the 12-40 hood?
As above, it's a retracting hood.
I bought my 12-40 used and I have it now about a year, the only mark on it is some wear around the edge of the hood from pulling it in and out of the bag I guess. The lens itself is still minty though, and I don't exactly baby it. The cap can be annoying though, it has popped off on me many times in the bag, don't know if mine is a little looser than the norm
It has to be put on with 100% precision otherwise it does pop off, pretty annoying when it does.

As above, it's a retracting hood.
It has to be put on with 100% precision otherwise it does pop off, pretty annoying when it does.

Ah righty, I've had hoods like that, can be a right PITA. Would a third party one be better I wonder? Might actually stay put - might be worth for £12 or whatever they're going for

Thanks. I did not buy this from new, although it looked new when I received it from a member on here; I am not sure that they will accept this. I will contact them after the long weekend. Thanks.

I bought mine on eBay and when I had the issue any original warranty had long expired. I did have PRO support status when I requested the repair. My thinking was: I'll get Olympus to quote for the repair, if it's too expensive I'll just buy a new hood. Then they fixed it and returned it for free, so quite impressed because Olympus could reasonably have charged me for the repair.

Ah righty, I've had hoods like that, can be a right PITA. Would a third party one be better I wonder? Might actually stay put - might be worth for £12 or whatever they're going for
I meant the 12-40mm front cap you referred to ;)

I meant the 12-40mm front cap you referred to ;)

Yeah it's irritating, in reviews I seen people just pop it on no problem, and I'm fiddling and sliding it all over the place trying to get it to sit :D Often I just leave it off, the hood protects the front element enough in the bag

I replace all my lens caps with cheap eBay pinch caps as soon as I get them. They’re so expensive.
After losing my hot shoe cover on the epl5 o now take them off too and replace them with rubber covers with built in spirit levels which are more useful if I remember to look at them ;)

I replace all my lens caps with cheap eBay pinch caps as soon as I get them. They’re so expensive.
After losing my hot shoe cover on the epl5 o now take them off too and replace them with rubber covers with built in spirit levels which are more useful if I remember to look at them ;)

I think the G80 might be the first camera I have ever owned where I still have the hot shoe cover! Honestly don't know how I managed that because I use a flash trigger on the hot shoe all the time, I've just been good with replacing it with the cover when done each time

Quick question re my wife's em10mk2.
On my G80, if I alter the exposure compensation it changes in the viewfinder or on the display, but on the em10 is doesn't
Is this a setting thing?
Cheers

On my G80, if I alter the exposure compensation it changes in the viewfinder or on the display, but on the em10 is doesn't
Is this a setting thing?
Cheers

On the G80 we have an option called 'Constant preview' - which shows us live preview of the exposure, on the Olympus this is called something else, I think it's 'Live exposure view' Look for this in the menu and see if it's on

Is this a setting thing?
Cheers
Yes it’s a setting but I can’t remember what it’s called :facepalm:

Lens cap on the 12-40 is useless, one of the springs inside mine became dislodged. Opened it up by removing the retaining ring and there was the spring rattling about loose. Now using a Pentax cap that actually stays put and doesn't pop off each time it's slightly nudged.

Olympus planning a something to something none pro lens :ROFLMAO:

olympus_lens_roadmap.jpg

Not had the chance to get out much, here's quite a heavily cropped one from yesterday from the 12-40 (didn't have my 60mm with me) and the em5mkii

2019-04-21_10-37-58 by alligator1975, on Flickr

I forgot how close you can get with this lens.

And this one as was

20190421_213213 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Nice :) That is one of my favorite things about the 12-40, it's great for close up photography and has nice magnification for what I would call 'environment macro' - where you're framing more of the scene your subject is in.

I was really surprised to find that the cheap Canon 55-250 lens I am adapting has similar close up capability with 1:3.4 magnification but better working distance. The 12-40 is of course sharper, even at 2.8 than the Canon is at 4-5.6 but it's another nice option as I love this type of photography. Between these 2 lenses and a Raynox attachment I'm covered on the macro side

Nice :) That is one of my favorite things about the 12-40, it's great for close up photography and has nice magnification for what I would call 'environment macro' - where you're framing more of the scene your subject is in.

I was really surprised to find that the cheap Canon 55-250 lens I am adapting has similar close up capability with 1:3.4 magnification but better working distance. The 12-40 is of course sharper, even at 2.8 than the Canon is at 4-5.6 but it's another nice option as I love this type of photography. Between these 2 lenses and a Raynox attachment I'm covered on the macro side
I wonder what the 100-400mm would be like with the raynox? :thinking:

I wonder what the 100-400mm would be like with the raynox? :thinking:

At 400mm it would be crazy magnification, just above 4:1! I stick between 100 - 135mm using it mostly, beyond that you're probably going to want a tripod. I used to use one on my 100-300 too and it was above 3:1 magnification at the long end and I did get some crazy close up bug shots hand held but it's exhausting :D

Raynox calculator here: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

Your 100-400 at 100mm will give you 1.25:1 and it goes up from there as you zoom. I can tell you that AF works very good when using a Raynox, if needed, though I MF almost always with it unless I'm pulling back below 100mm for more close up than macro, just as with a dedicated macro lens AF slows up the closer in you get. It worked very nicely with AF on the Sigma 60mm I had, which gave just over 1:2 mag. I've never felt I lost any sharpness using it either, the optics are very good, unlike some of the cheapo add on filters you can get

The only issue you might experience is vignetting as the front element of the 100-400 is pretty large no? It vignettes on the 12-40 which is a shame because I had hoped to use it on there too

Last edited:
At 400mm it would be crazy magnification, just above 4:1! I stick between 100 - 135mm using it mostly, beyond that you're probably going to want a tripod. I used to use one on my 100-300 too and it was above 3:1 magnification at the long end and I did get some crazy close up bug shots hand held but it's exhausting :D

Raynox calculator here: http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/

Your 100-400 at 100mm will give you 1.25:1 and it goes up from there as you zoom. I can tell you that AF works very good when using a Raynox, if needed, though I MF almost always with it unless I'm pulling back below 100mm for more close up than macro, just as with a dedicated macro lens AF slows up the closer in you get. It worked very nicely with AF on the Sigma 60mm I had, which gave just over 1:2 mag. I've never felt I lost any sharpness using it either, the optics are very good, unlike some of the cheapo add on filters you can get

The only issue you might experience is vignetting as the front element of the 100-400 is pretty large no? It vignettes on the 12-40 which is a shame because I had hoped to use it on there too
Yeah I can see vignetting being a big issue. I'm interested to know what the working distance would be like, I'll have to give it a go at some point ;)

Yeah I can see vignetting being a big issue. I'm interested to know what the working distance would be like, I'll have to give it a go at some point ;)

Looking at the calculator I think a Raynox 150 will be more suitable, it offers a bit more working distance. Between 18 and 20cm as opposed to 11-12cm with the 250. Magnification isn't as high but this might suit too as at 100mm you would get 0.85 magnification which might be useful for more close up as opposed to high mag macro. You of course get higher magnification as you increase the FL, it's just more versatile. I use the 250 but on a 55-250 lens so I have good flexibility there. There is zero vignette on the lens I'm using and as far as I can remember there wasn't on the 100-300 either. At 70mm or so I get good close up ability without it being difficult, when I want to get more detail on bugs or whatever I'll zoom to 100+

Actually looking further into it you might be better off with a Canon 72mm 500D Close-up Lens - this is recommended for the 100-400 on other forums over a Raynox, as you will also require a step down ring [72mm - 67mm] before you can clip the Raynox on, and apparently the Canon 500D lens offers greater working distance. Fair bit pricier though, that's if you can find the 72mm one

Last edited:
Looking at the calculator I think a Raynox 150 will be more suitable, it offers a bit more working distance. Between 18 and 20cm as opposed to 11-12cm with the 250. Magnification isn't as high but this might suit too as at 100mm you would get 0.85 magnification which might be useful for more close up as opposed to high mag macro. You of course get higher magnification as you increase the FL, it's just more versatile. I use the 250 but on a 55-250 lens so I have good flexibility there. There is zero vignette on the lens I'm using and as far as I can remember there wasn't on the 100-300 either. At 70mm or so I get good close up ability without it being difficult, when I want to get more detail on bugs or whatever I'll zoom to 100+
Thanks, I've just tried the 250 and it's too small for the lens, doesn't even clip on ;)

Testing the sharpness of the 40-150mm f2.8 on our old girl this evening. Another very sharp Olly lens (if you view the original file), I'm finding I'm having to decrease sharpness from the default in LR. TBH you could probably get away with 0 sharpening.

P4222398
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: akr
Hi everyone
After some more advice from you all please. We are thinking of going on hols (health permitting) to North Majorca around September but with Ian having pro lenses 12-40mm and 40-150mm is it worth investing in the Olympus 12-100mm Pro or just take the two? Except for carrying less equipment would he benefit/lose out by having the extra lens please?
Cheers. Ceri

Hi everyone
After some more advice from you all please. We are thinking of going on hols (health permitting) to North Majorca around September but with Ian having pro lenses 12-40mm and 40-150mm is it worth investing in the Olympus 12-100mm Pro or just take the two? Except for carrying less equipment would he benefit/lose out by having the extra lens please?
Cheers. Ceri
So it's the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro? Will Ian be planning on shooting wildlife, or just scenery/family pics?

Back