Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Chalk and cheese are opposites used in this context Toby.

Perhaps night and day would be a better metaphor
You've really never heard this expression!? It's same as night and day as mentioned above, or apples to oranges :D
PMSL, the wonders of the internet and misinterpretations :LOL: ;)

I know what chalk and cheese means but I meant what was the reference, the two bodies or the processing styles? (y)

Last edited:
PMSL, the wonders of the internet and misinterpretations :LOL: ;)

I know what chalk and cheese means but I meant what was the reference, the two bodies or the processing styles? (y)

Haha, did wonder where you'd been hiding not having hear that expression!

I imagined the bodies but it may as you say be mainly down to processing
Sorry, I’m being a bit thick tonight (pretty usual that ;)). I think I’m on track now, so you’re saying you think the images you’re getting with the EM5-II are chalk and cheese with those you’re seeing on the EM1-II?

I do honestly think a lot is PP, it’s taken me a long time to reach this conclusion and I think one of the issues is that often the edits look quite extreme if you compare them to the original raw, and as a result I always thought I was overdoing them. However, as I said if I then did a direct comparison with like for like from my D850 the processed Olly files weren’t extreme.

I’m not sure if this is just how Olly/mft files are, or whether it’s how LR handles .orf files and applies profiles, maybe they are simply not as ‘aggressive’ as Nikon profiles by default.

All that being I think you underestimate your own images if that’s what you’re referring to as they look good to me (y)

There’s no question that the EM1-II is a much better performer in terms of speed and AF though, and a bit better in noise handling.

Last edited:
Cheers Toby, I think I just need to use the Oly a bit more now the light's better.

Although it's always nice to get a new bit of kit.

I picked up some Pentax stuff the other week and can say the K3ii is a superb bit of kit.
The lack of an AA filter really shows, even with a kit zoom.So I'm having fun with that and the Oly at the moment.

Thanks Keith.

Need to explore what the EM5 MK2 can do I think before splashing out more cash

I've got the E-M5II and the E-M1II and in terms of IQ there's not that much difference between them IMO. The E-M1II has pretty decent CAF performance for moving subjects and a bit more resolution. It also handles better with most PRO glass, so these are the main reasons I would consider for getting an E-M1II.

Last edited:
I haven't gone looking for it, but I didn't really notice a difference in the files from the EM1ii and the EM5ii.

Here are a few from the Pen F this last weekend. I had some trouble with banding from the lights. At the gig I tried the anti flicker on auto, 50Hz and 60Hz and went back to auto in the end, but it didn't seem to make much difference. Any tips on that from anyone?190427213207-P4270062.jpg190428154023-P4280065.jpg190428154155-P4280072.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Toby, I think I just need to use the Oly a bit more now the light's better.

Although it's always nice to get a new bit of kit.

I picked up some Pentax stuff the other week and can say the K3ii is a superb bit of kit.
The lack of an AA filter really shows, even with a kit zoom.So I'm having fun with that and the Oly at the moment.
Having owned both the biggest improvement is in af, especially for moving subjects. I also think the em1.2 feels better in the hand. IQ wise it's much of a muchness. You also get dual card slots which its useful

Last edited:
I haven't gone looking for it, but I didn't really notice a difference in the files from the EM1ii and the EM5ii.

Here are a few from the Pen F this last weekend. I had some trouble with banding from the lights. At the gig I tried the anti flicker on auto, 50Hz and 60Hz and went back to auto in the end, but it didn't seem to make much difference. Any tips on that from anyone?View attachment 243942View attachment 243943View attachment 243944

Nice images! - On the banding, the only thing I can think of off hand is to try various shutter speed to counter, try different match ups of ISO/SS, trial and error. DO you have any images from the gig that didn't have banding? check the exif data from those, see what worked on that occasion

Nice images! - On the banding, the only thing I can think of off hand is to try various shutter speed to counter, try different match ups of ISO/SS, trial and error. DO you have any images from the gig that didn't have banding? check the exif data from those, see what worked on that occasion

Good idea - will go through and have a look. I didn’t get banding on all of them and this one above was okay - ISO 3200 and no noise reduction. I was experimenting with settings.

The bands are very broad, so maybe it’s not a flicker issue. Will post an example when I get on my computer.

In my experience banding has been related mainly to shutter speed, and partly to the type of shutter used, it being more prevalent with the electronic shutter, and at higher shutter speeds.

I've got the E-M5II and the E-M1II and in terms of IQ there's that much difference between them IMO. The E-M1II has pretty decent CAF performance for moving subjects and a bit more resolution. It also handles better with most PRO glass, so these are the main reasons I would consider for getting an E-M1II.
Is that a typo or are you genuinely finding a lot of difference? I can't really split it except for the resolution and noise handling.
Thanks all.

It's obviously just GAS :)
Nothing wrong with that imo, life's here to enjoy. Having owned both I would choose the EM1-II over the EM5-II without hesitation for the following main reasons.

Better (for me) ergonomics, especially with the heavier glass
Better AF-C, it's night and day difference
Better controls (such as dedicated buttons for AF modes and bracketing)
Better noise handling

The extra resolution is nice but doesn't make that much difference imo.

Why I would choose the EM5-II

It's prettier ;)

@snerkler - great photos of the London marathon, looking at your Flick though it's pretty obvious which are the EM1.2 and which are the D850, the separation of subject from background is something we can't get with the EM1.2, even with the 40-150mm f/2.8 at 150mm and f/2.8, and the whole image seems to have a "creamy sharpness" (if that isn't a contradiction in terms!) with the D850 whereas the EM1.2 has a certain "roughness" by comparison.

For me the differences are too slight to warrant the cost / size / weight of the FF system, but you can't deny the difference is there.

Like the panning shot of the lady in the wheelchair though, there's the motorsport photographer in you coming out!

@GreenNinja67

I would echo what @snerkler says about the EM1.2, I can't comment IQ wise compared to anything other than the only other camera I've ever owned, which was a Nikon D3300, but I bought it for it's feature set, not image quality. Fully weather sealed, superb AF, insane FPS, huge buffer, ergonomics (big enough to handle the bigger lenses but not too big to hang round my neck all day without really noticing), buttons (lots of them and customisable) and I also use the 3 presets a lot.

FWIW I made the decision to buy the EM1.2 around about this time last year, when I went to Cadwell Park to watch my friend race his bike. The camera I had at the time, the Nikon D3300 + "consumer" zoom lens just wasn't up to it, AF was poor, tiny buffer, and I had to put it away when it rained. I've just dug out a photo I took then and applied the processing techniques I've learnt since to it.

Even being considerably more aggressive with the sharpening it's not up to the quality of the EM1.2, and although the Nikon D3300 is an entry level camera I believe the sensor is highly regarded. I suspect my problem then was the glass in front of it. There's no doubt in my mind that the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO is a stunning lens, it beats the pants off all my other lenses, including the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, so as an entirely unscientific test I guess the lens is the critical factor here, rather than the sensor behind it, or the PP "skills" of the photographer (it's nice that you guys think I have "skills", but I really don't!).

Last edited:
Is that a typo or are you genuinely finding a lot of difference? I can't really split it except for the resolution and noise handling.

Sorry it was a typo - I meant to say I don't see much difference between the E-M1II and the E-M5II, so I agree with you and others.

Edited my original comment to fix this.

Nothing wrong with that imo, life's here to enjoy. Having owned both I would choose the EM1-II over the EM5-II without hesitation for the following main reasons.

Better (for me) ergonomics, especially with the heavier glass
Better AF-C, it's night and day difference
Better controls (such as dedicated buttons for AF modes and bracketing)
Better noise handling

The extra resolution is nice but doesn't make that much difference imo.

Why I would choose the EM5-II

It's prettier ;)

So a win for the E-M5ii then!

I'm GASSING big time to get an E-M1ii for motorsport (or a G9, love those things). I was so impressed with that body for tracking action and just general responsiveness and speed, particularly paired with fast teles (had the 40-150 2.8 and the panasonic 200mm 2.8). My problem is that I can't bring myself to get rid of anything else I have to fund it. My D800 is a bit of an unloved tool but it's my go to for landscape and especially astro. I know m4/3 can do this but the files are much harder to work with and fast, wide lenses are far more expensive (or don't exist) than full frame options, generally. My E-M5ii is perfect for travelling light and weatherproof so not sure I'd want to change that. And then there's my X100T which has no particular purpose at all but is my favourite camera to use by some margin.

There is some appeal in standardising to m4/3 with a couple of bodies. Wish the Olympus stuff had USB charging though!

@snerkler - great photos of the London marathon, looking at your Flick though it's pretty obvious which are the EM1.2 and which are the D850, the separation of subject from background is something we can't get with the EM1.2, even with the 40-150mm f/2.8 at 150mm and f/2.8, and the whole image seems to have a "creamy sharpness" (if that isn't a contradiction in terms!) with the D850 whereas the EM1.2 has a certain "roughness" by comparison.

For me the differences are too slight to warrant the cost / size / weight of the FF system, but you can't deny the difference is there.

Like the panning shot of the lady in the wheelchair though, there's the motorsport photographer in you coming out!

@GreenNinja67

I would echo what @snerkler says about the EM1.2, I can't comment IQ wise compared to anything other than the only other camera I've ever owned, which was a Nikon D3300, but I bought it for it's feature set, not image quality. Fully weather sealed, superb AF, insane FPS, huge buffer, ergonomics (big enough to handle the bigger lenses but not too big to hang round my neck all day without really noticing), buttons (lots of them and customisable) and I also use the 3 presets a lot.

FWIW I made the decision to buy the EM1.2 around about this time last year, when I went to Cadwell Park to watch my friend race his bike. The camera I had at the time, the Nikon D3300 + "consumer" zoom lens just wasn't up to it, AF was poor, tiny buffer, and I had to put it away when it rained. I've just dug out a photo I took then and applied the processing techniques I've learnt since to it.

Even being considerably more aggressive with the sharpening it's not up to the quality of the EM1.2, and although the Nikon D3300 is an entry level camera I believe the sensor is highly regarded. I suspect my problem then was the glass in front of it. There's no doubt in my mind that the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO is a stunning lens, it beats the pants off all my other lenses, including the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, so as an entirely unscientific test I guess the lens is the critical factor here, rather than the sensor behind it, or the PP "skills" of the photographer (it's nice that you guys think I have "skills", but I really don't!).
Yep the EM1-II is one hell of a camera, in fact I'd go as far to say it's been my favourite camera to date to use. The 40-150mm f2.8 again is one great lens, the combo really is very good indeed (y)

Snerkler - could you post a link which explains the kind of pre set that you are talking about in LR? I could really use a couple of those for my Canon and Oly files.

Snerkler - could you post a link which explains the kind of pre set that you are talking about in LR? I could really use a couple of those for my Canon and Oly files.
It's just one that I created myself, well I have several tbh for different scenarios although use one for general stuff. I use adobe colour profile as I prefer it to camera natural, use strong contrast tone curve but then with the contrast slider at -10 (sounds a bit counter intuitive I know ;)). Shadows and whites raised a touch, vibrance and saturation raised a touch. I have sharpening etc left at default, and I have shadows in the calibration section at the bottom set to -2, ie slightly to the green. I have tweaked some of the saturation, hues and luminance on the individual colour channels but this is just preference. I have then saved all of this as a user preset and just apply this on import.

Wish the Olympus stuff had USB charging though!

Can any?

Common camera battery voltage (across makes): 7.2V, USB (not USB C, obv) 5V

Not impossible to step up, but the electrickery needed is unlikely to be conducive to speedy charging or battery health, far better off with a mains charger + spare batteries. EXPro ones are a decent price compromise. A couple of batteries is also likely lighter than any charging kit to carry with.

What were you hoping to use as a charging source? A laptop port is limited to 500mA on USB2 on a good day...... that would drop to something like 250mA after stepping up.

I'd be very surprised if USB C powered chargers don't appear over the next year or so, that would connect up to a USB C port which should give 900mA, not sure what the overall advantage might be.

Last edited:

For me the differences are too slight to warrant the cost / size / weight of the FF system, but you can't deny the difference is there
And this is the bit I'm struggling with, ie is it worth the difference? One minute I think yes, the other no ;) One thing that I also have to remind myself of is that these shots may be used on websites, social media, and could also appear on large banners and the like.

Can any?

Common camera battery voltage (across makes): 7.2V, USB (not USB C, obv) 5V

Not impossible to step up, but the electrickery needed is unlikely to be conducive to speedy charging or battery health, far better off with a mains charger + spare batteries. EXPro ones are a decent price compromise. A couple of batteries is also likely lighter than any charging kit to carry with.

What were you hoping to use as a charging source? A laptop port is limited to 500mA on USB2 on a good day...... that would drop to something like 250mA after stepping up.

I'd be very surprised if USB C powered chargers don't appear over the next year or so, that would connect up to a USB C which should give 900mA, not sure what the overall advantage might be.
The Nikon Z's can be charged using USB, but you can't use them whilst they are charging :rolleyes:

Can any?

Common camera battery voltage: 7.2V, USB (not USB C, obv) 5V

What were you hoping to use as a charging source? A laptop port is limited to 500mA on USB2 on a good day......

I'd be very surprised if USB C powered chargers don't appear over the next year or so, that would connect up to a USB C which should give 900mA, not sure what the overall advantage might be.

Most Fujis and Panasonics offer this. Most of the recent full frame mirrorless too and I think the E-M1x?

On my X100T I use it for car charging. Bascially means I can leave camera in glove box and know it's always got juice if needed. There are work arounds of course but all involve more faff and thought.

But the biggest thing for me would be the ability to charge overnight via a powerbank when wild camping. I carry a separate USB charger and cable at present. Not the end of the world but it would be much neater to not have to bother.

Last edited:
Most Fujis and Panasonics offer this. Most of the recent full frame mirrorless too and I think the E-M1x?

On my X100T I use it for car charging. Bascially means I can leave camera in glove box and know it's always got juice if needed. There are work arounds of course but all involve more faff and thought.

But the biggest thing for me would be the ability to charge overnight via a powerbank when wild camping. I carry a separate USB charger and cable at present. Not the end of the world but it would be much neater to not have to bother.

The EM1X is USB-C, the mess that is the USB-C standard is something that may well trip up your view of how it would work, when not plugged into mains. Your portable powerbank may well not work, and you will be likely better off with multiple batteries.

Something like this http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-o...cs1-ezi-power-usb-charger-with-usb-cable.html would answer some of your requirement.

The Nikon Z's can be charged using USB, but you can't use them whilst they are charging :rolleyes:

Another USB-C.

USB-C allows for power negotiation (up to 20V @ 5A, if it is there....), and while it is theoretically backward compatible you won't get a quart out of a pint pot, and your historic understanding of USB charging needs an adapter to these new "standards"

The EM1X is USB-C, the mess that is the USB-C standard is something that may well trip up your view of how it would work, when not plugged into mains. Your portable powerbank may well not work, and you will be likely better off with multiple batteries.

Something like this http://www.exprodirect.com/ex-pro-o...cs1-ezi-power-usb-charger-with-usb-cable.html would answer some of your requirement.

USB 2 would have been fine by me but I suspect by the time Olympus adopt it wholesale (like other manufacturers) they will have missed the boat on that one.

The product you linked is what I use as I mentioned. But it means carrying an extra lump (not too big or heavy actually but one more thing to think about) and also means that the battery needs to come out of the camera which introduces the possibility of forgetting to put it back in or having to manage more than one than one battery. This stuff sounds trivial to a degree but the convenience of USB charging just about anything is now widespread and easy. It surprises me that Olympus have been a bit behind the curve as they normally lead on the mod cons front.

Another USB-C.

USB-C allows for power negotiation (up to 20V @ 5A, if it is there....), and while it is theoretically backward compatible you won't get a quart out of a pint pot, and your historic understanding of USB charging needs an adapter to these new "standards"
TBH I use USB-C for most things now so it's not an issue for me, but I can see how it's a pain if you're mainly using standard USB. I only charge from mains so again not an issue for me, but if you are one that charges from battery packs then again I can see it being a pain. However, I would rather carry extra batteries rather than having to carry a battery pack and wait for the camera battery to charge.

My warning is (knowing only what sits behind USB-C, no experience of real life devices) that "USB Charging" is no longer the simplistic thing you are used to. Knowing the standards, I know that you will not get the performance you will need from USB-2. Weight and convenience wise, running multiple batteries is likely best for up to 3 days off the grid (I speak as a cycle tourer, conscious of every gram). With multiple batteries (each weight 40g - you get quite a few for a battery pack!), you have the added benefit of being able to avoid Fear of Flatness.

TBH I use USB-C for most things now so it's not an issue for me, but I can see how it's a pain if you're mainly using standard USB. I only charge from mains so again not an issue for me, but if you are one that charges from battery packs then again I can see it being a pain. However, I would rather carry extra batteries rather than having to carry a battery pack and wait for the camera battery to charge.

'sactly.

Most people think, USB Charging? I can carry that with me. USB-C (and I'm speaking of it as if it were a single thing - it really isn't! the standards are a real mess) doesn't necessarily work like that.

Also, as I suspected it is only the newer cameras that have been built around USB-C that support in camera charging.

Don't get me started about Garmin and their approach to in device charging.

Last edited:
'sactly.

Most people think, USB Charging? I can carry that with me. USB-C (and I'm speaking of it as if it were a single thing - it really isn't! the standards are a real mess) doesn't necessarily work like that.

Also, as I suspected it is only the newer cameras that have been built around USB-C that support in camera charging.

Don't get me started about Garmin and their approach to in device charging.

Yep, must stress though that when I expressed earlier a desire for USB charging, it was not USB-C I had in mind. I've still not used a USB-C device at all. I know you have doubts about the suitability of USB2/3 but -theory out the window- I've been using exactly that with cameras for years. First with the X100T and then with X-T2. If I was a very heavy user, it would possibly be too slow to be effective but in terms of just keeping it topped up so it's ready to use, it works a treat. I'm very much off grid for 7 nights next month and will need a power bank with me anyway for phone etc and in all honesty I will have spare batteries but I could just do without having to take extra USB chargers as well as all the other crap I need to lug around. Can you imagine if you had to carry extra batteries and a dedicated charger for a phone these days? Us snowflakes would explode!

.... First with the X100T and then with X-T2. ....

Ah yes, they do, even though it is a 7.2V battery. Reassuringly the charging current of about 250mA matches my expected guess.

Ultimately you have to carry with you n mA/hr of power. I've always found that having a single central source is actually counter productive, as you worry whether you will have power for <whatever> so go straight into power conservation mode. Whereas, if you separate sources, you always know how much you have for your phone, GPS, camera, whatever. Weight wise, if you chose carefully there is little if any difference, sometimes even weight saving. For example, if you have a single source, you might go for a mahoosive battery pack, which you won't end up draining so carrying more capacity and weight than you need.

When you say "off the grid", do you really mean without any power source? And, still using a smart phone? If you just want phone/text, consider a dumb nokia for about £30, it will last the week on a single charge*. For seven days without any power source, I'd think about a Powermonkey or the like.

*Of course it would mean ANOTHER charger if you wanted the capability......

I have both. And I find comparing the two I get very 'different' results.
One gives quite good images. While the other is very smeary on a blackboard. On the other hand, in a sandwich, it's the other way round, with cheese giving the better results.
Have we to guess which is which?

Ah yes, they do, even though it is a 7.2V battery. Reassuringly the charging current of about 250mA matches my expected guess.

Ultimately you have to carry with you n mA/hr of power. I've always found that having a single central source is actually counter productive, as you worry whether you will have power for <whatever> so go straight into power conservation mode. Whereas, if you separate sources, you always know how much you have for your phone, GPS, camera, whatever. Weight wise, if you chose carefully there is little if any difference, sometimes even weight saving. For example, if you have a single source, you might go for a mahoosive battery pack, which you won't end up draining so carrying more capacity and weight than you need.

When you say "off the grid", do you really mean without any power source? And, still using a smart phone? If you just want phone/text, consider a dumb nokia for about £30, it will last the week on a single charge*. For seven days without any power source, I'd think about a Powermonkey or the like.

*Of course it would mean ANOTHER charger if you wanted the capability......

Cheers. Much to ponder there, thanks. Though that is just one example of a trip, not something I should base all my purchasing decisions on. I stand by the general point though that integrated USB charging is very useful indeed for me.

Back