Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

All great PoV but the 'smiling' duckling is sublime :)

Thank you. I think that was their first day on the water. There's a lake by Bluewater shopping center we visit regularly. The day before we didn't see them.

Bought myself a 2nd hand Olympus 14-150mm f/4-5.6 zoom lens for every day walkabout stuff, very pleased with how good the images are for such a small and light lens (compared to my f/2.8 PRO's) and how large the zoom range is in practise.

@ 14mm

@ 150mm

Also ordered an EM10 Mk2 today (should arrive end of the week) as a 2nd body for when I'm at a race meet, as swapping the 12-40mm f/2.8 for the 40-150mm f/2.8 can be a pain sometimes, and I only use the 40-150mm f/2.8 for action shots so don't care that the EM10 is not on the same level as the EM1 Mk2 as far as auto-focus is concerned. Ordered it as a kit with the 14-42mm EZ pancake lens so it'll hopefully double as a fairly pocket-able everyday snapshot camera for the missus to use on holidays and days out etc. as well (had to justify the cost to her somehow!!).

Last edited:
M.Zuiko ED 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 $899
iom12200b.jpg

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/m-...f=CJ&cjevent=40cde6517e3011e982e901050a180510

I want me one of them.

Last edited:
Quick one with the EM1X and the 300mm f4 pro, through bedroom window glass

Three in a line

Last edited:
Just back from a lovely trip to Wales in the van.

Free Meal by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Cwmtydu by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Cwmtydu by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Waterfall study by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Three Cliffs Bay by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Need to get back to the Brecon Waterfalls as the missus didn't want me "messing about" for long.

Luckily she's away with the girls next weekend so I hope the weather's good.

The waterfall is fab (y)

Normally I find long exposure doesn't necessarily do waterfalls any favours but this really works.

A little backpacking trip in Scotland last week. Love the E-M5ii and 14-150 combo for this sort of thing. Weather proof and pretty lightweight and being a superzoom, I can just keep it in a belt pouch and have the camera ready for anything I come across without having to faff around taking the bag off and swapping lenses. Really works brilliantly for me. Weather wasn't all that kind but did get this panorama. Need to take another look at the raw files to see if any more detail can be extracted from the brightest part of the sky.

Abhainn Rath by G.A.D, on Flickr

Last edited:
still umming and erring about selling my m43 gear as it just sits in the cupboard nowadays, only seeing the light for business trips a couple of times per year

:thinking:

still umming and erring about selling my m43 gear as it just sits in the cupboard nowadays, only seeing the light for business trips a couple of times per year

:thinking:
Have you got much money tied up in M4/3 gear?

Next to nothing, em10 mk2, 12-32 and 9mm BCL. So £300 or so
I guess it depends if you can put that £300 to good use, or whether it's worth keeping the gear for the odd trip?

Out today walking the dog by the canal near Pocklington. Took the camera with me on the off chance of spotting a little wildlife. Came across this little family of swans, they seem to come her every year.

Swans and Cygnets by Steve Vickers, on Flickr.

Suddenly the male, I'm guessing, took offence to us perhaps getting too close and he sort of growled before very dramatically taking flight down the canal, his wings were huge and he looked an impressive sight. He didn't go very far and he was soon back with his brood having made his point. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared for him, the camera wasn't even on continuous and the shutter was far too slow but I did manage this. Its not one of the best of its type but I like it and it sort of shows the drama of the moment.

Flash of White by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I like it too. His head is in focus and you've got a nice bit of wing blur :)
Thanks, the head isn't as sharp as I'd hoped but it's good enough I think.

Thanks, the head isn't as sharp as I'd hoped but it's good enough I think.
I'm not sure if I should mention it here as it's not really Olympus EM, however I discovered Topaz sharpening can do an amazing job on birds. It doesn't work on all things but here is a file from my Em1ii which I sharpened up. It was destined for the bin. I was amazed at it - not sure if it will show here. The first is focus sharpened and the second SOOC.

181016114901-BC167181-focus.jpg
181016114901-BC167181.jpg

Excellent day out to Waterfall country yesterday in the Brecon Beacons.

Here's a selection:

River Neath Waterfall mono by Terence Rees, on Flickr

River Neath by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Rocks by Terence Rees, on Flickr

Fantastic day out with @flashp and his other half and my dog Rosie hasn't moved a muscle since she got home. I forget she's getting on at 13 bless her.

Can't wait to go back in the autumn, preferably during half term.

These Olympus cameras can really punch above their weight can't they?

Last edited:
Great set, No.1 my favourite by a country mile.

I agree Simon, I’d love a print of that on my wall, really exquisite. Drop me a PM when you have a moment, we can discuss.

Keep the thread alive :)

Stalked this little fella at lunchtime down at a small pond near work. Saw some leaves moving and so I hid as best I could behind a post and just waited. Man was he skittish. Most of the time I just saw his nose and whiskers popping out of the undergrowth then straight back in, but then he made a dart for it at what seemed light speed. Had the EM1 MK II with me with just the 12-100mm F4 Pro (so not an ideal wildlife lens) - Shutter priority 1/500 sec, F4.5 Auto ISO (1250), continuous Low release (silent mode), C-AF with C-AF sensitivity set to +2. To be honest he moved so bloody quickly I just pointed the camera in the general area and hoped for the best. Pretty impressed all things considered, especially when he just suddenly ran from the undergrowth and the camera picked up on him immediately. Out of the 12 shots taken, 2 are OOF (focused on the grass before or after him), 3 are very slightly soft, and the remaining 7 are acceptably sharp. Not the best framing and quite messy, but considering I had probably a second or so to capture him before he was gone, I'm still quite pleased. In hindsight, I think a shutter speed of around 1/1000 sec would have froze him better, but then I'd have quite high ISO levels.

After all that when I viewed the images, I then realised it wasn't a vole (as I had originally thought as I couldn't' see his whole body), but what I think is a "common" brown rat ?

Last edited:
Back