Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Keep the thread alive :)

Stalked this little fella at lunchtime down a small pond near work. Saw some leaves moving and so I hid as best I could behind a post and just waited. Man was he skittish. Most of the time I just saw his nose and whiskers popping out of the undergrowth then straight back in, but then he made a dart for it at what seemed light speed. Had the EM1 MK II with me with just the 12-100mm F4 Pro (so not an ideal wildlife lens) - Shutter priority 1/500 sec, F4.5 Auto ISO (1250), continuous Low release (silent mode), C-AF with C-AF sensitivity set to +2. To be honest he moved so bloody quickly I just pointed the camera in the general area and hoped for the best. Pretty impressed all things considered, especially when he just suddenly ran from the undergrowth and the camera picked up on him immediately. Out of the 12 shots taken, 2 are OOF (focused on the grass before or after him), 3 are very slightly soft, and the remaining 7 are acceptably sharp. Not the best framing and quite messy, but considering I had probably a second or so to capture him before he was gone, I'm still quite pleased. In hindsight, I think a shutter speed of around 1/1000 sec would have froze him better, but then I'd have quite high ISO levels.

After all that when I viewed the images, I then realised it wasn't a vole (as I had originally thought as I couldn't' see his whole body), but what I think is a "common" brown rat ?

You're never more than few feet from one - allegedly

So with Panasonic having released the 10-25mm f1.7 what's the likelihood that Olympus will come out with something similar? Now I know that Olympus can't bring out the same lens as Panasonic and vice versa but a 12-35mm f1.8 would be very interesting indeed, in fact it would be a perfect travel lens. Now I'm a big fan of the 12-40mm f2.8 but on the odd occasion I want to take a portrait on holiday, or want something with shallow DOF it's not ideal, and a 12-35mm f1.8 would be much better (y)

In case anyone is interested, there's an EM1 mkII in classified, with grip for £750! I swear, if I had the money right now I'd buy it myself. Proper bargain.

So with Panasonic having released the 10-25mm f1.7 what's the likelihood that Olympus will come out with something similar? Now I know that Olympus can't bring out the same lens as Panasonic and vice versa but a 12-35mm f1.8 would be very interesting indeed, in fact it would be a perfect travel lens. Now I'm a big fan of the 12-40mm f2.8 but on the odd occasion I want to take a portrait on holiday, or want something with shallow DOF it's not ideal, and a 12-35mm f1.8 would be much better (y)

A 12-35 1.8 would be beautiful, but large and expensive. Your best bet on this is get a good focal reducing adapter and the Sigma 18-35 1.8. You get something like a 12-24 f/1.2

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested, there's an EM1 mkII in classified, with grip for £750! I swear, if I had the money right now I'd buy it myself. Proper bargain.

A 12-35 1.8 would be beautiful, but large and expensive. Your best bet on this is get a good focal reducing adapter and the Sigma 18-35 1.8. You get something like a 12-24 f/1.2
Would a 12-35mm f1.8 be much bigger than a 10-25mm f1.7?

EM1-II with grip for £750 is a bargain, assuming good condition (y)

Would a 12-35mm f1.8 be much bigger than a 10-25mm f1.7?

EM1-II with grip for £750 is a bargain, assuming good condition (y)

The 10-25 is already huge, for M43 at least. But I think so, that extra 10mm on the long end, maintaining the fast aperture? but then again, WA zooms are often larger than mid range, maybe the size does come more from the wider end? I have no idea tbh just trying to imagine in my tiny f/43 brain :D

Last edited:
Anyone else using the Samyang f2 12mm? Just got one via ebay for £125 and out of the box looks very impressive!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it Paul and see how it performs.

Cheers,

Simon.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it Paul and see how it performs.

Cheers,

Simon.

Ive taken a few indoor test shots and it seems lovely so far, but the weathers been so rubbish Ive not been out with it yet :-/

Help/Advice needed.
I used to shoot occasional wildlife with Nikon D500 and Sigma 150-600 C.
Looking for something lighter.
It’ll only be in good light.
Some birds in flight, Buzzards, Kites, Kestrel.
Budget £1500 ish. Happy to consider used.
Over to you.

Hopefully things have changed since I had the em1 as it wasn’t any good for this really. Mk2 better but not as good as the d500

There are times I miss my m43 gear ( I still have the em10 mk2 but it’s hardly ever used ) but I find the Nikon much better for fast and consistent AF

Help/Advice needed.
I used to shoot occasional wildlife with Nikon D500 and Sigma 150-600 C.
Looking for something lighter.
It’ll only be in good light.
Some birds in flight, Buzzards, Kites, Kestrel.
Budget £1500 ish. Happy to consider used.
Over to you.
I went from the D850 and Tamron 150-600mm to the EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm and couldn't be happier. AF is better imo (the combo, I"m not saying the EM1-II is as good as the D850 ;)) and I even think IQ is a smidge better, and I rated the Tamron highly. Also instead of carrying 3kg around I'm only carrying 1.56kg, that makes a huge difference. Whether you can get this combo in budget I'm not sure, I think grey you'd be looking about £1800.

Some examples

Varadero
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2271819-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2230300-Edit2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2231008-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Hopefully things have changed since I had the em1 as it wasn’t any good for this really. Mk2 better but not as good as the d500

There are times I miss my m43 gear ( I still have the em10 mk2 but it’s hardly ever used ) but I find the Nikon much better for fast and consistent AF
I agree, not much tops the D500. That being said I've not found the EM1-II lacking in any area from BIF to motorsports to runners etc, it's been right on the money every time for me (y)

Seems some new firmware for the EM1-II is on the way. Would be nice if you could use image review whilst the buffer is clearing, and also add exp comp on manual shooting when using auto ISO. Other than that I'm not sure what else I'd want.

https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-e-m1-ii-firmware-to-be-released-within-two-weeks/
I already use exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual. I set it on the lever. Once lever is in position 2, I can use either front or rear dial - set it - and then switch lever back.

Here are some from this morning Em1ii and 300mm. I also used my Canon with 100-400 on a monopod. The Olympus set up is so much easier.
190613112305-BC131778.jpg190613112250-BC131760.jpg190613112735-BC131794.jpg

I already use exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual. I set it on the lever. Once lever is in position 2, I can use either front or rear dial - set it - and then switch lever back.
Thanks for this, I wasn't aware of that option (y)

I've sold my Sony A9 and am selling my lenses. Reach just isn't there on the Sony, as good as it is. So talk to me about the E-M1 ii and the Panasonic 100-400. 200-800 equivalent? How good is the E-M1? Hows the AF speed, tracking, buffer (how quickly does it empty), FPS etc.. :)

Lots of questions but please help :)

Oh is there also a decent macro lens for M4/3?

looking here too. Pana G9 or EM-1 with 100-400. Obviously the new Sony 200-600 muddies the waters a bit, but on an original A7 whatever FF reach and ISO detail advantage I could get would be outweighed by the slower AF. A9 or A7RIII upgrades blow the budget. Plus, the 200-600 is ostentatiously large and outside of RSPB hides, I'd feel self conscious. Liking the idea of a return to discreet reach and a walk around prime.
Specifically wondering whether an original EM1 would be a better pairing than, say, a G90.. allows me a little more leeway with glass while the used bodies trickle onto the market.

Last edited:
@andythilo you’ll see some pics above taken with the EM1ii this morning . AF speed is great. I tend to use on low FPS, as high or pro capture gives me too many images. Buffer can take a bit of a time to clear, to preview shots, but I personally never have a problem with what I shoot with it filling to the point of being unable to take a photo.

@danbroad I never had the EM1 or G90, but I believe the EM1ii is a big step up from the EM1

Last edited:
I went from the D850 and Tamron 150-600mm to the EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm and couldn't be happier. AF is better imo (the combo, I"m not saying the EM1-II is as good as the D850 ;)) and I even think IQ is a smidge better, and I rated the Tamron highly. Also instead of carrying 3kg around I'm only carrying 1.56kg, that makes a huge difference. Whether you can get this combo in budget I'm not sure, I think grey you'd be looking about £1800.

Some examples

Varadero
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2271819-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2230300-Edit2
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P2231008-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

@danbroad

@trevorbray yes, those shots are to be proud of. Also loving the 45mm shots from @Skyline ... I'd be proud to call any of those my own. Basically, like you, I'm after MFT for the long end [and, frankly, the wide end too seems more inexpensively served than my Sony - thinking 7-14/4 or 8-18/2.8-4 rather than 16-35G or 12-24G..]. Budget is approximately the same as the new Sony 200-600 costs, so £1800 or thereabouts, less the sale price of the A7/28-70 and Samyang 35. Working on £1200 lens, that might mean the same again for a body, which puts the G9 and EM1.2 out of budget unless used. Saving a little on the body, going maybe a generation prior, frees up enough for a sweet little prime like that 45. Hmmmm, plenty to think about haha

I've sold my Sony A9 and am selling my lenses. Reach just isn't there on the Sony, as good as it is. So talk to me about the E-M1 ii and the Panasonic 100-400. 200-800 equivalent? How good is the E-M1? Hows the AF speed, tracking, buffer (how quickly does it empty), FPS etc.. :)

Lots of questions but please help :)

Oh is there also a decent macro lens for M4/3?
looking here too. Pana G9 or EM-1 with 100-400. Obviously the new Sony 200-600 muddies the waters a bit, but on an original A7 whatever FF reach and ISO detail advantage I could get would be outweighed by the slower AF. A9 or A7RIII upgrades blow the budget. Plus, the 200-600 is ostentatiously large and outside of RSPB hides, I'd feel self conscious. Liking the idea of a return to discreet reach and a walk around prime.
Specifically wondering whether an original EM1 would be a better pairing than, say, a G90.. allows me a little more leeway with glass while the used bodies trickle onto the market.
As mentioned several posts back I made the switch from the D850 and Tamron 150-600mm to the EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm, the post of which Trevor has quoted above. There's no way I'm going to sit here and say that the AF is as good as the A9, but I am yet to find a scenario where it has left me wanting and in fact the combo has proved better than the Nikon/Tamron combo.

Again, there's no doubt that the Sony A7's or A9 paired with the 200-600mm will give you better IQ, but at 'normal' viewing sizes I'm finding the images from the EM1-II and 100-400mm top notch, and again every bit as good as the D850 and 150-600mm combo (yes I did just say that ;)) Obviously as ISO creeps up you will see more deterioration in the files of M4/3 compared to FF, but tbh I shot some birds at ISO 6400 and it still showed decent feather detail, although I did have to use NR in post (I rarely use NR, I'm not a fan generally)

In regards to the buffer clearing, this is the biggest gripe I have with the EM1-II. Don't get me wrong, you can take plenty of shots and I haven't actually hit the buffer limit shooting RAW with RAW backup to card 2 at 15fps. The gripe is that you can't review images whilst the buffer is clearing which can get a bit frustrating.

@danbroad the EM1 isn't great for C-AF, in fact that's being rather kind, it's downright frustrating as hell when you've been used to cameras like the D750 and D850. The EM1-II is in a different league to the EM1 in terms of C-AF, there's just no comparison.

If you're shooting mainly birds and going to be at the long end of the zoom a lot then I'd be looking at the 300mm f4, which gives 600mm effective reach. In terms of IQ it's one of the best lenses I've used. AF is also excellent, and it's built like a tank. Whilst talking about build, the build of the Olympus pro gear is top notch, I'd not be worried taking it out in a monsoon ;)

Back