Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Lovely. Is that a real background or have you photoshopped it?

Real background. In The Range (and other places) they sell A4 holographic card for a pound or two. You get a few cards for that price.

631231_1001_1_800.jpg

It can make an interesting background,

Real background. In The Range (and other places) they sell A4 holographic card for a pound or two. You get a few cards for that price.

631231_1001_1_800.jpg

Have you ever checked out this guy? He uses backgrounds like you for his macro, he does some good stuff - I've been meaning to make some backgrounds myself to play with for macro

631231_1001_1_800.jpg

Cool, I’ll have to get my Lego Star Wars figures out :LOL:

Cool, I’ll have to get my Lego Star Wars figures out :LOL:

They are perfect for some fun shots :) I used to swipe little figures and cars etc from my daughter to mess about with but she's 11 now and the toy selection is wearing thin :/

Most recent one I did in this theme was using a NYC Taxi ornament/toy - I used some car boot liner for the 'road and just darkened the sheet out of the backdrop
P1010211 - Copy by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hopefully my M1 mk2 will arrive soon.
Any tips on setting it up for back button focus ?
FWIW, I have set the lens function button as my BBF button. NB I am talking about the Pro lenses ;) I don't think the non Pro series lenses and all Pro ones have the L-fn button!

Last edited:
FWIW, I have set the lens function button as my BBF button. NB I am talking about the Pro lenses ;) I don't think the non Pro series lenses and all Pro ones have the L-fn button!

Thanks. Gonna be using it with the Pana-Leica 100-400

Thanks. Gonna be using it with the Pana-Leica 100-400

I haven't been following this thread since I sold my E-M1 so sorry if this has already been mentioned.
A few people have been having problems with this combination, got to do with the lens mount being overly tight when mating with the camera.
Probably just one batch of faulty lenses, but from what I have heard it shaves off the finish from the camera mount.
I overheard someone at the photo show talking about it on the Olympus stand, think they were getting their camera cleaned after it happened
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but better safe than sorry and go easy first time you fix the lens on

Last edited:
Hopefully my M1 mk2 will arrive soon.
Any tips on setting it up for back button focus ?

if it's the same menu system as the mk 1 then

Menu Button > Custom Menu A1 > AEL/AFL > S-AF > Mode 3
Menu Button > Custom Menu B > Button Functions > Select a button and set it to AEL/AFL option

sets the single auto focus mode to use the AEL/AFL as the back focus button

Last edited:
I haven't been following this thread since I sold my E-M1 so sorry if this has already been mentioned.
A few people have been having problems with this combination, got to do with the lens mount being overly tight when mating with the camera.
Probably just one batch of faulty lenses, but from what I have heard it shaves off the finish from the camera mount.
I overheard someone at the photo show talking about it on the Olympus stand, think they were getting their camera cleaned after it happened
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but better safe than sorry and go easy first time you fix the lens on
Yep already been discussed, but thanks anyway (y)

if it's the same menu system as the mk 1 then

Menu Button > Custom Menu A1 > AEL/AFL > S-AF > Mode 3
Menu Button > Custom Menu B > Button Functions > Select a button and set it to AEL/AFL option

sets the single auto focus mode to use the AEL/AFL as the back focus button

Thanks very much. I’ll want to use BBF with AF-C

Not sure when the new firmware will be available though as it's not there in the download link?

Not sure when the new firmware will be available though as it's not there in the download link?
Apparently it's available via the Olympus Workspace app.

I see someone complaining the MK11 will not get AI, that sounds good to me, they can't even get predictive texting to work perfectly after all these years. :rolleyes:

I see someone complaining the MK11 will not get AI, that sounds good to me, they can't even get predictive texting to work perfectly after all these years. :rolleyes:
AI on a camera???????

Great that the rumour was true :)

Full press release is here https://m.dpreview.com/news/5297486...ures-from-olympus-s-e-m1x-to-the-e-m1-mark-ii

Many AF features from the 1X which I hope will be a boost for C-AF users like me though the one feature I was hoping to see was custom AF ...........but c'est la vie .

I surmise they can only squeeze so much into a single processor system compared to what a dual processor one already has :)

Now, to get some "real-world" usage reviews of what by degrees is a 'new' version of the E-M1mk2 perhaps we should be calling it the 2a or 2.3 to distinguish it ;)

Can't please everyone :LOL:

But the more modest update to the 1X makes me think "where are the detractors" that were waiting for more AI AF models???

That’s quite an update!

This thread has added comments re firmware update for 40-150mm Pro to make compatible with new x2TC (on that forum Petr Bambousek posted re his pre release test of the 300mm & x2TC and his upcoming test with the 40-150mm)

Also mention on page 3 a link to the updated user manual (an addendum?)

All looking oh so encouraging :)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4402957

An off the wall thought but, is it possible they have done this because they are giving the new 5mk111 PDAF, this update may be to keep the 1mk11 enough ahead in spec to warrant the higher price.

An off the wall thought but, is it possible they have done this because they are giving the new 5mk111 PDAF, this update may be to keep the 1mk11 enough ahead in spec to warrant the higher price.
Possibly, but until they release the details it's all speculation ;)

Has anyone tried, or read any real world reviews of the 2x TC for Olly? Making the 40-150mm f2.8 into an 80-300mm f5.6 sounds quite appealing, but not if IQ is crippled. TBH I've not used a 2x TC to date that I've been happy with.

Right folks, on page 196 of the new manual it says about EC in manual mode ~ yes! No more having to switch the mode function switch and get in a muddle as to which control wheel is doing what???

Exposure compensation in the manual mode
Exposure compensation adjustment using the exposure (F) button has been enabled
in the manual mode.
To adjust the exposure compensation using the exposure (F) button, you must fi rst
assign [F] to a button using Button Function (P.66).
To adjust the exposure compensation with the button, select [ALL] for [ISO-Auto]
(P.117) and [AUTO] for [ISO] (P.42, 51).
Use the front dial (r) or rear dial (o) while holding down the button to select a
compensation value.

So go on you early adopters, check it out :)

Does anyone know what the low ISO processing (Detail Priority) actually is? Is it a combined image shooting mode like hi-res and therefore can only be used on a tripod and static subjects, otherwise I'm not sure how you can improve detail in an image purely by software?

Also, I like that they've reduced high ISO noise, I hope this is not just by adding NR though.

Right folks, on page 196 of the new manual it says about EC in manual mode ~ yes! No more having to switch the mode function switch and get in a muddle as to which control wheel is doing what???

Exposure compensation in the manual mode
Exposure compensation adjustment using the exposure (F) button has been enabled
in the manual mode.
To adjust the exposure compensation using the exposure (F) button, you must fi rst
assign [F] to a button using Button Function (P.66).
To adjust the exposure compensation with the button, select [ALL] for [ISO-Auto]
(P.117) and [AUTO] for [ISO] (P.42, 51).
Use the front dial (r) or rear dial (o) while holding down the button to select a
compensation value.

So go on you early adopters, check it out :)
Cool, thanks (y)

Has anyone tried, or read any real world reviews of the 2x TC for Olly? Making the 40-150mm f2.8 into an 80-300mm f5.6 sounds quite appealing, but not if IQ is crippled. TBH I've not used a 2x TC to date that I've been happy with.

Here is one starting point and he will be testing (soon?) with the 40-150

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4402987

Back