Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've never heard of him tbh, take it he's pretty good then? (y)
Just checked his website out, pretty impressive stuff to say the least :eek:

Yeah impressive. TBH I couldn't give a Monkey's why people switch, and it baffles me why they have to tell the world ;)

It's on his own web site, it's a blog basically, only people who like his stuff are going to read it ... I don't care either, I posted it a while back when on an M43 defensive run :p

Also, something new to learn what works best when using group targets (5, 9 or 25 points) depending on subject & situation is:-

C-AF Center Start vs Center Priority ??? NB Center Priority reminds me of the function of 'helper' AF points on the Canon models (centre with 4 surrounding points)

Oh, and what about Cluster AF Targeting with "All AF" used.

Last edited:
All looking good, Olympus seem to be on the ball with this firmware as it's quite a nice upgrade Hopefully the 2x will work very well too.
Rob.

This is what Olympus list as the changes made by v3 and of note is the improvement section i.e. Enhanced AF performance :)

PS I could not care less for the Art Filters.................could that eProm space & processing power be better used by leaving those out? Likewise The Oly WS using the cameras own image processing engine! But heh they need to be offering a feature & usage set to cover a wide range of user demands ;)

Following features have been added to the current function:
  • C-AF+MF to AF system
  • 5×5 to AF Target Mode
  • C-AF Center Start mode and C-AF Center Priority mode
  • Drive Priority and Detail Priority to Low ISO Processing when shooting still images
  • L100 to ISO sensitivity setting
  • "OM-Log400" to video picture mode
  • Instant Film to Art Filter
  • Frame Rate Priority to Live View Boost 2
  • Now possible to select the number of shot between 3 and 15 when shooting with Focus Stacking.
Following improvements have been made:
  • Enhanced performance of AF.
  • Improved quality of still images.
  • Now possible to play back images and change settings while writing to a card.
  • Added Selecting Multiple Pictures function.
Following new functions have been added:
  • Anti-Flicker Shooting function
  • Now possible to develop RAW data at high speeds in Olympus Workspace by using the camera's image processing engine.

Has anybody upgraded their firmware yet for the OMD Em1 Mk2?
Yes, all seems good to me. Still not sure what the low ISO processing (detail priority) is yet though, I need to look through the menus.

So I've just discovered that with the new update you can now use the EVF when the screen is flipped out. It's rare that I needed this, but was a pain when I did. With this and the ability to use menus/review images whilst the card is being written to the EM1-II is pretty much perfect imo. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I would want extra, other than maybe hand held hi res, but tbh I highly doubt I'd use that much (and of course FF with the same form factor :LOL:)

I can't see what they could implement with a Mark III?

So I've just discovered that with the new update you can now use the EVF when the screen is flipped out. It's rare that I needed this, but was a pain when I did......

I found that a pain too, even with the screen flipped out there'd be times I'd want to view the EVF, such as in bright sunlight, or I'd not got my reading glasses on.

So I've just discovered that with the new update you can now use the EVF when the screen is flipped out. It's rare that I needed this, but was a pain when I did. With this and the ability to use menus/review images whilst the card is being written to the EM1-II is pretty much perfect imo. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that I would want extra, other than maybe hand held hi res, but tbh I highly doubt I'd use that much (and of course FF with the same form factor :LOL:)

I've just updated mine and yes I agree. The only thing that would be really nice would be a favourites menu. I haven't had a play yet, but using the EVF when screen is flipped out will be great and being able to review images whilst it's writing to buffer will be very welcome. I can't imagine how the focusing can be improved, but if they tell me it can, I will believe them.

I've just updated mine and yes I agree. The only thing that would be really nice would be a favourites menu. I haven't had a play yet, but using the EVF when screen is flipped out will be great and being able to review images whilst it's writing to buffer will be very welcome. I can't imagine how the focusing can be improved, but if they tell me it can, I will believe them.
My menu would be nice yeah, but tbh what with the customisable buttons and SCP I rarely use the menus. With regards to the AF they tell me that the EM1x is/was better than the EM1-II but when I tried them side by side at Thruxton I couldn't tell. Maybe with BIF and/or if you use AF-tracking you might see a difference, but I never use tracking modes on any camera, just single point AF-C (y)

I had a quick look but couldn't see how to upgrade the lenses.
Put the lens software on a card, insert in camera and it should update.
Make sure the lens is on the camera :)
Mount the lens on the camera coonect the camera to the computer run the update software it will identify the new firmware and offer an option to update it on the camera and lens.
Simple as that

Last edited:
I had a quick look but couldn't see how to upgrade the lenses.
As Alf says have the lens on the camera, connect to computer using usb cable and run Olympus Updater software, if there’s an update it will show in the list and it then gives step by step instructions and what to do. Make sure the battery is full, or close to it.

Updated with Workspace, checked all my lenses as well as the 300 and 40-150. Found my 45 1.2 was due an update too. All seems to be good. Nice one Olympus.

First M43
Currently Z6, 14-30, 24-70 bothf4, 35 and 50 z lenses
X100 LE (the original)
Leica Q-P
TBH I think I can honestly say that in terms of using a camera the EM1-II is my favourite/best I've used, it's a wonderful bit of kit.

Was going to update the firmware today but it seems I don't have a usb cable. Is it just a normal one?

Edit : it appears not to be can't get a micro usb to fit

Last edited:
Was going to update the firmware today but it seems I don't have a usb cable. Is it just a normal one?

Edit : it appears not to be can't get a micro usb to fit
It's USB-C, you should have got one with your camera. TBH it's no good to me as it's USB-C to USB and my computer is also USB-C so I have to use a USB-C to USB-C cable.

It's USB-C, you should have got one with your camera. TBH it's no good to me as it's USB-C to USB and my computer is also USB-C so I have to use a USB-C to USB-C cable.
I bought it 2nd hand so guessing there wasn't one in the box.

I think connecting the camera to your computer seems to be an Olympus thing, with fuji, you just downloaded the file to your card and updated from that. All done now anyway, the USB lead for my S8 is a USB-C so sorted.

I think connecting the camera to your computer seems to be an Olympus thing, with fuji, you just downloaded the file to your card and updated from that. All done now anyway, the USB lead for my S8 is a USB-C so sorted.
Yeah Nikon do it via memory card too.

Glad you’re sorted (y)

Good to hear that Toby
Just taken delivery of Pana-Leica 100-400 to pair it with.

Will be interested to know if all the updates are compatible with the 100-400, i know they should be but pro-capture low isnt so hoping they are.

Will be interested to know if all the updates are compatible with the 100-400, i know they should be but pro-capture low isnt so hoping they are.

It’ll all be Greek to me at first.
What’s pro-capture ?

Yes. Lots but not all makers do it via the card. Which is so much better as it would let me upgrade my own camera! Olympus told me to find someone with a Windows computer or take it back to the shop. That's how incredibly stupid the Olympus firmware upgrade is.

It’ll all be Greek to me at first.
What’s pro-capture ?
it records photos in a loop and deletes the last 2 so you can capture say a bird as it takes off or a breaking glass just as it breaks or a drop of water as it peaks.
you don't have to be quick as the camera does it for you :)

Yes. Lots but not all makers do it via the card. Which is so much better as it would let me upgrade my own camera! Olympus told me to find someone with a Windows computer or take it back to the shop. That's how incredibly stupid the Olympus firmware upgrade is.
Why do you need windows?

Back