Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Why do you need windows?
That's what olympus customer service told me. I guess the installer only runs on Windows and mac. And macs are hugely expensive just to upgrade a camera once a year. And I don't know anyone with one. And all totally unnecessary if they'd done what the other makers do.

Last edited:
Updated my EM1.2 last night, and had the 40-150mm f/2.8 connected, which it offered to update as well. The release notes for the lens firmware update only lists 1 item ... "added compatibility for the new TC2.0", so I suspect if you're interested in the new TC (which I definitely am!) you'll need to update your lens to use it.

I see the TC2.0 is now available to pre-order on Wex (@ £399.00) ... wonder when it'll actually land?

That's what olympus customer service told me. I guess the installer only runs on Windows and mac. And macs are hugely expensive just to upgrade a camera once a year. And I don't know anyone with one. And all totally unnecessary if they'd done what the other makers do.
Ahh that was what I was going to say, I update mine through Mac, it's just from your previous post stipulating Windows only it sounded like Olympus told you you need windows, when in fact you can do it through either.

So by the sounds of it you have neither, if that's the case then how would you update it even if they went the memory card route like everyone else? You still need a computer to download the firmware onto an SD card?

Updated my EM1.2 last night, and had the 40-150mm f/2.8 connected, which it offered to update as well. The release notes for the lens firmware update only lists 1 item ... "added compatibility for the new TC2.0", so I suspect if you're interested in the new TC (which I definitely am!) you'll need to update your lens to use it.

I see the TC2.0 is now available to pre-order on Wex (@ £399.00) ... wonder when it'll actually land?
Have you seen the TC2 review on DP by Petr? Looks promising.

Have you seen the TC2 review on DP by Petr? Looks promising.

Just read it, I saw he'd posted one the other day about the TC2.0 as used with the 300mm f/4, but I don't have one of those and can't imagine ever being able to justify buying one.

There's no way I'm not grabbing myself a TC2.0 when it becomes available!

Ahh that was what I was going to say, I update mine through Mac, it's just from your previous post stipulating Windows only it sounded like Olympus told you you need windows, when in fact you can do it through either.

So by the sounds of it you have neither, if that's the case then how would you update it even if they went the memory card route like everyone else? You still need a computer to download the firmware onto an SD card?
I'd use a computer or mobile device as normal. They have, as you might imagine, internet access, USB ports and card readers etc.
It's just not a good idea to limit photography equipment, or any equipment, to some brand of computer or operating system.

Last edited:
I'd use a computer or mobile device as normal. They have, as you might imagine, internet access, USB ports and card readers etc.
It's just not a good idea to limit photography equipment, or any equipment, to some brand of computer or operating system.
Sorry I'm being a bit thick here but I'm not getting how it's limited? You can either use windows or Mac which I would imagine covers 99%+ of all computer users wouldn't it?

Sorry I'm being a bit thick here but I'm not getting how it's limited? You can either use windows or Mac which I would imagine covers 99%+ of all computer users wouldn't it?
Companies like Olympus have forced people to use Windows and Mac only. They are part of the cause of their own problem. They might even decide that as 90%+ of users are on Windows they'll drop Mac too. You see how that's not good for anyone?
It's limited because other Camera makers don't have that limitation.

Last edited:
Companies like Olympus have forced people to use Windows and Mac only. They are part of the cause of their own problem. They might even decide that as 90%+ of users are on Windows they'll drop Mac too. You see how that's not good for anyone?
It's limited because other Camera makers don't have that limitation.
TBH I didn't realise other manufacturers supported other operating systems. I don't know how difficult it is to make software compatible with Linux etc but I'm not sure I can fault a company for not considering maybe 0.1% of their market. Obviously it doesn't affect me though and I may feel differently if it did (y)

TBH I didn't realise other manufacturers supported other operating systems. I don't know how difficult it is to make software compatible with Linux etc but I'm not sure I can fault a company for not considering maybe 0.1% of their market. Obviously it doesn't affect me though and I may feel differently if it did (y)
They don't need to make upgrade software for any operating system if you upgrade via the card.
And lack of choice really does affect you. If people can't choose something else, your os has no reason to improve, or offer you something you particularly want. Things just get more dumbed down. To appeal to the casual users. "nobody needs high end photo software. Everybody uses Instagram!"

They don't need to make upgrade software for any operating system if you upgrade via the card.
[/QUOTE]Ahh I'm with you now. Is it possible that the Olly cameras don't have the processing power for firmware and need the computer to do some of the work? Just a pure guess?

TBH, they need to update it for OS too as I get a warning now I've updated to OS Majave that the Olympus Update software needs updating otherwise it will not be compatible with future OS.

Ahh I'm with you now. Is it possible that the Olly cameras don't have the processing power for firmware and need the computer to do some of the work? Just a pure guess?

TBH, they need to update it for OS too as I get a warning now I've updated to OS Majave that the Olympus Update software needs updating otherwise it will not be compatible with future OS.[/QUOTE]Right. But think about the power needed in recent em1s that get up to 60fps.
And other cameras have been doing card upgrades for at least a decade or more. So Olympus are just being lazy.

Right. But think about the power needed in recent em1s that get up to 60fps.
And other cameras have been doing card upgrades for at least a decade or more. So Olympus are just being lazy.
TBH I don't profess to understand how firmware works and what's needed so have no idea on the reason why. These companies do seem a bit backwards at times though ;)

Is this any good
And lack of choice really does affect you. If people can't choose something else, your os has no reason to improve, or offer you something you particularly want. Things just get more dumbed down. To appeal to the casual users. "nobody needs high end photo software. Everybody uses Instagram!"
A quick search of Google does bring up a way of upgrading firmware via an sd card. Not sure how safe it is tho so approach with care

Last edited:
Gotta say I’m impressed by the amount of customisation available.
M1 mk2
All good so far. Fair bit lighter than my last wildlife set up.
Build quality of camera and Pana-Leica 100-400 is very good.
Was a bit nervous when first attaching the lens. But fitted ok, nothing shearing off.
Now to find a target.

E-M1II + 40-150 f/2.8 today, both with the new firmware.

Difficult to be sure, but I think CAF performance has improved with the new firmware. I shot 167 frames and almost all of them are in focus. Plenty of light today, which also helps with CAF performance of course:

20190622_093310_097 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

Its pretty bobbins. CS6 is far better.
Agree it's not a replacement for that kind of tool. However I can see as a RAW processor it has potential. I currently use on1 Photo RAW 2019 for the bulk of my processing but like the results from Olympus Workspace. It's still clunky but I'm curious to learn more about it.

I don’t have the patience for it, too slow ;)

I don’t have the patience for it, too slow ;)
That's my grumble with it currently, it wouldn't bug me as much if it showed you when it was processing the image as it's hard to tell when it's applied a change to what's on screen. Hopefully it's better with the camera plugged in.

Playing with 6k pre-burst and the 100-400, my main complaint is the focusing slows right down, just like someone pulling a video focus for artistic reasons.

View attachment 248209
What's 6k pre-burst, is that a video feature?

It's a video feature that let's you capture images from the video footage.
Its the poor mans version of Olympus pro-capture, it only does it in 6K though.
Cool, what MP are the stills you can extract? I assume it’s jpeg only?

Mike what’s wrong with 6k, I’ve only just got around to getting a 4K TV let alone anything bigger :eek:

Cool, what MP are the stills you can extract? I assume it’s jpeg only?

Mike what’s wrong with 6k, I’ve only just got around to getting a 4K TV let alone anything bigger :eek:

16MP, The only thing wrong is i like raw

Taken with a Olympus EM10 MK2 and the 30mm macro lens.

We have a 2 of these bushes in our garden I planted a few years ago. They was hand size when I planted them. Now they are 3ft wide nearly the same high. Every year the little white flowers come out and they are a magnet for the hoverflies. There's loads of them, all about 10mm in size.

full

full

Taken with the Oly EM10 Mk2 I picked up a couple of weeks ago, can't fault it, although with the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO it's a bit front / lens heavy ...

My step-son (left) and friends before the racing started last week at Eastbourne.

And some messing about with colours and shade in Photoshop ...

Taken with the Oly EM10 Mk2 I picked up a couple of weeks ago, can't fault it, although with the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO it's a bit front / lens heavy ...

My step-son (left) and friends before the racing started last week at Eastbourne.

And some messing about with colours and shade in Photoshop ...

Great. You’ve posed the drivers well.

Back