Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Checked the firmware on my m5ii and it is 2.2 with the latest being 4.1 so I assume I should do it, not sure what I'll gain if anything?
When I do upgrade, can I go strait to 4.1 or do I need to do each firmware in turn?

It will go straight to the latest version, no need for incremental updates.
Olympus will show on their page what each update gives, sync IS will definitely be one feature
(know that because my daughter just looked into it for a new lens she bought)

It will go straight to the latest version, no need for incremental updates.
Olympus will show on their page what each update gives, sync IS will definitely be one feature
(know that because my daughter just looked into it for a new lens she bought)
Doesn't look like sync IS is there and on what it says firmware 4.1 gives I can't see that I'll get any benefits. Would it still be advisable to update?
I don't want an expensive paperweight if it all goes wrong.

Doesn't look like sync IS is there and on what it says firmware 4.1 gives I can't see that I'll get any benefits. Would it still be advisable to update?

Think it was on v3.0 or thereabouts for the 12-100 at least, you need to look back at them all to see exactly what you get.
Expect there will be some good stuff in there if the updates to my E-M1 are anything to go by
The latest one will just show what that brings, not all the rest, but it will be a one hit update

Up to you, but its not a new release so any problems will have been found by now
Just looked and AF target/ spot meter are combined and focus stacking amongst others so looks like there will be good things

Last edited:
Checked the firmware on my m5ii and it is 2.2 with the latest being 4.1 so I assume I should do it, not sure what I'll gain if anything?
When I do upgrade, can I go strait to 4.1 or do I need to do each firmware in turn?

This link shows you what happened in each update
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/e_m5_mark_ii_downloads.html

Looks worth it to me for focus stacking at least
Expect this time your custom settings might be reset as backup was added in v3
Follow the guidance about having the camera fully charged and follow the instructions carefully and you should be fine.
My latest E-M10ii update took a lot longer than I expected which was a little worrying but it worked out fine.

02/28/2018
Firmware update Version 4.0

New art filter [Bleach Bypass] has been added.

Focus Stacking has been added. ("M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4 IS PRO" is also compatible.)

Corrected issue of autofocus (AF) function not operating correctly when using the "LEICA DG ELMARIT 200mm F2.8 / POWER O.I.S. (H-ES200)" interchangeable lens produced by Panasonic.

05/08/2017
Firmware update Version 3.0

Flash controllers manufactured by Profoto are supported.

Backup of camera settings is possible.

Compensation for mid-range gradation when using Highlight & Shadow Control is possible.

Position of AF target and range of spot metering can be linked.

12/01/2016
Firmware update Version 2.3

Macro Flash STF-8 is supported.

Electronic Flash FL-900R is supported.

Improved stability of exposure when shooting videos.

02/04/2016
Firmware update Version 2.2

The stability of the image stabilizer’s operations has been improved.

I don't hesitate with the Olympus updates. There's always an advantage. Just make sure you have a full battery. As mentioned, you might lose your custom set up of the camera.
I do it via cable and the Olympus Updater program.

Ah that's worked. I thought you downloaded the firmware and then used the updater to install it, like I've done on other items. Didn't realise it was the updater that downloaded the firmware too. All done now Thanks. None of my lenses support the focus stacking though[emoji36]
Being a typical man I didn't read the instructions.

Last edited:
Ah that's worked. I thought you downloaded the firmware and then used the updater to install it, like I've done on other items. Didn't realise it was the updater that downloaded the firmware too. All done now Thanks. None of my lenses support the focus stacking though[emoji36]
Being a typical man I didn't read the instructions.

I think its only the 60mm Macro and Pro lenses that focus stacking works with.

A few days walking in The Lake District reminded me why I like my m43 stuff so much. No back ache or other hassles lugging it around. The Nikon stuff never left the boot of the car the whole time we were there.
Sadly, the LD weather didn’t play ball, either wall to wall greyness or clear blue skies and nothing in between. Did grab this one that I quite like though. A foggy start to the day over Derwent Water....

Abandoned
by Jason, on Flickr

Bought the lumix 100-300mm lens and couldn't work out why I was getting inconsistent results till I read that the lens O.I.S has to be turned off.
DOH!
Makes no difference with mine, maybe a menu priority setting?

Makes no difference with mine, maybe a menu priority setting?
I've done the firmware update now which in turn means all settings are reset so I'll have another go tomorrow.
Apparently if both the lens and IBIS are switched on they can conflict with each other, exactly what I was experiencing. Slow shutter speeds were sometimes resulting in perfect shots while on the other hand some faster shutter speeds, which should have been fine, showed lots of camera movement. Switching the the lens stabiliser off, gave by far, what I would have expected.

Bought the lumix 100-300mm lens and couldn't work out why I was getting inconsistent results till I read that the lens O.I.S has to be turned off.
DOH!
I’m pretty sure I didn’t have to on mine tbh.

I've done the firmware update now which in turn means all settings are reset so I'll have another go tomorrow.
Apparently if both the lens and IBIS are switched on they can conflict with each other, exactly what I was experiencing. Slow shutter speeds were sometimes resulting in perfect shots while on the other hand some faster shutter speeds, which should have been fine, showed lots of camera movement. Switching the the lens stabiliser off, gave by far, what I would have expected.

This can apparently be a problem with using a Panasonic lens and Olympus camera
If used on a Panasonic body turning off the lens ois deactivates the ibis too

Used the new Olympus MC2.0 teleconverter for the first time at the weekend, on my 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens with the EM1 Mk2.

Had a busy weekend, first to Birmingham Wheels on Saturday for some short oval track action :-

Then to Snetterton on Sunday for the No Limits club bike racing :-

Then to Gt. Yarmouth Sunday evening for some more basic short oval action with my step-son and his friends in their Rookie Rods :-

In general my thoughts are :-
  • Not as sharp as the bare lens (to be expected) but sharp enough
  • Sharper than the PL 100-400 I had previously, though that might have been me or a bad copy
  • Gives me an easily hand-holdable 600mm equivalent lens
  • f/5.6 at the long end limits possibilities
  • Spent all day carrying just the camera + lens + 1.4x and 2.0x TC's in my pocket, 40-300mm (80-600mm eq) without having to carry a camera bag!
Overall I'm really pleased with it, at no point do I feel I had to sacrifice quality for reach, although it is noticeable that images are not as razor sharp with the TC fitted as they are with the bare lens, but then the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO is far and away the sharpest lens I've used, fitting the TC makes it only "as good" as everything else.

Used the new Olympus MC2.0 teleconverter for the first time at the weekend, on my 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO lens with the EM1 Mk2.

Had a busy weekend, first to Birmingham Wheels on Saturday for some short oval track action :-

Then to Snetterton on Sunday for the No Limits club bike racing :-

Then to Gt. Yarmouth Sunday evening for some more basic short oval action with my step-son and his friends in their Rookie Rods :-

In general my thoughts are :-
  • Not as sharp as the bare lens (to be expected) but sharp enough
  • Sharper than the PL 100-400 I had previously, though that might have been me or a bad copy
  • Gives me an easily hand-holdable 600mm equivalent lens
  • f/5.6 at the long end limits possibilities
  • Spent all day carrying just the camera + lens + 1.4x and 2.0x TC's in my pocket, 40-300mm (80-600mm eq) without having to carry a camera bag!
Overall I'm really pleased with it, at no point do I feel I had to sacrifice quality for reach, although it is noticeable that images are not as razor sharp with the TC fitted as they are with the bare lens, but then the 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO is far and away the sharpest lens I've used, fitting the TC makes it only "as good" as everything else.
Thanks for sharing these. Definitely a reduction in sharpness but still decent. I'm still in two minds :facepalm:

I could not agree more Trevor.

Toby, that is absolutely stunning. I'd love to hear more about how you achieved the image as it is presented here. It is simply superb. Very, very well done.

Simon.
Thanks Simon, I've just replied to you on Flickr regarding this but it's just a heavy vignette in Lightroom and then using the vignette brush to tidy it up (y)

Great selection there - the bikes are very impressive sharp with a great sense of movement.
I can't work out where you were at Snetterton - not somewhere I've stood from the looks of the it, outside of Bombhole?

I can't work out where you were at Snetterton

Top one is Nelsons, somewhere to the right of the grandstand and the raised viewing area, you can stand all along that fence and shoot over as it's only waist high, but I like the lowered position to the left of the raised viewing area.

The other 3 are the raised viewing area in-between the first corner, Riches, and Palmers. I go right to the very end, and move up and down the slope to shoot as they approach Riches, and once they've gone round Wilson and come back towards the in-field. You can shoot Palmer and Oggies from there as well, 3 corners from one spot.

No the MK1 with Panasonic 100-400mm.
AF-C on the EM1 isn't good tbh, the first Olympus m4/3 that was really useable for moving subjects was the EM1-II, and now EM1x. It would be nice if they implement this into the EM5-III too.

AF-C on the EM1 isn't good tbh, the first Olympus m4/3 that was really useable for moving subjects was the EM1-II, and now EM1x. It would be nice if they implement this into the EM5-III too.
I am saving for the "next generation" Oly or Panny!:)

I am saving for the "next generation" Oly or Panny!:)
Panny are developing ToF autofocus which should be a 'game changer'. When this will be implemented is anyone's guess.

Back