Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

@GreenNinja67 A good set, I think you've got away with the iso on them all, except perhaps the surfer, and even thats not terrible. I'm always doing that with the iso, I'm terrible at checking the settings before pressing the button.

@GreenNinja67 A good set, I think you've got away with the iso on them all, except perhaps the surfer, and even thats not terrible. I'm always doing that with the iso, I'm terrible at checking the settings before pressing the button.
Cheers Steve,

Ironically the surfer was meant to be at 400ISO, I wanted to freeze the movement.

The Olympus 75-300mm lens was a bargain at £200 2ndhand.

Glad you like them mate.

Just got this, £33 Yet to try it out. Sigma 600mm f8
IMG_0179.jpg

Well had a heart stopping moment yesterday. Took my backpack out of the car, and unknown to me, I hadn't properly zipped up the side access compartment. Heard a loud bang and crunch to see my EM1X and 25mm F1.2 pro tumbling down the driveway after what was about a 4 foot drop onto concrete. I felt sick :puke::puke:

Picked the camera up and aside from a couple of paint chips at either end of the body (down to the magnesium silver), you wouldn't know anything had happended. Still works fine, lens still perfect (actually unmarked - it must have not touched the ground luckily), focuses OK and the IBIS works just as well as before. Lost the lens cap off the 25mm F1.2 pro, but found it an hour later in the undergrowth of the borders.

I consider myself really lucky not only in that the camera survived, but that for most of the day it had my Olympus 300mm F4 pro attached (another 1kg+), and I changed lenses over just before leaving work. Hate to think what would have happended with the EM1X and 300mm F4 hitting concrete from 4 feet !

Not a test I'd recommend, but when they say its a pro build camera they weren't joking. That was a 1kg body dropping from 4 foot onto concerete, and it just shrugged it off and asked for more !

Last edited:
A bit of luck there Andrew that's quite a drop.

Rob.

Well had a heart stopping moment yesterday. Took my backpack out of the car, and unknown to me, I hadn't properly zipped up the side access compartment. Heard a loud bang and crunch to see my EM1X and 25mm F1.2 pro tumbling down the driveway after what was about a 4 foot drop onto concrete. I felt sick :puke::puke:

Picked the camera up and aside from a couple of paint chips at either end of the body (down to the magnesium silver), you wouldn't know anything had happended. Still works fine, lens still perfect (actually unmarked - it must have not touched the ground luckily), focuses OK and the IBIS works just as well as before. Lost the lens cap off the 25mm F1.2 pro, but found it an hour later in the undergrowth of the borders.

I consider myself really lucky not only in that the camera survived, but that for most of the day it had my Olympus 300mm F4 pro attached (another 1kg+), and I changed lenses over just before leaving work. Hate to think what would have happended with the EM1X and 300mm F4 hitting concrete from 4 feet !

Not a test I'd recommend, but when they say its a pro build camera they weren't joking. That was a 1kg body dropping from 4 foot onto concerete, and it just shrugged it off and asked for more !
Really glad it's OK, proper heart in mouth moment that :( Luckily lesson learnt without much of a punishment.

Oh no!! SO glad it's okay and I know the feeling.

I had a similar incident - but luckily my bag was only 18" off the ground when my Canon (my most expensive camera) fell out - thankfully unmarked although I later had a problem with a dial which I now wonder was it due to that fall. (Canon fixed it for £150.) Later that evening I went out and discovered a lens lying on my drive! I hadn't even noticed that at the time. Luckily that was okay too.

I always zip my bag back up now even when it is staying in the car.

Hey everyone,

Not been on TP much lately, hope all of you are well.

I just got back from a week of hiking and photography in the Swiss alps, specifically around Zermatt and the Matterhorn. Here is a taster pic.

gvgN3F3.jpg

Shot on Em5 II with the 75mm 1.8 prime, its a pano of 5 images.

Will aim to finish my photos this week and share more with you later :)

until then, enjoy!

With the knowledge of how poor the AF was with the G9 on small subjects against a busy background, i have been doing some tests with the Olympus EM1MK11.

Full file

P7230046f.jpg

The crop with a bit of PP not useable but i think it found focus ok.

P7230046c.jpg

4 hour wildlife photography tutorial from one of my favourite Oly photographers (think he is am ambassador so will be promoting stuff but might be interesting none the less) // I've not watched it yet.

http://www.sulasula.com/en/oly/

// sorry I thought it was free but it appears to be a paid course.

Last edited:
Taken from my bedroom window last night - a live composite - hand held. Em1ii 12-40 pro

View attachment 250829
Love that, this is what live composite was made for (y)

How did you achieve this, ie what settings and what intervals?

Thank you for the kind comments @jakeblu @snerkler @trevorbray - fluke really though I have managed a lightning pic before which I think was better. It really is a very clever camera. This is quite a large crop.

I focused on a neighbours light (drives me bonkers that he leaves it on) I rushed it and didn't think too hard about my settings. So this was 1/2 second exposures in live composite. It was ISO 200 and f/5.6 I just held it steady (ish) pointed at this cloud where the activity was - for about a minute. I should have been on a tripod really. I think I left it on ISO auto, so maybe it defaults to 200? Also it did do some noise reduction after each shot.

I tried to get some more from the car, but I guessed the focus - put it to infinity - and didn't really get anything worthwhile - bit blurry and the lightning was dying down by then.

I did have to up the exposure in post, so my settings were not ideal, but I think it is all guesswork with lightning anyway.

Last edited:
I tried Live Compo last night, but we had low cloud, so practically no streaks of lightning, just bright clouds. Therefore my shots were all of clouds and I deleted them. They were 10sec shots, largely because that was what the camera was set to after the last time I used it for fireworks, and it seemed to work. Until I deleted them :)

So I have an allotment, and something has been at my peas, found out what is was last night!

Whilst these are not perfect, this for me is where M4/3 comes in, I often sling my camera in the bag going down in 'in case' as it's so light. This was late at night, 400mm handled, ISO3200, 1/1160 which for me is impossible without IBIS. Anyway, here is the little blighter!

20190724_220444 by alligator1975, on Flickr

20190724_220730 by alligator1975, on Flickr

Wow, that was lucky. My bag fell off a table onto a wooden floor with my Canon gear in it: the damage was significant and covered by the insurance [eventually and without a strike as they messed me about so much with the claim]. My wife told me I went a strange shade of white after the tremendous thud. It was the last week of our holiday. Fortunately, I had my Oly with me too [not in that bag.] It might be worth having it serviced just in case?

Ah crap...

LwNx0r4.jpg

No idea how this happened :(

Ah well, off to Olympus it goes...SO glad this happened AFTER my recent photo trip.

Ah crap...

LwNx0r4.jpg

Ah well, off to Olympus it goes...SO glad this happened AFTER my recent photo trip.
Not good :eek::eek::eek: :(

Bizarre you don't know how it happened o_O Looks like it's been dropped, or something dropped onto it :(

Not good :eek::eek::eek: :(

Bizarre you don't know how it happened o_O Looks like it's been dropped, or something dropped onto it :(
Indeed. Its kept in a Crumpler Bana Bowl soft bag all the time and always with the screen closed. So yeah...literally now idea how this happened *sadface

Still, its life! I will contact Olympus today and begin a repair arrangement! :)

Sincere commiserations :puke:(I had a similar experience 3 or 4 years ago)
As a matter of interest, may I ask whether the rear LED panel had been "parked" with the LED screen facing in (glass against body of camera) or facing out?

Ah crap...

LwNx0r4.jpg

Oh man, I'd probably cry if it was mine.
Sincere commiserations :puke:(I had a similar experience 3 or 4 years ago)
As a matter of interest, may I ask whether the rear LED panel had been "parked" with the LED screen facing in (glass against body of camera) or facing out?
He says, 'screen closed' so I'm guessing its facing into the body.

Well that really sucks! The only way I can think this would happen is if you closed it with something trapped between the screen and body, like an SD card or something small

Back