Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Unfortunately due to my financial situation the Em1 MKII has been sold :( I really enjoyed the camera but I needed the money. So, looking for a cheapish camera to tide me over until orders have improved and I'm gonna stay with M4/3 and probably Olympus. I don't think I can quite manage to scrape enough for an EM5 MKII but perhaps a EM10 MKII. Anyone here shooting with one of those, and if I went for one, what would I miss from the Em5 MKII.

Unfortunately due to my financial situation the Em1 MKII has been sold :( I really enjoyed the camera but I needed the money. So, looking for a cheapish camera to tide me over until orders have improved and I'm gonna stay with M4/3 and probably Olympus. I don't think I can quite manage to scrape enough for an EM5 MKII but perhaps a EM10 MKII. Anyone here shooting with one of those, and if I went for one, what would I miss from the Em5 MKII.

Sorry hear that but obviously needs must!

Depending on how far you need to "retreat" you can get the Olympus Pen PL8 with 12 -42 EZ zoom and claim a 45mm f1.8 all for £299 at Jessops.

As on phone cannot quickly find the mention here at TP. If you cannot find it I will post full link in about 2 hours or less. ;)

Sorry hear that but obviously needs must!

Depending on how far you need to "retreat" you can get the Olympus Pen PL8 with 12 -42 EZ zoom and claim a 45mm f1.8 all for £299 at Jessops.

As on phone cannot quickly find the mention here at TP. If you cannot find it I will post full link in about 2 hours or less. ;)
Yeah i saw that and it looks interesting. There's £150 off the list price of of £449 and apparently a free 45mm from Olympus. Its almost worth it just for that, but I can't do without a viewfinder.

Last edited:
Yeah i saw that and it looks interesting. There's £150 off the list price of of £449 and apparently a free 45mm from Olympus. Its almost worth it just for that, but I can't do without a viewfinder.

Yes, I am tempted just to get the 45mm ;)

Re: EVF, I gather there is one for the Pen.....think it called EV-4 but cannot recall the price or just good it is but having said that = more money and possible inconvenience of such a configuration???

Just a heads up.
I've just posted in the 'wanted' thread a request for a great condition Oly OM-D E-M1 mark ll.
My earlier post re a swap for Fuji X-T3 is now defunct.

Re: EVF, I gather there is one for the Pen.....think it called EV-4 but cannot recall the price or just good it is but having said that = more money and possible inconvenience of such a configuration???

Olympus have made 3 different EVFs, the VF-2, VF-3 and VF-4. These I believe will fit all the Pen EPL series, except the latest EPL-9, which had the accessory port below the hotshoe deleted from the specification. The differencies between the EVFs is mainly the resolution, from low to high the sequence is VF-3, VF-2, VF-4. I use the VF-2 on my EPL-6 for motorcycle travel, it's light, packs small and works well, but otherwise, the OMD EM10 series secondhand makes more sense to avoid the cost of buying an EVF for a Pen. The EVFs appear secondhand on MPB and such as LCE every now and again, mine was about £69 from MPB.

Sorry to hear of your situation, the EM10-II is still a cracking camera though :smashin:

Just a heads up.
I've just posted in the 'wanted' thread a request for a great condition Oly OM-D E-M1 mark ll.
My earlier post re a swap for Fuji X-T3 is now defunct.

I no longer require the Oly EM1 ll as I've ordered one today from WEX at their special price of £1199 including free battery grip. Good deal I thought.

Last edited:

I've had the E-M10ii for 18 months as an upgrade from the E-PL5 then E-M10i
I've not owned the E-M5ii but from memory you'll lose stacking and high res. mode.
You gain an OLED viewfinder and a handy pop up flash.
This link may help:
https://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/r...lympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-vs-e-m5-ii-vs-e-m1-71307
The better stabilisation and EVF were the reason I upgraded from the mark i
The handling is subtly better than the Mki too and I wouldn't go back.

One thing to bear in mind is the M10 is a little smaller than the M5. I like that and it suits me but some people do find the M10 to be too small.
Certainly with my newly acquired 12-40 PRO it feels like a body on a lens not a lens on the body!

These are my best shots with the E-M10ii
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmatvC5W

Olympus have made 3 different EVFs, the VF-2, VF-3 and VF-4. These I believe will fit all the Pen EPL series, except the latest EPL-9, which had the accessory port below the hotshoe deleted from the specification. The differencies between the EVFs is mainly the resolution, from low to high the sequence is VF-3, VF-2, VF-4. I use the VF-2 on my EPL-6 for motorcycle travel, it's light, packs small and works well, but otherwise, the OMD EM10 series secondhand makes more sense to avoid the cost of buying an EVF for a Pen. The EVFs appear secondhand on MPB and such as LCE every now and again, mine was about £69 from MPB.

I had the VF-4 for my PL-5. It was lovely, very large and bright but it was mostly left in the bag because it made the PL body shape awkward to stow in the bag. Until I had the EVF on the M10 I didn't really miss it and worked with the screen, now I wouldn't consider being without an EVF.
I bought it for about £120 and sold it on again for about £100. I don't think there is much logic in buying one for the PL bodies when the E-M10ii is so much cheaper these days.

I noticed WEX have no new E-M10ii listed any more, Norwich John Lewis had their display model with EZ lens on a ridiculously cheap price a few weeks back so I think it's fair to say it's on it's way out.

MPB have a "well used" example for £180 - it sounds faulty to me but you get some warranty, you pay your money and take your choice.
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...-cameras/used-olympus-compact-system-cameras/

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your situation,
Thanks, work is a little thin on the ground at the moment but hopefully it will improve soon
the EM10-II is still a cracking camera though :smashin:
It might be my best option to tide me over for a few months until my finances improve. I was also thinking about the original EM1, I think you had one, would you recommend?

I've had the E-M10ii for 18 months as an upgrade from the E-PL5 then E-M10i
I've not owned the E-M5ii but from memory you'll lose stacking and high res. mode.
You gain an OLED viewfinder and a handy pop up flash.
This link may help:
https://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/r...lympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-vs-e-m5-ii-vs-e-m1-71307
The better stabilisation and EVF were the reason I upgraded from the mark i
The handling is subtly better than the Mki too and I wouldn't go back.

One thing to bear in mind is the M10 is a little smaller than the M5. I like that and it suits me but some people do find the M10 to be too small.
Certainly with my newly acquired 12-40 PRO it feels like a body on a lens not a lens on the body!

These are my best shots with the E-M10ii
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmatvC5W
Thanks for that, I'm split between the Em1 or and EM10II

Thanks for that, I'm split between the Em1 or and EM10II
Tricky choice - I wasn't interested in the M1 because it's larger and heavier and a primary goal with M43 for me was smaller and lighter.
I like the built in flash in the M10ii too.

The M1 beats it for burst rates and the focusing should be faster - it depends if you shoot fast(er) moving subjects a lot.
And the M1 is weather sealed with the right lens.

My money would be for the cheaper M10 but it's a dilemma coming from the M1ii as they're both going to feel like a step down.
I can't see either body holding much long term value though. The Mki M5 and M10 seem to have bottomed out around £120-150 with the dealers.

Good luck!

The optional grip for the 10mk2 solves that, I found it more or less essential when using the 12-40. They can be had pretty cheaply now, or even cheaper for a 3rd party one.

I've moved on to a 5mk2 now and it is noticeably bigger - and I've got a grip on that too!

Thanks, work is a little thin on the ground at the moment but hopefully it will improve soon

It might be my best option to tide me over for a few months until my finances improve. I was also thinking about the original EM1, I think you had one, would you recommend?
I really liked the EM1, the only reason for the upgrade was for the C-AF really, AF acquisition in this area between the Mark I and Mark II is night and day imo. For everything else the Mark I is excellent.

I liked the E-M1 too, sold mine because I have mostly Panasonic lenses and wanted the combined IS capability
There is one for sale on the classifieds for 230 quid, can't be bad

I liked the E-M1 too, sold mine because I have mostly Panasonic lenses and wanted the combined IS capability
There is one for sale on the classifieds for 230 quid, can't be bad
On here? I can't find it.

Last edited:
The optional grip for the 10mk2 solves that, I found it more or less essential when using the 12-40. They can be had pretty cheaply now, or even cheaper for a 3rd party one.
It's an option but that would mean I couldn't fit it in my two smaller bags - smaller and lighter were the two main reasons I moved from a DSLR to M43 years back.
I'm still in two minds about the 12-40 PRO. I bought it on impulse as I was feeling flush and it was a good price - GAS probably!
There's no argument about the quality but it's not as easy to carry about nor is it as discreet as the EZ pancake zoom.
I take photos when I'm out, I rarely go out to take photos so portability is really important to me.

I suspect it's all academic to @jakeblu coming from the E-M1ii and a gripped E-M10ii would be fine.

It's an option but that would mean I couldn't fit it in my two smaller bags - smaller and lighter were the two main reasons I moved from a DSLR to M43 years back.
I'm still in two minds about the 12-40 PRO. I bought it on impulse as I was feeling flush and it was a good price - GAS probably!
There's no argument about the quality but it's not as easy to carry about nor is it as discreet as the EZ pancake zoom.
I take photos when I'm out, I rarely go out to take photos so portability is really important to me.

I suspect it's all academic to @jakeblu coming from the E-M1ii and a gripped E-M10ii would be fine.
I'm still umming and ahing over the Em1i or the Em10ii. I quite like the idea of a smaller camera for a while, just something light and easy to carry around, not that I felt the EM1ii was too big or heavy.

Guys, I would like some help with a purchase decision. I’m trying to decide between the em5 mk2 (or possibly em10) and the Fuji xt20, I know the differences between them by specification but practically I’d like some insight. I’m expecting my first child soon and would like a camera that will cope well for keeping up with kids in the near future. I also like taking pics when travelling too. I have a Nikon D610 at the moment with some nice 2.8 lenses but it’s a chore to use and one reason for changing was to lighten the load and also gain a bit of money back with this change. Obviously the smaller mirrorless cant compete for autofocus with a FF dslr but are they good enough to keep up with children playing etc.
Thoughts

I've had a Fuji XT1 & 2 and now have the EM5 MK2.

Focus tracking is not a strong suit for the Olympus EM5 MK2.

I'd look to the EM1 MK2 if budget allows (it'll be my next camera).

I much prefer the output from the Olympus and is fantastic for most genres of photography from landscape to studio shots but action is where it is let down a little.

Don't get me wrong I've got some great shots of the grandkids chasing around but I'd get more keepers with a DSLR.

Like you though I wanted lighter kit.

I observed the dreaded "worms and artifacts" with Fuji. Apparently it's better now but it put me off for life.

Hope this helps,

Terry.

I've had a Fuji XT1 & 2 and now have the EM5 MK2.

Focus tracking is not a strong suit for the Olympus EM5 MK2.

I'd look to the EM1 MK2 if budget allows (it'll be my next camera).

I much prefer the output from the Olympus and is fantastic for most genres of photography from landscape to studio shots but action is where it is let down a little.

Don't get me wrong I've got some great shots of the grandkids chasing around but I'd get more keepers with a DSLR.

Like you though I wanted lighter kit.

I observed the dreaded "worms and artifacts" with Fuji. Apparently it's better now but it put me off for life.

Hope this helps,

Terry.
Thanks for your opinion green ninja67,
Budget won’t stretch to a em1 unfortunately. I realise the em5/10’s forte isn’t action but thought maybe it would be good enough not to be frustrated chasing a kid about and general sporty action.

Guys, I would like some help with a purchase decision. I’m trying to decide between the em5 mk2 (or possibly em10) and the Fuji xt20, I know the differences between them by specification but practically I’d like some insight. I’m expecting my first child soon and would like a camera that will cope well for keeping up with kids in the near future. I also like taking pics when travelling too. I have a Nikon D610 at the moment with some nice 2.8 lenses but it’s a chore to use and one reason for changing was to lighten the load and also gain a bit of money back with this change. Obviously the smaller mirrorless cant compete for autofocus with a FF dslr but are they good enough to keep up with children playing etc.
Thoughts
I don't think the EM5-II is great for that kind of thing tbh, but then I didn't rate the XT1 for that either so not sure how the XT20 would fair?

Thought I'd order a couple of spare batteries for my E-M1 ii and grip! Expensive aren't they?
Anyone found suitable replacements?
Thanks.

The cheapest OEM I found a short while ago was Amazon....... but that was a fullfilment on behalf of a USA based re/trailer. As I recall approx £62

Since we are talking 300mm, here is a 2/3rd crop, 2000ISO, 300mm plus 1.4TC. About the limit!
Crumbs it is small...........so small I can't see it ;). I take it you meant to post a photo but something has gone wrong?

Last edited:
Been up in Northumberland at Alnmouth for a family (so no serious photography) break this last week. However, as our cottage was literally two minutes away from the River Aln estuary, I couldn't resist walking down on an evening to see what I could get. I didn't have any tripod or filters with me, so this is a hand held 3 exposure bracket which I've then processed in Lightroom. Pretty pleased with how its turned out.

Alnmouth by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

OMD EM1 mk II + Oly 12-40mm f2.8.

Cheers,

Simon.

Been up in Northumberland at Alnmouth for a family (so no serious photography) break this last week. However, as our cottage was literally two minutes away from the River Aln estuary, I couldn't resist walking down on an evening to see what I could get. I didn't have any tripod or filters with me, so this is a hand held 3 exposure bracket which I've then processed in Lightroom. Pretty pleased with how its turned out.

Alnmouth by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

OMD EM1 mk II + Oly 12-40mm f2.8.

Cheers,

Simon.
Looks like a lovely still evening - almost feels like you're there when you look at this. Beautiful part of the world Northumberland.

I love that these cameras can be hand held in tricky situations.

Looks like a lovely still evening - almost feels like you're there when you look at this. Beautiful part of the world Northumberland.

I love that these cameras can be hand held in tricky situations.

Olympus (and m4/3 in general) continues to impress me. For my needs it is the perfect compromise between so many competing demands.

Simon.

MC-20 user experiences please :)

I have read various reviews that indicate the new MC-20 is very good optically and a good compliment with the MC-14 when different TC extension is required.

So, of those who have now got the MC-20 how are you now getting on with it?

The way I am thinking is that it makes a good one for travel where overall weight & volume of gear needs to be watched but you want as long a max FL as possible as well versatility of zooming i.e. combined with the 40-150 Pro you get the benefit of the max zoom 300mm (giving 600mm FoV equivalent) for times of wildlife usage ~ where taking the 300mm f4 Pro is less versatile & bulky/heavier than the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro.

TIA for any replies :)

PS @GyRob Hi Rob, I see mentioned on a PoTN post with the Robin that you used the x2 TC ;) .........so "mentioned" you here to attract your attention for your thoughts :)

Last edited:
I've managed to pick up and M10.2 and a Panny 12-32mm. So far I impressed with this little camera obviouslt not as fully featured as my EM1.2 but it'll see me over for a few months.

Just a heads up, I'm about to put an ad in the wanted section for a cheap Oly 40-150mm zoom, so if anyones looking to move one on, I'll see you in there (y)

Back