Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
Does anyone watch the YouTube videos on the Olympus system of Peter Forsgard? When I originally got my EM1 mk II I searched around for setup videos and came across this one by him: -

View: https://youtu.be/slIvcXjscSY

For me, the interesting bit in the video is how he sets the camera up to get the best exposure every time, displaying both clipped shadows and highlights in real time in the EVF. I copied these settings, and have to say I find them extremely useful and that they work extremely well. Images look really flat in the LR library module, but go to the develop module and they come alive. Typically all I'm doing to my images is bringing the exposure back from the ETTR he recommends. Hopefully, this might help someone as much as it helped me.

Cheers,

Simon.

For me, the interesting bit in the video is how he sets the camera up to get the best exposure every time, displaying both clipped shadows and highlights in real time in the EVF. I copied these settings, and have to say I find them extremely useful and that they work extremely well. Images look really flat in the LR library module, but go to the develop module and they come alive. Typically all I'm doing to my images is bringing the exposure back from the ETTR he recommends. Hopefully, this might help someone as much as it helped me.

Cheers,

Simon.

I only recently read about this and thought along with focus peaking for manual focus it would be really handy.
I struggled to get it to stick yesterday in the labyrinthine menus of my E-M10ii but I've managed it today, looking forward to trying it out :).
I expect it will cause even worse technofear when I hand the camera over to family for shots with me in :)

On the subject of exposure.
I'm slightly puzzled as Lightroom 6 (final standalone version) seems determined to boost the exposure of most of what I shoot by +0.5-1.0
I generally use P and let the camera pick the settings, dialing them up or down or using exposure compensation to get anything that isn't caught by the camera's choice.
It will be interesting to see what the camera is throwing away at the top (or the bottom) on the default - perhaps I'll do a better job in camera with the EVF view.

I've managed to pick up and M10.2 and a Panny 12-32mm. So far I impressed with this little camera obviouslt not as fully featured as my EM1.2 but it'll see me over for a few months.

Just a heads up, I'm about to put an ad in the wanted section for a cheap Oly 40-150mm zoom, so if anyones looking to move one on, I'll see you in there (y)
Glad you like it :)

Does anyone watch the YouTube videos on the Olympus system of Peter Forsgard? When I originally got my EM1 mk II I searched around for setup videos and came across this one by him: -

Cheers,

Simon.
I've used the highlight and shadow 'blinkies' for quite some time now, I find it quite useful. Between this, the histogram and the EVF I tend to get it right more times than not now ;)

MC-20 user experiences please :)

I have read various reviews that indicate the new MC-20 is very good optically and a good compliment with the MC-14 when different TC extension is required.

So, of those who have now got the MC-20 how are you now getting on with it?

The way I am thinking is that it makes a good one for travel where overall weight & volume of gear needs to be watched but you want as long a max FL as possible as well versatility of zooming i.e. combined with the 40-150 Pro you get the benefit of the max zoom 300mm (giving 600mm FoV equivalent) for times of wildlife usage ~ where taking the 300mm f4 Pro is less versatile & bulky/heavier than the 40-150mm f2.8 Pro.

TIA for any replies :)

PS @GyRob Hi Rob, I see mentioned on a PoTN post with the Robin that you used the x2 TC ;) .........so "mentioned" you here to attract your attention for your thoughts :)

OK - my thoughts, it gives me and my 300mm a perfectly acceptable 1200mm equivalent, but with the difficulties that come with heat haze, f8 as a bottom f-stop and the absolute requirement of OIS. I have to say that the OMD1 and 300mm lens OIS work amazingly well with the MC-20.

For getting a shot, it is amazing, but I haven't really used it on the 40-150 yet, because I have the 300mm.

Images 2 & 3 were on sequential high.
I also took some on Pro Capture - what a great aid!

Great start for the new camera, if you used pro capture was it with the 100-400 which i guess would be pro capture high and SAF.

Great start for the new camera, if you used pro capture was it with the 100-400 which i guess would be pro capture high and SAF.

When I tried Pro capture it was on the high setting and c-af - should it be on single af?
It was with the 100-400mm.

When I tried Pro capture it was on the high setting and c-af - should it be on single af?
It was with the 100-400mm.

As far as i can work out with a Panasonic lens you can only get the high setting and it uses SAF, this would mean you did really well, how many pre-release shots did you set.

As far as i can work out with a Panasonic lens you can only get the high setting and it uses SAF, this would mean you did really well, how many pre-release shots did you set.

It's set up for 8

Cheers,

Simon.
I subscribe to him and have watched quite a few of his videos, but that one has passed me by. Thanks, I'll have a look.

You're right - I found a video on YouTube making that point.

@GreenNinja67 Love the harbour shots Terry, brings back great memories of holidaying in Cornwall.

Just purchased a used Olympus 75mm F1.8 from WEX, as I had some credit sat there for some time and decided to use it. I've always looked and wondered about this lens, so as the actually cash from me was almost nothing, decided to take a punt. The lens arrived this morning and is absolutely mint in every way. Just purchased a 2nd hand hood for it from the bay (still annoys me that Olympus doesn't sometimes supply hoods). Anyway, initial testing super quick and silent focusing and is tack sharp wide open. Will make a cracking portrait accompaniment to the Noticron 42.5mm F1.2 that I already had.

Here it is on the EM1X. It's much smaller than I thought it would be.

Just purchased a used Olympus 75mm F1.8 from WEX, as I had some credit sat there for some time and decided to use it. I've always looked and wondered about this lens, so as the actually cash from me was almost nothing, decided to take a punt. The lens arrived this morning and is absolutely mint in every way. Just purchased a 2nd hand hood for it from the bay (still annoys me that Olympus doesn't sometimes supply hoods). Anyway, initial testing super quick and silent focusing and is tack sharp wide open. Will make a cracking portrait accompaniment to the Noticron 42.5mm F1.2 that I already had.

It's a very nice lens, creates pretty decent subject isolation (y)

I have one and absolutely love it! It renders beautifully :)

Simon.

well, in a bit of a segue-way from the above post, I went out at lunchtime with the EM1X and my Panny 100-400. Wanted to see how good it was as as pseudo Macro lens. Answer pretty good. Allowed me to keep a good distance from the insects without spooking them. These below processed for the first time in Capture One Pro that I purchased recently, with final NR and Sharpening in PS. All hand-held BTW @ 800mm equivalent focal length.

Last edited:
@Sootchucker Pretty impressive results such a high level of detail.

Last edited:

It's a glorious lens! Even just holding it off camera it just feels so right! :p

Back