Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Its very good, AF is just a tad slower and the shots aren't quite as crisp as the 300f4 pro i'm not seeing any CA at all .
A little PP comes close to the 300f4 and you only really see it if pixel peeping Im very happy with it .

Side note, the 2x Is very good on the 300 too.
Rob.

looking through this thread I am seriously thinking about changing back to using my MFT gear again .. I still have my PL100-400 and a Panasonic 12-60 .. looks like the big lens couples fairly well with the omd1.mkii body .. the pics on here are encouraging to say the least

looking through this thread I am seriously thinking about changing back to using my MFT gear again .. I still have my PL100-400 and a Panasonic 12-60 .. looks like the big lens couples fairly well with the omd1.mkii body .. the pics on here are encouraging to say the least

The 100-400 always was a good match but since the latest firmware update on the body its even better.

Yes most was sheet so just had to guess where to point the camera lol

Do Olympus cameras have a tendency to underexpose the RAWs ? Going through some of my older photos (now I'm a bit better at editing) and I'm having to crank exposure up by half to a full stop on each. This is with an e-p3 and e-m5.1.
I usually set +0.3 EV in the settings on mine.

Loving the E-M5ii and so much so that I am thinking of selling all my very much loved Nikon gear, D750 & D7200 with lenses etc. And buying unto the E-M1 mark ii. Anyone else done similar and any regrets or never looked back.
The amount of Nikon gear I have should get me a decent Olympus set up.

Loving the E-M5ii and so much so that I am thinking of selling all my very much loved Nikon gear, D750 & D7200 with lenses etc. And buying unto the E-M1 mark ii. Anyone else done similar and any regrets or never looked back.
Kind of. Sold my D850, 150-600mm, 70-300mm and 105mm macro and got the EM1-II, 40-150mm f2.8 and Panny 100-400mm. For the things I shot with these set ups the Olympus is definitely comparable, both in terms of IQ (at normal viewing sizes) and AF.

I have still kept FF though (Z7) as m4/3 can’t match the shallow DOF and ‘pop’.

Stockton's Infinity Bridge

Infinity Bridge Dawn by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

The reflections weren't quite perfect, but the light was really lovely in the 20 minutes or so before sunrise. This image as presented consists of 4 images. Three images for the bridge and buildings to allow me to recover highlights from the lights, and then a fourth image taken around 30 minutes after those for the colourful background. They were then blended using luminosity masks.

EM1 mk II + Oly 12-40mm

Cheers,

Simon.

@srhmoto That'a a lovely shot!

Do Olympus cameras have a tendency to underexpose the RAWs ? Going through some of my older photos (now I'm a bit better at editing) and I'm having to crank exposure up by half to a full stop on each. This is with an e-p3 and e-m5.1.
Not in my experience. If I do anything I'd say I might set mine to underexpose so I don't blow highlights, but I've not had either of those cameras - I've only tried the Pen F, Em5ii and EM1ii.

I couldn't quite bring myself to get rid of my FF gear, but it does take a back seat compared to my Em1ii.

I also started my M4/3 journey with the Em5ii. The Em1ii is much better for action and gets you extra reach compared with FF - plus the long lenses are lighter and more affordable than the FF equivalents.

I find modern cameras do tend to underexpose, at least that’s what I’ve found with the D750, D850, Z7 and EM1-II. I’m guessing it’s because it’s easier to recover shadows rather than blown highlights.

Just done it....
Sold my D500, D810 and loads of lenses - bought E M 1 ll and Panasonic G5 (GAS) and Leica 12-60, 100-400, 200mm f2.8, Oly 40-150, Oly 18mm - think I might have overdone it!
But seriously, the quality is great, and my old body is loving it !!!

I did last year sold all my canon gear and went fully MFT .. Panasonic though g80 ,100-400,12-60 plus Nikon and m42 adaptors for legacy glass it all worked well but I felt something was missing so over Xmas I went back to Nikon . But looking at the results some are getting on here from the mkii and 100-400 it might be time to sell the Nikon gear and take the plunge again .. some of my choices are based on weight as well as I now have a dodgy ticker to cope with ..will make my final decision shortly

I did last year sold all my canon gear and went fully MFT .. Panasonic though g80 ,100-400,12-60 plus Nikon and m42 adaptors for legacy glass it all worked well but I felt something was missing so over Xmas I went back to Nikon . But looking at the results some are getting on here from the mkii and 100-400 it might be time to sell the Nikon gear and take the plunge again .. some of my choices are based on weight as well as I now have a dodgy ticker to cope with ..will make my final decision shortly

And why cant your wife carry it :exit:

7956de38fec69c2ee2ddef4797ca9807--camera-equipment-portrait-photographers.jpg

Kind of. Sold my D850, 150-600mm, 70-300mm and 105mm macro and got the EM1-II, 40-150mm f2.8 and Panny 100-400mm. For the things I shot with these set ups the Olympus is definitely comparable, both in terms of IQ (at normal viewing sizes) and AF.

I have still kept FF though (Z7) as m4/3 can’t match the shallow DOF and ‘pop’.
Thank you. Olympus seem to have a good offer on at the moment for the M1ii with the discount and free lens. I need to look into it to see if it's competitive.
I do have some Olympus glass for now so no great rush for lenses. Olympus 14-42mm pancake,
Olympus 45mm f1.8,
Lumix 14-140mm and Lumix 100 300mm.
None of the above seem to have a reputation as being the sharpest but they are all sharp enough for me for the time being.

Thank you. Olympus seem to have a good offer on at the moment for the M1ii with the discount and free lens. I need to look into it to see if it's competitive.
I do have some Olympus glass for now so no great rush for lenses. Olympus 14-42mm pancake,
Olympus 45mm f1.8,
Lumix 14-140mm and Lumix 100 300mm.
None of the above seem to have a reputation as being the sharpest but they are all sharp enough for me for the time being.
No none are the "sharpest" but they're still OK. The 45mm renders nicely even if f1.8 on M4/3 doesn't give you great subject isolation.

Unfortunately due to my financial situation the Em1 MKII has been sold :( I really enjoyed the camera but I needed the money. So, looking for a cheapish camera to tide me over until orders have improved and I'm gonna stay with M4/3 and probably Olympus. I don't think I can quite manage to scrape enough for an EM5 MKII but perhaps a EM10 MKII. Anyone here shooting with one of those, and if I went for one, what would I miss from the Em5 MKII.

Hi Snerkler,
I'm new on here, so first let me say hello.

Sorry to hear about your finances, but you'll find the Olympus OM-D E-M10 both marks II and III are not too different.

If you want maximum customization, then it's the cheaper MkII. Whereas the slightly upgraded MkIII has better software and more ergonomically positioned controls, they've removed some of the customisation options, to make the camera easier to use by entry level photographers.

I'm a professional photographer, with 40+ years in the game, and I'm very impressed with the OM-D E-M10 MkIII. I've also got the E-M5 MkII, for days when I need a weather-sealed camera. But mostly I just switch between the two.

If you're after the most bang for your buck, Snerkler, then I'd recommend a second-hand MkII off eBay or a grey importer, like HDEW. It's a brilliant camera, which you will have no difficulty selling on later, or is always worth keeping for those days when you need a second body to give you flexibility in switching between lenses. Prices around £299 on eBay, but bear in mind you can get it new for only £269 from HDEW. (Just read up on the pro's and con's of grey imports.)

Have fun. The "retail therapy" will do you good,
The Bear

Hi Snerkler,

Sorry to hear about your finances, but you'll find the Olympus OM-D E-M10 both marks II and III are not too different.

If you want maximum customization, then it's the cheaper MkII. Whereas the slightly upgraded MkIII has better software and more ergonomically positioned controls, they've removed some of the customisation options, to make the camera easier to use by entry level photographers.

I'm a professional photographer, with 40+ years in the game, and I'm very impressed with the OM-D E-M10 MkIII. I've also got the E-M5 MkII, for days when I need a weather-sealed camera. But mostly I just switch between the two.

If you're after the most bang for your buck, Snerkler, then I'd recommend a second-hand MkII off eBay or a grey importer, like HDEW. It's a brilliant camera, which you will have no difficulty selling on later, or is always worth keeping for those days when you need a second body to give you flexibility in switching between lenses. Prices around £299 on eBay, but bear in mind you can get it new for only £269 from HDEW. (Just read up on the pro's and con's of grey imports.)

The Bear
Some good advice, although it's not me who you should be addressing it to ;) :p

Hi Snerkler,

The Bear
Some good advice, although it's not me who you should be addressing it to ;) :p
Thanks for the good advice but as Snerkler says, its me who sold my camera. I now have a EM10 MKII and am very impressed with this little camera.

Popped into a local dealers today and had a look at a 1-mkii feels quiet nice in the hand and more solid than expected . . Will have to bring my G80 out of retirement over the weekend then decide on the results obtained from that . Although I think it’s gonna be a done deal . Just got to wait on a £1 fees weekend from e.bay now

Popped into a local dealers today and had a look at a 1-mkii feels quiet nice in the hand and more solid than expected . . Will have to bring my G80 out of retirement over the weekend then decide on the results obtained from that . Although I think it’s gonna be a done deal . Just got to wait on a £1 fees weekend from e.bay now
There are various offers on the E-M1 MK2 right now until 31st August..... one of them is to get a free 30mm macro lens of bought from Olympus webshop or participating dealers ;)

I spent Sunday sat in the dark by Eastnor Obelisk with some sheep, who ironically were also trying to photograph the Milky Way. The conditions were perfect and the Milky Way lined up nicely with the Obelisk, albeit it's position makes it difficult to shot with anything other than a UWA (7.5-9mm). I tried the Oly 12-40mm, PL 15mm f/1.7 and Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5.
Obelisk - 1.jpg

Obelisk - 2.jpg

Obelisk - 3.jpg

I have nowhere near me to try a E-M1ii so I'd be interested in your opinion. Love the M5ii though so I can't see why I wouldn't like it. Just wish the Olympus menu system wasn't such a pain to navigate through.

I'd be interested in your opinion as well now you've tried the OLY. From my recent experiences, I have found the Panasonic to retain more detail in the high/mid tones as well as producing a slightly sharper image SOOC.

Not yet tried it just wanted to see what it’s like ..but watch this space

I'd be interested in your opinion as well now you've tried the OLY. From my recent experiences, I have found the Panasonic to retain more detail in the high/mid tones as well as producing a slightly sharper image SOOC.

The main problem with Panasonic is not the files its the lack of Phase detect AF, ok it has DFD which is better than plain Contrast AF but falls short for things like birds in flight.
Dont get me wrong the G9 can catch BIF but the hit rate is very low and if the subject is small against a busy background the chances are the focusing will lock on the background, i spent a few months on the G9 convinced it was a user error but in the end gave up.

A couple from the G9 and 100-400. when it worked but as i say the miss rate was too high.

P1004643 by electric.mike, on Flickr

P1004850 by electric.mike, on Flickr

One from the Olympus using the new firmware update.

P8060106 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back