Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks - will definitely get it up to the latest firmware - one of the main reasons to get it based on yours and other posts. It will be depressing when it arrives and I still miss lots of BIF shots and realise it's just me not the camera...but I'm hoping for a higher success rate vs the EM5mkII.

You will get a higher success rate with it so long as you get it set up right and practice, thats why i take so many pigeon shots, if it flys past i point the camera at it ;)

Got to agree with mike , it’s a big learning curve already having owned Olympus will help you , lovely afternoon today and I’ve been stuck in hospital all afternoon ,and tomorrow got yet another heart appointment grrrr

EM1MK11 and 100-400 @ ISO 4000

P9050007 by electric.mike, on Flickr
ISO 4000 surely not possible with M43, wasn't someone on here recently complaining about high iso nature shots looking crap! Well thats the perfect answer to that b****x

Oh, and you've captured it perfectly :D

Anyone on here using the 45mm f.1.8 ... just been reading the reviews looks like a good standard lens .. mulling it over

Anyone on here using the 45mm f.1.8 ... just been reading the reviews looks like a good standard lens .. mulling it over

A well regarded little prime that, I would go for the Pany 42.5 1.7 over it personally but only because it focuses much closer in when needed but the Oly is cheaper and both are about as sharp

A well regarded little prime that, I would go for the Pany 42.5 1.7 over it personally but only because it focuses much closer in when needed but the Oly is cheaper and both are about as sharp
Trying to stick with all Olympus lenses Keith for full compatibility. And yes price does become into it .. also got a 30mm macro as part of the deal on camera so don’t need macro on lens

Last edited:
Trying to stick with all Olympus lenses Keith for full compatibility. And yes price does become into it .. also got a 30mm macro as part of the deal on camera so don’t need macro on lens

For me macro and close up are different things, but I hear ya. The 45 1.8 is apparently very nice, never got to try it myself but often threatened to buy one - go for it :)

I had one Jeff, but to be honest wasn't hugely impressed with its performance wide open, so didn't hang on to it for very long. So far, it's the only m4/3 lens I've ever used where I've been disappointed with wide open performance. Maybe I just had a duff copy. Got better stopped down, but I bought it to use pretty much wide open or ever so slightly stopped down for portraits.

Simon.

Last edited:
I found my 45 1.8 to be very sharp wide open but haven't used it since getting the 12-40 pro which is equally sharp - I rarely need f/1.8 but keep it on the offchance.

My 45 1.8 was sharp wide open.
I only used it a couple of times, as I bought a panasonic 35-100 2.8 which I prefer.
I sold my 45 and bought a Panasonic 25 1.7

Last edited:
I found my 45 1.8 to be very sharp wide open but haven't used it since getting the 12-40 pro which is equally sharp - I rarely need f/1.8 but keep it on the offchance.

IMO one of the best value for money M43 lenses out there the 12-40 if you can get one used for a good price, loved it.

My 45 1.8 was sharp wide open.
I only used it a couple of times, as I bought a panasonic 35-100 2.8 which I prefer.
I sold my 45 and bought a Panasonic 25 1.8

The 25 1.7 is actually the best value, I thought it was a little cracker - you just have to know that it's best used with manual settings to prevent the known focus shift issues. It's insanely sharp then

Last edited:
IMO one of the best value for money M43 lenses out there the 12-40 if you can get one used for a good price, loved it.

The 25 1.7 is actually the best value, I thought it was a little cracker - you just have to know that it's best used with manual settings to prevent the known focus shift issues. It's insanely sharp then
Forgot it's a 1.7 not 1.8 :)
Its great, the focal length suits me better too for general use.

hmm just had a look at both those options 12-40 and 35-100 unfortunately not yet won the lottery ,if I was spending that much I would opt for a 300mm f4 .. just want a walk about lens at a reasonable price so will probably go for the 45 f1.8

hmm just had a look at both those options 12-40 and 35-100 unfortunately not yet won the lottery ,if I was spending that much I would opt for a 300mm f4 .. just want a walk about lens at a reasonable price so will probably go for the 45 f1.8

When I bought my 12-40 it was only £389 and was minty - I think there was a bit of a sale on MPB at the time though. Well worth it, that's kit lens pricing for a pro grade lens, it really is nice.

The 45 is great value, but not sure if it's an ideal walkabout lens.
I tried it as a walkabout and it wasn't wide enough for me, so I sold it and went for the 25 1.7 panasonic.
The panasonic 12-60 or 12-35 kit lenses are great value and both work great on my wife's em10ii

Last edited:
also looking at the 60mm sigma 2.8 dn now available for £144 BNIB

I have the Olympus 45mm f1.8 - there are a fair few floating around used as it was part of a freebie deal recently.
Wex had one "used" that still had it's blue plastic protection in the photos.

Camera Jungle have 20% code on their homepage and one for £130 at the time of writing (12m guaranty).

I also have the Panasonic 25mm f1.7, Olympus 17mm f1.8 and recently got the 12-40 PRO used.
I find the 45mm is too long for general walkabout and despite it being very good it's probably my least used lens.
The P 25mm f1.7 is a bargain but I prefer the Olympus 17mm for it's focal length - the manual focus clutch combined with focus peaking is fun to use.

Based on my recent usage - I'd say the 12-40 PRO is worth more to me than the primes.
If I were starting from scratch with what I now know I'd probably look for a deal on a used one of those first. They pop up under £400 now and then.
If I had to pick one prime then I'd go for the Olympus 17mm f1.8 - though it's the most expensive of my primes.

I stick my pictures in Albums for the lenses if you're interested in what I've done with each.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuk/albums

Last edited:
I had this one too, nice lens, very sharp even wide open. But don't you already have the Olympus 60mm macro?
Not any more

also looking at the 60mm sigma 2.8 dn now available for £144 BNIB

The Sigma lens is an absolute sleeper - superb lens. Long for a walkabout though.

If you can, and as others have said, the 12-40mm Pro is just superb. Simply the best lens in that focal range I have used on any system.

Simon.

another change of tack , taken on board the both the the 45mm and 60mm will be a bit long for general purpose work and as I don't really need pin sharp performance I'm now looking at the olympus 12-50 which will cover a multitude of sins .. I know its not got top ranking performance wise . but the range covered suits my needs and the price is within my range at the moment to .. ????

another change of tack , taken on board the both the the 45mm and 60mm will be a bit long for general purpose work and as I don't really need pin sharp performance I'm now looking at the olympus 12-50 which will cover a multitude of sins .. I know its not got top ranking performance wise . but the range covered suits my needs and the price is within my range at the moment to .. ????

The Panasonic 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 OIS and the Panasonic 12-60 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 OIS are probably better budget options here if you can't stretch to the Oly 12-40 f/2.8

Another under-rated lens by many accounts. I've heard it's not great at the longer end, bit dark and soft, but on the wider end it's very decent - it's weather sealed too which is great, or at least Olympus state 'dust and splash proof' - it can also focus in very close with 1:3 magnification so there's a lot to like about it

The Panasonic 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 OIS and the Panasonic 12-60 14-45 f/3.5-5.6 OIS are probably better budget options here if you can't stretch to the Oly 12-40 f/2.8
oops cheers iv'e totally forgotten that I have the Panasonic 12-60mm in my drawer ... saved me a big mistake there . back to plan A or plan B :olympus::beer::beer:

oops cheers iv'e totally forgotten that I have the Panasonic 12-60mm in my drawer ... saved me a big mistake there . back to plan A or plan B :olympus::beer::beer:

I wish I found lenses I forgot about in me drawers :D nice one, that is another I'd have suggested only you said you wanted an Oly

just been out and tested the 12-60mm panasonic , can't fault it many thanks Maarten saved me a few bob .. so now I have 12 to 60 covered plus 45mm and 60mm so now I need a plan C :exit:....
pic below from the front of my house looking across the dee estuary to parkgate on the wirral , Irish Sea about ten miles to the left of pic .. thinking cap back on tonight ....:naughty::naughty::naughty:

forgotten by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I did recommend it to you earlier. You really should read all the replies to your posts :p
Yeah I know bob ,heads up my arse at the moment though ,had another major heart scan yesterday and the a meeting with my cardio rehab lady this morning .. thinking logically won’t happen till I’m given the all clear

Yeah I know bob ,heads up my arse at the moment though ,had another major heart scan yesterday and the a meeting with my cardio rehab lady this morning .. thinking logically won’t happen till I’m given the all clear
At least it's not affecting your ability to take some great pics.

At least it's not affecting your ability to take some great pics.
head is spinning now with choices .. list of owned lenses below
panasonic PL 100-400
panasonic 12-60 kit lens
olympus 30mm macro ( freebie awaiting delivery)
vivitar 200mm f3.5 manual focus with adaptor to mft

all are good lenses , 99% of the time I shoot wildlife or macro ,so I'm pretty well covered for these subjects . notice there are no fast lenses in the lineup though hence my initial choice of the 45mm f1.8.. funds are limited so choosing the right lens is important as I cant throw my money around .. been hovering on a used 40-150 f 2.8 which I know is super but will I get the use out of it ? the 300mm f4 would be lovely but out of my price point at this moment in time .. any suggestions ??

do I stick with olympus lenses or go down the route of legacy lenses via adaptors

Last edited:
head is spinning now with choices .. list of owned lenses below
panasonic PL 100-400
panasonic 12-60 kit lens
olympus 30mm macro ( freebie awaiting delivery)
vivitar 200mm f3.5 manual focus with adaptor to mft

all are good lenses , 99% of the time I shoot wildlife or macro ,so I'm pretty well covered for these subjects . notice there are no fast lenses in the lineup though hence my initial choice of the 45mm f1.8.. funds are limited so choosing the right lens is important as I cant throw my money around .. been hovering on a used 40-150 f 2.8 which I know is super but will I get the use out of it ? the 300mm f4 would be lovely but out of my price point at this moment in time .. any suggestions ??

do I stick with olympus lenses or go down the route of legacy lenses via adaptors
Why do you feel you need more lenses?
The 40-150 f2.8 will be a great lens.
On my G80 I use my 12-60, 35-100 f2.8 and 100-400 zooms plus a 25mm f1.7
The 100-400 gets most use followed by the 12-60.
I bought the 35-100 so I had a faster zoom and thought at some point I'd get a 12-35 f2.8 and sell the 12-60.
That would leave 3 zooms covering 12-35, 35-100 and 100-400, with the 25mm as a walkabout lens.
Don't think I really need a 12-35mm 2.8 though tbh.
My 35-100 gets used mostly when I'm taking portraits of my grandkids etc so not in constant use.

Last edited:
EM1MK11 100-400

Grab shots of the first Tufted Ducks to return for winter on the lake, large crop as i knew the speed they fly especially with the wind up their arris if i took the time to zoom and reframe i would miss them.

P9070062.jpg

P9070063.jpg

Last edited:
hi guys
been looking online at om-d e-m1 mark 2 just out of curiosity
whats the story with it if its a 4 thirds sensor what size is that ?
whats the magnification with the lens's is it 1.5x like on my d500 or what
I've never looked at anything other than a dx or ff camera before
all this micro thirds -- four thirds is a bit confusing to me
can someone give me an explanation to it all
whats the lens range like ? are they expensive ?
thanks

hi guys
been looking online at om-d e-m1 mark 2 just out of curiosity
whats the story with it if its a 4 thirds sensor what size is that ?
whats the magnification with the lens's is it 1.5x like on my d500 or what
I've never looked at anything other than a dx or ff camera before
all this micro thirds -- four thirds is a bit confusing to me
can someone give me an explanation to it all
whats the lens range like ? are they expensive ?
thanks

The lens range as Bob said is good, it depends on what you want to shoot.

Back