Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Never be afraid to ask, that's what forums are for. It's never nice when you pay out for new gear and not getting the results you were hoping for. For what it's worth, I have the EM1-II and have been more than happy with the results, and for large parts are comparable to the images I get with full frame. I must admit, it took me a while to get the best out of the Olympus files, and I'm sure there's still room for improvement.

For best results you ideally want to shoot in raw and process yourself in something like Lightroom. I now have a preset for my Olympus files that I have created which I'm happy with and look as close as possible to my Nikon files. As a result I can just import with that preset and then PP is minimal, often just requiring a crop or WB change. When you start out Olympus files do need more processing than FF imo. For example my Olympus preset is much more 'aggressive' than my Nikon one, with heavy contrast and some clarity etc applied, as well as sharpening of course. With the Nikon file all I've done is use the camera standard profile, add +5 dehire and a touch or sharpening.
I have to say I have been happy with the results of some images after a certain amount of processing. (More than I am used too)

I had a canvas printed (trying out Trade Canvas Print) 30" X 20" of a cropped image I worked on in Capture One which has come out looking great. Proof that you can print to a reasonable size without issues from micro four thirds. IMG_20190917_130455.jpg

I have to say I have been happy with the results of some images after a certain amount of processing. (More than I am used too)

I had a canvas printed (trying out Trade Canvas Print) 30" X 20" of a cropped image I worked on in Capture One which has come out looking great. Proof that you can print to a reasonable size without issues from micro four thirds. View attachment 255564
Certainly can, here's my 75x50cm Olympus photo sat proudly between two of my D750 images at work.

IMG_7406
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Lovely stuff and good to see images getting printed

How's the quality at that width and was it Hi Res mode?

I would need to look back in LR to find the image to see if it was Hi res though I dont think it was though
Here are the Flickr versions
I dont sell my work but a woman joined Flickr to ask a for a 4 foot canvas of this shot

Crummock water Autumn reflections 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This is a handheld holiday snap

Banff and the bow river by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
some super stuff there

Realised I haven't posted anything around here lately, so here's some snaps from September ....

This is the MSC Gulsun, apparently the largest container ship in the world, docked at Felixstowe, which is close to me, but taken from Shotley peninsula which is the other side of the river. Don't look too close because this is 1 second hand-held and it's a bit fuzzy.

Whilst at Shotley this rather nice cruise ship was just leaving Harwich, which is the opposite side of the peninsula. Harwich and Felixstowe are a mile or so from each other as the crow flies (with Shotley sandwiched in-between), but an hour by road.

Back to the "day job" and went to Snetterton to see the cicuit Legends formula, which my step-son is hoping to compete in next year.

But on Sunday for a bit of fun he was out with his mates in their Rookie Rods at Yarmouth.

super set mark

Here are a couple of 120 cm (4 feet) wide canvases...

Those both look really good.

Out of interest who did you use for the printing?
Were there any issues with the end result vs. your digital file?

I have a space on the wall which I'd like to fill with a 100cm or so wide image, but I've only really sent out for 6x4.5 or 10x8 family pictures on photo paper so any pointers would be welcome!

Those both look really good.

Out of interest who did you use for the printing?
Were there any issues with the end result vs. your digital file?

I have a space on the wall which I'd like to fill with a 100cm or so wide image, but I've only really sent out for 6x4.5 or 10x8 family pictures on photo paper so any pointers would be welcome!

I had them printed by trade canvas and I am happy with them. Good quality at a good price

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/trade-canvas-print-canvas-product-photos.382984/

https://www.tradecanvasprint.co.uk/

Hi guys 'n gals

I have a bag question.........there are times when all I use are the long lens with and without a TC. Though end up taking the full kit bag and all that is required are spare SD and battery :)

I saw mention of the Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V2.0, does anyone use one of these bags that has an extendable section.......subject to checking dimensions I am wondering if one variant of this design will work for the E-M1MK2 plus either the 40-150 or the 300 plus as mentioned a TC as well??? And with the extension zipped up 'short' a good walkabout case with the 12-40 attached???

TIA for the insights :)

Bump............................anyone with some thoughts of this subject ;)

PS Only bumping because I thought it might have gotten a little lost :LOL: :whistle::help:

just downgraded my backpack to a Lowepro stealth reporter ,takes all my gear easily

..a bag question.....the Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V2.0, does anyone use one of these bags that has an extendable section.....I am wondering if one variant of this design will work for the E-M1MK2 plus either the 40-150 ? And with the extension zipped up 'short' a good walkabout case with the 12-40 attached???
That is the set-up that I use, and I am very pleased with it(y).
My E-M1ii plus 12-40 pro sits very comfortably in my size 10 bag without unzipping the extension; and with the 40-150 pro attached I simply open the extension to accommodate the extra length. It is a very good quality bag indeed IMHO.
(I also have a ThinkTank belt from which to hang the lenses not being used, as I also have a 7-14 ).

just downgraded my backpack to a Lowepro stealth reporter ,takes all my gear easily

Thanks Jeff, for now I don't have an issue carrying my gear based on the 12-40 plus one longer lens. I would not want to lug both long lenses..... weight wise that would feel like a return to lugging my Canon kit :(

That is the set-up that I use, and I am very pleased with it(y).
My E-M1ii plus 12-40 pro sits very comfortably in my size 10 bag without unzipping the extension; and with the 40-150 pro attached I simply open the extension to accommodate the extra length. It is a very good quality bag indeed IMHO.
(I also have a ThinkTank belt from which to hang the lenses not being used, as I also have a 7-14 ).

Thanks @doggel I need to confirm measurements re: a 300 plus x2 TC, max size :)

But I do have another question? When extended does it in any way "grab or snatch at" the 40-150 lens hood???

Last edited:
... When extended does it in any way "grab or snatch at" the 40-150 lens hood???
Short answer: NO. It is a very good unobstructive fit- neat but with adequate room for that lens, and there is no hint of contact between the zip and the lens.

For Box Brownie- here is a comparison of the 40-150 and the 300, but the former is shown without its hood fitted, while the latter does, but with the hood apparently fully extended. It looks too long to fit in the bag, but I do not know how long it actually is with hood folded in (as per the 40-150).Screenshot (13).png

oh dear ,hands up confession time ;; today I totally f***ed my settings thought I was being smart last night and applied high iso noise reduction leading to all shots with water in them (lots ) looking like a a piece of glass .. lesson learned and now re-set will also be adjusting my auto iso and shutter speed settings as I think there far to high .. we live and learn

NOW RE-SET and tested could kick myself need to get my brain in gear

Also lowered my upper auto iso and shutter speed settings by 50% or more as well

Last edited:
oh dear ,hands up confession time ;; today I totally f***ed my settings thought I was being smart last night and applied high iso noise reduction leading to all shots with water in them (lots ) looking like a a piece of glass .. lesson learned and now re-set will also be adjusting my auto iso and shutter speed settings as I think there far to high .. we live and learn

Also lowered my upper auto iso and shutter speed settings by 50% or more as well

I actually prefer a little noise to over smoothing of backdrops. I've done this myself, pushed the NR then masked it out on the subject, like a bird, but it can look a little strange if over done. It's getting the balance right is the key I think.

Reading through the comments there are so many Nikon fan boys doing comparisons it’s laughable ,and 90% of them haven’t got a clue what there on about ,having obviously never used a mft camera .. yes a 500mm prime would be nice albeit expensive , personally I just wish they would do another firmware update to get the pan/ Leica 100-400 working with full ibis in the Olympus bodies

As with all child photography, there is always the one who will not behave.

P9200174.jpg

If they did that it may effect there 150/400 tc lens sales Jeff
Rob.

At the Solheim Cup last week I was taking shots of the last practice day and the opening ceremony. Somehow I managed to set the output file type to small jpg and no ORF! Anyone want some thumbnails... I’ve pulled mine out!

If they did that it may effect there 150/400 tc lens sales Jeff
Rob.
I'm not sure it would tbh, I'm sure they'll be at different price points and you have your zoom folk and your prime folk ;)

Iv never been a fan of zooms but the 150/400 +tc appeals because of the range for birds, I have just bought the Sony a7 IV because of the new 200/600 should be here next week this range is ideal for birding.
Rob.

Iv never been a fan of zooms but the 150/400 +tc appeals because of the range for birds, I have just bought the Sony a7 IV because of the new 200/600 should be here next week this range is ideal for birding.
Rob.
Deeper pockets than me rob

Back