Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Superb tufted ducks shot mike

a black headed gull in flight shot , checking out the changes I made after Fridays messed up session ... seems to have worked a treat one out of a 24 shot burst all in critical focus so I now feel good about the up coming owl season. the marsh and buildings on the other side of the estuary are where the owls usually hunt i.e parkgate
practice makes perfect by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Surprise, surprise - I see E-Infinity now have Olympus lenses on their website - e.g. 300mm f4 at £1559 and 40-150mm f2.8 at £729!
Can't ever remember them stocking Olympus lenses before?

Surprise, surprise - I see E-Infinity now have Olympus lenses on their website - e.g. 300mm f4 at £1559 and 40-150mm f2.8 at £729!
good prices to, I have pondered the 40-150 a few times but can't logically see when I would use it ... and the 300 although desirable is out of pension range .. have to stick with the 100-400 till my boat comes in

Last edited:
good prices to, I have pondered the 40-150 a few times but can't logically see when I would use it ... and the 300 although desirable is out of pension range .. have to stick with the 100-400 till my boat comes in

I've got the 40-150mm f2.8, it's a fabulous lens - but, as you said, I use it so little!

just did a little test , to see how far I could crop a image . not the best light or the best settings but worth a try . first shot is 98% of the full shot second is it cropped in a bit pleased with the result from so small a sensor
full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

up and away by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

just did a little test , to see how far I could crop a image . not the best light or the best settings but worth a try . first shot is 98% of the full shot second is it cropped in a bit pleased with the result from so small a sensor
full size by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

up and away by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I concur, there is nothing to fear with cropping mFT Olympus files. I have used Topaz Gigapixel AI to successfully enlarge such crops ;)

Oh, the Kingfisher is superb :)

I'm back in M43 territory ..
Re-acquired Oly M1 mk2 and PL 100-400
Not the best ever Bee picture, but I gotta start somewhere

Bee (1) by Trevor, on Flickr
Think I saw that one coming LOL don’t forget the firmware update Trevor

Yep v3.1

I thought they always did? Seem to remember looking at the 12-40 on there, but I bought it from mpb as I was afraid of customs. I have been since told that einfinity are pretty good on that score

Here some photos taken by my rain-soaked EM1.2 at Aldershot yesterday.

The amount of spray was a challenge early on:-

The 40-150mm f/2.8 still did a good job resolving detail from one end of the track to the other:-

I do like to try reflections in puddles when there's so much water around, but really struggled to find an angle from the other side of the fence:-

My usual slow-shutter panning shots were a disaster, with the fencing at this track being so dense:-

Still, love how this camera just laughs at the rain!

It seems like the Oly owners are adding to their kit list really well... any GAS confessions in here?

Been investigating using four thirds to micro four thirds lens options via a adaptor , will probably go down this route at some time . The list of useable lenses isn't to bad .
But at the moment I’m pretty well stocked ... 100-400 , 12-60 pana. , 45mm f1.8 , 30mm macro due shortly, and a M/F 200mm f3.5 vivitar .. also got a full sized neewer flash as a slave f/gun (tested ) plus triggers (untested) .. logically hard to think of anything affordable that I might Need .
The new long lenses under development might be nice but going to be pricey ,and I’m turning out decent stuff with present gear so at the moment there’s no GAS

It will be interesting to see some results and have your observations.
I will update when I can.......I was hoping to have it in time for last week in the Camargue as a compliment to my 40-150 but had to be content with my x1.4 for that trip. There were times when it would have useful but c'est la vie!

It will be interesting to see some results and have your observations.

I have a few shots on Flickr with the 40-150mm f/2.8 + MC20 -> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHfwQpm

Not sure how representative they are, they're just some photos I took that I wanted to share, as opposed to demonstrate the MC20 specifically.

Whilst I'd say it's true the lens isn't as sharp with TC fitted as it is without, it's not by much, and not anything that can't be compensated for with a little PP. I have no hesitation using it if I need the reach.

I have a few shots on Flickr with the 40-150mm f/2.8 + MC20 -> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHfwQpm

Not sure how representative they are, they're just some photos I took that I wanted to share, as opposed to demonstrate the MC20 specifically.

Whilst I'd say it's true the lens isn't as sharp with TC fitted as it is without, it's not by much, and not anything that can't be compensated for with a little PP. I have no hesitation using it if I need the reach.
Look plenty sharp enough to me. Did you find sharpness dropped off shooting distant subjects as I've always found this with TC's?

They certainly look impressive.
I note that they are all with the 40-150mm f2.8 - does anyone have any shots with the 300mm f4 with the MC-20?

Did you find sharpness dropped off shooting distant subjects as I've always found this with TC's?

I've only really used it in anger at Snetterton, and when you're shooting far away cars / bikes at race circuits then atmospherics tend to play a role, but they would even with a longer lens and no TC I guess?

For the short time I had the Panasonic 100-400mm, and used it at Snetterton (and Cadwell), I'd say the 40-150mm f/2.8 + MC20 is "as good" at shooting the same subjects at the same distances. But that's only a feeling, I didn't have the Panny and the MC20 at the same time to do proper comparisons.

You then have obviously used the 100-400 so in your honest opinion is there any difference in focus speed with the t.c on the 150 .. obviously twitchy little birds or b.i.f need fast focussing ability

@the black fox not that I could tell, the 40-150mm f/2.8 is lightning fast, and fitting a TC to it seems to make no difference in that regard, but then I'm shooting cars and bikes, they're not so twitchy!!

I don't want to sound too disparaging of the Panasonic 100-400mm, I didn't have it for long, but I just couldn't get on with it, zoom ring too stiff, zoom action too long (the 40-150mm f/2.8 zooms fully in / out with a quarter turn), and because it extends when zooming it changes the balance of the camera as well as the aperture etc. But then I see other people doing great things with it, so I'm sure it's just me.

The 40-150 f/2.8 is such an amazing lens, and the internal zoom + constant aperture are under-rated benefits in my opinion, so fitting a TC to it for me is a no-brainer, if there's a degradation in image quality I (with my old eyes) can't see it, and if there's a slight loss of focus performance I (with my old reflexes) don't notice it. :D

I had the 40-150 f2.8 and TC got some cracking shots but it was just too short for me as a birding lens most of the time so re-bought the 100-400

I had the 40-150 f2.8 and TC got some cracking shots but it was just too short for me as a birding lens most of the time so re-bought the 100-400

I take it that TC was the x1.4 not the x2.0 ?

@the black fox not that I could tell, the 40-150mm f/2.8 is lightning fast, and fitting a TC to it seems to make no difference in that regard, but then I'm shooting cars and bikes, they're not so twitchy!!

I don't want to sound too disparaging of the Panasonic 100-400mm, I didn't have it for long, but I just couldn't get on with it, zoom ring too stiff, zoom action too long (the 40-150mm f/2.8 zooms fully in / out with a quarter turn), and because it extends when zooming it changes the balance of the camera as well as the aperture etc. But then I see other people doing great things with it, so I'm sure it's just me.

The 40-150 f/2.8 is such an amazing lens, and the internal zoom + constant aperture are under-rated benefits in my opinion, so fitting a TC to it for me is a no-brainer, if there's a degradation in image quality I (with my old eyes) can't see it, and if there's a slight loss of focus performance I (with my old reflexes) don't notice it. :D
With regards to the Panny zoom being stiff I've seen this reported a lot, but I wonder if it's because people don't release the zoom look properly? The reason I say this is that the zoom ring still turns in the lock position (although is stiff) and because it still turns they might actually not realise it's 'locked'. When mine's unlocked it's very easy to turn, and in fact I get lens creep when walking around with the zoom unlocked.

Hmm thanks for the reply . It does sound worth looking into , but at 300mm x2 ==600mm it still falls short of the 800mm reach of the P/L ..
Now to work out costs ??

Back