Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks. I'll keep a note of this guys website if I do decide to move over to Olympus.

Yeah, the menus are a bit daunting aren't they? As I get older the less I want to delve into menus to be honest. Did you get any responses to your query about L-plates for the OM1.2. ?
If I can figure it out unaided at 73 I’m sure you can

If I can figure it out unaided at 73 I’m sure you can
I'm in the same boat I'm afraid. I can figure out the Olympus menus but I don't like them (m5ii owner). Yes the cameras are endlessly customisable but so confusing and some times annoying (the grey matter doesn't allow me to retain as much info these days [emoji4]).
I was planning on getting the E-M1ii but as the back end of the year approaches and I don't tend to do as much photography at this time of year, I think I will now wait and see what the M5iii has to offer when it comes out and then maybe run it alongside my Nikon gear, I can't quite bring myself to sell that yet.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of detail I'm getting from my Loaner OM1D Mk2 / 12 - 100 f4 zoom.........
This does not surprise me! I have the 12-40 and it is superb, the 12-100 by all accounts is stellar :)

@jerry12953 re: L-plate post question....unless any post slipped my attention, no one has 'replied'. I had previously looked into this and make was perfect as all restricted the usage of the rear screen manipulation. The 3leggedthing model appears to be one of the best i.e. the screen can at least be laid flat when swung out.......but that still means useless for low down or higher up "arms length" situations are not covered! C'est la vie.

@jerry12953 For back button focusing you go into menu A1 then AEL/AFL, then set it up for each type of focusing e.g. C-Af then choose Mode 4 or mode 3 depending on whether you want it to meter on the half way press of the shutter button.

You have to set it up for each type of focusing which has caught me out in the past when I've gone to S-Af as I usually just use C-Af.

I'm not sure whether under the buttons menu B you have to have Button Function set to AEL/AFL as well or not. If it doesn't work, check you have this set, as I have.

This does not surprise me! I have the 12-40 and it is superb, the 12-100 by all accounts is stellar :)

@jerry12953 re: L-plate post question....unless any post slipped my attention, no one has 'replied'. I had previously looked into this and make was perfect as all restricted the usage of the rear screen manipulation. The 3leggedthing model appears to be one of the best i.e. the screen can at least be laid flat when swung out.......but that still means useless for low down or higher up "arms length" situations are not covered! C'est la vie.

I'm glad you've reminded me to was that kind of L-Plate. For a while I was thinking "the menus and customisation are so complex, I need an L-Plate to show I'm still learning"! :oops: :$

I'm glad you've reminded me to was that kind of L-Plate. For a while I was thinking "the menus and customisation are so complex, I need an L-Plate to show I'm still learning"! :oops: :$

;) :thinking: :D

O.k lads HELP NEEDED omd1-mkii users
I have just bought a Olympus 50-200 f2.8 lens .super happy it’s in a1 condition .. now having previously used the Panasonic 100-400 I had the camera set to lens I.s priority . Do I now switch that off to get I.b.i.s .
just found there help line phone number ,just leave it switched on was the answer

Last edited:
as posted above as many of you know I have been using the panasonic 100-400 since buying the camera . it however does have its limitations i.e its minimum aperture is f6.3 which unless in bright sunlight makes using a high i.s.o a necessary evil , I can get over a lot of it in p.p but its still a pain in low light often needing 6400 i.s.o .

the way round it obviously would be a 300mm f4 but that is unfortunately out of reach of my pension pot even for a grey import ..

I then looked at the 40-150 f 2.8 but again far to expensive and limited range ... even with t/c's

last week I stumbled across a article about using the slightly older four thirds lenses with the MKii bodies via a adaptor with no loss of functions . so I then investigated further .. one of the lenses being a 50-200mm f2.8 SWM which seemed to fit the bill plus it will take the again older and cheaper t.c's .

after a bit of research it narrowed down to two versions the SWM or the earlier non version the latter not being noted as a wildlife lens .. I searched out e/bay initially with lots of overpriced items then did a search on the u.k dealer sites and found one in as new condition 9+ on WEX .at I might add a cheaper price than any e.bay ones with 12 months warranty as well . bought it along with a olympus MMF-3 adaptor rather than a cheap Chinese knock off .. it arrived this morning and initial testing shows it to be working perfectly .. hoping for a couple of hours out later to test it properly .. will update later

to sum up anyone thats tight on funds this is a excellent way to upgrade your lens catalogue with cheapness and quality they often don't go together

Last edited:
due to heavy rain stopping play I have been reduced shooting through my double glazed window at garden ornaments , tried the same object (frog) at different apertures with a auto iso set and a minimum 1/500TH shutter speed quiet interesting as no.2 at f4.5 looks the best to me..although TBH there's not that much between any of them .. so looks like a good buy to me
frog 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

frog 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

frog 3 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like a keeper.
yes I think it is , a very cheap way into olympus pro lenses .. the rest of the set were all good to, nothing worth shouting about but proved I haven't wasted my money on a hairy scary idea

Does anyone know, is it possible to link the focus points to the orientation of the camera on the Em1ii - as I can do on my Canon?

This young lad today was doing such big jumps I was having to make my camera portrait mode so that I didn't lose the sea below and it was a pain shifting my focus point around. I guess I probably could have set the home function, but if it could be linked that would make life easier. This was with the 300 f/4. I guess using the 40-150 would mean I could fit him in by zooming out.

Does the Em1x link them? Lately I seem to use the camera in portrait mode a fair bit and now I quite fancy the idea of a battery grip.... or upgrading to the Em1x

191004104355-BC040897.jpg191004105922-BC041020.jpg

If you can afford a e.mix then it’s a no brainer really especially now the price has dropped

If you can afford a e.mix then it’s a no brainer really especially now the price has dropped

Back to big heavy cameras though.

With the new lens would you test if you can get pro-capture low with it when you get a chance.

With the new lens would you test if you can get pro-capture low with it when you get a chance.
IMO the weight is noticeable, nearly as heavy as the D850.

Is that on b.i.f mike took over 300 shots this Morning lost about 35 due to o.o.f the rest look superb . So do I need to play what will pro capture low give me ?.. ?

Is that on b.i.f mike took over 300 shots this Morning lost about 35 due to o.o.f the rest look superb . So do I need to play what will pro capture low give me ?.. ?

Pro-capture is for recording shots before you press the shutter, i know that lens will do pro-capture high but that is only with AF-S low uses AF-C.

Last edited:
Fantastic results there Jeff, the old Oly 50-200 2.8 was one I was really keane on when i shot M43, but after reading up on it only the em1mkII is suitable or the AF would be painfully slow. I've seen reviews on it suggesting it's even better/sharper than the 50-140 which is high praise indeed.

Fantastic results there Jeff, the old Oly 50-200 2.8 was one I was really keane on when i shot M43, but after reading up on it only the em1mkII is suitable or the AF would be painfully slow. I've seen reviews on it suggesting it's even better/sharper than the 50-140 which is high praise indeed.
. Not really pushed it yet to get its full potential Keith , but it’s looking good I.q wise , will try it later in the week with caf+tracking as that doesn’t work with the Panasonic lens just caf ... certaintly a cheap way into pro grade lenses less than a quarter the price of a 40-150 2.8 MFT .. think this is gonna be my leave on the camera lens .. just need a 1.4 tc now

just put in CAF+tracking it seems to work o.k only tried it on the tree tops moving in the wind but the box stayed locked on as I swung from left to right with the camera .. will test on the obligatory gulls later ..

I would agree with that. I tried it on a m5 and the focus was slow.

I would agree with that. I tried it on a m5 and the focus was slow.
its fast on the omd1-mkii (firmware upgraded) though instant lock on , as good as MFT primes . this will now become my go to lens.....

really really impressed by the clarity of image and DOF subject separation .. totally bouncing with this purchase... I must add yesterday was dull and overcast to so doubly impressed

Last edited:
its fast on the omd1-mkii (firmware upgraded) though instant lock on , as good as MFT primes . this will now become my go to lens.....

really really impressed by the clarity of image and DOF subject separation .. totally bouncing with this purchase... I must add yesterday was dull and overcast to so doubly impressed
Fabulous shots, I'd be buzzing :D

Interesting that you can fit the 1.4 teleconverter on adapted lenses.

Interesting that you can fit the 1.4 teleconverter on adapted lenses.
And the 2X to make it equal to the Panasonic .100-400 BTW I got hold of the Olympus help line you don’t have to change any settings in camera to get full I.b.i.s

Back