Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I see the horizon, looks better straightened up (I swear it was wonky when I was standing there though) Adjusted the colour a little also.

Langard 01 v2 by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

.... Personally I like this much more - The foliage colours look more natural. At the risk of sounding pedantic there are now some uneven dark edges to the vertical sides when seen on white background such as here on TP.

There no wire there, where you looking? (Might be something I need to tone down a bit)
Straight line across the screen just under blue tent ?ah it could be a footpath ? In fact if you cropped the picture making just the top bit above that line the subject matter it would make it imho

Last edited:
Straight line across the screen just under blue tent ?ah it could be a footpath ? In fact if you cropped the picture making just the top bit above that line the subject matter it would make it imho

Looks like a kerb edging or possibly a pipe, neither photo looks very natural to me.
Maybe one of those that just doesn't look great whatever is done to it.

That's the top of a large concrete wall, part of the sea defence. It does distract a little for sure, might experiment with that a bit.

Looks like a kerb edging or possibly a pipe, neither photo looks very natural to me.
Maybe one of those that just doesn't look great whatever is done to it.
That was my concern, the first looking to off normal. Was trying a variety of things but either doesn't work or needs more work.

That's the top of a large concrete wall, part of the sea defence. It does distract a little for sure, might experiment with that a bit.

.... I quickly realised it's part of the landscape and personally don't have a problem with it - It is what it is. The more people you ask, the more different opinions you'll get.

In fact if you cropped the picture making just the top bit above that line the subject matter it would make it imho

.... I think this would make it a stronger picture and the fishing tents on the beach would become more obvious < A good thing.

.... Hi Mike!
There is absolutely no doubt about the image quality of D-SLR and full-frame sensors (I shoot Canon and don't know the Nikon D500 sensor size) but yesterday I was able to comfortably walk a round trip of just under 5 miles carrying my Olympus E-M1X + ED 300mm F/4 PRO on my Peak Design strap + Acratech A-S clamp across my chest and my ED 40-150mm + 1.4x in my Lowepro Lens Exchange 200AW bag (a perfect fit) across the other side of my chest [ X style ]. So in D-SLR equivalent I had lens power of 80-300mm / 112-420mm zoom and 600mm / 840mm prime and all completely weatherproof and it got fully tested on a moderately windy beach in the rain while photographing surfers.

This is the first image I have shot in decent light and who is saying that m4/3 can't offer smooth bokeh!? < It's up to the photographer to choose their shooting position if circumstances allow. I'm told my images look better on Flickr, so click to view :

&quot;HEY DUDE! NICE CAMERA!&quot; by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Lest we forget, all those nice lenses fit a Pen F too, which is the coolest camera to be seen with, and fits in your pocket.

Anyone seen the huge firmware update that Panasonic just announced for the G9 today. It's very impressive - the highlights:
  • 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording and 10bit 4:2:2 60/50P externally
  • VFR for videos (FHD 2-180 FPS, 4k 2-60fps)
  • Animal detect AF
  • V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).
  • It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.
As an Olympus EM1 MK II and EM1-X shooter, I was already quite jealous of the G9 for it's 4k 50/60fps recording, now it seems for video at least, even the G9 (without even considering the GH5(s) models) are really leaving Olympus in the dust. :(

Anyone seen the huge firmware update that Panasonic just announced for the G9 today. It's very impressive - the highlights:
  • 10bit 4:2:2 internal recording and 10bit 4:2:2 60/50P externally
  • VFR for videos (FHD 2-180 FPS, 4k 2-60fps)
  • Animal detect AF
  • V-Log L recording and Waveform Monitor (WFM) are available with the Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 (sold separately).
  • It is possible to switch the subject to focus on by pressing the joystick in [Face/Eye/Body/Animal Detect] mode.
As an Olympus EM1 MK II and EM1-X shooter, I was already quite jealous of the G9 for it's 4k 50/60fps recording, now it seems for video at least, even the G9 (without even considering the GH5(s) models) are really leaving Olympus in the dust. :(

.... Oooh, Animal Detect AF sounds good to me as a wildlife shooter. This surely means that it will be included in the next M1X firmware update.

Looking at my recent shots of some dogs with Eye/Face Priority AF enabled, the eyes are sharp but as I am still only a few days old with Olympus I don't know if this Priority was applied. It's a long learning curve (but an enjoyable one).

.... Oooh, Animal Detect AF sounds good to me as a wildlife shooter. This surely means that it will be included in the next M1X firmware update.

Looking at my recent shots of some dogs with Eye/Face Priority AF enabled, the eyes are sharp but as I am still only a few days old with Olympus I don't know if this Priority was applied. It's a long learning curve (but an enjoyable one).
Should have several options in the menu robin I.e both eyes ,left or right etc

Should have several options in the menu robin I.e both eyes ,left or right etc

.... Yes, page 133 of the M1X Manual PDF - Cheers!

However, I think that setting it for left or right eye is only practical if doing portraits of obedient creatures such as model girls, friends, and some animal pets if well trained! Otherwise I currently have it set on the nearest eye to camera but think I'll switch it off until I specifically want it - "Hey babe, give me a three-quarter sultry look ... Oh okay, a glare looks good too".

The reviews I've seen of the new animal eye detect on the Sony's suggest that it slows down the AF so much that its only of real use for static portraits of animals. Still potentially of use of course, but maybe not for the times when you would most want it.

As an aside, did you look at the Thomas Stirr blog post where he has some success with the airplane mode and flying birds?

The reviews I've seen of the new animal eye detect on the Sony's suggest that it slows down the AF so much that its only of real use for static portraits of animals. Still potentially of use of course, but maybe not for the times when you would most want it.

As an aside, did you look at the Thomas Stirr blog post where he has some success with the airplane mode and flying birds?

.... Hi Graham, yes I did and have bookmarked it and read it a couple of times - Thanks, very useful. I currently have my Fn-lever #2 set to CF-T tracking in airplane mode. #1 is set to SF and I shoot back-button-focus via the AEL/AFL button. All Manual-mode but Auto ISO.

I haven't nailed birds in flight yet but it'll come.

.... Hi Graham, yes I did and have bookmarked it and read it a couple of times - Thanks, very useful. I currently have my Fn-lever #2 set to CF-T tracking in airplane mode. #1 is set to SF and I shoot back-button-focus via the AEL/AFL button. All Manual-mode but Auto ISO.

I haven't nailed birds in flight yet but it'll come.

For BIF think star wars and use the force;)

Taken with my favorite lens. Olympus 45mm 1.8

Autumn Muncher by Skyline:), on Flickr
Nice picture, it's a nice lens colours great. (I want to apply a Pokémon style attitude to Olympus lenses and collect them all but the wife is less keen on that)

My squirrel managed to eat/stash 6kg of peanuts over a month, won't try that again will become an expensive hobby.

Anyone tried astrophotography with m4/3, what are the results like? I’m off to Cape Verde soon and just found out it’s a great place for “star gazing” so thought I might have a go at astro. I’d be using the 12-40mm f2.8.
The 12-40 is more than capable, even a cheap fisheye will do the job. My preferred are the PL15mm 1.7 and the Oly 8mm FE. The attached are stacked in Sequator/Starry Landscape and are the 12-40 and the Samyang 7.5, SOOC was fine.

P8260864-Edit.jpg

P8250786-Edit.jpg

I sold my 45mm f1.8 to .. needs must been buying to much other stuff lately . Got four lenses now though .

.... I quickly realised it's part of the landscape and personally don't have a problem with it - It is what it is. The more people you ask, the more different opinions you'll get.

.... I think this would make it a stronger picture and the fishing tents on the beach would become more obvious < A good thing.
Slight delay with this, here it is with a crop. Liked all the feedback, lots of points of view. I tried something new so was looking for lots of opinions.

landguard_crop by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

Slight delay with this, here it is with a crop. Liked all the feedback, lots of points of view. I tried something new so was looking for lots of opinions.

landguard_crop by Jonathan Fussell, on Flickr

The sky doesn't work for me either. Sorry. It has two or three jet trails running across it and even without them its not eitheriInteresting enough or uninteresting enough. If that makes any sense.......

.... Hmm, I think I may have been wrong in suggesting a crop. Unless you further crop almost half the sky. But, the lower part (foreground) not cropped out actually makes a better overall picture I now think as it shows the whole scene and its atmosphere.

Bottom line is of course that it only matters which you personally prefer Jonathan.

I agree with Robin ,it is far better now you can see the fishermen as it shows whats going on more just to much sky .
Rob.

.... Hmm, I think I may have been wrong in suggesting a crop. Unless you further crop almost half the sky. But, the lower part (foreground) not cropped out actually makes a better overall picture I now think as it shows the whole scene and its atmosphere.

Bottom line is of course that it only matters which you personally prefer Jonathan.
I don't prefer the crop, neither do I dislike it. What I needed was either a longer lens or the small bump/hill (stretch to call it that) I was standing on top of, been a little nearer.

The experiment was my first attempt using 5 exposures, hand held merged together. The crop was a little noisy after so I removed the noise and made some contrast adjustments after. It made me confident of some situations I can push things a bit further with the EM1 mkii that I wouldn't of before. Also mixing a variety of tools in the post processing has worked well.

Last edited:
Sorry Jon, sticking my what I said earlier about it just not working. had one similar recently myself
Tried all sorts, but nothing I did made it much better, happens like that sometimes
Always good to try new things and the knowledge gained will undoubtedly come in handy

Sorry Jon, sticking my what I said earlier about it just not working. had one similar recently myself
Tried all sorts, but nothing I did made it much better, happens like that sometimes
Always good to try new things and the knowledge gained will undoubtedly come in handy
Agreed, every comment & the process has been really useful, thanks all.

Where did you get blue skies ,been peeing down here all day LOL

Nice picture, it's a nice lens colours great. (I want to apply a Pokémon style attitude to Olympus lenses and collect them all but the wife is less keen on that)

My squirrel managed to eat/stash 6kg of peanuts over a month, won't try that again will become an expensive hobby.

Squirrels in my garden get Aldi 70p cornflakes if they're lucky :LOL:

Don't say that, I've just sold mine :facepalm: :LOL:

Nice pic, can't believe you got so close. The squirrels that come to our garden flit as soon as you get within about 20-25ft :(

Quick, buy it back :)

The trick to getting a squirrel that close is........................ I go to Greenwich Park. The squirrels will take food out your hand there :D

As an Olympus newbie I think this photo is proving to me that my Olympus small m4/3 sensor can deliver results up to the standard of my Canon full-frame sensor camera. There is no such thing as the perfect camera but just Horses-for-Courses. Olympus handheld telephoto power plus very serious weatherproofing is utterly liberating.

THE AWESOME PLUMAGE OF A STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO LIKES AND/OR COMMENTS ON MY PICTURES - IT IS ALWAYS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED]

As an Olympus newbie I think this photo is proving to me that my Olympus small m4/3 sensor can deliver results up to the standard of my Canon full-frame sensor camera. There is no such thing as the perfect camera but just Horses-for-Courses. Olympus handheld telephoto power plus very serious weatherproofing is utterly liberating.

THE AWESOME PLUMAGE OF A STARLING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[THANKS TO EVERYBODY WHO LIKES AND/OR COMMENTS ON MY PICTURES - IT IS ALWAYS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED]
That's superb Robin.

Back