Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

robin you do seem to be spouting on without using the product .. lets put it to bed now I believe some very early PL-100-400 DID have problems ,but it was sorted the later lenses have a smooth zoom and till now I have not had a problem with mine .. also when used on a olympus body simply set the ibis to lens priority then if its switched off on the lens at any time it simply reverts back to ibis ... simples init either or work nicely and the close focus switch i.e full focus limits is ideal for butterfly and insect photography in the summer if you wish to travel light ... heres one I took with the panasonic g80 body but it would be the same with a Olly body ..
my main reason for switching to olympus beside health issues was the fact I already had the 100-400 and knew how good it was .
lady love by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Further to my posts about my dead E-M1 yesterday, I can confirm that leaving the camera unpowered for 24-hours didn't help. So I'll be looking into the costs of repair.

I'm using the MyOlympus website to try to get it started, but it's a lousy site, and when I get to the 'Submit' button, I get error messages about "not able to connect to forum" (paraphrased). Have sent an email to Customer Services and hope a human gets involved.

Further to my posts about my dead E-M1 yesterday, I can confirm that leaving the camera unpowered for 24-hours didn't help. So I'll be looking into the costs of repair.

I'm using the MyOlympus website to try to get it started, but it's a lousy site, and when I get to the 'Submit' button, I get error messages about "not able to connect to forum" (paraphrased). Have sent an email to Customer Services and hope a human gets involved.

That's a shame, is there no way you can send it back as DoA under the distance selling regulations

Private seller, so no. Just one of those things when you try and save cash!

Private seller, so no. Just one of those things when you try and save cash!

Not something i could recommend and it would be at your risk but, some have reported success by turning the camera on and giving it a sharp bang on a desk on the bottom of the camera, obviously keeping it flat.

As i say not tried it only read about it.

Not something i could recommend and it would be at your risk but, some have reported success by turning the camera on and giving it a sharp bang on a desk on the bottom of the camera, obviously keeping it flat.

As i say not tried it only read about it.

It's not a bad idea. As I mentioned yesterday, the camera worked fine when I picked it up and did some test shots, but failed as soon as it was out of the bag in just-above-zero degrees. Could be that some contraction of materials has created a mechanical obstruction. Perhaps a sharp impact could reset that?

robin you do seem to be spouting on without using the product .. lets put it to bed now I believe some very early PL-100-400 DID have problems ,but it was sorted the later lenses have a smooth zoom and till now I have not had a problem with mine .. also when used on a olympus body simply set the ibis to lens priority then if its switched off on the lens at any time it simply reverts back to ibis ... simples init either or work nicely and the close focus switch i.e full focus limits is ideal for butterfly and insect photography in the summer if you wish to travel light ... heres one I took with the panasonic g80 body but it would be the same with a Olly body ..
my main reason for switching to olympus beside health issues was the fact I already had the 100-400 and knew how good it was .

I can confirm there were issues with the PL100-400 and Oly bodies.

My mate @flashp bought the body and lens and when mounted the lens found it really stiff.
Upon dismounting it there were pieces of plastic from the Oly body sheared off which fell out of the body.

Needless to say they both went back.

It's probably going to be an impressive price as well! :police:

.... On the basis of the costs of the other Olympus ED PRO lenses my guess is about £3.5k and not more than £4k. When you are used to the costs of Canon L lenses and also still have some high-end Canon gear to sell, it should be easily affordable.

That would be a extremely sensible move on the part of Olympus . Let’s wait and see

My mate @flashp bought the body and lens and when mounted the lens found it really stiff.
Upon dismounting it there were pieces of plastic from the Oly body sheared off which fell out of the body.

Yes that would be very off putting , it would be good to know if the lens and camera bodies in question were early generation or recent purchases . From my own experiences I bought the lens around April 2018 brand new u.k model . It was initially fitted to a new Panasonic G80 and then also used on a Olympus omd10-mkii (both bodies now sold ) with no problems on either body ... I then purchased the omd1-mkii in sept this year again with no problems in use or fitting at all ..
It would be interesting to know whether in fact your friends lens and body were new generation or older models and whether or not they were grey imports ..

The reason for the last comment being that I have a slight suspicion that the crack down on grey sellers which has taken place quietly this year ,leads me to suspect that maybe sub standard bodies have been detected in the system. I.e factory in China shut new one opened up in Vietnam .

It would be human nature for some dodgy dealing to have taken place under those circumstances ,although no company would admit to it openly ??

.... Thanks Graham, I had indeed thought of the third-party lenses as being like Sigma and Tamron < Good lenses (some) but with definite limitations. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

And thanks @snerkler for Reply #17,237 (that's a lot of posts!!!) - I am learning new things about m4/3 every day.

I'm going to wait for the Olympus ED 150-400mm+1.25x F/4.5 PRO expected next summer. When the built-in 1.25x is switched on the widest aperture becomes F/5.6. So that becomes 1000mm @F/5.6 plus all the extreme weatherproofing < All very attractive and much lighter weight and smaller than my old Canon EF 500mm F/4L II + 2x (now sold but much loved).
Is that the new lens which is white? Does that mean it's has some fluorite elements in it? (Like Canon)

Is that the new lens which is white? Does that mean it's has some fluorite elements in it? (Like Canon)

All the images so far, and display versions, have been white - however, according to Park Cameras website you can pre-order a black version.
No details have yet been published on the construction of the lens (at least I can't find any!).

Last edited:
All the images so far, and display versions, have been white - however, according to Park Cameras website you can pre-order a black version.
No details have yet been published on the construction of the lens (at least I can't find any!).

.... I couldn't find anything on Park Cameras website.

I think we can simply expect the best that Olympus can design and produce. Afterall the ED PRO range is their flagship. And they are taking a lot of notice of what other camera system manufacturers are offering regardless of different size formats. On the basis of how good the existing ED PRO lenses are, this forthcoming 150-400mm looks very exciting.

I’ve not seen plastic shearing off but have certainly seen photos of metal shards coming off the lens mount, not good. I believe that’s all been sorted now though.
.... On the basis of the costs of the other Olympus ED PRO lenses my guess is about £3.5k and not more than £4k. When you are used to the costs of Canon L lenses and also still have some high-end Canon gear to sell, it should be easily affordable.
That’s where I think it’ll be price wise too.
Yes that would be very off putting , it would be good to know if the lens and camera bodies in question were early generation or recent purchases . From my own experiences I bought the lens around April 2018 brand new u.k model . It was initially fitted to a new Panasonic G80 and then also used on a Olympus omd10-mkii (both bodies now sold ) with no problems on either body ... I then purchased the omd1-mkii in sept this year again with no problems in use or fitting at all ..
It would be interesting to know whether in fact your friends lens and body were new generation or older models and whether or not they were grey imports ..

The reason for the last comment being that I have a slight suspicion that the crack down on grey sellers which has taken place quietly this year ,leads me to suspect that maybe sub standard bodies have been detected in the system. I.e factory in China shut new one opened up in Vietnam .

It would be human nature for some dodgy dealing to have taken place under those circumstances ,although no company would admit to it openly ??
I’ve not seen that about cracking down on grey imports tbh. My understanding was that they’re all off the same production line though?
AFAIK the colour of the lens is not dictated by it containing fluorite, Nikon have fluorite teles that are black (y)

.... Thanks for that link Malcolm :).

I intentionally don't shop at Park Cameras anymore - WEX and HDEW are my favoured retailers. I expect that Park are advertising it now to gauge interest and so decide how many units their first batch of stock order should be. WEX may do the same but they usually wait until a price is known and advertise it to customers as a pre-order. HDEW won't advertise it until they know they have it actually available in their supply channels.

I’ve not seen that about cracking down on grey imports tbh. My understanding was that they’re all off the same production line though?

.... ALL Olympus, and other brand, cameras/lenses originate from their official manufacturing production lines. And hence Olympus have control over and are responsible for their own standards. 'Grey' imports (all cameras/lenses are imported to the UK) are simply via different retail channels but PLEASE let us NOT start a debate about some imports being a naughty 50 shades of grey - It's almost as bad as arguing about Brexit and never ends well! Start another thread if you want to argue about grey imports please < Not addressed to you 'snerkler' or specifically anyone else here.

Last edited:
Seriously considering getting the 40-150 pro lens instead of the 100-400 PL and having had the 50-140 for the X-T3 I think it will suit me better and its faster its just a pity it wont work with the 1.4tc that would have solved all my problems.

Edit: just looked and it is compatible ;)

Last edited:
So, 1:1 shot? :p
No just messing around Pete . Got a bit of a bug at the moment so will do proper testing when I feel like getting off my bum

Seriously considering getting the 40-150 pro lens instead of the 100-400 PL and having had the 50-140 for the X-T3 I think it will suit me better and its faster its just a pity it wont work with the 1.4tc that would have solved all my problems

.... Although I have never used the PL 100-400mm I own the ED 40-150mm PRO and I am not the only user who reports it is excellent. I have gone and forgotten which Olympus body you have bought (E-M1?) but if you shoot wildlife or outdoors in the UK you may have noticed how much wet weather we are getting and personally I find that having the peace of mind that both my camera body and lenses have such extreme weatherproofing is very enabling. I find rain covers fiddly and have lost shots due to them, especially on a zoom lens.

Which brings me to another plus about the Olympus 40-150mm PRO that the zoom action is not a 'trombone', the lens stays the same overall length. Furthermore, the aperture can remain a constant F/2.8. I don't know how the PL 100-400mm compares with those ED PRO features I have mentioned.

I have bought camera gear from HDEW for years and can strongly recommend them. Their prices are always super competitive and worth the wait of up to 5 days following payment.

They offer it bundled with the MC-14 TC for £959 : https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olymp...8-pro--14x-teleconverter-mc-14-kit-2982-p.asp

Or just the lens for £749 : https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-40-150mm-f28-pro-2885-p.asp

They do not do part-exchange whereas WEX and others do but you could offer your mint PL 100-400mm on TalkPhotography's Classifieds for a better price.

I hope this helps,
Robin

Btw, this is what an equivalent 840mm reach looks like on the ED 300mm F/4 PRO + MC-14 TC :

WET WEATHERPROOFING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Seriously considering getting the 40-150 pro lens instead of the 100-400 PL and having had the 50-140 for the X-T3 I think it will suit me better and its faster its just a pity it wont work with the 1.4tc that would have solved all my problems.

Why not take the route I have it’s one hell of a lot cheaper I investigated and found that four thirds pro lenses worked very well on the mkii .. so I got a 50-200SWD +a MMF3 adaptor + a EC14tc that lot cost me under £400 from Wex with a years warranty . And rest assured it’s lighting fast .only downside I had to micro adjust it the 1.4 fitted easy job to

I have the MKII Robin and I think the 40-150 pro and 1,4tc will do all I need, I do have the 45F1.8 which is surprisingly a damn fine lens for the money, but could do with something a lot wider, will have to keep my eyes open and see what is available after Xmas.

.... Thanks for that link Malcolm :).

I intentionally don't shop at Park Cameras anymore - WEX and HDEW are my favoured retailers. I expect that Park are advertising it now to gauge interest and so decide how many units their first batch of stock order should be. WEX may do the same but they usually wait until a price is known and advertise it to customers as a pre-order. HDEW won't advertise it until they know they have it actually available in their supply channels.

.... ALL Olympus, and other brand, cameras/lenses originate from their official manufacturing production lines. And hence Olympus have control over and are responsible for their own standards. 'Grey' imports (all cameras/lenses are imported to the UK) are simply via different retail channels but PLEASE let us NOT start a debate about some imports being a naughty 50 shades of grey - It's almost as bad as arguing about Brexit and never ends well! Start another thread if you want to argue about grey imports please < Not addressed to you 'snerkler' or specifically anyone else here.
That’s what I thought, which is why I don’t understand some saying you get sub par products. They’ve all been the same from my experience (y)

The 40-150mm f2.8 is compatible with 1.4x and 2x TC, although from the shots I’ve seen using it with the 2x TC does soften it quite a bit.
I have the MKII Robin and I think the 40-150 pro and 1,4tc will do all I need, I do have the 45F1.8 which is surprisingly a damn fine lens for the money, but could do with something a lot wider, will have to keep my eyes open and see what is available after Xmas.
if I was in the market for a fast ‘portrait’ m4/3 lens I wouldn’t look any further than the Panny Leica 42.5mm f1.2. Cracking lens with great ‘character’ and subject ‘pop’

The Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2 by Panasonic, was and still is my favourite M4/3 portrait lens very closely followed by the Olympus 75mm F1.8

shown mounted on my old GX8

Last edited:
Wex no longer selling 300mm f4

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/olymp...66c20b567d5511db9f3839ba6d53bd5&utm_source=aw

And its discontinued

View attachment 261163

Strange, bet its a mistake

First saw this mentioned on DPReview, for sure looks odd for a few reasons. Including that the Olympus webshop still lists it though with, for them, a short delay on delivery

Edit ~ at DPReview I posted:-
I find it hard to believe that Olympus have ceased manufacturing this lens

Still for sale in their own webshop

https://shop.olympus.eu/en_GB/lenses/om-d-pen-lenses/m-zuiko-digital-ed-300mm-f4-is-pro

Hmmmm! just maybe Wex are unable to get the reseller discount they want(?) So they are discontinuing it...... though their phrasing, as noted, leaves an odd "message".

Edit~ LCE show stock at £1679 Inc Black Friday 20% discount !

NB I think I recall reading of an HK based grey seller dropping Nikon 'because they could not source stock.....' i.e. they discontinued Nikon

Last edited:
and amazon u.k are doing them for £1599 perhaps wex have seen there bum because they cant get them at that price..

reading between the lines its more to do with wholesale prices than anything else .. totally no point stocking something if your competitors can sell it cheaper than you can buy it wholesale

Last edited:

I purchased my Panasonic 100-400 less than a month ago and haven’t yet experienced any of the aforementioned issues with it.
As already stated, there is a zoom lock (not really a lock but more of a resistance barrier to avoid lens creep) and it zooms smoothly when unlocked and will still move when the lock is on. Mine is currently being used on my EM10 mkiii and there aren’t compatibility issues with it.
It mounts nicely on the camera body and doesn’t appear to be tight so I’m assuming the earlier issues have been resolved. If not I must have a good one!

Last edited:
I think its a problem only on the EM-1 MK2 Chris and after reading some horror stories and seeing some very badly damaged lens mounts, I have decided to stick with Olympus lenses for now, I will keep an eye for a 100-400 and will probably end up owning one, but for now 40-150 will be fine with a TC

I purchased my Panasonic 100-400 less than a month ago and haven’t yet experienced any of the aforementioned issues with it.
As already stated, there is a zoom lock (not really a lock but more of a resistance barrier to avoid lens creep) and it zooms smoothly when unlocked and will still move when the lock is on. Mine is currently being used on my EM10 mkiii and there aren’t compatibility issues with it.
It mounts nicely on the camera body and doesn’t appear to be tight so I’m assuming the earlier issues have been resolved. If not I must have a good one!

Agree entirely with this - no problems with this lens.
The problem being talked about is from several years ago, and appears to be fully sorted.

I think its a problem only on the EM-1 MK2 Chris and after reading some horror stories and seeing some very badly damaged lens mounts, I have decided to stick with Olympus lenses for now, I will keep an eye for a 100-400 and will probably end up owning one, but for now 40-150 will be fine with a TC
nope your another one running the lens down on hearsay , as I have stated I have used mine on a panasonic G80 , a friends G9 , a olympus omd10-mkii ,and now on my own omd1-mkii I can categorically state it performs faultlessly ...its only fault being it doesn't like being pushed to extremes in bad light , but that can be said of every lens ever made

nope your another one running the lens down on hearsay , as I have stated I have used mine on a panasonic G80 , a friends G9 , a olympus omd10-mkii ,and now on my own omd1-mkii I can categorically state it performs faultlessly ...its only fault being it doesn't like being pushed to extremes in bad light , but that can be said of every lens ever made

I am not running the lens down, I just don't want to risk my new camera after reading only a couple of bad reviews, most are very good but for now I dont need the lens, so dont need to risk buying one that could be a dodgy one.

I've had the 100-400 for three years and used it with the EM1 and EM1 mk2 and never had a problem with what you might call mount shaving. Lens fit to the body is good, the problem I think was with an early batch of lenes .

My 100-400 has also had no issues on either my EM5MKII or EM1 MKII.

Coming back to the Olympus 300mm i see Calumet are still listing it, makes me think its a mistake with wex.

Back