Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Challenge accepted!

Goldfinches in my wildlife (very low maintenance!) garden this week : [Jeff tells me that images look better on Flickr. Plus I don't hide my settings etc there]

GOLDFINCH BEAK FIT FOR PURPOSE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Enlargement of same image as above :

GOLDFINCH ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCH PERCHED ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCHES ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I am beginning to feel more confident about what the M1X system can potentially deliver. Afterall, my Canon flagship 1DX-2 is a hard act to follow!

Really attractive set of images.

Brilliant images Robin, doubt you will get any more detailed or sharper images then those with any other system (FF or otherwise).

looks like you are really getting your 1X dialled in.

nice set robin ,its the brain behind the camera that counts WD

Goldfinches in my wildlife (very low maintenance!) garden this week : [Jeff tells me that images look better on Flickr. Plus I don't hide my settings etc there]

I am beginning to feel more confident about what the M1X system can potentially deliver. Afterall, my Canon flagship 1DX-2 is a hard act to follow!

Nice one :) great images

mission accomplished .. went out in search of purple sandpipers this morning found one solitary bird in about a mile of seafront . the sky was a bright blue adding a tone to the wet rocks
a touch of purple by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Those are superb Robin.

You had good light too.

OMG and I thought Fuji was good (I didnt like the system hence me switching to Oly)................but chuff me, these are bloody excellent

Right, looking at Robin and Jeff's latest images, I need an answer...…….100-400 Panasonic or get a 2x converter for my 40-150 I have the 1.4 already

Right, looking at Robin and Jeff's latest images, I need an answer...…….100-400 Panasonic or get a 2x converter for my 40-150 I have the 1.4 already
Panny 100-400mm. 2x TC softens the 40-150mm, especially with subjects as distance.

Cheers Snerks………...been looking at it for a week or two now, just didn't have the balls to go for it, went for the Oly and TC in the end but thought...………...hmmmm what if...……...so will go for the 100-400 I reckon after the fat lad in red has been

Cheers Snerks………...been looking at it for a week or two now, just didn't have the balls to go for it, went for the Oly and TC in the end but thought...………...hmmmm what if...……...so will go for the 100-400 I reckon after the fat lad in red has been
In all honesty your only seeing a tiny fraction of the output from this combo ,I must have in excess of 300 shots worthy of processing over the last two days alone ... yes I do delete a lot as well but generally it’s down to user error on my part I.e like today I forgot to switch back to auto iso ,so I could of got a higher shutter speed

Panny 100-400mm. 2x TC softens the 40-150mm, especially with subjects as distance.

.... That surprises me if the MC-20 softens the ED 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO? I have seen results on Flickr of the MC-20 on the ED 300mm F/4 PRO, first linked to earlier in this thread, of dragonflies by a French photographer IIRC and they were super sharp.

.... That surprises me if the MC-20 softens the ED 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO? I have seen results on Flickr of the MC-20 on the ED 300mm F/4 PRO, first linked to earlier in this thread, of dragonflies by a French photographer IIRC and they were super sharp.
He does state subjects at a distance robin . I think this is one of the inherent faults with the system .probably due to the smaller sensor I find that beyond a certain distance stuff goes to mush ,or possibly just misses that critical focus point it’s really hard to define . I even debated doing a micro adjust on my big lens but not done so yet .. but inside that hypothetical distance it’s fine

Another user posted pics on here of the 40-150mm with 2xTC vs the 300mm f4 and the difference was very noticeable. From my experience without TC the 40-150mm f2.8 is a match for the 300mm in terms of sharpness.

He does state subjects at a distance robin . I think this is one of the inherent faults with the system .probably due to the smaller sensor I find that beyond a certain distance stuff goes to mush ,or possibly just misses that critical focus point it’s really hard to define . I even debated doing a micro adjust on my big lens but not done so yet .. but inside that hypothetical distance it’s fine
Tbh all 2xTC’s I’ve used have been the same, shoot a subject relatively close and the sharpness is barely affected, however shoot a distance subject and the softness becomes apparent. I would imagine it’s highlighted on m4/3 vs FF due to the magnification.

You couldn't go wrong with the 12-100 you have shown in your link
If Carlsberg did a do it all lens this would be it, excellent at both ends of the focal length and great stabilisation
Probably find it can dual up with your Pen F ibis and that would give about 6 stops worth

Weather sealing is handy, never know when you might want it
Went for a stroll in the capital the other day with a few others from here
As it got dark the fine but heavy rain fell, just carried on and wiped the camera/lens off later on
Well yes but the 12-100 is just too big to be a handy lens that I carry around

Tbh all 2xTC’s I’ve used have been the same, shoot a subject relatively close and the sharpness is barely affected, however shoot a distance subject and the softness becomes apparent. I would imagine it’s highlighted on m4/3 vs FF due to the magnification.

.... I got rather fed up a while ago when so many other photographers were telling me that "all 2x TCs" are slightly soft. Until, I saw the results a friend was getting on his Canon EF 500mm F/4L II with a Canon 2x III (version II Extenders are not so well matched). So I took the plunge and bought one and have kept more shots with the 2x mounted than either without or with the 1.4x. So, I'm sorry but I'm not going to take your word for it. Olympus have developed both MC-14 and MC-20 very specifically for their 2 PRO lenses (and also the MC-20 for their forthcoming super telephoto zoom).

For what it's worth, a very successful professional wildlife and landscape photographer friend after many years with Canon bought Nikon and was so disappointed with Nikon's TCs that he returned all the Nikon gear and is still with Canon. I hasten to add that it was only the TCs from Nikon that he was dissatisfied with. Btw, he's not inclined to go mirrorless... yet!

I don't know how distant your "distance subject" is and your term unless "relatively close" adds to a suggestion of significant limitations. But I think it is only at the more extreme long distances that a good TC loses any image quality. Atmospheric conditions also play a part, plus the extent of enlargement a photographer applies to their original image.

I have a MC-20 on order and will certainly report and display my images for people to judge for themselves. I will be returning it if in the unlikely event I am not satisfied, but then again I might be more easily satisfied than some (aka pixel-peepers) :D.

Shot on Canon D-SLR and also EOS mirrorless, here is an album of my best efforts with a 2x : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157685377629534

Olympus are openly really taking on Canon, Nikon, and Sony with their M1X system and simply cannot afford to get their MC-20 TC wrong - TCs are an essential component in a wildlife photographer's kit.

I think it is up to the individual photographer to realise that there is no such thing as a perfect camera or lens and to limit their demands on their gear accordingly. From experiencing that m4/3 does not yield good results as easily as full-frame in poor light, I simply accept it and take less photos - Go for quality rather than quantity.

Last edited:
As I'm getting on so well with my new Sony A7 ii body I'm thinking of letting all my Olympus gear go.

I'll post here what I've got in case any Olympus chaps here want something so I can pop the advert up in the classifieds.

If there's no interest I'll keep the kit for the time being.

EM5 MK2 Silver. (HDEW)
12-40 f2.8 PRO (HDEW)
Samyang 7.5mm F2.8 fish eye(bought 2nd hand from LCE)
Olympus 45mm f1.8 black (bought 2nd hand on here)
Olympus 40 - 150mm F4-5.6R Black (bought 2nd hand on here)
Olympus 75-300m F4.8-6.7 II Black (bought 2nd hand on here)

I would like to thank everybody who either commented or Liked my set of Goldfinch pictures in post #17,400 - As a newbie to Olympus I feel very encouraged!

Btw, Jeff @the black fox taught me about post-processing in 2013 when I first joined TP. I have since modified my workflow but only in detail.

Really attractive set of images.
Brilliant images Robin, doubt you will get any more detailed or sharper images then those with any other system (FF or otherwise). Looks like you are really getting your 1X dialled in.
nice set robin ,its the brain behind the camera that counts WD
Nice one :) great images
Those are superb Robin. You had good light too.
OMG and I thought Fuji was good (I didnt like the system hence me switching to Oly)................but chuff me, these are bloody excellent

.... I got rather fed up a while ago when so many other photographers were telling me that "all 2x TCs" are slightly soft. Until, I saw the results a friend was getting on his Canon EF 500mm F/4L II with a Canon 2x III (version II Extenders are not so well matched). So I took the plunge and bought one and have kept more shots with the 2x mounted than either without or with the 1.4x. So, I'm sorry but I'm not going to take your word for it. Olympus have developed both MC-14 and MC-20 very specifically for their 2 PRO lenses (and also the MC-20 for their forthcoming super telephoto zoom).

For what it's worth, a very successful professional wildlife and landscape photographer friend after many years with Canon bought Nikon and was so disappointed with Nikon's TCs that he returned all the Nikon gear and is still with Canon. I hasten to add that it was only the TCs from Nikon that he was dissatisfied with. Btw, he's not inclined to go mirrorless... yet!

I don't know how distant your "distance subject" is and your term unless "relatively close" adds to a suggestion of significant limitations. But I think it is only at the more extreme long distances that a good TC loses any image quality. Atmospheric conditions also play a part, plus the extent of enlargement a photographer applies to their original image.

I have a MC-20 on order and will certainly report and display my images for people to judge for themselves. I will be returning it if in the unlikely event I am not satisfied, but then again I might be more easily satisfied than some (aka pixel-peepers) :D.

Shot on Canon D-SLR and also EOS mirrorless, here is an album of my best efforts with a 2x : https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157685377629534

Olympus are openly really taking on Canon, Nikon, and Sony with their M1X system and simply cannot afford to get their MC-20 TC wrong - TCs are an essential component in a wildlife photographer's kit.

I think it is up to the individual photographer to realise that there is no such thing as a perfect camera or lens and to limit their demands on their gear accordingly. From experiencing that m4/3 does not yield good results as easily as full-frame in poor light, I simply accept it and take less photos - Go for quality rather than quantity.
That’s fine, my word is not gospel I can only post what I find. I have however seen more posts finding the same as me rather than the other way, but again that doesn’t mean it’s gospel (y)

Also I was answering what would be better, 40-150mm with 2x Tc or 100-400mm, as the 40-150mm has demonstrated some softness with the 2xTC the 100-400mm would imo produce sharper images.

Let me ask you a hypothetical question, assuming no weight and cost penalty would you choose a 500mm f4 with 2xTC or a 1000mm f8, assuming they 1000mm f8 is pretty much as sharp as the 500mm without Tc?

Last edited:
As I'm getting on so well with my new Sony A7 ii body I'm thinking of letting all my Olympus gear go.

I'll post here what I've got in case any Olympus chaps here want something so I can pop the advert up in the classifieds.

If there's no interest I'll keep the kit for the time being.

EM5 MK2 Silver. (HDEW)
12-40 f2.8 PRO (HDEW)
Samyang 7.5mm F2.8 fish eye(bought 2nd hand from LCE)
Olympus 45mm f1.8 black (bought 2nd hand on here)
Olympus 40 - 150mm F4-5.6R Black (bought 2nd hand on here)
Olympus 75-300m F4.8-6.7 II Black (bought 2nd hand on here)

.... How much are you asking for your 12-40mm F/2.8 PRO please?

That’s fine, my word is not gospel I can only post what I find. I have however seen more posts finding the same as me rather than the other way, but again that doesn’t mean it’s gospel (y)

.... Of course :). It is good that we each share our own experiences and findings as they serve to help other interested readers. We all help each other in the best way we can - Cheers!

I'd like £350 plus postage Robin.

So call it £360 posted with RMSD

.... That is a fair (meaning not unfair!) price Terry. I also buy from HDEW and so I have none of the reservations about its source that some folks might have.

This lens was on my provisional list for sometime next Spring rather than now. The fact that it's a weatherproof PRO spec is very attractive whereas my Canon RF 24-105mm F/4L is not quite as weatherproof I suspect and neither is my Canon EOS-R it mounts on. I am in the mountains of Bulgaria and on a lake in Northern Greece in January and so gold standard weatherproofing might be very reassuring!

Will you give me until first thing tomorrow morning to decide one way or the other please? Anyone else can register their interest accordingly.

I will not haggle your price with you - It will be a simple no thanks or yes please with payment by Bank Transfer.

Of course Robin.

It won't be boxed (unless you want the EM5 MK2 as well) as I bought it as a kit but it has both caps, the pouch and lens hood.

Cheers,

Terry.

Of course Robin.

It won't be boxed (unless you want the EM5 MK2 as well) as I bought it as a kit but it has both caps, the pouch and lens hood.

Cheers,

Terry.

.... No problem about no box and no thanks I don't need an E-M5 II for what I shoot. I can see how good and compact the M5 + 12-40mm combo would be for other genres of photography. My additional body will most likely be another M1X when I sell my Canon.

I just need to read some of the online reviews and videos about this lens at leisure tonight as in fact I would be doing anyway before buying it anywhere (HDEW almost certainly!).

The Sony is not for me personally but I can absolutely understand its full-frame advantages and quality.

.... No problem about no box and no thanks I don't need an E-M5 II for what I shoot. I can see how good and compact the M5 + 12-40mm combo would be for other genres of photography. My additional body will most likely be another M1X when I sell my Canon.

I just need to read some of the online reviews and videos about this lens at leisure tonight as in fact I would be doing anyway before buying it anywhere (HDEW almost certainly!).

The Sony is not for me personally but I can absolutely understand its full-frame advantages and quality.
The 12-40mm is a great lens imo. Not sure how it would feel on the EM1x but build quality is excellent, sharpness is top notch and the bokeh is very pleasing. The clutch for MF is great too.

I'd like £350 plus postage Robin.

So call it £360 posted with RMSD

.... PM sent to say yes please!

So much about it matches my other two PRO lenses in operation and spec and so it fits into my system very well. This year I have been given invitations and ring passes to take photos at horse events and have found my Canon 24-105mm useful and so this lens is ideal and takes me a step nearer to being all Olympus. My ED 40-150mm F/2.8 PRO is equivalent to the Canon 100-400mm L II. The 2-day Equine Fair at Exeter is my next event this coming weekend 7-8th December.

Last edited:
I got the four thirds 12-60mm f2.8 robin .i know that will be a good one

Guy's please, you know the RULES about trading ...

No trading anywhere except for the classifieds.

Guy's please, you know the RULES about trading ...

No trading anywhere except for the classifieds.

.... @GreenNinja67 Terry has posted earlier in #17,423 that :

And I have PM'd him to send me a link to the Classified advert when he has posted it so I can reply publicly and formally. Consequently our intention is to trade in the Classifieds.

Perhaps/Probably I should have made the contents of my PM public? I wrote :

"Hi Terry,

I have decided to buy from you at £360 incl RMSD please.

My contact details are :

ROBIN PROCTER
address & phone number

I assume you will start a post in Classifieds which I can respond to? Please send me a link when you have. Many thanks.

Robin"

Last edited:
There's a rumoured 12-45mm f4 lens. Could make for a good lightweight walk around alternative to the 12-40mm f2.8 and 12-100mm f4. If there is one and it's weather sealed it could certainly have my interest.
My take on introducing this lens is that want to make a weather sealed lens that is cheaper and lighter for the em5mk3 that as a package, they can pull down the price point for the system. Lighter for the vloggers, and cheaper as an intro lens, as the weathersealing has to match the body.

Back