Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... Yes, Lake Kerkini. I am half Greek and my family (now all passed on) had homes there and so my first time in Greece for over 25 years is going to be emotional. I actually feel more Greek than English.

What time of year were you there?

I will have my Olympus 300mm, 40-150mm, MC-14, 12-40mm, all Pro lenses plus E-M1X and am seriously considering getting a second M1X to avoid swopping lenses and missing shots and also for open body/lens protection from splashes and debris etc.

.... O M G !!! He is already a hero photographer - I love his work! That link you posted is extremely helpful and inspiring (but also almost intimidating!).

.... No pressure on what I can do then! His pictures at Lake Kerkini are exceptional.

I will be with professional Guy Edwardes whose work I also admire and who has been there many times. I also know his guide Emil and have been with them to Bulgaria twice this year (with my Canon system, pre Olympus).

I was there in July Robin, so not an ideal time of year as most of the Dalmatian Pelicans hadn't arrived yet.

I'll be listing a 75-300 MkII this evening.

Timing! Argh

I ordered and paid for a few lenses last night and today noticed you had listed a few of what I have coming for the wife, yes timing ARGHHH please dont say you are listing a 75f1.8

.... Yes, Lake Kerkini. I am half Greek and my family (now all passed on) had homes there and so my first time in Greece for over 25 years is going to be emotional. I actually feel more Greek than English.

What time of year were you there?

I will have my Olympus 300mm, 40-150mm, MC-14, 12-40mm, all Pro lenses plus E-M1X and am seriously considering getting a second M1X to avoid swopping lenses and missing shots and also for open body/lens protection from splashes and debris etc.

.... O M G !!! He is already a hero photographer - I love his work! That link you posted is extremely helpful and inspiring (but also almost intimidating!).

.... No pressure on what I can do then! His pictures at Lake Kerkini are exceptional.

I will be with professional Guy Edwardes whose work I also admire and who has been there many times. I also know his guide Emil and have been with them to Bulgaria twice this year (with my Canon system, pre Olympus).
I was there in July Robin, so not an ideal time of year as most of the Dalmatian Pelicans hadn't arrived yet.

FWIW
I think the EXIF on Petr's gallery shows him as being there in February.

Thinking about making the move to the Olympus E-M-MK11 from 40 years of canon use and cannot come to a decision so turning to the forum for help. below is where I am currently at.

2x Canon 80d 1D mark 3 assortments of lenses 150-600 Siggy to Canon 17-40
Main interests wildlife motorsport and Landscape not professing to the best in any of these genres
Now moved into my 63rd year and find lugging kit around sometimes take the "leave the camera at home use the smartphone" when on day trips family events.

Along with buying the E-M-MK11 the two lenses, I would start off with would probably be the Olympus 12-100 Panasonic 100-400 and maybe the 12-40 F2.8.

For those of you who made the leap from Canon, Nikon etc how have you found the transition?

I have read and watched nearly every youtube video reviews etc and the Firmware upgrade to 3.0 has ironed it would appear the cameras initial shortcomings. The future roadmap for the Olympus lens range gives me confidence that going forward. As ever your thoughts welcome from a dyed in the wool Canon user!

Last edited:
Thinking about making the move to the Olympus E-M-MK11 from 40 years of canon use and cannot come to a decision so turning to the forum for help. below is where I am currently at.

Main interests wildlife motorsport and Landscape not professing
Now moved into my 63rd year and find lugging kit around sometimes take the "leave the camera at home use the smartphone" when on day trips family events.

Along with buying the E-M-MK11 the two lenses, I would start off with would probably be the Olympus 12-100 Panasonic 100-400 and maybe the 12-40 F2.8.

For those of you who made the leap from Canon, Nikon etc how have you found the transition?

I have read and watched nearly every youtube video reviews etc and the Firmware upgrade to 3.0 has ironed it would appear the cameras initial shortcomings. The future roadmap for the Olympus lens range gives me confidence that going forward. As ever your thoughts welcome from a dyed in the wool Canon user!
I haven't made the swap as I still run two systems, but my history includes the Nikon D750, D850, Z7, Olympus EM10, EM5-II, EM1 and EM1-II.

For wildlife I had the D750/D850 with the Tamron 150-600mm and now have the Olympus EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm. In terms of IQ both setups are comparable, really struggle to tell any difference, likewise with AF.

For motorsport I used to use the Nikon D750/D850 and 70-200mm f2.8, 150-600mm and 70-300mm f4-5.6. I now use the EM1-II and 40-150mm f2.8 and Panny 100-400mm and in terms of IQ there is no discernible difference. Yes the 70-200mm is the best of the lenses but when you're panning you don't see it.

Now landscape divides opinions. I did a blind test on here and another forum of the same shot taken with the D850 and 24-70mm f2.8 vs the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 asking which was which. The majority thought the Olympus photos was the FF one, although one member said that he thought the FF one (which he guessed correctly) had more depth. So why is my Nikon my preferred landscape camera? Mainly the extra DR, and also the resolution (45.7mp vs 20mp). Coming from Canon the difference in DR won't be as noticeable, in fact the Olympus is only 0.4ev different.

Where FF is still better imo is taking portraits etc when you want that shallow DOF and/or pop/3D, the m4/3 just can't match it. Also, in terms of rendering you're never going to get anything like the Canon and Nikon 500/600mm f4's, you'd need an Olympus 300mm f2 for that (which they don't make), but of course these latter lenses are big, heavy and so expensive they're out of most people's reaches. The Olympus 300mm f4 is a relative lightweight and is extremely sharp, plus next year they're releasing a 150-400mm (300-800mm eq) f4.5 lens. Now this will be getting a bit weighty again, and won't be cheap, but it'll still be a lighter cheaper option than the 500/600mm f4's from Canikon.
If you need some inspiration as to what the Olympus is capable of look here, truly staggering photos, some of the best wildlife photos I've seen
olympus

FF still has an advantage in noise handling too, maybe 2-3 stops better depending on the camera.

I have both Canon and Olympus systems. Canon is FF. I haven't yet managed to capture well birds in flight but that may be me. I notice that the Olympus ambassador - Tesni Ward - in her talk at the Photo Show, showed beautiful but mainly static images. I have taken my Oly to Slimbridge and managed to catch the Bewick's swans but they are not exactly fast! I am due on a workshop tomorrow with Oly recent convert, Andy Rouse; it will be interesting to see whether it is me or the system that is lacking. I suspect the former.

I made the jump in sept after years with both canon and Nikon , first off there is very little difference in i.q especially for the genres you mention .your lenses choices cover most of your needs . I use the mkii and 100-400 and all up weight camera and lens is 1.4kg which makes wildlife and b.i.f a breeze .
The downside is it’s a BIG learning curve and I’m still on it .. you will lose a bit of total reach against the sigma but not enough to worry about .. my move was down to health grounds .. but I’m more than happy with the results and since sept I have had two photos published in the local press and one springwatch pic of the week .. happy daze

I have both Canon and Olympus systems. Canon is FF. I haven't yet managed to capture well birds in flight but that may be me. I notice that the Olympus ambassador - Tesni Ward - in her talk at the Photo Show, showed beautiful but mainly static images. I have taken my Oly to Slimbridge and managed to catch the Bewick's swans but they are not exactly fast! I am due on a workshop tomorrow with Oly recent convert, Andy Rouse; it will be interesting to see whether it is me or the system that is lacking. I suspect the former.
. I have no problems with b.i.f at all so it’s probably down to something not quiet right in your settings

Ex-Canon user here.....(well I still have 6d and the 24-105) but took the plunge withe Olympus recently; OM1.ii / 12-100 / Pana 100-400. So we're on the same page theoretically. I haven't used it much yet but first thoughts are as follows

1) The OM1.ii is a very complex camera with deep and unwelcoming menus. It can be difficult to find the simplest things.
2) The IS is brilliant; easy to hand-hold at short-ish focal lengths at 1 second exposures or longer.
3) You don't get a manual with the OM1.ii but contact Olympus cust services and they will arrange for one to be sent to you FOC.

Hope that helps.

Edit £200 cash back on the 100-400 till Jan 6th.........

Last edited:
Lighter, more versatile and quieter.

against

Sometimes too much depth of field, a few stops worse at high ISO

you will lose a bit of total reach against the sigma but not enough to worry about ..
Assuming the 150-600mm was used on the 80d and not the 1d (y)

Great replies everyone nothing like real users experience. I forgot to mention I cannot really justify running two systems financially so it would be a complete move over if I take the leap. Plan would be sell all my canon kit either here or to MPB etc

To my fellow MFT users :) ............................I posted here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photo-vest-waistcoat.704700/ asking for current insights re: Photo Vests but then thought maybe should have been 'here' because with smaller kit comes less ( :LOL: ) demands for size and weight to be carried.

So, maybe more MFT users than FF users might have been using a Vest ? :thinking:

:ty:

@mazdaman here's some shots of mine to compare. Now I'm far from a great tog, but this is a reference of the difference between similar FF and m4/3 shots when used by the same person

Nikon

DSC_9695-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Olympus

Marc Marquez
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nikon
DSC_2341 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Olympus
P6081054-Edit by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nikon
DSC_0910-2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Olympus

P2272147
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Nikon

DSC_5098
by TDG-77, on Flickr

Olympus (albeit 3 shots blended)

P1250064-HDR
by TDG-77, on Flickr

This is where FF shines though, I much prefer the rendering here from the FF (YMMV), you'd have to get an f1.4 zoom for the m4/3 to match it.

Nikon
DSC_9807-2 by TDG-77, on Flickr

Olympus

P4280691
by TDG-77, on Flickr

The 100-400 doesn’t like poor/bad light and needs high i.s.o values .but the files tend to lend themselves to being de.noised Far better than canon files .. I have also been experimenting with ETTR and you can over expose a full stop and get virtually noiseless shots at 6400 iso . But you do need a fast aperture lens to achieve this

Plus as I have posted before the omd1-mkii and mki take the older four thirds lenses via a MMF-3 adaptor with no loss Of functionality . I have a 50-200mm f2.8 swd and a 12-60mm f2.8 lenses. Although being a bit heavier that MFT lenses the cost saving is worth it .those two with the adaptor came to less than £400

Last edited:
I haven't made the swap as I still run two systems, but my history includes the Nikon D750, D850, Z7, Olympus EM10, EM5-II, EM1 and EM1-II.

For wildlife I had the D750/D850 with the Tamron 150-600mm and now have the Olympus EM1-II and Panny 100-400mm. In terms of IQ both setups are comparable, really struggle to tell any difference, likewise with AF.

For motorsport I used to use the Nikon D750/D850 and 70-200mm f2.8, 150-600mm and 70-300mm f4-5.6. I now use the EM1-II and 40-150mm f2.8 and Panny 100-400mm and in terms of IQ there is no discernible difference. Yes the 70-200mm is the best of the lenses but when you're panning you don't see it.

Now landscape divides opinions. I did a blind test on here and another forum of the same shot taken with the D850 and 24-70mm f2.8 vs the EM1 and 12-40mm f2.8 asking which was which. The majority thought the Olympus photos was the FF one, although one member said that he thought the FF one (which he guessed correctly) had more depth. So why is my Nikon my preferred landscape camera? Mainly the extra DR, and also the resolution (45.7mp vs 20mp). Coming from Canon the difference in DR won't be as noticeable, in fact the Olympus is only 0.4ev different.

Where FF is still better imo is taking portraits etc when you want that shallow DOF and/or pop/3D, the m4/3 just can't match it. Also, in terms of rendering you're never going to get anything like the Canon and Nikon 500/600mm f4's, you'd need an Olympus 300mm f2 for that (which they don't make), but of course these latter lenses are big, heavy and so expensive they're out of most people's reaches. The Olympus 300mm f4 is a relative lightweight and is extremely sharp, plus next year they're releasing a 150-400mm (300-800mm eq) f4.5 lens. Now this will be getting a bit weighty again, and won't be cheap, but it'll still be a lighter cheaper option than the 500/600mm f4's from Canikon.
If you need some inspiration as to what the Olympus is capable of look here, truly staggering photos, some of the best wildlife photos I've seen
olympus

FF still has an advantage in noise handling too, maybe 2-3 stops better depending on the camera.

Thanks Snerkler very comprehensive overview given the Nikon's are well respected bodies you have had time to compare the two system with objectivity with the good and bad of both sytems

I made the jump in sept after years with both canon and Nikon , first off there is very little difference in i.q especially for the genres you mention .your lenses choices cover most of your needs . I use the mkii and 100-400 and all up weight camera and lens is 1.4kg which makes wildlife and b.i.f a breeze .
The downside is it’s a BIG learning curve and I’m still on it .. you will lose a bit of total reach against the sigma but not enough to worry about .. my move was down to health grounds .. but I’m more than happy with the results and since sept I have had two photos published in the local press and one springwatch pic of the week .. happy daze

Hi Jeff always look forward to your output on TP and your insight to the systems you have owned over the years. Pretty sure if you were given a pinhole camera made of a pringle tin with a milk bottle bottom you would still far excel my offerings(y)

seen a lot of posts on here today re the lack of B.I.F shots with the omd1-mkii my answer is to click on this pic and go back to my Flickr stream I think that will put any doubts to bed . below is one example if you can get a flock of starlings in flight and every bird sharp then there really cant be much wrong with the system . the main bug-bear this year is the continuing bad weather getting a average of one decent day a week at the moment.

the famous five by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

OK, someones gonna have to remind me, how do you check the current firmware on you OMD's

Scratch that, I've found it. For some reason I thought it was a combination button press when switching on.

Last edited:
Forgive me for not ploughing through the last dozen or so pages but has anyone got an E-M5 III yet? The Hi-Res mode on this is tempting me away from my A7r III and, with either the 12-100mm or 12-200mm, could replace my RX10 IV too.

While I'm asking, why does MPB have so many used Pan 100-300mm's? Do people not get on with them or move on to something else?

Last edited:
. I have no problems with b.i.f at all so it’s probably down to something not quiet right in your settings
I am imagine so! I hope to find out what it is tomorrow..:) . Sadly, the other thing I use my Canon stuff for is indoors {BBL] and I tried it - way too noisy. Ah well - just have to keep both of them going!

Last edited:

Main interests wildlife motorsport and Landscape not professing to the best in any of these genres

.... I had been using Canon for several years (previously high-end Nikons in the pre-digital dark ages) but about six weeks ago put one foot in the Olympus camp after I had had a brief go with a friend's E-M1X. I have owned Canon 70D, 7D-2, 5D-4, *1DX-2, EOS-M5, *EOS-R (*I still own but am about to sell these two bodies). Lenses were EF 500mm F/4L II, EF 100-400mm L II, etc.

For me personally as a wildlife photographer, the E-M1X plus the Olympus Pro lenses is the only m4/3 system which appeals. Reasons are: Extreme weatherproofing, Pro lens quality, Weight & size (I don't get on with small or very lightweight cameras!), Innovative features, The advantages of mirrorless. I loved my 1DX-2 and the E-M1X is just like a scaled down version but even better! The M1X ergonomics and button designs etc are easier to locate and use.

No-one can justifiably claim that FF is 'better' than m4/3 or vica-versa etc - Each have their pros and cons and it's up to the photographer to exploit the features and potential which each have to offer.

FOCUS ON WHAT YOU DO HAVE RATHER THAN WHAT YOU DON"T HAVE!

I am so pleased with the best results I can get with my Olympus E-M1X (see my Flickr 'Olympus' Album) that this afternoon I ordered another one! And so both my feet will be in the Olympus camp.

Rather like yourself, at 72yo I was managing physically but not getting any younger or fitter and it had become more a case of having to limit which lenses I went out with because I couldn't physically carry enough to cover. But now with the Olympus system I can!

Last edited:
I am imagine so! I hope to find out what it is tomorrow..:)

.... At Slimbridge? I was going to attend too but Andy said I didn't need to. Otherwise you and I would have met in person! You'll find him very direct and down to earth - He's a good guy! His and professional Tesni Ward's work shooting Olympus are what fired my interest. I handled Andy's E-M1X and fell in love! [Hmm that doesn't sound right].

Last edited:
Forgive me for not ploughing through the last dozen or so pages but has anyone got an E-M5 III yet? The Hi-Res mode on this is tempting me away from my A7r III and, with either the 12-100mm or 12-200mm, could replace my RX10 IV too.

While I'm asking, why does MPB have so many used Pan 100-300mm's? Do people not get on with them or move on to something else?
I can't answer your questions I'm afraid but what I would say is that you need a tripod for the hi-res shooting on all Olympus other than the EM1x, and any movement in the picture will show up so in this regard you might still be better off with a hi res camera if that's what you want.

very surprised you didn't go for a omd1-mkii robin ,virtually same spec but a lot lighter and smaller . slightly different menu but easy to use

very surprised you didn't go for a omd1-mkii robin ,virtually same spec but a lot lighter and smaller . slightly different menu but easy to use

.... I don't like small cameras Jeff and the M1X is just like a scaled down (and improved!) 1DX-2. And my decision to go the larger E-M1X will make even more sense when the Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x Pro comes.

I have just bought another E-M1X body from HDEW this afternoon ready for Greece in January.

Last edited:

Assuming the situation is the same as it was a few months ago, these are all the MK 1 lens. The Mk 2 is rarely found s/h and a lot more expensive.

Optically the Mk1 and Mk 2 are the same, but the Mk2 is weather sealed, works with dual IS, has improved speed of autofocus, and I think it might have improved lens coatings (but I might be making that last one up).

On the subject mentioned a few posts ago about FF vs m4/3 image backgrounds being generally different in that FF backgrounds can more easily achieve a smoother more featureless bokeh. And of course realising that soft out-of-focus backgrounds are only achieved when shooting longer focal length lenses :

My image below would have isolated the background branches and fruits much more if shot on my Canon 1DX-2 + EF 500mm F/4 II + 1.4x @700mm rather than Olympus E-M1X + 300mm Pro + 1.4x @840mm but who can say that one is 'better' than the other? They each have their merits. Much as I loved my Canon 500mm supertelephoto, I prefer at least a hint of habitat rather than a fashionably flat featureless background.

One advantage I am finding with the Olympus system is that even with the lens wide open, the depth-of-focus-field is deeper and so in this case the bird's tail and also head are both in focus.

WOOD PIGEON FEEDING ON CRAB APPLES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Distance is about 72ft @840mm (equivalent).

Last edited:
I can't answer your questions I'm afraid but what I would say is that you need a tripod for the hi-res shooting on all Olympus other than the EM1x, and any movement in the picture will show up so in this regard you might still be better off with a hi res camera if that's what you want.
I want hi-res for my tabletop stuff and I always use a tripod as I might take a sequence and want the surroundings to stay in exactly the same place. And anyway, using a tripod when the camera is well below eye level is just easier.

Assuming the situation is the same as it was a few months ago, these are all the MK 1 lens. The Mk 2 is rarely found s/h and a lot more expensive.

Optically the Mk1 and Mk 2 are the same, but the Mk2 is weather sealed, works with dual IS, has improved speed of autofocus, and I think it might have improved lens coatings (but I might be making that last one up).
Yes, you're right. I was fooled by the description saying 'POWER OIS II' but, of course, that is just the OIS.

BIF on m4/3 is a lot to do with mental attitude once it happens you will wonder what the problem was, Olympus is the best but Panasonic can do it.

Panasonic G9

P1004643 by electric.mike, on Flickr

em1mk11

p6130091_42772256781_o by electric.mike, on Flickr

em1mk11

p5220009 by electric.mike, on Flickr

How sharp, my 75f1.8 has just arrived and as always I do a quick snap of the pooch to see how sharp it is, I think I am really going to enjoy this lens, its fantastic.

Totally unedited, straight out of the camera. (Actually the wife's E-M1)
PC140017 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Last edited:
How sharp, my 75f1.8 has just arrived and as always I do a quick snap of the pooch to see how sharp it is, I think I am really going to enjoy this lens, its fantastic.

Totally unedited, straight out of the camera. (Actually the wife's E-M1)
PC140017 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr
The 75mm is a great lens (y)

I have no idea where I or the wife were going wrong, but we couldn't get anything near as sharp as what we both get from our Oly's although others were getting superb IQ from them, we couldn't, that's why we switched best move we made.

I have no idea where I or the wife were going wrong, but we couldn't get anything near as sharp as what we both get from our Oly's although others were getting superb IQ from them, we couldn't, that's why we switched best move we made.

My guess would be the IBIS, makes a big difference

What did you have before?

Yes both had X-T3 and just couldn't get on with them, great cameras but we just couldn't make the most of them.

Back