Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks for the replies
I am definitely leaning towards oly version
if I can get £430 for my X100t it will fund the 12-40 from efinity

.... Absolutely fair enough and I cannot and do not disagree at all with what you are saying in this post. However, for me personally the Olympus Pro standard of weatherproofing trumps all the other considerations mentioned and the sharpness of Olympus Pro lenses is not in question.

And as a wildlife photographer I don't need many lenses (but I do need two identical bodies).

Either way, I am confident that we have both offered the OP helpful advice.
Absolutely, Olympus weather sealing is not to be overlooked for certain scenarios (y)

If you ever have to wait a few weeks for an Olympus repair think yourself lucky, i have a forum buddy in Thailand we have known each other for about 6 years, he had a EM10MK11 that needed a new LCD he had to wait 6 months for a repair, not long ago he bought a EM5MK11 and it just failed. He is looking at a possible shutter replacement estimated time 8 months, obviously they don't have the consumer protection that we have.

Whilst waiting for my recently purchased em5 to arrive i am looking at lenses
I am thinking of either oly 12-40 or Panasonic 12-35 would be trading my x100t
Any views on either?
Leaning towards oly at the moment

I have both, not much to choose between them.
Personally think the Panasonic is better at the tele end and the Olympus wins at 12mm.
Keep the 12-35 to make use of the dual is on a Panasonic body, also lighter and smaller.
No complaints with the weather sealing on either lens, won't go wrong which ever one you get.

If you ever have to wait a few weeks for an Olympus repair think yourself lucky, i have a forum buddy in Thailand we have known each other for about 6 years, he had a EM10MK11 that needed a new LCD he had to wait 6 months for a repair, not long ago he bought a EM5MK11 and it just failed. He is looking at a possible shutter replacement estimated time 8 months, obviously they don't have the consumer protection that we have.
I have waited a couple of weeks max

They shouldn’t be, what software are you using and are you using a preset on import? Are you 100% sure that you have 4:3 set for the raw format?
Capture One, as posted earlier.

I'm not aware of using a preset. Would a preset apply random different crops to ORFs? If I import the jpg and ORF the ORF shows more image than the jpg (Once I choose the Crop tool).

Capture One, as posted earlier.

I'm not aware of using a preset. Would a preset apply random different crops to ORFs? If I import the jpg and ORF the ORF shows more image than the jpg (Once I choose the Crop tool).
If you’re shooting raw (orf) and jpeg and both are displaying the 3:2 format but you can revert to 4:3 in the raw file using the crop tool then you must have the aspect ratio in camera set to 3:2 (y)

What does your camera show here in this highlighted box?
98A931AC-AD31-43A7-90C2-1F1877BE04DF.jpeg

Last edited:
4:3, like I posted earlier!

the crops on the ORF files are in proportion to the total image.

i shall do some more investigation...

It's possibly related to the lens corrections. You suggested that the amount of crop varied almost randomly, which might tie into the amount of distortion correction applied. The amount of correction needed affects how curved the edge of the frame becomes, and C1 cuts off the curved edges to give you straight edges again.

You can switch this off in the lens correction tool. Untick "hide distorted areas". It may be unrelated to your issues but this C1 tool is pretty aggressive.

Sounds like a possibility, I’ll take a look!

Sorry my memory's terrible ;)

So let me get this right, you're shooting in the 4:3 format but the images are coming out as 3:2? Or is it as myotis has just posted in that the crops vary depending on the image, and that the jpegs are different to the orfs? If it's the latter, are they still in the 4:3 format but with just fewer pixels, or are they in a completely different ratio?

Or is it as myotis has just posted in that the crops vary depending on the image, and that the jpegs are different to the orfs? If it's the latter, are they still in the 4:3 format but with just fewer pixels, or are they in a completely different ratio?

Yes, I only joined in when I read "the crops on the ORF files are in proportion to the total image.", and in an earlier post "Would a preset apply random different crops to ORFs?" (my italics)

Okay, @Pound Coin :

I use CaptureOne (version 2020) like you do and I only shoot RAW and I have just taken a shot to test the change 'Image Aspect' in-camera and to see what happens.

My test is on 16:9 and once set that's the only aspect ratio which the EVF presents to me while I shoot.
After capturing the image, the Playback button shows me the image I captured as a full 4:3 and with the 16:9 frame overlaid. This overlaid white frame style is exactly as if I had enlarged the playback view as it places any enlargement frame in the context of the whole image which was originally captured.

Surely if pixels outside the set Image Aspect were thrown away you simply wouldn't see them in Playback.

In case it's relevant, I shoot an E-M1X with latest firmware.

Even before I have uploaded the RAW file into CaptureOne (which I will do later when I have shot more images) I am confident that CaptureOne will allow me to revise my shot aspect in editing and therefore does not throw away pixels. Also CaptureOne's behaviour is non-destructive and so the original full 4:3 image will remain whatever cropping edits you do. It will even restore your Adjustments should you wish to start afresh.

Btw, the quickest way to access this setting is as @snerkler shows in his Reply #17,888 > Via the LV button.

I hope this helps but can report again when card is uploaded later today. I have a dawn til dusk day out tomorrow and will empty my card in readiness.

Last edited:
Okay, @Pound Coin :

I use CaptureOne (version 2020) like you do and I only shoot RAW and I have just taken a shot to test the change 'Image Aspect' in-camera and to see what happens.

My test is on 16:9 and once set that's the only aspect ratio which the EVF presents to me while I shoot.
After capturing the image, the Playback button shows me the image I captured as a full 4:3 and with the 16:9 frame overlaid. This overlaid white frame style is exactly as if I had enlarged the playback view as it places any enlargement frame in the context of the whole image which was originally captured.

Surely if pixels outside the set Image Aspect were thrown away you simply wouldn't see them in Playback.

In case it's relevant, I shoot an E-M1X with latest firmware.

Even before I have uploaded the RAW file into CaptureOne (which I will do later when I have shot more images) I am confident that CaptureOne will allow me to revise my shot aspect in editing and therefore does not throw away pixels. Also CaptureOne's behaviour is non-destructive and so the original full 4:3 image will remain whatever cropping edits you do. It will even restore your Adjustments should you wish to start afresh.

Btw, the quickest way to access this setting is as @snerkler shows in his Reply #17,888 > Via the LV button.

I hope this helps but can report again when card is uploaded later today. I have a dawn til dusk day out tomorrow and will empty my card in readiness.
That's interesting, I've never seen this overlay before on my Olly cameras, but then I've not shot in a different aspect ratio for some time. I wonder if that's been inn one of the firmware updates or whether it's a 1x thing? I'll have to try mine over the weekend (y)

ADDENDA to my Reply #17,894 :

Quoted from my E-M1X Manual which I have now read :

" JPEG images are recorded at the selected aspect ratio. RAW images are the same size as the image sensor and are recorded at an aspect ratio of 4:3 with a tag indicating the aspect ratio selected. A crop indicating the selected aspect ratio is displayed when images are played back. "

Which matches what I have reported earlier. So, if you want to further revise your crop after shooting and uploading to your image editor, shoot RAW and not JPEG as others here have already advised. I guess that if you shoot both together (RAW to one card and JPEG to the other card onboard) then the options later will be directly according to which format the image file is.

I don't know what the relationship is between Adobe (Lightroom) and Olympus but I have been told that PhaseOne, who develop CaptureOne, have a very good relationship with Olympus. In other words, my money is on CaptureOne not compromising the Olympus created image as set by the photographer.

Last edited:
ADDENDA to my Reply #17,894 :

Quoted from my E-M1X Manual which I have now read :

" JPEG images are recorded at the selected aspect ratio. RAW images are the same size as the image sensor and are recorded at an aspect ratio of 4:3 with a tag indicating the aspect ratio selected. A crop indicating the selected aspect ratio is displayed when images are played back. "

Which matches what I have reported earlier. So, if you want to further revise your crop after shooting and uploading to your image editor, shoot RAW and not JPEG as others here have already advised. I guess that if you shoot both together (RAW to one card and JPEG to the other card onboard) then the options later will be directly according to which format the image file is.

I don't know what the relationship is between Adobe (Lightroom) and Olympus but I have been told that PhaseOne, who develop CaptureOne, have a very good relationship with Olympus. In other words, my money is on CaptureOne not compromising the Olympus created image as set by the photographer.
Ahh so are you saying that you get 'bars' above and below the 3:2 image to 'illustrate' that it's been cropped and that it's not that you can see the full image shaded out by the overlay?

Ahh so are you saying that you get 'bars' above and below the 3:2 image to 'illustrate' that it's been cropped and that it's not that you can see the full image shaded out by the overlay?

.... If you are asking me what I see in CaptureOne after RAW conversion, I don't know yet but will do when I empty the card this evening. Actually quite soon because the light for more photography has now gone.

I have only selected 16:9, not 3:2, and the playback is as I described in my earlier Reply #17,894. There is no shading out whatsoever - What I have called an 'overlay' is a white framed box showing the exact Image Aspect (16:9 in this case) on the whole 4:3 sensor's capture hence strongly suggesting, if not proving, that all of the RAW 4:3 image is captured regardless of the user selecting a different Image Aspect.

Thinking of it in the way that I think the Olympus designers most likely would :

Those who shoot JPEG are given the choice to choose their desired Image Aspect (the Olympus term) and can then shoot without thinking much about cropping* again - What they see is what they get. Quite a few consumer pocket cameras do this I recall. *Cropping outside their selected JPEG image aspect rather than inside the area, which can always be done.

Those who shoot RAW are rather more serious about their photography [sorry, I am generalising to be able to describe it] and are given every part of the 4/3 sensor's captured data - They can revise/refine their cropping in post-processing but have the useful ability to view a subject in a particular chosen aspect ratio and compose without distraction while shooting. Olympus are probably thinking "All the sensor's capture is there so why delete any of it - It's better to let the photographer decide < Personally I understand this logic and agree. As a background to my suggestions I worked freelance for Adobe for 4 years contributing to the User Interface for their Creative Suite and so have a good idea how such internal design discussions go but it's not rocket science, it's just logic as part of any design process as any other designer here will already know.

I always shoot in 4:3 and crop to suit each image individually in PP but I am developing a project next year which is based on 16:9 but in portrait orientation, so 9:16. So I am likely to find the Olympus 'Image Aspect' option quite useful when shooting for the project but always secure in the knowledge that I can refine or revise it in my RAW editor later.

I am liking my M1X more and more as I get to know it!

When I click on the crop tool in Capture One the image is often, but not always, already cropped.

I think this could be the distortion correction which is already applied before you start making any changes to the image.

I have just tested this on a picture I shot using 12-100 f/4 IS PRO. The preview thumbnail shows a slight crop after I have imported into Capture One 20 Pro. When I set the distortion slider to zero the crop goes away but you do see the slightly distorted edges & in my case a little vignetting (think I had a CP on top of another filter). Untick "Hide Distorted areas" to see this.

Also but maybe not what you talking about. In an update to Capture One in version 20, the crop tool behaves slightly differently now to make it more intuitive than before.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I have only selected 16:9, not 3:2, and the playback is as I described in my earlier Reply #17,894. There is no shading out whatsoever - What I have called an 'overlay' is a white framed box showing the exact Image Aspect (16:9 in this case) on the whole 4:3 sensor's capture hence strongly suggesting, if not proving, that all of the RAW 4:3 image is captured regardless of the user selecting a different Image Aspect.
I think I know what you mean. When you said overlay I had it in my head that it was shaded out but could still see the full image underneath if that makes sense? Yes most camera show the crop by putting an overlay or border over/around the image, but I always thought it was black not white for some reason (maybe I'm confusing it with Nikon)

Those who shoot RAW are rather more serious about their photography [sorry, I am generalising to be able to describe it] and are given every part of the 4/3 sensor's captured data - They can revise/refine their cropping in post-processing but have the useful ability to view a subject in a particular chosen aspect ratio and compose without distraction while shooting.
It is great to have this 'backup'. Thinking about it, I've never actually checked whether other manufacturers do this as I don't think I've ever shot the Nikon with anything other than 3:2. I'll have to try shooting 4:3 at some point and see if the raw has saved the full 3:2 file (y)

I think this could be the distortion correction which is already applied before you start making any changes to the image.

I have just tested this on a picture I shot using 12-100 f/4 IS PRO. The preview thumbnail shows a slight crop after I have imported into Capture One 20 Pro. When I set the distortion slider to zero the crop goes away but you do see the slightly distorted edges & in my case a little vignetting (think I had a CP on top of another filter). Untick "Hide Distorted areas" to see this.

Also but maybe not what you talking about. In an update to Capture One in version 20, the crop tool behaves slightly differently now to make it more intuitive than before.

Hope that helps.

.... I had to delve very deeply in CaptureOne 20 to find a 'Lens Correction' palette. No lenses of mine, Canon or Olympus, display a Profile in it but the 'Hide Distorted Areas' is ticked, by default, but all greyed out. What am I missing? I have never spotted anything in any of my CaptureOne converted images which show any distortion to my naked eye.

But in any event, surely such correction would be extremely slight if compared to what we are talking about in Image Aspect cropping.

In C1 v20 the Crop Tool has been greatly improved to be both more intuitive and by reducing cursor travel distances to Menus.

.... I had to delve very deeply in CaptureOne 20 to find a 'Lens Correction' palette. No lenses of mine, Canon or Olympus, display a Profile in it but the 'Hide Distorted Areas' is ticked, by default, but all greyed out. What am I missing? I have never spotted anything in any of my CaptureOne converted images which show any distortion to my naked eye.

But in any event, surely such correction would be extremely slight if compared to what we are talking about in Image Aspect cropping.

In C1 v20 the Crop Tool has been greatly improved to be both more intuitive and by reducing cursor travel distances to Menus.

I assume that maybe because they are not lenes they have added/support? List here.

Well, thanks all, in particular the lens correction team! I think that's what is going on here.

What I now need to do is see where it is turned on, but tbh, I don't mind it, and will probably carry on with it as it is, but at least that conundrum is solved!

I must have downloaded, wittingly or unwittingly, lens profiles.

Last edited:
I assume that maybe because they are not lenses they have added/support? List here.

.... That's interesting and also surprising because the lenses I looked up in C1 are not on the list and I would have expected the long established Canon EF 500mm F/4L II to be listed. Thanks, I best check one of my shot images with a lens which C1 does list, if I can find one!

Well, thanks all, in particular the lens correction team! I think that's what is gong on here.

What I now need to do is see where it is turned on, but tbh, I don't mind it, and will probably carry on with it as it is, but at least that conundrum is solved!

So are the files showing in the correct aspect (ie 4:3) but just with a slightly reduced file size/slightly less mp?

I can now report that a RAW image (on M1X) shot with Image Aspect (16:9) activated, displays the full (nothing less) 4:3 sensor capture in Playback in-camera, in FastRawViewer (I use for culling before RAW conversion in C1), and in CaptureOne 20.

In order to view the selected (16:9) Image Aspect crop, you select to 'Apply Image Aspect' via the Crop Tool palette's '...' dropdown menu. You can then do a crop as you wish.

There is also a 'Preferences...' option in the Crop Tool palette which is a shortcut to Image in the Preferences < Cool stuff!

Last edited:
slightly greyed borders.

If I switch off Hide Distorted Areas I can see why the image has been cropped a bit.

In time I might do some screen shots!

No lenses of mine, Canon or Olympus, display a Profile in it but the 'Hide Distorted Areas' is ticked, by default, but all greyed out. What am I missing? I have never spotted anything in any of my CaptureOne converted images which show any distortion to my naked eye.

What does it say in the Profile field?

With lenses on mirrorless cameras, the correction is built into the lens Exif, by the camera maker. It should say manufacturers profile rather than identifying the lens. For long lenses, there tends to be so little distortion that it's not worth correcting and I think you just get a generic profile installed.

Some times Phase One think they can make better profiles than the manufacturer and you find that even with mirrorless lenses there is named profile produced by Phase One.

With mirrorless camera lenses the distortion data is in the exif and C1 just reads this data to implement the correction, and will say it's using the manufacturer's profile. Occasionally Phase One think they can do better than the manufacturer, and you will have an option to use a named profile instead of the manufacturers.

With lenses on mirrorless cameras, the correction is built into the lens Exif, by the camera maker. It should say manufacturers profile rather than identifying the lens. For long lenses, there tends to be so little distortion that it's not worth correcting and I think you just get a generic profile installed.

Some times Phase One think they can make better profiles than the manufacturer and you find that even with mirrorless lenses there is named profile produced by Phase One.

Well, thanks all, in particular the lens correction team! I think that's what is going on here.

I think this page covers it well and states "Some manufacturers supply enough data in the RAW file that we can use to also correct for lens errors."
https://blog.captureone.com/lens-correction-in-capture-one-the-essentials/

Edit: added quote for post: 8586632

Last edited:

.... I currently only own one lens, Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro, which CaptureOne 20 lists and when I select its Profile in the Lens Correction palette (Generic > Olympus > list) and then toggle on and off the tick box for 'Hide Distorted Areas' the displayed image (RAW) rewrites for a nano second but I see no difference to my naked eye and certainly no form of cropping border etc whatsoever. I take this as good news for me!

When you consider the very high-end full-frame medium format digital cameras which Phase One design and manufacture it is absolutely no surprise that they are capable of making the best profiles. CaptureOne was originally, and still is, their software for the Phase One cameras just like Olympus Workspace is for Olympus and DPP for Canon etc - It's like comparing chalk with cheese!

I think this page covers it well and states "Some manufacturers supply enough data in the RAW file that we can use to also correct for lens errors."

https://blog.captureone.com/lens-correction-in-capture-one-the-essentials/

.... Cheers! [Robin goes off to read it]

.... Such extensive zoom range lenses when their widest is what we call a 'wide-angle' lens has more complicated optics and mechanisms internally and it is a well-known fact that many, regardless of brand, suffer from vignetting at their widest angle. Being a 12-100mm (24-200mm equivalent), the lens you tested is such a lens. It is reassuring that CaptureOne are addressing this issue via Lens Correction but it's buried so deep that I didn't know the palette even existed until today.

I had a Canon EOS RF 24-240mm (mirrorless) on trial and sent it back because of extremely bad (hard black ungraduated!) corner vignetting. Canon suggested I could solve it by cropping in their DPP software but I wasn't interested in living with such an issue. I reported this in detail in the EOS-R thread here on TP.

.... Such extensive zoom range lenses when their widest is what we call a 'wide-angle' lens has more complicated optics and mechanisms internally and it is a well-known fact that many, regardless of brand, suffer from vignetting at their widest angle. Being a 12-100mm (24-200mm equivalent), the lens you tested is such a lens. It is reassuring that CaptureOne are addressing this issue via Lens Correction but it's buried so deep that I didn't know the palette even existed until today.

I had a Canon EOS RF 24-240mm (mirrorless) on trial and sent it back because of extremely bad (hard black ungraduated!) corner vignetting. Canon suggested I could solve it by cropping in their DPP software but I wasn't interested in living with such an issue. I reported this in detail in the EOS-R thread here on TP.
The vignetting hasn't bothered me as it gets chopped off due to the other lens corrections and only occurs if I stick a filter or two on the front. It is a very handy lens & I'm pleased that capture one has a it covered.

Time for a glass of 17 year old Grahams I think

1 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

.... That's a nice dark and rich image, befitting the whisky you will have to force yourself to drink! I hope you don't add any ice or water! It would be sacrilege!

Your first Olympus shot deserves a Whisky shot!

.... That's a nice dark and rich image, befitting the whisky you will have to force yourself to drink! I hope you don't add any ice or water! It would be sacrilege!

Your first Olympus shot deserves a Whisky shot!

Sorry, its port not whisky!

Back