Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I do have both systems. I always use my Canon system for sport though; the EM1 Mk2 couldn't cope with low light where I shoot basketball so I could only use it for static moments like free throws. I am not prepared yet to go for the EM1X. I did like it when I tried it on the Oly day at Slimbridge the other day -can't justify having two Oly bodies right now. The Oly system is glorious though. I have been Canon for a very long time and will keep it for as long as I can lift it.

I know it’s not the done thing to do to advertise other forums on here ( so if wrong admin remove ) but I like others have had trouble logging in to the u.k Olympus forum due to a mess up with the new url we were using .to access or join the site please Use
www.e-group.uk.net . Hope this helps

I know it’s not the done thing to do to advertise other forums on here ( so if wrong admin remove ) but I like others have had trouble logging in to the u.k Olympus forum due to a mess up with the new url we were using .to access or join the site please Use
www.e-group.uk.net . Hope this helps
I’m one of the lucky ones who hasn’t had an issue (y)

Apparently we may be having more firmware updates on the mkii and e.mix before the summer as well possibly to do with the launch of the 150-400 mega lens . I do Like the forward thinking/ planning by Olympus

And sod it I have been suffering with seperation issues since Monday when the mkii went on holiday to Portugal , even been doing jobs around the house ,taken the mrs shopping 3 times .. so bit the bullet on a mk1 tonight it will do as a back.up and for the wife in the summer . Sensible option as I have the lenses .. otherwise I would have been tempted to buy longer lenses for the Nikon which I didn’t really want to do

I hope so Jeff, time for a update perhaps bird tracking that 150 /400 is something im waiting for although iv just ordered a Sony a9mkII to see how it works with my 200/600 but this combo will not have the reach of the Omd setup .
Rob.

Apparently we may be having more firmware updates on the mkii and e.mix before the summer as well possibly to do with the launch of the 150-400 mega lens . I do Like the forward thinking/ planning by Olympus
I tend to notice firmware updates when a new body is released, it’s like here’s some new tech we’ve created and we’d like to share it with our older siblings ;)

I see the rumours website say that the E-M1 iii is coming in February : Interesting!

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-the-olympus-e-m1iii-will-be-announced-in-mid-february/
Hopefully it’s an EM1x in a smaller body but with up to date/better EVF.
I hope so Jeff, time for a update perhaps bird tracking that 150 /400 is something im waiting for although iv just ordered a Sony a9mkII to see how it works with my 200/600 but this combo will not have the reach of the Omd setup .
Rob.
I tend to notice firmware updates when a new body is released, it’s like here’s some new tech we’ve created and we’d like to share it with our older siblings ;)

If true then not too long to wait!

Also, if they follow the trend re:firmware improved early model to compliment the new model release.... then also great expectations :)

Where did you hear that Jeff ?

ive been a bit disappointed that in the year since it’s release, the EM1X has had no major firmware upgrade, with none of the rumoured tracking AI modes other than the current planes, trains and cars ?

Where did you hear that Jeff ?

ive been a bit disappointed that in the year since it’s release, the EM1X has had no major firmware upgrade, with none of the rumoured tracking AI modes other than the current planes, trains and cars ?
Some one on the Olympus forum was chatting to a Olympus rep today ?

Rob.
Steve Dawes has got that set up with excellent results so far

Hopefully it’s an EM1x in a smaller body but with up to date/better EVF.

.... Would you prefer that the E-M1X would be a smaller body than it is? Perhaps you mean that you would like all the features of the M1X in the smaller next M1. But aren't the two camera bodies very very similar anyway?

If the E-M1X body was smaller than it is I probably would not have bought Olympus but would have stayed in the Canon EOS system but we each have different needs and preferences.

Last edited:
The E-M1X size is perfect any smaller it would not feel right more so with a larger lens fitted, Olympus need to somehow update the firmware to keep it top of the range if they are bringing a new OMD mkIII out as the MkII is not far behind it .
Rob.

Well, if it is coming soon, then as an owner of the EM1 MKII for 3 years and an EM1X for just under a year, here's what I'd like to see "improved" over the MKII version.

In no particular order - i'm sure some are definitely doable, but some maybe wishful thinking. Whilst this is my wishlist for the perfect micro four thirds camera, I know that the vast majority of the below we will never get (at least in a body the size of the EM1 MK II and at its relative price fight point).
  • Sensor upgraded to approx 24mp (but no more than about 26mp). I tend to shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio so that would still give me over 20mp rather than the 17.9mp with the current 20mp sensor.
  • BSI sensor with ½ to ¾ stop better high ISO (despite the MP increase) - to compete with the best of APS-C (not FF of course) - maybe not possible yet with sensor tech ?
  • Higher Resolution Viewfinder with OLED screen - a must
  • AF Joystick (must have for me to even consider)
  • EM1X's AI tracking modes (and general AF improvements) but with more AI tracking subject types - e.g birds, animals etc
  • Better AF-C and tracking performance (although they are already pretty good but an improvement would be worthwhile (the latest firmware on the EM1 MK II did wonders for AF-C performance - especially in video).
  • Higher resolution rear screen (2mp+) with a 100% punch in review option like Nikon
  • User menus like EM1-X
  • GPS system from EM1X
  • Upgraded video with 4K60 as a minimum, with internal log and 10bit 4:2:2
  • Improved 1080p and Slowmotion
  • Higher bit rates for Video and the latest codecs
  • EM1X's HHHR and virtual ND filter modes
  • Improved High Res shot function with a mode similar to the Panasonic G9's to remove artifacts from any moving objects.
  • Dual UHS-II card slots (like EM1X)
  • Keep the same batteries for backwards compatibility (I don't find battery life limiting at all on either current cameras)
  • USB charging - and being able to use the camera whist it's being charged as well.
  • A very minor one, but like my Panasonic G9 and both my Nikon Z6, and Z7, an image review screen that shows the shooting data (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) at the bottom of the screen rather than having to press info to get that information on a separate screen with a tiny image thumbnail.
  • Don't know if this is even possible but I'd like to see a rear screen that's a hybrid of the tilt out only mechanism of the original MK1 version, but my pressing or sliding a button on the side of the screen the mechanism allow the screen to be fully articulated like the current MKII. That would give the best of both worlds.
As you can see I don't want much do I :p:p So basically an updated for 2020 EM1X in a smaller lighter body (maybe what the EM1X MK II would be if they ever decided to produce one)

Not sure how much of the above we will get or is even possible as I guess they will still want to keep the EM1X as top dog (although I'm sure some of the above can be added to the EM1X via firmware).

Trouble is, whilst the above for me would be the perfect M4/3 body, it would probably be cost prohibitive. More especially as Fuji are in March due to announce the XT-4 and judging by the performance, success and great pricing of the XT-3 at launch, I fear the new EM1 MK III might have a tough time competing, as like Olympus, Fuji's bodies are well made, feature rich and they have (again like Olympus) a great range of affordable and great quality lenses for the system.

Olympus really need to get the EM1 MK III bang on right in terms of feature set, innovation and price point if they want to compete in this shrinking market. Something I fear (on price at least), they just don't get ?

Last edited:
.... Would you prefer that the E-M1X would be a smaller body than it is? Perhaps you mean that you would like all the features of the M1X in the smaller next M1. But aren't the two camera bodies very very similar anyway?

If the E-M1X body was smaller than it is I probably would not have bought Olympus but would have stayed in the Canon EOS system but we each have different needs and preferences.
Yes exactly this. The EM1x is fine for those that want a larger body, but for those that don't it would be great to have the same (or better) performance in a smaller package. The idea of m43 for me is small size, if I wanted something bigger I'd have stuck with the D850 (y)
Well, if it is coming soon, then as an owner of the EM1 MKII for 3 years and an EM1X for just under a year, here's what I'd like to see "improved" over the MKII version.

In no particular order - i'm sure some are definitely doable, but some maybe wishful thinking. Whilst this is my wishlist for the perfect micro four thirds camera, I know that the vast majority of the below we will never get (at least in a body the size of the EM1 MK II and at its relative price fight point).
  • Sensor upgraded to approx 24mp (but no more than about 26mp). I tend to shoot in 3:2 aspect ratio so that would still give me over 20mp rather than the 17.9mp with the current 20mp sensor.
  • BSI sensor with ½ to ¾ stop better high ISO (despite the MP increase) - to compete with the best of APS-C (not FF of course) - maybe not possible yet with sensor tech ?
  • Higher Resolution Viewfinder with OLED screen - a must
  • AF Joystick (must have for me to even consider)
  • EM1X's AI tracking modes (and general AF improvements) but with more AI tracking subject types - e.g birds, animals etc
  • Better AF-C and tracking performance (although they are already pretty good but an improvement would be worthwhile (the latest firmware on the EM1 MK II did wonders for AF-C performance - especially in video).
  • Higher resolution rear screen (2mp+) with a 100% punch in review option like Nikon
  • User menus like EM1-X
  • GPS system from EM1X
  • Upgraded video with 4K60 as a minimum, with internal log and 10bit 4:2:2
  • Improved 1080p and Slowmotion
  • Higher bit rates for Video and the latest codecs
  • EM1X's HHHR and virtual ND filter modes
  • Improved High Res shot function with a mode similar to the Panasonic G9's to remove artifacts from any moving objects.
  • Dual UHS-II card slots (like EM1X)
  • Keep the same batteries for backwards compatibility (I don't find battery life limiting at all on either current cameras)
  • USB charging - and being able to use the camera whist it's being charged as well.
  • A very minor one, but like my Panasonic G9 and both my Nikon Z6, and Z7, an image review screen that shows the shooting data (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) at the bottom of the screen rather than having to press info to get that information on a separate screen with a tiny image thumbnail.
  • Don't know if this is even possible but I'd like to see a rear screen that's a hybrid of the tilt out only mechanism of the original MK1 version, but my pressing or sliding a button on the side of the screen the mechanism allow the screen to be fully articulated like the current MKII. That would give the best of both worlds.
As you can see I don't want much do I :p:p So basically an updated for 2020 EM1X in a smaller lighter body (maybe what the EM1X MK II would be if they ever decided to produce one)

Not sure how much of the above we will get or is even possible as I guess they will still want to keep the EM1X as top dog (although I'm sure some of the above can be added to the EM1X via firmware).

Trouble is, whilst the above for me would be the perfect M4/3 body, it would probably be cost prohibitive. More especially as Fuji are in March due to announce the XT-4 and judging by the performance, success and great pricing of the XT-3 at launch, I fear the new EM1 MK III might have a tough time competing, as like Olympus, Fuji's bodies are well made, feature rich and they have (again like Olympus) a great range of affordable and great quality lenses for the system.

Olympus really need to get the EM1 MK III bang on right in terms of feature set, innovation and price point if they want to compete in this shrinking market. Something I fear (on price at least), they just don't get ?
You forgot to mention blackout free shooting ;)

Yes exactly this. The EM1x is fine for those that want a larger body, but for those that don't it would be great to have the same (or better) performance in a smaller package. The idea of m43 for me is small size, if I wanted something bigger I'd have stuck with the D850 (y)

.... Yep, most m4/3 photographers are wedded to m4/3 being small size and I totally respect and understand why and also they would be justifiably annoyed if Olympus started to upsize everything.

Personally I think it's perfect (for me and some others who are doubtless a minority) that Olympus have chosen to offer us all both the E-M1 II series and the bigger E-M1X version. I think that existing m4/3 users perhaps forget that in order to include some of the more sophisticated features in a camera body two processors are needed (currently) and processors generate heat and need space. And then extra battery power, hence 2 batteries, are also needed in support. The Canon 1DX series (and the Nikon equivalent) are further examples of why a bigger size body is inevitable. Of course future technology may overcome such size limitations but having owned the even smaller Canon EOS M5 it was much too small for me although its image quality is outstanding in my opinion. So smaller isn't always 'better' and we must not forget that there is no such thing as a perfect camera!

There is another factor influencing body size too and that is telephoto lenses. I know I wouldn't enjoy the physical balance of the smaller E-M1 II body on my 300mm + 2x Pro combo, and it certainly wouldn't balance well on the new 150-400mm+1.25x when it becomes available (which it will - it's not just a rumour). And furthermore, having a grip with dual controls really does make shooting in portrait orientation far easier, at least it does for me and especially with a telephoto lens mounted. < EDIT : @GyRob has posted the same about the telephoto lenses factor in his Reply #18,096 which I missed reading.

So I think, but don't of course know for certain, that Olympus's primary aims with the M1X have been to design a body to best serve mounting on telephoto lenses and the wildlife and sports action market.

You forgot to mention blackout free shooting ;)

.... Your blackout-free comment has directly prompted me to have a chat with Olympus UK and they have confirmed it's not available on the M1X but are investigating options to reduce blackout time and they are going to email me accordingly. I'll share here what I'm told although it may not be until I return from wrestling with wild Pelicans in Greece as I leave tomorrow. I suspect that disabling options like some of the tracking and AF functions would reduce blackout but are probably compromises which I would not, and also many others would not, want to make - We'll see what Olympus say about it.

Last edited:
I want to get hold of a E-M5iii on test and wow to see how well I can use it for macro as I would rather have smaller cameras the plan being to switch to two cameras the same as the batteries will be different if I go a different way.

I currently have an E-M5ii and an E-M1i

I want to get hold of a E-M5iii on test and wow to see how well I can use it for macro as I would rather have smaller cameras the plan being to switch to two cameras the same as the batteries will be different if I go a different way.

I currently have an E-M5ii and an E-M1i

Might be a snag in your plan, the E-M5ii and iii take different size batteries

.... Yep, most m4/3 photographers are wedded to m4/3 being small size and I totally respect and understand why and also they would be justifiably annoyed if Olympus started to upsize everything.

Personally I think it's perfect (for me and some others who are doubtless a minority) that Olympus have chosen to offer us all both the E-M1 II series and the bigger E-M1X version. I think that existing m4/3 users perhaps forget that in order to include some of the more sophisticated features in a camera body two processors are needed (currently) and processors generate heat and need space. And then extra battery power, hence 2 batteries, are also needed in support. The Canon 1DX series (and the Nikon equivalent) are further examples of why a bigger size body is inevitable. Of course future technology may overcome such size limitations but having owned the even smaller Canon EOS M5 it was much too small for me although its image quality is outstanding in my opinion. So smaller isn't always 'better' and we must not forget that there is no such thing as a perfect camera!

There is another factor influencing body size too and that is telephoto lenses. I know I wouldn't enjoy the physical balance of the smaller E-M1 II body on my 300mm + 2x Pro combo, and it certainly wouldn't balance well on the new 150-400mm+1.25x when it becomes available (which it will - it's not just a rumour). And furthermore, having a grip with dual controls really does make shooting in portrait orientation far easier, at least it does for me and especially with a telephoto lens mounted. < EDIT : @GyRob has posted the same about the telephoto lenses factor in his Reply #18,096 which I missed reading.

.... Your blackout-free comment has directly prompted me to have a chat with Olympus UK and they have confirmed it's not availble on the M1X but are investigating options to reduce blackout time and they are going to email me accordingly. I'll share here what I'm told although it may not be until I return from wrestling with wild Pelicans in Greece as I leave tomorrow. I suspect that disabling options like some of the tracking and AF functions would reduce blackout but are probably compromises which I would and many others would not want to make - We'll see what Olympus say about it.
robin I have enabled blackout free shooting on the mkii it’s at the end of the cog wheel settings to do with switching off the OVF or on but obviously haven’t got the camera here to check ... it is extremely helpfull in keeping on target with b.i.f though , I can’t see it not being possible on the e.mix probably something the techies have never been asked before

robin I have enabled blackout free shooting on the mkii it’s at the end of the cog wheel settings to do with switching off the OVF or on but obviously haven’t got the camera here to check ... it is extremely helpfull in keeping on target with b.i.f though , I can’t see it not being possible on the e.mix probably something the techies have never been asked before

.... Aha, you edited from when I first read your post to add the word "OVF" and now I can make sense of it - Thanks.

LV is blackout-free by default but I hardly ever use LV when shooting and never when shooting moving targets! Shooting in Pro Capture mode which would be better described as Pre Capture mode, is blackout-free by default and I think also when firing with the electronic shutter rather than mechanical shutter but I think I have read that there are disadvantages to the electronic shutter. I'm sure I can manage with blackout and it is fairly minimal but I'm just fine tuning everything I can for my forthcoming trip.

Might be a snag in your plan, the E-M5ii and iii take different size batteries

I know that hence why I want to test the E-M5iii to see if I can use one for macro so I can replace my other two cameras with the with the same model which is what I thought I already said
I would rather have the same batteries in both cameras I use

So are you saying that the EM1-II's always had blackout free shooting and I've never known :banghead: Is this just pro capture or any burst mode using electronic shutter?

So are you saying that the EM1-II's always had blackout free shooting and I've never known :banghead: Is this just pro capture or any burst mode using electronic shutter?

.... Certainly blackout-free in LV and Pre Capture mode on the very similar M1X.

.... Certainly blackout-free in LV and Pre Capture mode on the very similar M1X.
Thanks, I don't use LV though but would like blackout free shooting using the VF. I know at the fast frame rates blackout is minimal but I didn't know there was a way to get it blackout free.

NO its in any mode toby , the lack of having the camera to hand is not helping if I remember correctly its in the cog wheel section at the very end you have to turn off or on something to do with the OVF and something else has to be turned off or on as well . this allows real time shooting of b.i.f with totally no blackout at all best way to describe it is like looking at one of the old what the butler saw machines .. I presume its still there but its to fast for the eye to see ,I will try to find the thread on the American forum that told me how to do it .

this is all I can find on there
(turned off the toggle between screen and evf its now permanently on .) the screen has to obviously be turned inwards in use and as the EVF is permanently on it WILL drain the battery down quicker ,so I have mine set to go into sleep mode after 5 minutes , but I still get around four plus hours per session then swop batteries . as I said it works in any mode with no blackout between shots in burst mode so you can (as I do ) track a b.i.f with the pinpoint focus and never lose sight of it I think my best burst was a cormorant landing and a 35 shot burst all in focus ,Steve Dawes has seen this on my computer and will confirm it .

DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN WORK THIS OUT

Last edited:
(turned off the toggle between screen and evf its now permanently on .) the screen has to obviously be turned inwards in use and as the EVF is permanently on it WILL drain the battery down quicker ,so I have mine set to go into sleep mode after 5 minutes , but I still get around four plus hours per session then swop batteries . as I said it works in any mode with no blackout between shots in burst mode so you can (as I do ) track a b.i.f with the pinpoint focus and never lose sight of it I think my best burst was a cormorant landing and a 35 shot burst all in focus ,Steve Dawes has seen this on my computer and will confirm it .

Reading this 'blind' so to speak ~ is this not something(?) like LV via the EVF rather than the LCD screen...plus used with the electronic silent shutter???

Thanks, I'll have a play at some point a report back. That in itself doesn't give me blackout free shooting (I've disabled eye toggle thingy before) but I've never played with the simulated OVF setting instead of EVF.

HELP HELP bloody camera right I have the OMD EM1 mark 2 with firmware 2.1 trying to u[date to 3.1 I have downloaded the Olympus digital camera updater when I connect to the storage bit and press ok the updater runs then throws up the following error "more than one camera is connected to the computer" please select only one camera

I have tried the following

I uninstalled the the updater and reinstalled I have carried out custom reset

I have installed the updater on another laptop same issue

Fecking camera is hard enough to get used to now this any ideas please how to overcome this issue

Thanks

HELP HELP bloody camera right I have the OMD EM1 mark 2 with firmware 2.1 trying to u[date to 3.1 I have downloaded the Olympus digital camera updater when I connect to the storage bit and press ok the updater runs then throws up the following error "more than one camera is connected to the computer" please select only one camera

Fecking camera is hard enough to get used to now this any ideas please how to overcome this issue

Thanks
Very odd. Just a thought, do you have a lens attached when you're connecting the camera to the computer?

You still got the memory cards in the camera by any chance. I used to get that but cured it by removing the memory cards first. Don't know why.

Didn't have the same issued when using Olympus Workspace for the update though.

Very odd. Just a thought, do you have a lens attached when you're connecting the camera to the computer?

Hi toby yes the 12-100 which I assumed would update at the same time sd cards removed

haven't downloaded the Olympus work space wonder if that would work better?

Thanks

I don't recall hearing of that happening, however:-

When did you download "Olympus Digital Camera Updater", why do I ask.....................well that has not been available for some time and when it was I needed the most current version to update mine from firmware v2 to v3 (as I recall there were at that time a few reports of v3 update issues because folk were relying on a previous version of the updater!)

Having said that about it no longer being available ~ the updater is included within Olympus Workspace, which I have yet to use!

Last edited:
I don't recall hearing of that happening, however:-

When did you download "Olympus Digital Camera Updater", why do I ask.....................well that has not been available for some time and when it was I needed the most current version to update mine from firmware v2 to v3 (as I recall there were at that time a few reports of v3 update issues because folk were relying on a previous version of the updater!)

Having said that about it no longer being available ~ the updater is included within Olympus Workspace, which I have yet to use!

Downloaded it today after reading the procedure for updating maybe I went to the old directions will uninstall and try the Olympus work space to update from

Hi toby yes the 12-100 which I assumed would update at the same time sd cards removed
It won't update at the same time per se (you have to do one at a time) but I just wondered if there was some weird glitch so maybe try it without a lens attached? If it's a glitch and the update works then the update should (in theory) remove said glitch.
haven't downloaded the Olympus work space wonder if that would work better?
Probably, I think that's what they recommend and the Olympus updater is now ironically out of date.

Downloaded it today after reading the procedure for updating maybe I went to the old directions will uninstall and try the Olympus work space to update from

Kind of odd..................because when Workspace was announced I made sure to download the Updater but when I looked recently after reading that someone could not find the Updater, that the link to "download" the Updater took me to the Workspace webpage!

But yes, I surmise that suing Workspace should do the business for you, unless of course there is another underlying cause for the strange message you saw???

Back