Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Workspace downloaded and updating as I write thank you everyone who's replied am I correct once the bodies has updated I connect the 12 100 lens and then choose to update the lens from the update menu?

Workspace downloaded and updating as I write thank you everyone who's replied am I correct once the bodies has updated I connect the 12 100 lens and then choose to update the lens from the update menu?
Yes (y)

For the record:-

Page where all Firmwares are listed
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Clicking on item 2 in the second part of the purple coloured notes area re: updating with Digital Camera Updater
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/su...wnload/software/camera/cameraupdate_setbk.cfm
Then clicking of the clearly labeled OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater rather than downloading the Updater it takes me here, the Workspace download page
https://support.olympus-imaging.com/owdownload/

So, no idea where you found the Updater to download

PS all of the above relates to the E-M1 mk2 not the early version or models without the 'save settings' function for cameras that can do do so during updating !

For the record:-

Page where all Firmwares are listed
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Clicking on item 2 in the second part of the purple coloured notes area re: updating with Digital Camera Updater
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/su...wnload/software/camera/cameraupdate_setbk.cfm
Then clicking of the clearly labeled OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater rather than downloading the Updater it takes me here, the Workspace download page
https://support.olympus-imaging.com/owdownload/

So, no idea where you found the Updater to download directed to the US site which clearly was wrong!

PS all of the above relates to the E-M1 mk2 not the early version or models without the 'save settings' function for cameras that can do do so during updating !

Thanks for the links now booked marked

So. Blackout free on EM1 mk2. Yes or No

So. Blackout free on EM1 mk2. Yes or No
Well mine is ,but as it’s away for repair I can’t give full instructions trevor if you read my posts to Toby above it’s from memory to do with turning off or on the EVF /OVF rest assured it does work though in every mode to

I think it’s turn off the EVF auto switch in the gear menu ,it’s right at the very end

Well mine is ,but as it’s away for repair I can’t give full instructions trevor if you read my posts to Toby above it’s from memory to do with turning off or on the EVF /OVF rest assured it does work though in every mode to
I think it’s turn off the EVF auto switch in the gear menu ,it’s right at the very end

Thanks Jeff. I’m thinking of getting this camera again.
I’ve had it twice so far..
Wanna get some action shots of my dog.

Just had a postcard (e.mail) from Portugal telling me the mkii had arrived at the Olympus hotel . Hoping for a quick turn round .. the mk1 I bought last night should be here special delivery tomorrow as well . ,and I just sold the Nikon D7000 so things are looking up again .

Well I've joined the MMF adapter club. MMF-3 in my case. So I'm now on the lookout for the 50-200mm SWM and I have a couple of queries. What came with the lens as standard, I presume the caps, lens hood, tripod ring and Olympus carry case? Other than Ffordes, who else might be worth keeping an eye on? I tend to ignore the likes of Ebay for this kind of purchase. I have seen some lenses missing the tripod ring or lens hood, I'm guessing these would be hard to source these days.

Well I've joined the MMF adapter club. MMF-3 in my case. So I'm now on the lookout for the 50-200mm SWM and I have a couple of queries. What came with the lens as standard, I presume the caps, lens hood, tripod ring and Olympus carry case? Other than Ffordes, who else might be worth keeping an eye on? I tend to ignore the likes of Ebay for this kind of purchase. I have seen some lenses missing the tripod ring or lens hood, I'm guessing these would be hard to source these days.
Mpb and wex have both had them in the past.

Hi toby yes the 12-100 which I assumed would update at the same time sd cards removed

.... Olympus UK have told me that you should always update the firmware of the body without any lens mounted. And then separately in a new session update just the lens firmware obviously when it's mounted on the body. If you update them both at once you run the risk of it not updating properly.

Obviously you cannot use Olympus Workspace to update anything other than Olympus products.

It doesn't matter if a card is loaded or not but you do need a full battery to be safe. If a firmware update fails during progress it can turn your camera into a brick which needs to go to an appointed Olympus repairer.

Use Olympus Workspace (OW) which is free - You just have to register one of your Olympus products online to then be able to download. OW is beyond version 1 now.

Last edited:
Got my 50-200 from Wex with 12 months warranty as new condition for £206 can’t knock it sharp as okkams razer. Try the usual mpb,ffordes, wex, camera jungle, e.bay seems expensive. or just do a google sometimes works

Last edited:
Got my 50-200 from Wex with 12 months warranty as new condition for £206 can’t knock it sharp as okkams razer. Try the usual mpb,ffordes, wex, camera jungle, e.bay seems expensive. or just do a google sometimes works

I found this one a little while ago - I was considering buying it in a fit of GAS because @the black fox is always raving about it. However I've got the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pro so opted out.
It looks decent, and a great price - Hope it helps and that it's still available.

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/fo...mpus-4-3-s-lenses-new-price-including-postage

Last edited:
Don’t think that’s the SWD version though . Due to lack of blue band . Bit slower but supposedly more reliable

I found this one a little while ago - I was considering buying it in a fit of GAS because @the black fox is always raving about it. However I've got the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pro so opted out.
It looks decent, and a great price - Hope it helps and that it's still available.

https://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/fo...mpus-4-3-s-lenses-new-price-including-postage

I didn't know this group existed until I saw a post about logging in to their site. I presume the 50-200mm has gone, the only lens remaining is the 35-100 F2 which doesn't give me enough reach even with the teleconverter, it is an expensive lens too but probably worth it. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
the OMD.mk1 arrived this morning and I managed a few test shots through the double glazing before being hustled out by the mrs . seems a nice camera and will certainly do as back-up these taken with the 50-200.. as usual nice vivid files ,not sure if I had the right settings in yet as it was still on the previous owners . but it will come right , came with grip and 3 batteries , plus free special delivery on sat . well pleased at a bite yer arm off sub £200 price
test 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

test 3 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks good to me Jeff. I have a mk1 as a backup to my mkii. I also have a 10 mkiii as a walk around when l want to go extra light.

I’m contemplating a second EM1-II if the rumoured Mark iii comes out, should be plenty of bargain mark ii’s hitting the second hand market (y)

I'm pretty sure I get blackout free shooting. I have the EVF set to be on all of the time. Other than that I can't remember, but I can check tomorrow. And preview OFF.

That’ll be great. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I get blackout free shooting. I have the EVF set to be on all of the time. Other than that I can't remember, but I can check tomorrow. And preview OFF.
I’ve tried both those. At fast frame rates blackout is minimal but not absent.

I’ve tried both those. At fast frame rates blackout is minimal but not absent.

I pretty much never use it on high fps as I just get too many images. My low is set to 10fps - perhaps I would notice it if I used the high fps.

I've had my Em1ii so long, I may have just got used to it. I've just been out taking kitesurfing photos and forgot to scrutinise it, but didn't notice any. Accidentally left it on pro capture at first and there was a bit of buffer delay then - it wasn't on my fastest card.

Today I used Manual with auto ISO, C-Af, Low fps ( set to 10 max), RAW only, EVF auto switch off (and back folded in), Currently S-OVF (but not usually, a hangover from my last use and thought I'd try leaving it on), back button focusing, C-Af release priority ON, rec view OFF.

I pretty much never use it on high fps as I just get too many images. My low is set to 10fps - perhaps I would notice it if I used the high fps.

I've had my Em1ii so long, I may have just got used to it. I've just been out taking kitesurfing photos and forgot to scrutinise it, but didn't notice any. Accidentally left it on pro capture at first and there was a bit of buffer delay then - it wasn't on my fastest card.

Today I used Manual with auto ISO, C-Af, Low fps ( set to 10 max), RAW only, EVF auto switch off (and back folded in), Currently S-OVF (but not usually, a hangover from my last use and thought I'd try leaving it on), back button focusing, C-Af release priority ON, rec view OFF.
I notice the blackout more at slower frame rates, but I’m yet to try simulated OVF so maybe that’s where the secret to blackout free shooting lies, as suggested previously.

I notice the blackout more at slower frame rates, but I’m yet to try simulated OVF so maybe that’s where the secret to blackout free shooting lies, as suggested previously.
if you can hang on till mine comes back from its hols I'll tell you the actual settings

Last edited:
@snerkler I don't think it can be that as I don't usually have it on S-OVF.

@the black fox I'm just wondering what other settings there could be? The Oly menus are somewhat complicated.

Sitting at home now and holding the shutter button down, there is indeed a bit of blackout, so perhaps I've just got used to it. I'm not sure it's any more than you get with a DSLR though?

@snerkler I don't think it can be that as I don't usually have it on S-OVF.

@the black fox I'm just wondering what other settings there could be? The Oly menus are somewhat complicated.

Sitting at home now and holding the shutter button down, there is indeed a bit of blackout, so perhaps I've just got used to it. I'm not sure it's any more than you get with a DSLR though?
none at all on mine.. I recall it was two things that I had to change but I simply cant do it from memory .. the camera has been away a week now the repair centre has it so hopefully returned soon

none at all on mine.. I recall it was two things that I had to change but I simply cant do it from memory .. the camera has been away a week now the repair centre has it so hopefully returned soon
Yes I feel your pain, not having your camera at home - I've had to send two cameras off recently - both Canons. I don't use them as much as my Oly, but I still hate not having them.

I'll be interested to see your settings. I honestly didn't think I had any blackout, but I must have just got used to it. I haven't noticed it being a problem at all.

Interesting.... I just turned S-OVF off and tried it - the fps was noticeably slower and possibly more blackout :oops: :$ The light is failing and it's ISO 6400 - that might make a difference?

So had a few days to to sort out the M1 Mark 2 and it is indeed a fearsome beast that is going to take some time to master. I have the Panny 100-400 arriving next week for wildlife/ birding duties. I have read/viewed various topics on setting up the camera so I have set the camera to the base settings from Wrotniak site below and added the settings from the article at the bottom of the page saved to CF1 Any one tried these settings?

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1.2-sett.html

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/olympus-omd-em1-ii-firmware-3-0-birds-in-flight/

So had a few days to to sort out the M1 Mark 2 and it is indeed a fearsome beast that is going to take some time to master. I have the Panny 100-400 arriving next week for wildlife/ birding duties. I have read/viewed various topics on setting up the camera so I have set the camera to the base settings from Wrotniak site below and added the settings from the article at the bottom of the page saved to CF1 Any one tried these settings?

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/m43/em1.2-sett.html

https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/stories/olympus-omd-em1-ii-firmware-3-0-birds-in-flight/
A very long winded lot of waffle Really , shoot in a/v ,keep shutter speed up and iso down , I tend to use the single micro focus dot more than multi point as it tends to see through twiggage better , there are a few more pertinent settings but if you go back and search out mike.w settings there all in there .. it’s not really that complicated a camera and if I can sort it out in a couple of days at 73 yrs old I’m sure you can.
Basically everything you need is on the main control panel

Last edited:
Interesting.... I just turned S-OVF off and tried it - the fps was noticeably slower and possibly more blackout :oops: :$ The light is failing and it's ISO 6400 - that might make a difference?
Maybe more the light making AF between shots slower and therefore reducing frame rate.

bloody quiet round here with robin on holiday :thinking::thinking::thinking:

another of yesterdays test shots with the mk1 , taken through double glazing with the bird in heavy shadow . I do like the way these files can be recovered I would normally class this as unusable . but it goes to show .
through a glass darkly by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

another of yesterdays test shots with the mk1 , taken through double glazing with the bird in heavy shadow . I do like the way these files can be recovered I would normally class this as unusable . but it goes to show .
through a glass darkly by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
I often push files further than seems to be possible if you read what is written especially for macro

Maybe more the light making AF between shots slower and therefore reducing frame rate.
Hmm yes but I did try both S-OVF and EVF in the same lighting conditions. This was just pointing it through the window in poor light. Will eventually try it in better light and with a proper subject. Perhaps I inadvertently focused on different things and in the failing light that made one subject more difficult than the other to focus on.

no that cant be it , I shoot in bright light and dull it will be in my settings when the camera returns . I inputted the settings in sept so can’t remember exactly what I did . Patience people the weather is crap anyway

Back