Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

no that cant be it , I shoot in bright light and dull it will be in my settings when the camera returns . I inputted the settings in sept so can’t remember exactly what I did . Patience people the weather is crap anyway
@blackfox
I can't recall what you camera went to the Portuguese repair hotel for?

@blackfox
I can't recall what you camera went to the Portuguese repair hotel for?
Grip rubber peeling off , just checked back on my posts from sept and I said you have to turn off the toggle between screen and EVF but I’m certain there was something else to ?

Gone back into the u.s forum and checked again it just says switch off the toggle between screen and EVF . Suggest you try that first .viewfinder should be permanently on even when your eye is not near it .

Grip rubber peeling off , just checked back on my posts from sept and I said you have to turn off the toggle between screen and EVF but I’m certain there was something else to ?

Ah! on such a repair I surmise they would not do anything to your user settings (that are possibly) 'outside' those saved to one or more of the Custom Setting saved sets.

Last edited:
Hope not or it will be a nightmare

Hope not or it will be a nightmare

My understanding is that when(?) they do the likes of a firmware update they save and reload the custom settings......an advantage of the E-M1 mk2 is also done when I/we do a home firmware update. My concern would be about settings that are not saved within the Custom ones!

Ah what will be will be I sorted it out from scratch initially anyway

Gone back into the u.s forum and checked again it just says switch off the toggle between screen and EVF . Suggest you try that first .viewfinder should be permanently on even when your eye is not near it .

Mine is permanently on and the preview set to off. We will have patience and await your camera. Even I’m excited about you getting it back [emoji23][emoji23]

Mine is permanently on and the preview set to off. We will have patience and await your camera. Even I’m excited about you getting it back [emoji23][emoji23]
its in a queue waiting to be looked at apparently

Been trying for a couple of days to get the little flash supplied with the mk1 to work ,with no success.possibly broken ... the one on my mkii works fine and I use it trigger a Nikon fit neewer flash gun that has slave mode .. anyway just tried the neewer Nw562 on the mk1 hot shoe and it works perfectly ,will try the flash triggers I got with it later and update .
Got to love the flexibility of these Olympus cameras. This will definetly help when the macro season comes round ,and saves me buying yet another flash gun / system

yo result just tried the off camera flash triggers I got with the flashgun kit and they also work . so now have a fully working off or on camera TTL set up that cost me under £50 delivered . and I was thinking of sticking it on e.bay due to not having any Nikon stuff

Last edited:
I'm sure this isn't the case, but are you on Electronic shutter on the mk1?

I'm sure this isn't the case, but are you on Electronic shutter on the mk1?
Not sure how do you find it . Got silent shutter and anti shock both switched on?

I recently posted about the MMF-3 being phased out by Olympus. I decided to contact Olympus and they have replied confirming that indeed the product is now obsolete I was fortunate to buy HDEW last one

"Many thanks for your email enquiring about the MMF-3 adapter.

I can confirm that whilst the MMF-3 is now a discontinued product, you will be able to find a residual stock of this item on-line by simply typing the model number in the search bar of your Internet browser.

Again, my apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and I wish you all the best of luck in your search.

If there would be anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you further."

On the m1 mki you need to be on mechanical shutter for it to work.
Losing the plot here ,for what to work Ian ? Confused .oap.com..ah are we talking about the mki flash ..

Last edited:
Losing the plot here ,for what to work Ian ? Confused .oap.com..ah are we talking about the mki flash ..

The silent shutter stops the flash from working, I think. It certainly does on my mkII

Tried that still not working ,but the neewer flash does , and as I would only use it to trigger the neewer flash anyway it’s a no brainer . So safely tucked away in a drawer

Tried that still not working ,but the neewer flash does , and as I would only use it to trigger the neewer flash anyway it’s a no brainer . So safely tucked away in a drawer

Re: working or not? I note another post above that you tried the little flash on the Mk1 and not working but your other one that came with the Mk2 worked on the Mk2...........................have you tried the one that you got with the Mk2 on the Mk1???

Or did I miss that in the reading of the posts :thinking: but if not tried then perhaps an elimination test to prove(?) whether the one that you got with the used Mk1 is actually working or not???

Last edited:
Not a worry BB they are different types anyway . the mk1 was bought as a backup and finding that the neewer flash works on the hot shoe isa mega bonus as it means I can use that combined with my macro lens and adapted Pringle tube for macro work .. a win win situation

Not a worry BB they are different types anyway . the mk1 was bought as a backup and finding that the neewer flash works on the hot shoe isa mega bonus as it means I can use that combined with my macro lens and adapted Pringle tube for macro work .. a win win situation

Ah! my bad for not realising that the small flash was the same for the original MK1 and the more recent mk2:(

Heads up!?

Looks like the new Olympus body rumour mill was correct.....it seems according to one of the ambassador's blogs that there will be a launch on 12th February. :)

i‘ll start putting 5 bob a week in my piggy bank then

I will not speculate on whether it will be the rumoured E-M1 MK3 or its specs.......but if so, when it's introductory price will drop to anything 'affordable' or indeed if they will depress mk2 prices.

But for sure I look forward to seeing its specs and reviews :D

I will not speculate on whether it will be the rumoured E-M1 MK3 or its specs.......but if so, when it's introductory price will drop to anything 'affordable' or indeed if they will depress mk2 prices.

But for sure I look forward to seeing its specs and reviews :D
There’s a leaked pic of the EM1-III logo on the body but who knows if it’s genuine. No doubt it’ll be around the £2k mark on launch but it won’t get my interest until it drops below £1k.

There’s a leaked pic of the EM1-III logo on the body but who knows if it’s genuine. No doubt it’ll be around the £2k mark on launch but it won’t get my interest until it drops below £1k.

Well, currently on camera price buster:-
E-M1X
£2199
E-M1mk2
£1298.50

I suppose it depends on where they will position it and to not damage sales of the 1X???

Well, currently on camera price buster:-
E-M1X
£2199
E-M1mk2
£1298.50

I suppose it depends on where they will position it and to not damage sales of the 1X???
Tbh Olympus said that the EM1x was more of a demonstration of what they can do rather than expecting large sales from it therefore I’m not sure they’ll be too bothered about eating into EM1x sales, but who knows.

IMO launching it more than £2199 would be too high.

The flashes bundled with the two versions of the EM1 are the FL-LM2 and the FL-LM3, on the Mark 1 and 2 respectively. They are definitely not interchangeable, the LM2 slots into the accessory port at the same time as the hotshoe, it receives it's power from the accessory port. The Mark 2 lost the accessory port but has 4 pins on the hotshoe, compared to 3 on the Mark 1. Pin 4 provides the power in this case. I see that the Pen F also has a 4 pin hotshoe and other later OMD bodies. I note via Youtube that the Lumix GX80 will also work with the LM3 flash provided the front end of the flash hotshoe plate is filed down.

cured the olympus MK1 standard flashgun problem with someones help . really simple fix . it appears that it has to be flipped up to work :thinking::thinking::exit::exit:

Don't see them very often Jeff so well done .
Rob.

mkii repaired yesterday in Portugal ,out for delivery today with DHL express ,impressed

even more impressed its just been returned and in pristine as new condition. 100% top service I am very very impressed with olympus even more so after falling foul of other brands lapsidasical approach in the past .

as for the non blackout shooting all I can see when going through the menus is . go to near the end of the cogwheel section and
turn EVF auto switch to OFF
screen style 3
and S -OVF to off

whether other settings further back in the menu affect it I don't know but it works for me so worth a try ,I can track a bird in flight and it reacts just like a DSLR

Last edited:
Back