Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

just done some shots of seagulls on the field at distance and in flight ... normally at the distance I shot them they would be fuzzy and soft . one took off and I got it in flight and as I was on single point I didn't hold any hopes but 37 shots taken including the flight shots and 36 acceptably sharp . at the moment I can say there's at least a 80% improvement .

on the mk2 bebop apparently its a common fault .. now set to -2 and on the test bed looks far better time will tell in general use
I’m surprised it’s common as yours is the first I’ve heard of :eek:
Didn't think you could micro adjust focus on a mirrorless camera and lens.
Always seen it as one of the selling points, none of that messing about two clicks one way, three the other.

Never seen it on any menu from my Panasonic cameras, nor Fuji for that matter either.
Maybe Olympus are different, if so glad I don't have any left now
All cameras with PDAF can suffer focus errors, the reason that it’s less likely is that many of the mirrorless use hybrid and so the CDAF part helps critical focus, but it’s still not full proof
Nikon and Olympus offer AF fine tune for mirrorless, that I know of.

It's discussed in the Reikan Focal blog (but with the focus on Nikon) . https://blog.reikanfocal.com/2018/10/the-new-nikon-z7-investigating-with-reikan-focal/ . The relevant bits are hidden well down the blog, so I have posted them below.

Why AF Fine Tune on the Nikon Z cameras?
As I said above, it’s generally assumed that cameras with the autofocus sensor built into the image sensor (i.e. mirrorless cameras) do not need any AF calibration. There’s no chance of the AF sensor being misaligned or the pre-programmed internal calibration between the AF sensor and image sensor to be incorrect like there is in a DSLR (which has a separate AF sensor in it’s base). However, Nikon has included AF Fine-Tune in their Z6 and Z7 cameras – so why is that, and is it really needed?

RSM04289-copy-1024x683.jpg

If the camera uses purely contrast-detect AF (CDAF), you wouldn’t need any sort of calibration. CDAF works in the same way as a human focusing a lens – you look at how sharp the image is, and if you’re not satisfied with the sharpness you move the focus point a bit in a random direction and see if it gets sharper or not. You repeat this process until you get a sharp image. This is a closed-loop, iterative process – closed loop means you adjust and then check your result, and iterative means you repeat the process until you’re happy with the outcome. The end focus position is probably about as good as you’re going to get (although you can never be quite sure as you have to adjust the lens to check, which might then mess up the focus!). The down sides are that CDAF is quite slow and requires good light.

Phase-detect AF (PDAF) looks at two paths of light coming to the sensor and with a single measurement can determine both the magnitude (how much you need to adjust the focus) and the direction (towards the camera or towards infinity). So one quick measurement can give you everything you need to know – then you drive the lens the right amount in the right direction and voila, perfect focus…

… not quite. This is an open-loop system. It’s fast, but it relies on your measurement being accurate and the lens doing exactly what you tell it to. When the camera says move x amount in this direction, it assumes that x is the perfect amount, and the lens will correctly move to this point.

So what happens if your lens motor/gearing is a bit worn and doesn’t behave quite the same as it did when it was new? What if the lens mount or lens elements are fractionally misaligned due to manufacturing tolerances or an accidental knock 6 months ago, and the focus isn’t measured quite correctly or the movement of the motor doesn’t quite move the lens element where is should be? These are the sorts of things can result in a fractional offset of the focus position, and an out-of-focus image.

But as long as the focus error is fairly consistent, then AF Fine Tune is your knight in shining armour to get that perfect focus back!

Other mirrorless cameras offering AF Calibration
There are a few other mirrorless cameras which offer AF tuning. Cameras like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 even have the capability to adjust calibration for each individual focus point!

I’ve consistently seen reference to Sony mirrorless support AF Fine-Tune but this isn’t technically correct and I wanted to clarify here. There are a few lens mount adapter available for Sony cameras, and at least 2 of them (LA-EA2 and LA-EA4) use Sony’s “Translucent Mirror” technology and incorporate a PDAF sensor in the base of the adapter. When you use AF Fine Tune on a Sony mirrorless, this adapter PDAF sensor is what you are actually calibrating, so it’s only of use if you’re using one of these specific adapters.
I had a lengthy discussion with Nikon about their AF systems and micro adjustments and strangely they say that micro adjustment/fine tune has never ever been there to correct focus issues and only there to suit a user’s preference. I found this very odd as surely everyone’s preference is to nail focus? Anyway, they said if there’s ever a front/back focus issue then the camera and lens should be returned for calibration. This all applies for both DSLR and mirrorless.

For the record I once returned a camera and lens to Nikon for front focussing and it cave back the same, I resorted to micro adjusting and it was fine ever since ;)

Last edited:
Last edited:
right first off I'm not bothered about Nikon ,this is a Olympus thread and this might help others that are struggling with the same problem . so now its put your money where your mouth is time . the first shot is the post with the dog fouling notices its a about two hundred metres away . the writing is at least legible something I have not achieved before . adding more to this post shortly
tester by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

next is the gull in flight shot ,focus point was on the left wing as it took off . also note the grass looks like grass rather than a blur .distance to target estimated at 250-300 metres
flight test 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

next the same gull in fly past panning shot ,single focus point below the bird but its still given more than acceptable results . I'm very pleased so far and totally unreal that such a minor adjustment could improve things so much .
flight test by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and also please note this is only about the panasonic 100-400 lens on a omd1-mk1 or mk2 body it might affect a e.mix as well ? it should not be needed with native olympus MFT lenses ( please note robin) perhaps the sheer focal length of the lens throws it out of kilter a bit ,or its a slightly different fit enough to make a minor adjustment needed. I was on the verge of selling it and getting the Olly 300 f4 that is now on a back burner

Last edited:
That's good news Jeff I know it was winding you up on the Panny nothing worse than having a niggling suspicion on focus issue and not being initially able to find the reason. Can I ask you what focus points did you adjust all 121 focus points on the MK2 by -2? and the adjustment was it for CAF and SAF or just one of those two? Sorry for the questions but just wanted to be clear in my little mind:cautious: should I need to adjust my 100-400 Thanks for posting your results

Last edited:
The MA will cover both s.af and c.af Terry . When I went into it I made sure the little tab on the bottom was set to distance/tele .then toggled the four way to illuminate all points and dialled in -2 .. the reason for this is I often use off centre points depending on where the eye is .. I’m quiet happy with the test shots I did this morning ,knowing what previous shots of the same sort of targets at the same range have been like ... whether this will need further adjustments will be seen over the next few weeks .. I have been niggled by this problem for a while and asked on other forums if anyone else was also suffering ,even phoned Olympus help line who had no idea either ..
The main problem was I was still getting sharp shots .. which makes you think it’s all o.k or user error . Not till yesterday when I lined up focus points on camera review against up loaded shots on computer did it really jump out at me and became obvious

The MA will cover both s.af and c.af Terry . When I went into it I made sure the little tab on the bottom was set to distance/tele .then toggled the four way to illuminate all points and dialled in -2 .. the reason for this is I often use off centre points depending on where the eye is .. I’m quiet happy with the test shots I did this morning ,knowing what previous shots of the same sort of targets at the same range have been like ... whether this will need further adjustments will be seen over the next few weeks .. I have been niggled by this problem for a while and asked on other forums if anyone else was also suffering ,even phoned Olympus help line who had no idea either ..
The main problem was I was still getting sharp shots .. which makes you think it’s all o.k or user error . Not till yesterday when I lined up focus points on camera review against up loaded shots on computer did it really jump out at me and became obvious

Thanks Jeff for sharing your method on how you adjusted the lens I haven't been able to get out much with the weather in the west country being pretty poor hopefully this weekend I have free time! always useful to know and share these bits of information. Whilst I cannot say I have any issues with the lens at least your research will help many 100-400 owners to try this as a potential fix should they feel something is amiss with keeper rates. I know you have a really good technique so user error whilst a factor your investigation has proved by your initial results to be correct

Look forward to your further observations

Having said the above (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-460#post-8612770 ) I am oh so tempted to add another lens while they are apparently at the lowest price they may be for some time, maybe the 60mm Macro or the 12-100mm

But I must resist the GAS :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::runaway:
I am loving the 12-100 so much more than I expected, but if you are going to get that lens, have a look on Amazon. Olympus are selling them on there for £799 - not grey. Sorry, not going to help your GAS :)

Here's one from today - so great to walk whilst the snow was falling and not worry about my camera and lens. It was a bit of a surprise when he ran at me, although my old dog would have done the same.

20200129-BC298846.jpg

You can also get pretty close up with it. Here's one I took for the Discarded theme for the TP52.

20200127-BC278698.jpg

Ah! @Bebop "get thee behind me..." ;)

The 12-100mm is very highly regarded as the sharpest lens in the Olympus stable.......and more so for the reasons you state.

Whatever I do bearing in mind the E-M1mk3 is due out soon, I will need to sell the last of my Canon kit :)

PS........Snow??? On the IoW :thinking:

Last edited:
I am loving the 12-100 so much more than I expected, but if you are going to get that lens, have a look on Amazon. Olympus are selling them on there for £799 - not grey. Sorry, not going to help your GAS :)

Here's one from today - so great to walk whilst the snow was falling and not worry about my camera and lens. It was a bit of a surprise when he ran at me, although my old dog would have done the same.

View attachment 267190

You can also get pretty close up with it. Here's one I took for the Discarded theme for the TP52.

View attachment 267191
Dog photo is ace.

the OMD.mk1 arrived this morning and I managed a few test shots through the double glazing before being hustled out by the mrs . seems a nice camera and will certainly do as back-up these taken with the 50-200.. as usual nice vivid files ,not sure if I had the right settings in yet as it was still on the previous owners . but it will come right , came with grip and 3 batteries , plus free special delivery on sat . well pleased at a bite yer arm off sub £200 price
test 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

test 3 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Excellent set of images.
I’m still trying to get to grips with the best set up atm moment sadly the old grey matter isn’t being very co-operative at this time of life .:oops: :$

Latest 1 mk111 spec from photo rumors

I just received detailed information on the upcoming Olympus E-M1 Mark III mirrorless camera:

Update - see also the info on the new Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-45mm f/4.0 PRO lens.

In combination with the new image processing engine TruePic IX, a 20.4 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, and an extensive line-up of high-resolution M.Zuiko lenses, the 5-axis IS ensures minimal noise even at high-sensitivity settings and top-class image quality with minimal distortion up to the edges of the shot.
For users in need of higher resolutions, the 50MP Handheld High Res Shot feature makes it possible to capture approximately 50 Megapixel high-resolution images without using a tripod. The Tripod High Res Shot function allows for recording ultra high-resolution (approx. 80 Megapixel equivalent) RAW and JPEG images.

When synchronizing the in-lens image stabilization of supported lenses with the in-body 5-axis image stabilization, the E-M1 Mark III achieves the world's best stabilization performance of 7.5 shutter speed steps of compensation with 5-axis sync IS. This level of stabilization enables shooting in dark locations and during super-telephoto photography without a tripod, opening up new possibilities for photographers and filmmakers. Without sync IS, the in-body image stabilization ensures image stabilization with any attached Micro Four Thirds lens of up to 7.0 shutter speed steps compensation.

The OM-D E-M1 Mark III is equipped with a 121-point all cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF sensor for focusing on various areas of the screen. It offers 75% vertical coverage and 80% horizontal coverage of the screen for a wide focusing area. Paired with an advanced AF algorithm, this feature can continually focus on fast-moving subjects with a high degree of precision. Unlike DSLR cameras, there is no degradation in AF precision when using a fast lens. The E-M1 Mark III offers high-precision focusing that can sufficiently bring out the capabilities even of large-diameter lenses such as those with a maximum aperture of f1.2.

AF/AE tracking is possible at maximum 18 fps high-speed sequential shooting while maintaining the full pixel count of 20.4 Megapixels. The subject can also be checked in the viewfinder during high-speed sequential shooting for accurate tracking.

A multi selector makes it possible to quickly shift AF areas with your thumb while looking through the viewfinder. Because users can move the AF areas with the multi selector during sequential shooting, it is possible to accurately focus even on subjects that move erratically, as e.g. often found in wildlife photography. The AF target loop setting is also added, which, based on user selection, either stops the AF target at the edge of the screen or moves it to the opposite edge.

Face Priority / Eye Priority AF, which automatically detects and focuses on people's faces and eyes, is now more advanced. The new image processor TruePic IX features higher processing capabilities and improved AF algorithms to better detect small faces and eyes, whilst keeping stable focusing on a subject even in situations where face detection was difficult in the past (such as e.g. focusing on the sides of faces). It is now also possible to use either the buttons or touch operations to select faces when shooting still images or videos, and detection on or off can be changed with the touch of a single button. Along with versatile video functions, this feature makes the E-M1 Mark III a great tool for vloggers.

Starry Sky AF, which is new for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III, is a feature that will revolutionize the world of astrophotography. In the past, photographers have traditionally relied on manual focusing. A new algorithm was developed to enable accurate focusing even on the tiniest stars shining in the night sky, enabling ultra high-precision autofocusing. One of two modes in Starry Sky AF is the Speed Priority mode (default setting), which prioritizes focusing speed and complete AF operations in a short period of time. Thanks to the powerful image stabilization, this feature makes handheld astrophotography possible using a wide angle lens. The second mode Accuracy Priority (PR) uses a fine-tuned focus scan and is effective for shooting specific stars with telephotorumors lenses.

With Olympus advanced SSWF (Super Sonic Wave Filter) technology (which vibrates the image sensor filter with an acceleration of several thousand G 30,000 times per second to powerfully shake off dust and dirt) and a new sensor coating introduced with the OM-D E-M1X, dirt cannot stick to the sensor, reducing spots in images to 1/10th of that in conventional models. The high-durability shutter unit in the E-M1 Mark III clears 400,000 operation tests and therefore offers a high level of reliability.

The E-M1 Mark III features an IS mode specifically designed for video recording. Electronic stabilization combined with in-body 5-axis stabilization delivers powerful image stabilization particularly useful for videographers. This provides a high level of performance for handheld video content creation without using a tripod or other stabilizing device, even when shooting in high-resolution formats, which are susceptible to the effects of camera shake, such as 4K or Cinema 4K (C4K).

This model supports OM-Log400 shooting, which enables shooting without loss of details in shadows and highlights, along with color grading for a high degree of freedom over images. In order to make Live View images more visible, a View Assist function is available, which converts the color gamut to Full HD standard BT.709 equivalent for display.

The rugged magnesium alloy body of the OM-D E-M1 Mark III features Olympus acclaimed dust-, splash- and freeze-proof design to allow for shooting in any location and environment.

The OI.Share smartphone app can be used to connect to the camera via Wi-Fi, import shooting data to a smartphone, and to use the smartphone for remote camera operation. OI.Share can now also be used to update the camera firmware and backup and restore camera settings for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III.

Olympus Workspace can handle professional tasks such as RAW processing and image editing, along with offering a great deal of freedom over screen layout, etc. Connect a computer to the OM-D E-M1 Mark III via USB to enable high-speed RAW processing with Olympus Workspace using the new image processor TruePic IX. Clarity and Dehaze editing filters are included for a greater range of expression in astrophotography, etc.

By using Olympus Workspace Version 1.3, being released at the same time as the OM-D E-M1 Mark III, it makes it easy to replace the audio files of the recorded video to High res sound recorded by using Slate Tone on the LS-P4 / LS-100 while recording video.

This control software for computers meets the demands of studio photography. When using the software, live shooting results can be imported via Wi-Fi without using a USB connection, providing powerful support for the workflow of studio shooting. It supports high-speed 5 GHz band communication.

Dimensions:134.1 x 90.9 x 68.9 mm
Weight:504g

I just received detailed information on the upcoming Olympus E-M1 Mark III mirrorless camera:

Update - see also the info on the new Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-45mm f/4.0 PRO lens.

In combination with the new image processing engine TruePic IX, a 20.4 Megapixel Live MOS sensor, and an extensive line-up of high-resolution M.Zuiko lenses, the 5-axis IS ensures minimal noise even at high-sensitivity settings and top-class image quality with minimal distortion up to the edges of the shot.
For users in need of higher resolutions, the 50MP Handheld High Res Shot feature makes it possible to capture approximately 50 Megapixel high-resolution images without using a tripod. The Tripod High Res Shot function allows for recording ultra high-resolution (approx. 80 Megapixel equivalent) RAW and JPEG images.

When synchronizing the in-lens image stabilization of supported lenses with the in-body 5-axis image stabilization, the E-M1 Mark III achieves the world's best stabilization performance of 7.5 shutter speed steps of compensation with 5-axis sync IS. This level of stabilization enables shooting in dark locations and during super-telephoto photography without a tripod, opening up new possibilities for photographers and filmmakers. Without sync IS, the in-body image stabilization ensures image stabilization with any attached Micro Four Thirds lens of up to 7.0 shutter speed steps compensation.

The OM-D E-M1 Mark III is equipped with a 121-point all cross-type On-chip Phase Detection AF sensor for focusing on various areas of the screen. It offers 75% vertical coverage and 80% horizontal coverage of the screen for a wide focusing area. Paired with an advanced AF algorithm, this feature can continually focus on fast-moving subjects with a high degree of precision. Unlike DSLR cameras, there is no degradation in AF precision when using a fast lens. The E-M1 Mark III offers high-precision focusing that can sufficiently bring out the capabilities even of large-diameter lenses such as those with a maximum aperture of f1.2.

AF/AE tracking is possible at maximum 18 fps high-speed sequential shooting while maintaining the full pixel count of 20.4 Megapixels. The subject can also be checked in the viewfinder during high-speed sequential shooting for accurate tracking.

A multi selector makes it possible to quickly shift AF areas with your thumb while looking through the viewfinder. Because users can move the AF areas with the multi selector during sequential shooting, it is possible to accurately focus even on subjects that move erratically, as e.g. often found in wildlife photography. The AF target loop setting is also added, which, based on user selection, either stops the AF target at the edge of the screen or moves it to the opposite edge.

Face Priority / Eye Priority AF, which automatically detects and focuses on people's faces and eyes, is now more advanced. The new image processor TruePic IX features higher processing capabilities and improved AF algorithms to better detect small faces and eyes, whilst keeping stable focusing on a subject even in situations where face detection was difficult in the past (such as e.g. focusing on the sides of faces). It is now also possible to use either the buttons or touch operations to select faces when shooting still images or videos, and detection on or off can be changed with the touch of a single button. Along with versatile video functions, this feature makes the E-M1 Mark III a great tool for vloggers.

Starry Sky AF, which is new for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III, is a feature that will revolutionize the world of astrophotography. In the past, photographers have traditionally relied on manual focusing. A new algorithm was developed to enable accurate focusing even on the tiniest stars shining in the night sky, enabling ultra high-precision autofocusing. One of two modes in Starry Sky AF is the Speed Priority mode (default setting), which prioritizes focusing speed and complete AF operations in a short period of time. Thanks to the powerful image stabilization, this feature makes handheld astrophotography possible using a wide angle lens. The second mode Accuracy Priority (PR) uses a fine-tuned focus scan and is effective for shooting specific stars with telephotorumors lenses.

With Olympus advanced SSWF (Super Sonic Wave Filter) technology (which vibrates the image sensor filter with an acceleration of several thousand G 30,000 times per second to powerfully shake off dust and dirt) and a new sensor coating introduced with the OM-D E-M1X, dirt cannot stick to the sensor, reducing spots in images to 1/10th of that in conventional models. The high-durability shutter unit in the E-M1 Mark III clears 400,000 operation tests and therefore offers a high level of reliability.

The E-M1 Mark III features an IS mode specifically designed for video recording. Electronic stabilization combined with in-body 5-axis stabilization delivers powerful image stabilization particularly useful for videographers. This provides a high level of performance for handheld video content creation without using a tripod or other stabilizing device, even when shooting in high-resolution formats, which are susceptible to the effects of camera shake, such as 4K or Cinema 4K (C4K).

This model supports OM-Log400 shooting, which enables shooting without loss of details in shadows and highlights, along with color grading for a high degree of freedom over images. In order to make Live View images more visible, a View Assist function is available, which converts the color gamut to Full HD standard BT.709 equivalent for display.

The rugged magnesium alloy body of the OM-D E-M1 Mark III features Olympus acclaimed dust-, splash- and freeze-proof design to allow for shooting in any location and environment.

The OI.Share smartphone app can be used to connect to the camera via Wi-Fi, import shooting data to a smartphone, and to use the smartphone for remote camera operation. OI.Share can now also be used to update the camera firmware and backup and restore camera settings for the OM-D E-M1 Mark III.

Olympus Workspace can handle professional tasks such as RAW processing and image editing, along with offering a great deal of freedom over screen layout, etc. Connect a computer to the OM-D E-M1 Mark III via USB to enable high-speed RAW processing with Olympus Workspace using the new image processor TruePic IX. Clarity and Dehaze editing filters are included for a greater range of expression in astrophotography, etc.

By using Olympus Workspace Version 1.3, being released at the same time as the OM-D E-M1 Mark III, it makes it easy to replace the audio files of the recorded video to High res sound recorded by using Slate Tone on the LS-P4 / LS-100 while recording video.

This control software for computers meets the demands of studio photography. When using the software, live shooting results can be imported via Wi-Fi without using a USB connection, providing powerful support for the workflow of studio shooting. It supports high-speed 5 GHz band communication.

The 12-45mm f4 isn't quite as small or light as I was hoping tbh, I was hoping dimensions and weight were going to be roughly half of the f2.8. Weight's not too bad, but you're only saving 14mm in length. Obviously I'd have to see how it feel in the real world as specs don't always tell us everything, but with those dimensions is it worth sacrificing the extra stop of light? It's pretty much the same size as the Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4, but slightly lighter.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 08.34.57.png

Last edited:
Ah! @Bebop "get thee behind me..." ;)

The 12-100mm is very highly regarded as the sharpest lens in the Olympus stable.......and more so for the reasons you state.

Whatever I do bearing in mind the E-M1mk3 is due out soon, I will need to sell the last of my Canon kit :)

PS........Snow??? On the IoW :thinking:
:LOL: I know - sorry, but I am loving it. Any doubts I had about it focusing fast enough have been laid to rest.

For this holiday (Italy BTW), it has been just perfect. I confess it has assuaged my misery at not being on the slopes for the first time.
Dog photo is ace.
Thanks. There were two of them frolicking in the snow. I was just lucky he ran at me and my settings were okay.

The 12-45mm f4 isn't quite as small or light as I was hoping tbh, I was hoping dimensions and weight were going to be roughly half of the f2.8. is it worth sacrificing the extra stop of light? It's pretty much the same size as the Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4, but slightly lighter.

View attachment 267219

My answer would be no its not worth sacrificing the extra stop of light especially when you have the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 as an alternative

Decided to try the free 30 day trials of Topaz Labs Noise AI and Sharpen AI. I selected a pretty noisy image of a Robin shot in poor light on the EM1-X at ISO 2500. I have to say to being very impressed. Initial processing done in Lightroom as usual to my usual tastes, but then all sharpening and noise reduction in LR set to zero before using both the Denoise AI and Sharpen AI as plug ins.

Here's the full original image from Lightroom with no sharpening or NR applied, and for me, this is almost a throw away image.

Here's a 100% crop of the above

After running though Denoise AI and Sharpen AI, here are the finished images (additional branches removed in Photoshop).

and finally, here's a 100% crop of the above.

Pretty impressive stuff, maybe we don't need full frame after all for this wildlife stuff ? :D:D

Last edited:
Decided to try the free 30 day trials of Topaz Labs Noise AI and Sharpen AI. I selected a pretty noisy image of a Robin shot in poor light on the EM1-X at ISO 2500. I have to say to being very impressed. Initial processing done in Lightroom as usual to my usual tastes, but then all sharpening and noise reduction in LR set to zero before using both the Denoise AI and Sharpen AI as plug ins.

Here's the full original image from Lightroom with no sharpening or NR applied, and for me, this is almost a throw away image.

After running though Denoise AI and Sharpen AI, here are the finished images (additional branches removed in Photoshop).

Pretty impressive stuff, maybe we don't need full frame after all for this wildlife stuff ? :D:D
Yep, it has made me reconsider which images I might trash. I was blown away when I first used it on a bird in flight that was blurry and definitely destined for the bin.

I've found that with the DeNoise, I haven't had to use the Sharpen AI as it also sharpens it.

Occasionally I've found the sharpen can add some odd artefacts e.g. in the sea when a surfer has sharpened up nicely. In these instances I've used layers in Photoshop to remove the sharpening on the offending areas.

Great demo Andrew I have been using it for a while now and get the same results as you show here .
Rob.

I am looking forward to some 'real world' reviews as some of the improvements seem a tad underwhelming??

And also what it's release price will be........surely some clear water from the E-M1X?

:LOL: I know - sorry, but I am loving it. Any doubts I had about it focusing fast enough have been laid to rest.

For this holiday (Italy BTW), it has been just perfect. I confess it has assuaged my misery at not being on the slopes for the first time.

i contented the GAS for now by buying a couple more 64GB SD cards and another hard case storage for them :)

But the Amazon price on that lens is like a siren calling............

Yep, it has made me reconsider which images I might trash. I was blown away when I first used it on a bird in flight that was blurry and definitely destined for the bin.

I've found that with the DeNoise, I haven't had to use the Sharpen AI as it also sharpens it.

Occasionally I've found the sharpen can add some odd artefacts e.g. in the sea when a surfer has sharpened up nicely. In these instances I've used layers in Photoshop to remove the sharpening on the offending areas.
Great demo Andrew I have been using it for a while now and get the same results as you show here .
Rob.

I have seen some impressive result with Noise AI, of which @Sootchucker 's one is a lovely example, even compared to DxO PL Prime. With some, as I recall, where Prime was used initially and later Noise AI.

So far I have been content with Prime and Sharpen AI in my workflow but as @Bebop says with Sharpen beware of the odd artifact with some subjects and settings......for me especially as I am not great with PS layers ;)

Last edited:
With regards to the new details emerging of the EM1 MK III, I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed myself if these are indeed the official true leaked specs of the MK III. As it stands, can’t really see anything that would make me want to upgrade from my current EM1X, EM1 MK II combo (or indeed my Panasonic G9).

I’m hoping this isn’t a complete list, because for a replacement for a 4-year-old body, in 2020 I would at least expect it to have at least:

• Higher resolution viewfinder (OLED)
• Higher resolution rear screen (like the Nikon 2mp ones)
• More AI tracking modes (than just the Planes, Trains and Motorbikes of the EM1-X)
• USB-C Charging
• 10 bit video (preferably internal)
• 4k 60p internal with more bitrate options
• Twin UHS-II card slots
• My menu items
• Animal AF (like the Panasonic G9)
• GPS

Let’s hope there’s more to come ?

Last edited:
Thank you. I have the M5ii and love it but just find the grip on it a bit fiddly. Wondering wether to get a E-M1 and sell the M5, looks like the M5 sells for more so I'd have a bit of spare csh too but don't want a downgrade in any way.

My first venture into the OMD system was with 5 mkII you will lose hi-res and the fully articulating rear screen if you move to the MK-1 but gain the option of phase detect or contrast and even though it’s a older model that may outway what you lose ?
For me having the same batteries is a plus as they are small/light and easy to carry and I have a dozen of them

That is impressive!!

The 12-45mm f4 isn't quite as small or light as I was hoping tbh, I was hoping dimensions and weight were going to be roughly half of the f2.8. Weight's not too bad, but you're only saving 14mm in length. Obviously I'd have to see how it feel in the real world as specs don't always tell us everything, but with those dimensions is it worth sacrificing the extra stop of light? It's pretty much the same size as the Fuji 18-55mm f2.8-4, but slightly lighter.

View attachment 267219

No mention of sync IS compatibility within the press release for the lens either (unless I've missed it) which would certainly help make up for the 1 stop loss in some situations.

Simon.

Last edited:
With regards to the new details emerging of the EM1 MK III, I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed myself if these are indeed the official true leaked specs of the MK III. As it stands, can’t really see anything that would make me want to upgrade from my current EM1X, EM1 MK II combo (or indeed my Panasonic G9).

I’m hoping this isn’t a complete list, because for a replacement for a 4-year-old body, in 2020 I would at least expect it to have at least:

• Higher resolution viewfinder (OLED)
• Higher resolution rear screen (like the Nikon 2mp ones)
• More AI tracking modes (than just the Planes, Trains and Motorbikes of the EM1-X)
• USB-C Charging
• 10 bit video (preferably internal)
• 4k 60p internal with more bitrate options
• GPS

Let’s hope there’s more to come ?

I would hope so too Andrew.

Cheers,

Simon.

@Sootchucker @Bebop @mazdaman

Re: Noise AI
I note they have updated it from v1.3.3 to shiny new v2.0 and in that move "Split-view swiping has been temporarily removed "

So, for those that updated to v2 'how is it for you'?

Hmm.. I'm still running V1.3.3 and it tells me that's the latest version when I go to "Help" - "Check for software updates" ?

Hmm.. I'm still running V1.3.3 and it tells me that's the latest version when I go to "Help" - "Check for software updates" ?

This changelog might explain the core change that might relate to v1.3.3 not "seeing" an update available???

https://help.topazlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026521811-DeNoise-AI-Changelog

PS I am installing the trial now and they certainly have changed the installer compared to Sharpen and Gigapixel................those two installers have an issue that AFAIK will only be cured when they are migrated to the newer installer"

PS what they have not managed and I saw this on the older installer is, even though selected ~ boxes ticked, was to add the to the Start Menu & Desktop Shortcut. Not a biggy for me but.......oh, so basic surely :LOL:

Last edited:
and pink footed geese in flight with the mk1 and 50-200 + 1.4 tc . so b.i.f can be done with the mk1 just not as well as the mk2
you cant do that by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

As others have said, that's pretty impressive!

< wanders off to download trial and see how it integrates with Capture One

Another thought i've had re the new EM1 MK III - the leaked press release states that the new body has the same 121 all cross point AF system (assuming it's the same unit from the EM1 MK II and EM1X), but I've always thought with the "relative" lack of selectable AF points, then moving the AF point around results in a quite crude AF movement array, and sometimes (even using small AF points), it can be difficult to get an AF point exactly where you want it.

I thought this might be down to the size of the M4/3 sensor, but it seems Panasonic has 225 points on the G9 with much more ability to "fine tune" the AF point to where you want it (but I'm not sure if the Panasonic uses the same AF technology as Olympus ?). Indeed looking at it's peers and then upto to competing APS-C and FF cameras we see the following:

Olympus OMD EM1 MK II 121

Olympus OMD EM1 MK III 121

Olympus OMD EM1 -X 121

Panasonic G9 225

Fuji X-T3 425

Sony A7 III 425

Nikon Z6 273

Nikon Z7 493

Nikon D500 153

So my question is thus, are the relatively small amount of AF point a result of size of it's sensor or not, or just an outdated AF module ?

Last edited:
Olympus Pro price increase coming soon to the UK/Europe? Hence me pulling the trigger on the 300mm PRO last night as it was on my list of lenses I intended to purchase $400 (£300ish) price increase on the 300mm seems steep to me.

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/olympus-confirms-price-rise-for-pro-lenses-on-01-february

.... My first port of call for buying cameras and/or lenses is HDEW (and WEX my second port of call). HDEW tell me that they will not be putting up their prices post Brexit etc etc.

Worth checking out HDEW - I can strongly recommend them from years of direct experience.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/mzuiko-184-c.asp

HTH

Back