Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

another red kite shot from last week

.... Hi Jeff, your recent Red Kite in-flight shots have been really sharp on the bird and managed not to get spoilt by the AF locking onto the busy arboreal background (trees!).

What AF settings are you shooting on please? C-AF with Tracking? Any -2 to +2 or other fine-tuning? I haven't had the opportunity to shoot similar images yet.

.... Hi Jeff, your recent Red Kite in-flight shots have been really sharp on the bird and managed not to get spoilt by the AF locking onto the busy arboreal background (trees!).

What AF settings are you shooting on please? C-AF with Tracking? Any -2 to +2 or other fine-tuning? I haven't had the opportunity to shoot similar images yet.

just C-AF robin its all I use I find c.af+ tracking tends to jump around a lot . the Panasonic lens is now MA adjusted to -2 which seems to have helped and under normal circumstances I tend to use mainly single micro point a.f or occasionally switch to the 4 point cross . all other I find tend to jump around the screen to much . the camera lens combo is light enough and has fast enough A/F to lock on to most birds hand held .not yet used my tripod and gimbal in anger since switching . the only thing I cant get my head around really is how much exposure compensation to dial in with canon or Nikon I could estimate it and get it virtually dead on this tends to vary to much ... its the one annoying part of the system

just C-AF robin its all I use I find c.af+ tracking tends to jump around a lot . the Panasonic lens is now MA adjusted to -2 which seems to have helped and under normal circumstances I tend to use mainly single micro point a.f or occasionally switch to the 4 point cross . all other I find tend to jump around the screen to much . the camera lens combo is light enough and has fast enough A/F to lock on to most birds hand held .not yet used my tripod and gimbal in anger since switching . the only thing I cant get my head around really is how much exposure compensation to dial in with canon or Nikon I could estimate it and get it virtually dead on this tends to vary to much ... its the one annoying part of the system

.... Thanks Jeff.

I nearly always use an AF zone area for C-AF and 5-point 'compass' for S-AF. I think it's perhaps a matter of experimenting to see what personally suits you best. I haven't had any reason yet not to use Tracking which I have in Airplane option.

Re exposure compensation, do you not have the histogram always displayed in your viewfinder? And also, to some extent, WYSIWYG on the whole image in your EVF. You can also bracket the exposure and then inspect what happened afterwards < Says he who never brackets! I'm sure that bracketing is not exclusive to the M1X.

These images have no merit from the point of view of a good photo, but serves as a reminder that no matter how much we are told that the Micro four thirds sensors are ISO and DR limited (and true they are to an extent against APS-C and more against FF), it doesn't mean there is no DR headroom at all.

This shot below, whilst again, not a great shot by any means, was taken with my EM1X over the holidays. I saw the Jay flying from tree to tree and when it landed it was backlit by a very strong grey and featureless overcast sky, and as I suspected, the bird ended up being woefully under exposed. It was a run and gun shot, normally for the bin, but as I was playing with some images in LR and having a bit of fun, I thought I'd see what could be recovered.

The first shot is the jpg straight from camera except cropped to match the "after" photo.

The second shot is with the exposure lifted 3/4 stop, Shadows at +100 and highlights at -94 whilst still not blowing out the highlights. Sure there was a bit of noise but nothing that my new Denoise AI routine couldn't' very successfully clean up. Just goes to show, with a bit of careful PP, a lot of images you might have thought were for the bin can be saved (although sadly not this one as it would take too much PP for me to get rid of all the branches in front of the bird).

Last edited:
These images have no merit from the point of view of a good photo, but serves as a reminder that no matter how much we are told that the Micro four thirds sensors are ISO and DR limited (and true they are to an extent against APS-C and more against FF), it doesn't mean there is no DR headroom at all.

This shot below, whilst again, not a great shot by any means, was taken with my EM1X over the holidays. I saw the Jay flying from tree to tree and when it landed it was backlit by a very strong grey and featureless overcast sky, and as I suspected, the bird ended up being woefully under exposed. It was a run and gun shot, normally for the bin, but as I was playing with some images in LR and having a bit of fun, I thought I'd see what could be recovered.

The first shot is the jpg straight from camera except cropped to match the "after" photo.

The second shot is with the exposure lifted 3/4 stop, Shadows at +100 and highlights at -94 whilst still not blowing out the highlights. Sure there was a bit of noise but nothing that my new Denoise AI routine couldn't' very successfully clean up. Just goes to show, with a bit of careful PP, a lot of images you might have thought were for the bin can be saved (although sadly not this one as it would take too much PP for me to get rid of all the branches in front of the bird).

That’s pretty amazing the splash of colour was such a surprise

.... Best to ignore those who keep telling us such things - It's more about them feeling a need to justify their own system choices in my not so humble opinion.

As you have very well illustrated here, when you understand how to analyse an image and then how you might rescue it, it is far less of a problem. Of course some images are beyond rescue! You can't polish a turd (but you can roll it in glitter!)

THE PHOTOGRAPHER MAKES THE PHOTOGRAPH by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Yes I know I have mispelt Ansel's name but I haven't got around to revising my graphic. I have corrected my forum signature though.

Last edited:
It seems I'm now the owner of a used EM1.2 :banana:

Great choice :)

If not done already once you have received it, don't forget to update the firmware to v3.1...........................and you get another "new" camera upgrade :D

I have to say, that the handling of a camera to me is as important as the ultimate image quality. I have 5 cameras at present (yes I know, too many) and for me, all 5 are the best of their breed as far as ergonomics go.

The EM1X is the best integrated grip camera I've ever handled - (and I've had the Nikon D3 and D4 series before).

The Z6 and Z7 FF mirrorless bodies, are a joy to use with everything in the right place.

The G9 is a bit bigger and heavier than it's peers, but compensates with a high EVF and buttons everywhere for ISO, WB etc.

Then the EM1 MK II. The old stalwart. Over 4 years old now and in digital terms other cameras launched around the same time have been pensioned off. But there's something about holding an EM1 MK II. It's a small solid chunk of a camera. Not too small that you can't touch the buttons, and not too large (like the G9), where you notice it after a few hours on your shoulder. If just feels right - in almost every way. About the only things I'd improve would be a dedicated ISO and WB button, an AF joystick and a better EVF......wait a minute isn't that most of what the new EM1 MK III will be :D. But seriously even though the MK III might "improve" further the tactile feel of the camera with the above improvements, at it's suggested retail of about £1600-£1700 (which I guess we'll know for sure in a few days), it's just not worth it for me over the MK II. As box Brownie said, with the latest 3.1 firmware, it's gets bloody close to my EM1X (albeit without a few of that cameras bells and whistles and AI tracking modes).

I think the best things I can say about the EM1 MK II is that 1) it is by a country mile the longest I've ever owned a body for and have no intentions or getting rid anytime soon, and secondly, if I go some days or weeks without shooting it, when I do eventually pick it up, it feels like a comfortable old friend that I know is going to get the job done. That's how much I rate it, and therefore (for me at least) seeing the rumored specs of the MK III, feels me with a sense of disappointment as it seems just an incremental upgrade over the MK II, whereas the MK II really stepped it's game up from the MK I version. Really think Olympus might have shot themselves in the foot with the MK III version, as MKII's which will be 95% as good, will be able to be got for steal !

Last edited:
Even the mk1 is still a good camera . Not as fast as the mkii but does the job . Sayin* that though there are lots of now “old”cameras out there that still are capable of producing the goodies when coupled to the right lenses and with someone that knows how to use them and process there files , my long term favourite was the canon iDmkiii with the 400mm f5.6 lens never put a foot wrong fast a/f and accurate to I had 4 of them over time ,sold one bought a new bells and whistles model then missed the mkiii and bought another .. and never say never again

Best get over to the GAS confessional....:D
Its more of a personal thing than a GAS thing.

I had to sell my EM1.2 last year because of a tricky financial situation, its good to be on a better footing and being able to buy another.

Still, on saying that I suffer GAS as much as the next man or women ;)

Last edited:
Its more of a personal thing than a GAS thing.

I had to sell my EM1.2 last year because of a tricky financial situation, its good to be on a better footing and being able to buy another.

Still, on saying that I suffer GAS as much as the next man or women ;)

.... Glad to hear things are looking up for you.

full

Last edited:
a very wild and windy morning today (tues) high tide on the estuary plus a storm surge from Ciara pushed the tide right up to the old sea wall . generally it was too hard to hold the camera steady against the wind and constant snow flurries . got lots of shots to go through but as I left driving along the prom I saw this grey heron feasting on a drowning vole grabbed a few (lots ) of shots of it as it played with it . shot directly into the light and processed with topaz Ai
a hard act to swallow by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

a very wild and windy morning today (tues) high tide on the estuary plus a storm surge from Ciara pushed the tide right up to the old sea wall . generally it was too hard to hold the camera steady against the wind and constant snow flurries . got lots of shots to go through but as I left driving along the prom I saw this grey heron feasting on a drowning vole grabbed a few (lots ) of shots of it as it played with it . shot directly into the light and processed with topaz Ai
a hard act to swallow by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Well done in the adverse weather circumstances. However, personally I think there is too much noise reduction for my taste as the plumage has lost fine detail. The tones and colours are spot on but, for me, not the plumage detail.

Did you try it with less NR, Jeff?

Please Note : No-one has to agree with me of course!

Last edited:
The story behind OM-D by Robin Wong :

Robin Wong is one of the best presenters and experts in my opinion.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unKTJI_Q69Q

Somewhat irritating that he makes a video and doesn't know what the Olympus camera model name stands for or if Olympus are telling the truth about the raw files compression and that we seem to be unaware that glass attached to the camera affects the EVF view.
It might be how I interpret these videos, but a lot annoy me.

Somewhat irritating that he makes a video and doesn't know what the Olympus camera model name stands for or if Olympus are telling the truth about the raw files compression and that we seem to be unaware that glass attached to the camera affects the EVF view.
I've absolutely no idea what this rant is about.

Would you like to elucidate?

.... I agree that there are a lot of videos about cameras which are irritating in their style of presentation and also appear to be designed to be controversial primarily for the sake of gaining more views and stroking the ego of the presenter. However, they are not all like that and personally I have always found videos by Robin Wong to be helpfully informative, especially as I am new to Olympus and m4/3.

In the case of this video I feel he is being honest about some things which he doesn't know and furthermore some information which any camera manufacturer might not share with outsiders anyway, such as RAW compression. But he actually informs that RAW compression is not a bad thing in the (unknown and confidential) way which Olympus apply it.

.... I agree that there are a lot of videos about cameras which are irritating in their style of presentation and also appear to be designed to be controversial primarily for the sake of gaining more views and stroking the ego of the presenter. However, they are not all like that and personally I have always found videos by Robin Wong to be helpfully informative, especially as I am new to Olympus and m4/3.

In the case of this video I feel he is being honest about some things which he doesn't know and furthermore some information which any camera manufacturer might not share with outsiders anyway, such as RAW compression. But he actually informs that RAW compression is not a bad thing in the (unknown and confidential) way which Olympus apply it.

I guess its what each individual takes from a video. However the more videos I've listened to, the more they get on my nerves.

Thanks for a positive response.

.... Well done in the adverse weather circumstances. However, personally I think there is too much noise reduction for my taste as the plumage has lost fine detail. The tones and colours are spot on but, for me, not the plumage detail.

Did you try it with less NR, Jeff?

Please Note : No-one has to agree with me of course!
and personally I think its about right robin , the actual RAW file was shot directly INTO the sun hence is already noisy before being cropped in for THE OOMPH effect . my normal (pre-topaz ) method of doing it would have resulted in a very noisy bird .if you do ever come up this way robin you will see the difficulties with shooting from this place and especially as the high tide was around 12.30 midday

and yes have just tried it by my old method and while there is slightly more feather detail there is also more noise AND its as soft as diarorea NUFF SAID

Last edited:
There were still some big waves today at high tide. I am LOVING this 12-100 lens :)

View attachment 268416

.... W O W !!! That is fabulous! The rock looks like a big chunk of land (greenery being the top surface) which the sea has just lifted up and tossed along. Very dynamic.

I’m just setting up the bracketing feature and I’ve noticed there’s no shutter stock option on the custom self timer. I’ve enabled shutter shock in the menu and it’s there for single shot. Am I missing something? I’m sure it was there when I last had an EM1.2.

Well I'm pretty underwhelmed by the EM1-III, especially that it's not upgraded the EVF. The handheld hi res, live ND and joystick are all nice additions but certainly not enough for me to upgrade from the EM1-II. The price is much lower than I thought though, £1599 body only.

Here's a link to their page with the comparison between the EM1-III, EM1-II and EM1x
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...d/e_m1_mark_iii/e_m1_mark_iii_comparison.html

A very strange decision by Olympus. On one hand that have at best created an EM1 MK IIb camera (rather than a true MK III). It's a parts bin dive with everything exactly the same as the MK II other than the AF joystick - no improved EVF (seriously), no improved rear screen, still only one UHS II card slot with the other being UHS I (really...in 2020 UHS I), no 4k 60 (in fact no video improvements at all over the 1x).

Now some might claim that what they have done is create a mini EM1X, and sure, to a point that's correct, but with very little differentiation now in capabilities (save the useless AI tracking modes of the 1X, which they never improved on and built in GPS) between the two cameras, what they have actually done is instantly kill off the EM1X, as the amount of people that actually want an integrated grip camera I guess is quite small (I know I have one, but I'm in the minority I guess). Here at least, the EM1X can be had new for around £2k, and with the EM1 MK III at £1599, where's the incentive to purchase the 1X.

I really don't understand Olympus at all. The release is woeful at best and it will only get worse I fear at the end of this month when Fuji announce their XT-4 (with the XT-3 already murdering the EM1 MK II in specs and price). Then there's the venerable Panasonic G9. Everything that's missing from the EM1 MK III (better viewfinder, 4K 60, 10 bit internal, animal AF etc), is available now for £930 UK. Panasonic must have fallen off their chair laughing at this release. This is a real shame, because as you all know I love Olympus and have invested a ton in their products, but this really makes me thing they have lost the plot totally and that their camera division is being starved of funds in an attempt to try and make it profitable for the group. Trouble is with such luke warm releases as this, I fear they have only made matter worse.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty underwhelmed by the EM1-III, especially that it's not upgraded the EVF. The handheld hi res, live ND and joystick are all nice additions but certainly not enough for me to upgrade from the EM1-II. The price is much lower than I thought though, £1599 body only.

Here's a link to their page with the comparison between the EM1-III, EM1-II and EM1x
https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...d/e_m1_mark_iii/e_m1_mark_iii_comparison.html

Agree not a massive upgrade noticed that some button changes to rear as well. Notice the launch price in the US is just shy of £1400 will be interesting how the price softens over the next few months good time for anyone looking to pick up a Mark 2

This reminds me way back when I wanted a new car. It was at the time when Ford replaced the Cortina with the Sierra.
Same old innards with a new body, nothing very interesting and along came Vauxhall with the all new Mk2 Cavalier (we bought the latter)

I can see Panasonic replacing the G9 with something far more enticing and tempting potential Olympus customers away

Last edited:
A very strange decision by Olympus. On one hand that have at best created an EM1 MK IIb camera (rather than a true MK III). It's a parts bin dive with everything exactly the same as the MK II other than the AF joystick - no improved EVF (seriously), no improved rear screen, still only one UHS II card slot with the other being UHS I (really...in 2020 UHS I), no 4k 60 (in fact no video improvements at all over the 1x).

Now some might claim that what they have done is create a mini EM1X, and sure, to a point that's correct, but with very little differentiation now in capabilities (save the useless AI tracking modes of the 1X, which they never improved on and built in GPS) between the two cameras, what they have actually done is instantly kill off the EM1X, as the amount of people that actually want an integrated grip camera I guess is quite small (I know I have one, but I'm in the minority I guess). Here at least, the EM1X can be had new for around £2k, and with the EM1 MK III at £1599, where's the incentive to purchase the 1X.

I really don't understand Olympus at all. The release is woeful at best and it will only get worse I fear at the end of this month when Fuji announce their XT-4 (with the XT-3 already murdering the EM1 MK II in specs and price). Then there's the venerable Panasonic G9. Everything that's missing from the EM1 MK III (better viewfinder, 4K 60, 10 bit internal, animal AF etc), is available now for £930 UK. Panasonic must have fallen off their chair laughing at this release. This is a real shame, because as you all know I love Olympus and have invested a ton in their products, but this really makes me thing they have lost the plot totally and that their camera division is being starved of funds in an attempt to try and make it profitable for the group. Trouble is with such luke warm releases as this, I fear they have only made matter worse.
What’s more worrying is that Olympus have been struggling financially and imo needed to knock it out of the park. This just seems like no money has been invested into the r&d dept and they’re just recycling their current tech. When I think about it whilst the EM5-III seems like a significant upgrade from the Mark II it’s really only recycling parts from the EM1-II.

The little 12-45 Pro kit lens is all new, but again will it be very popular, f4 and no ois
Doesn't tempt me as a 12-35 f/2.8 owner, also had the Oly 12-40 f/2.8 which I would buy again in preference to this smaller version

Some strange marketing going on, not impressed with the E-M5iii moving away from a metal body for not much weight gain.
Also using a different (smaller) battery to the Mkii is just annoying and doesn't endear anyone to it
These strange decisions seemed to start with the 12-200 lens, another odd one that doesn't appear to fit in anywhere
Despite a very few devotees the E1MX will never be a financial success, guess it was just a R&D test bed so fair enough

Last edited:
im with everyone else totally underwhelmed by this , I could actually make a px profit by trading in my mk1 against it but what for . I don't really utilise all the features on my mkii and there's nothing here to temp me ... as for the Panasonic G9 I know a couple of friends that have them and while o.k there not turning out anything stunning i.q wise .. if it wasn't for a dodgy ticker and a pension I would switch to a Sony A9mkii in a flash

Andy Rouse has been using the mk3 for a few weeks and is now about to put up his review.

I know everyone on 'tinternet, is clamoring for a new sensor for Micro four thirds that has 24-30mp, 1 stop better ISO and better DR, but re-using the same sensor in my mind isn't even the real problem with this launch. To be fair, Olympus were already, in my view, punching above their weight in image quality with this sized sensor, and realistically any improvements in that area were always going to be very subtle rather than revolutionary until either a brand new technology appears for sensor manufacture, Olympus takes a look at smartphone technology with computational image taking and blending for better high ISO results, or they just plain re-write the rules of physics.

No, for me re-using the same "old" sensor isn't the biggest problem. This camera is supposed to be the "new" latest and greatest development of the 4 year old MK II. In that intervening 4 years we have seen across the industry camera with much better EVF's (5mp OLED) higher resolution rear screens, 5gz wireless, 4k at 60p and higher with 10 bit internal recording, AF and particularly AF tracking going off the scale (e.g. Sony) etc. etc. In that 4 years what has Olympus actually done ? Added an AF joystick (that arguably as a pro model at launch the MK II should have always had), added USB charging (that nearly all cameras have now), moved a few buttons and........well that's it for hardware ! In 4 years no new EVF, no better rear screen, no 4k 60, no vastly improved AF (certainly over the MK II FW 3).

Everything else they have added (HHHR, Live ND, Starry Sky, My menu etc.) is all software. I'm not usually a cynic but I'd be prepared to guess that the "new" Truepic 9 processor is actually just an overclocked development of the Truepic 8 from the MK II, and if they would have really wanted to, Olympus could have added most of these features into the MK II via firmware. OK, maybe some of them wouldn't be as fluid or quick as the EM1X, but I would bet it would still have been possible. Point is, Olympus seem to be forgetting that the actual hardware that goes into a camera is what people are looking for too, and with the market for new camera sales globally shrinking so rapidly, Olympus really needed to hit this one out of the park to stay relevant.

Look at it this way. The MK III with it's 90% 2016 hardware has a retail of £1599 (sure it will drop but I suspect not for many months). For that price (as of today on Camera price buster), a Nikon Z6 is £1,549, Sony A7 III £1,699 and a Canon EOS RP for £1,295.00 - and these are full frame with pretty much all the latest tech. Looking at APS-C, you have the Nikon Z50 at £801 and a Fuji X-T3 £1,195.00. Sure the lenses on most of these are sometimes larger (but Nikon has it's collapsible zooms and some of the Fuji's are no bigger than M4/3), but pricewise, the Pro level Olympus or Leica branded Panasonic lenses aren't cheap (or that small). Even the rival Panasonic G9 which is "almost" everything the MK III should have been is £930 brand new UK stock !

So where does that leave Olympus ? Short of selling the MK3 for a loss to compete (which will kill them), honestly I don't know. Olympus are and were a fantastically innovative company and the first company to introduce new tech such as anti dust wave filters, in built IBIS, HHHR, Live ND, Live View (yes they were first), Live bulb, Live time, EVF's etc. A fantastic pedigree but where has that gone ? For me I can only see the following scenarios:
  • Rest on their laurels and "hope" that their user base stays loyal (and to be fair they do have quite a loyal base), and further hope these people continue to "upgrade"
  • Keep losing market share with continuing lack lustre releases at top end prices and basically go out of business (as a camera company at least)
  • Get bought by another larger manufacturer (like Sony did to Minolta), and at least have that Olympus tech and innovation reinvigorated in a new brand even if it doesn't carry the Olympus name (which would be a real shame).
I am an unashamed Olympus fan boy, and love the products I have, but I know for instance that my EM1 MKII is a 4 year old camera and am OK with that. Trouble is there really isn't a viable upgrade path for my MK II as in that 4 years as I said above, things having really dramatically moved on for Olympus.I will of course continue to use and enjoy my Olympus equipment, but honestly if I was asked today to recommend a system, hand on heart, It most likely wouldn't be Olympus. Hopefully Panasonic can keep the M4/3 light alive with perhaps an upgrade to the fantastic G9 which has nearly everything the EM1 MK III is missing, but perhaps making it a little smaller (just a touch) a little lighter and equip it with Phase detect AF (rather than the DFD). For me that would keep me in the M4/3 world as Olympus lenses whilst not cheap are stunning (as are the Leica branded Panasonic ones). However as it stands at the moment, I would have to recommend Sony, Nikon, Fuji etc. over Olympus, something I never thought I'd say - and it really saddens me to say that.

Last edited:
There are some interesting updates, the face and eye detection looks spot on and the hand held hi-res is also useful. Disappointing about the EVF and no upgrade to the image sensor, and I don't necessarily mean more MP. If you didn't own an EM1MKII and were looking for a professional M43 camera then I think this is probably as good as there is on the market, with the exception of the EM1X, which for many M43rds shooters is just to damn big,

Last edited:
Back