Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I have yet to fully dig into the Mk3 but liked Robin Wong's review.

As before and mentioned by others above..................a tad underwhelmed though in parts it depends what a Mk2 user might benefit from:-
USB charging
Face/eye detection AF...............I wonder if a little like some reports of the M1X's AI AF on planes 'working' on BiF ??? Would the face AF help in any way with wildlife???
4 rather 3 Custom Stores
etc???

It will be interesting to see what the wildlfe Visionaries & Ambassadors make it in their reviews :)

Oh, and the firmware has an update for the Mk2 and M1X https://www.olympus-europa.com/site/en/c/cameras_support/downloads/index.html
02/12/2020 and the Mk3 manual is there to download :)

Firmware update 3.2
Possible to use focus stacking photography with M.Zuikio Digital ED 12-45mm F4 PRO.

When EVF Auto Switch is set, you can select how the viewfinder is displayed when the monitor is open.

Off: Disables the eye sensor. Press the display button to switch between the EVF display and the monitor display.

On1: Eye sensor operates regardless of whether the rear monitor is open or closed. Press the display button to switch between the rear-panel monitor Live View display/Super Control Panel display.

On2: The eye sensor does not operate while the rear-panel monitor is open. Press the display button to switch between the rear-panel monitor Live View display/Super Control Panel display.

When you update the firmware to Ver. 3.2, the camera's settings (except the date and time) are reset.

As far as I read the same is stated for the M1X

And I do hope that in regard to "When you update the firmware to Ver. 3.2, the camera's settings (except the date and time) are reset." that Olympus Workspace saves the user setup and Custom Settings to reload onto the body!

Last, on the pre-ordering on the Olympus webshop they have a intro promo of a free battery and bag ;) (NB battery £65 and the backpack £90 RRP )

Last edited:
Part Deux

Looking at the comparison here https://www.olympus.co.uk/site/en/c...d/e_m1_mark_iii/e_m1_mark_iii_comparison.html

I note on the AF section they have included something that I was hoping might have been added to the Mk2 via a firmware update............."User-generated arrays in addition to preset variation" this is an M1X feature and MK2 only has preset ones!

I do not see the Mk3 as a significant upgrade but the improved features are evolutionary and just maybe have some appeal.

As for differentiation, they are still selling the Mk2 alongside the Mk3 and the M1X so there needs to be some 'incentives' to attract either new users or upgraders ~ does there not, withn as appropriate price differentials to 'make the point'.

PS the one thing that Robin Wong mentioned was the EVF magnification being higher and now the same as the M1X, well according to the comparison page above there is no change???

I'm maybe a bit different to most on here because as well as owning an EM1 MK II, I also own an EM1-X. Therefore I already have all the "goodies" that the MK III brings over the MK II. My MK II is more my smaller travel camera, and unfortunately there's very little in the MK 3 (other than perhaps USB charging), that I need in my smaller travel camera. What I really wanted over the MK II was a better EVF experience and higher frame rates for 4K for slow motion (and the dual UHS-II cards that would support that). Sadly none of these have come to the MK 3.

I'm never in the market for the E-M1 line so this is an academic exercise for me :)
I remember from the Mkii launch there was a lot of negativity from the the current Mki users over at e-group.
Then over the next few months lots of them gradually upgraded.
Then the big firmware release tipped most of the remaining users over the edge.
I don't necessarily think this is a great move from Olympus but a lot of people will succumb to G.A.S. anyway.

Olympus sold the E-M10ii and M10iii alongside each other for quite a long time. I don't know if that's because of stock or manufacturing running in parallel but it did offer users the choice.
A bit like car manufacturers offering the base model or the GTi.
You can currently buy 6 versions of the Sony Rx100 at John Lewis from £250-£1000 so there must be some logic to doing this.

I wonder why the OM-D line gets so much attention compared to the PEN which is more loved in their home market.
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...nd-canon-for-japanese-mirrorless-market-share

Last edited:
A real world wildlife user that I like is Petr Bambousek and he has a blog post of his usage and comparison to the M1X and the Mk2 here on a trip to Costa Rica (a favourite place for him? )
http://www.sulasula.com/en/olympus-e-m1-mark-iii-in-costa-rica-1/

Lots to digest so for now I have no comment about it, other than I will be reading it ;)

Petr could get world class shots with an instamatic camera - if only I had 1/4 of the talent (and patience) of that guy. These are the sort of people Olympus really should be pushing in front of the public, as he really leads the way (him and Andy Rouse) on Olympus for wildlife.

I know everyone on 'tinternet, is clamoring for a new sensor for Micro four thirds that has 24-30mp, 1 stop better ISO and better DR, but re-using the same sensor in my mind isn't even the real problem with this launch. To be fair, Olympus were already, in my view, punching above their weight in image quality with this sized sensor, and realistically any improvements in that area were always going to be very subtle rather than revolutionary until either a brand new technology appears for sensor manufacture, Olympus takes a look at smartphone technology with computational image taking and blending for better high ISO results, or they just plain re-write the rules of physics.

No, for me re-using the same "old" sensor isn't the biggest problem. This camera is supposed to be the "new" latest and greatest development of the 4 year old MK II. In that intervening 4 years we have seen across the industry camera with much better EVF's (5mp OLED) higher resolution rear screens, 5gz wireless, 4k at 60p and higher with 10 bit internal recording, AF and particularly AF tracking going off the scale (e.g. Sony) etc. etc. In that 4 years what has Olympus actually done ? Added an AF joystick (that arguably as a pro model at launch the MK II should have always had), added USB charging (that nearly all cameras have now), moved a few buttons and........well that's it for hardware ! In 4 years no new EVF, no better rear screen, no 4k 60, no vastly improved AF (certainly over the MK II FW 3).

Everything else they have added (HHHR, Live ND, Starry Sky, My menu etc.) is all software. I'm not usually a cynic but I'd be prepared to guess that the "new" Truepic 9 processor is actually just an overclocked development of the Truepic 8 from the MK II, and if they would have really wanted to, Olympus could have added most of these features into the MK II via firmware. OK, maybe some of them wouldn't be as fluid or quick as the EM1X, but I would bet it would still have been possible. Point is, Olympus seem to be forgetting that the actual hardware that goes into a camera is what people are looking for too, and with the market for new camera sales globally shrinking so rapidly, Olympus really needed to hit this one out of the park to stay relevant.

Look at it this way. The MK III with it's 90% 2016 hardware has a retail of £1599 (sure it will drop but I suspect not for many months). For that price (as of today on Camera price buster), a Nikon Z6 is £1,549, Sony A7 III £1,699 and a Canon EOS RP for £1,295.00 - and these are full frame with pretty much all the latest tech. Looking at APS-C, you have the Nikon Z50 at £801 and a Fuji X-T3 £1,195.00. Sure the lenses on most of these are sometimes larger (but Nikon has it's collapsible zooms and some of the Fuji's are no bigger than M4/3), but pricewise, the Pro level Olympus or Leica branded Panasonic lenses aren't cheap (or that small). Even the rival Panasonic G9 which is "almost" everything the MK III should have been is £930 brand new UK stock !

So where does that leave Olympus ? Short of selling the MK3 for a loss to compete (which will kill them), honestly I don't know. Olympus are and were a fantastically innovative company and the first company to introduce new tech such as anti dust wave filters, in built IBIS, HHHR, Live ND, Live View (yes they were first), Live bulb, Live time, EVF's etc. A fantastic pedigree but where has that gone ? For me I can only see the following scenarios:
  • Rest on their laurels and "hope" that their user base stays loyal (and to be fair they do have quite a loyal base), and further hope these people continue to "upgrade"
  • Keep losing market share with continuing lack lustre releases at top end prices and basically go out of business (as a camera company at least)
  • Get bought by another larger manufacturer (like Sony did to Minolta), and at least have that Olympus tech and innovation reinvigorated in a new brand even if it doesn't carry the Olympus name (which would be a real shame).
I am an unashamed Olympus fan boy, and love the products I have, but I know for instance that my EM1 MKII is a 4 year old camera and am OK with that. Trouble is there really isn't a viable upgrade path for my MK II as in that 4 years as I said above, things having really dramatically moved on for Olympus.I will of course continue to use and enjoy my Olympus equipment, but honestly if I was asked today to recommend a system, hand on heart, It most likely wouldn't be Olympus. Hopefully Panasonic can keep the M4/3 light alive with perhaps an upgrade to the fantastic G9 which has nearly everything the EM1 MK III is missing, but perhaps making it a little smaller (just a touch) a little lighter and equip it with Phase detect AF (rather than the DFD). For me that would keep me in the M4/3 world as Olympus lenses whilst not cheap are stunning (as are the Leica branded Panasonic ones). However as it stands at the moment, I would have to recommend Sony, Nikon, Fuji etc. over Olympus, something I never thought I'd say - and it really saddens me to say that.
Pretty much sums it up for me tbh. I love Olympus, but as you say this feels like a 4 year old camera with some software tweaks.

Pretty much sums it up for me tbh. I love Olympus, but as you say this feels like a 4 year old camera with some software tweaks.

Couldn't that be said for quite a few manufacturers and their latest cameras?

Was never going to buy an E-M1iii, but can see how anyone waiting for the new model would be disappointed.
Interested to see what a Panasonic G10 might be like, assuming they make one of course

Reading the Petr Bambousek blog

Some standouts, so far?:-
There is now an up to 35 elements "My Menu" available
The ability to 'on the fly' add changes to & within the Custom Mode settings. In the Mk2 you have to go into the Menu and set apply the current settings to the appropriate C button

There may be some more that look good to me......?

In general, it costs more than the Mk2 but less than the M1X and price difference between the it and Mk2 is of the order of £400 (list price)..................though right now with the freebies thrown in by Olympus to sweeten it for those that this might swing it on is appealing.

For me, I do like the overall package of additions but is it enough to justify a purchase remains to be seen (NB I would not sell my Mk2 but subject to the sort of trip with full gear ~ have my 12-40 on the Mk2 and longer lens on the Mk3.............:wistfull: look and :runaway:o_O:giggle::banghead: ~ time to sell the last of my Canon gear.....??? :banghead::banghead::banghead: )

Interesting release from Olympus.

Now very glad I bought into Sony as I was unsure whether to wait for the MK3 announcement.

Looks like I made the right choice.

Yes Sony lenses are much more expensive than the Olympus range but I'm happily using my old Pentax manual focus lenses on the Sony predominantly.

I think I saw WEX are taking pre-orders and will be bundling Capture1 worth(?) £229

Wot, more software :LOL:

Couldn't that be said for quite a few manufacturers and their latest cameras?

Was never going to buy an E-M1iii, but can see how anyone waiting for the new model would be disappointed.
Interested to see what a Panasonic G10 might be like, assuming they make one of course
Most seem to offer more hardware advancements imo.

Olympus 300mm F4 PRO currently on offer at WEX and Park cameras £1478 That is cheapest its been in the past year, forgot the mark 3 upgrade invest in glass! Amazon also have the 40-150 2.8 Pro at £844

Seems I'm the only one that likes the looks of the EM1 mk 3 ? And the 12-45.

Small, light and clever thats what M43 should be for me. Really like the look of the image stabilization and built in ND filters - would mean I could get away with never using a tripod.

Last edited:
Are SOME of you guys feeling underwhelmed and disappointed that your individual expectations have not been met? :rolleyes:

Well, just have a read of this before you decide whether this mark III camera is the 'best' one for you or not :

It might not be the 'best' for you but it might be for someone else out there and who lives outside Talk Photography.

Are SOME of you guys feeling underwhelmed and disappointed that your individual expectations have not been met? :rolleyes:

Well, just have a read of this before you decide whether this mark III camera is the 'best' one for you or not :

It might not be the 'best' for you but it might be for someone else out there and who lives outside Talk Photography.
:plus1:

As noted here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-468#post-8624434;)

And here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-468#post-8624508
In regard to my growing interest in the mk3

Last edited:
I didn't have any expectations and was never going to buy it.

Thought they could have come up with something a bit more exciting after four years
Reminds me of the long wait for the GnR album Chinese Democracy, years in the making and less than impressive when finally released

When you update the firmware to Ver. 3.2, the camera's settings (except the date and time) are reset.

As far as I read the same is stated for the M1X

And I do hope that in regard to "When you update the firmware to Ver. 3.2, the camera's settings (except the date and time) are reset." that Olympus Workspace saves the user setup and Custom Settings to reload onto the body!

.... It doesn't automatically save your Custom Settings in Workspace - You instruct it to do so via the top Menu bar drop down.

And similarly after you have updated the firmware you select to Reload whichever set amongst those you have previously saved. By default they are saved with a title constructed from the date of saving but you can rename them if you wish.

HTH

Last edited:
.... It doesn't automatically save your Custom Settings in Workspace - You instruct it to do so via the top Menu bar drop down.

And similarly after you have updated the firmware you select to Reload whichever set amongst those you have previously saved. By default they are saved with a title constructed from the date of saving but you can rename them if you wish.

HTH

Thanks for the insight, as far as I recall the original Firmware updater copied (on bodies like the MK2 that worked to backup settings) the settings unless 'clicked' not to and then reloaded them once firmware was updated.

Thanks for the insight, as far as I recall the original Firmware updater copied (on bodies like the MK2 that worked to backup settings) the settings unless 'clicked' not to and then reloaded them once firmware was updated.

.... When you say "the original Firmware updater" I assume this is pre Olympus Workspace. What I have described is in Workspace and within the last few months. I have updated the Firmware on two E-M1X bodies twice and tomorrow will update them both to the latest version just made available.

.... When you say "the original Firmware updater" I assume this is pre Olympus Workspace. What I have described is in Workspace and within the last few months. I have updated the Firmware on two E-M1X bodies twice and tomorrow will update them both to the latest version just made available.

Yes, the one prior to Workspace.....it was just an updater not the, by comparison, bloatware of Workspace

Having read and watched several reviews/opinions by professionals about the Mark III (Petr Bambousek, Andy Rouse, Robin Wong), I come to the conclusion that the Mark III is definitely a significant albeit subtle step up from the Mark II - In short, it embodies many of the M1X features. Even its latest Olympus single processor matches the power of the twin processors of the M1X.

If the M1X is physically too big for your preference (it's too small for my preference), then the Mark III is the way to go for the top of the Olympus range. Be aware that you need to mount Olympus Pro lenses to unlock M1 Mark III and M1X fullest potential.

The only question is whether the Mark III is for you individually, either as your entry to the M1 range or as an upgrade from the Mark II. Price plays a part of course but if you are serious about your photography the cost is secondary - In time you will find a way!

Having said that, I will repeat Ansel Adam's famous quote about the photographer making the photograph rather than the camera doing so (in my signature below) and so you don't necessarily need to upgrade... yet!

The next version of the M1X will be interesting but I hope it's not soon! And then a catchup M1 Mark IV will follow. Technology never stands still.

I'm hoping for a serious firmware upgrade to the EM1X rather than the very minor one from yesterday. Would love more AI tracking modes (to include birds, animals and humans etc.), 4K60 video (which I'm sure the sensor and twin processor could handle), and then some of the other "improvements" from MK III - simplified control panel, better Face and Eye AF etc.

To be honest though, after over a year of just very minor upgrades, I fear this will never happen.

I'm hoping for a serious firmware upgrade to the EM1X rather than the very minor one from yesterday. Would love more AI tracking modes (to include birds, animals and humans etc.), 4K60 video (which I'm sure the sensor and twin processor could handle), and then some of the other "improvements" from MK III - simplified control panel, better Face and Eye AF etc.

To be honest though, after over a year of just very minor upgrades, I fear this will never happen.

.... I agree it was very minor, but I find it impossible to speculate about what, if any, further M1X Firmware upgrades may come or not. Meanwhile, after shooting many thousands of images on the M1X since last November, I am still learning! Personally I don't find it obviously lacking in any aspect whatsoever so far - I still need to improve my skills in using it!

My most popular M1X image so far : Best viewed on Flickr :

A FLOTILLA OF FIVE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[I am hoping I haven't already posted this image in this thread!]

Having read and watched several reviews/opinions by professionals about the Mark III (Petr Bambousek, Andy Rouse, Robin Wong), I come to the conclusion that the Mark III is definitely a significant albeit subtle step up from the Mark II - In short, it embodies many of the M1X features. Even its latest Olympus single processor matches the power of the twin processors of the M1X.
There's no doubt the Mk III is an upgrade, whether or not 'you' think it's a significant one is debatable imo. It does tick a lot of boxes in terms of features brought over from the EM1x (hand held hi res and live ND) but I think the big disappointment for me is the EVF. The Olympus EVF isn't bad by any means, but tech moves on and Olympus is being left behind in this department. It is very noticeable how far the EVF is when I compare it to my Z7, or the one in the Sony A7RIV and Fuji X-T3. Having a nice big clear EVF does add to the pleasure of this photography lark imo.

All this being said, if I didn't already own the EM1-II and was in the market for a hi-end 'pro performance' M4/3 body then the EM1-III would be a great option, and would be the one I'd go for. I just find it very disappointing that they are essentially using the same EVF that they have for the past 7 years.

In case anyone is interested Olympus Guru days coming to a town near you. I shall have a look on Friday in LCE Taunton for some hands on experience. Really hope they have the 12-45 as my lens line up does not cover the 12-45 or 12-40, as much as I like the 12-100 I own I may want to add the shorter zoom to my line up in the future

https://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/2020-guru-days

There's no doubt the Mk III is an upgrade, whether or not 'you' think it's a significant one is debatable imo. It does tick a lot of boxes in terms of features brought over from the EM1x (hand held hi res and live ND) but I think the big disappointment for me is the EVF. The Olympus EVF isn't bad by any means, but tech moves on and Olympus is being left behind in this department. It is very noticeable how far the EVF is when I compare it to my Z7, or the one in the Sony A7RIV and Fuji X-T3. Having a nice big clear EVF does add to the pleasure of this photography lark imo.

All this being said, if I didn't already own the EM1-II and was in the market for a hi-end 'pro performance' M4/3 body then the EM1-III would be a great option, and would be the one I'd go for. I just find it very disappointing that they are essentially using the same EVF that they have for the past 7 years.

.... You are often wanting to debate my opinions Toby :D - I am merely giving my opinion - I think it is significant although it obviously doesn't meet 'your' expectations.

I don't compare the EVF of my M1X with my Canon EOS-R, nor make other comparisons with my Canon 1DX-2. Neither do I care two figs what either Sony or Fuji are doing - I don't shoot with their gear. The Olympus M1 system including its EVF isn't so bad as to bother me - I focus on the camera in my hand and get on with it.

I'd be surprised if the E-M1X didn't get at least one more firmware upgrade for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics given the prestige involved for the event in their home market.

.... And also because Olympus have already made public that their new 150-400mm+1.25x Pro lens is due to be available "this summer" and it would make a lot of sense for that lens to be out for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. A M1X Firmware upgrade, and indeed also a M1 Mark III Firmware upgrade, would very likely be needed to match the new lens features to the body.

When the 300mm F/4 Pro was first launched it wouldn't work before a M1X Firmware upgrade was done on my 1.0 version IIRC. Also, it was definitely the same case with a Canon RF lens on my mirrorless EOS-R. Exploiting electronic communications between lenses and bodies via Firmware is common to all modern digital camera manufacturers.

Last edited:
.... You are often wanting to debate my opinions Toby :D - I am merely giving my opinion - I think it is significant although it obviously doesn't meet 'your' expectations.

I don't compare the EVF of my M1X with my Canon EOS-R, nor make other comparisons with my Canon 1DX-2. Neither do I care two figs what either Sony or Fuji are doing - I don't shoot with their gear. The Olympus M1 system including its EVF isn't so bad as to bother me - I focus on the camera in my hand and get on with it.
That’s what this whole forum is isn’t it, one big debate ;) :p

.... I agree it was very minor, but I find it impossible to speculate about what, if any, further M1X Firmware upgrades may come or not. Meanwhile, after shooting many thousands of images on the M1X since last November, I am still learning! Personally I don't find it obviously lacking in any aspect whatsoever so far - I still need to improve my skills in using it!

My most popular M1X image so far : Best viewed on Flickr :

A FLOTILLA OF FIVE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[I am hoping I haven't already posted this image in this thread!]

Fab photo Robin.

Well having had my E-M5 iii for a few days now, I thought I'd give some honest first impressions.

Pros:
  1. The biggest plus for me is that it's basically an E-M5 ii with proper AF for moving things. The AF system does work excellently.
  2. USB charging already proving handy
  3. Despite concerns about the more extensive use of plastic, in reality I don't notice it at all. Maybe I'd be bothered if I ever had an E-M5ii next to it but it's gone from being a major concern to a total non-issue.
  4. It's small and light (of course)
  5. Though I'm not a video guy, I can see that video options and quality are a big step up from the ii and some of those new features might come in handy for family stuff.
  6. I really like pro-capture!
Cons:
  1. Battery life. No worse than the ii but that isn't saying much. When you're shooting for a while it really is something you have to give consideration to. Spare non-oem batteries are cheap so I now have a few but it's certainly a big downside vs. the E-M1ii.
  2. No battery grip option. Could be a problem for me if I ever want to leave it out shooting star trails.
  3. No L-brackets available yet.
  4. No way that I can see to dedicate a button to give direct access to different AF modes (AF-C, AF-S, AF-C+Tr etc).
  5. No way of mapping custom modes to other mode dial positions. This would be nice.
  6. Only 3 custom mode slots. I didn't realise how big a pain this would be but I would like at least one or two more.
  7. It's expensive. I've paid the price for being fairly early to the party but £1k is a lot for a 'travel' camera. I'm over it now but a bit hard to stomach when the X-T30 is kicking around for £600.
Despite listing more cons than pros I am actually very happy with my decision and most of the negatives are minor things that I'd already come to terms with before purchase. I was a big of the original E-M5 but it was a bit quirky at times. The ii felt like it addressed all of those issues but I could never rely on it as my only camera because I didn't trust it at all to deal with moving subjects. The iii now deals with that so we'll see how I get on with it being my only camera. Seems great so far I must admit and I'm loving using some of the more exotic M4/3 lenses again.
A few from a quick trip up to Scotland this week.

Benvane Moon by G.A.D, on Flickr

Snowy Robin by G.A.D, on Flickr

Friendly Stag by G.A.D, on Flickr

Glen Coe and Loch Achtriochtan by G.A.D, on Flickr

Glen Coe by G.A.D, on Flickr

A84 by G.A.D, on Flickr

Brrrrrr by G.A.D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well having had my E-M5 iii for a few days now, I thought I'd give some honest first impressions.

Pros:
  1. The biggest plus for me is that it's basically and E-M5 ii with proper AF for moving things. The AF system does work excellently.
  3. Despite concerns about the more extensive use of plastic, in reality I don't notice at all. Maybe I'd be bothered if I ever had an E-M5ii next to it but it's gone from being a major concern to a total non-issue.
  5. Though I'm not a video guy, I can see that video options and quality are a big step up from the ii and some of those new features might come in handy for family stuff.
Cons:
  1. Battery life. No worse than the ii but that isn't saying much. When you're shooting for a while it really is something you have to give consideration to. Spare non-oem batteries are cheap so I now have a few but it's certainly a big downside vs. the E-M1ii.
  2. No battery grip option. Could be a problem for me if I ever want to leave it out shooting star trails.
  4. No way that I can see to dedicate a button to give direct access to different AF modes (AF-C, AF-S, AF-C+Tr etc).
  5. No way of mapping custom modes to other mode dial positions. This would be nice.
  6. Only 3 custom mode slots. I didn't realise how big a pain this would be but I would like at least one or two more.
  7. It's expensive. I've paid the price for being fairly early to the party but £1k is a lot for a 'travel' camera. I'm over it now but a bit hard to stomach when the X-T30 is kicking around for £600.
Despite listing more cons than pros I am actually very happy with my decision and most of the negatives are minor things that I'd already come to terms with before purchase. I was a big of the original E-M5 but it was a bit quirky at times. The ii felt like it addressed all of those issues but I could never rely on it as my only camera because I didn't trust it all to deal with moving subjects. The iii now deals with that so we'll see how I get on with it being my only choice. Seems great so far I must admit and I'm loving using some of the more exotic M4/3 lenses again.
A few from a quick trip up to Scotland.

A84 by G.A.D, on Flickr

Glencoe pic is great. Glad you’re happy with your purchase (y)

I have three Olympus BLH-1 batteries with the camera when I bought it from Ffordes (as new body 806 shots) I would like to buy a 4th battery and because I have 3 Olympus batteries I happy to buy as a 4th back up a 3rd party battery any recommendations please? Thanks

Last edited:

Pros:
  1. The biggest plus for me is that it's basically an E-M5 ii with proper AF for moving things. The AF system does work excellently.
  3. Despite concerns about the more extensive use of plastic, in reality I don't notice at all. Maybe I'd be bothered if I ever had an E-M5ii next to it but it's gone from being a major concern to a total non-issue.
Cons:
Despite listing more cons than pros I am actually very happy with my decision and most of the negatives are minor things that I'd already come to terms with before purchase. I was a big of the original E-M5 but it was a bit quirky at times. The ii felt like it addressed all of those issues but I could never rely on it as my only camera because I didn't trust it all to deal with moving subjects. The iii now deals with that so we'll see how I get on with it being my only choice. Seems great so far I must admit and I'm loving using some of the more exotic M4/3 lenses again.
A few from a quick trip up to Scotland.

A84 by G.A.D, on Flickr

Thanks for the review Graham - don't know if you have an E-M1II but if you do, would you say the CAF on the E-M5III is as good as on the E-M1III? I might have to follow suit and upgrade my E-M5II if that's the case.

The E-M5III appears to be what I've always hoped Olympus would release: a weather-sealed travel camera as light as possible and with usable CAF capability.

Thanks for the review Graham - don't know if you have an E-M1II but if you do, would you say the CAF on the E-M5III is as good as on the E-M1III? I might have to follow suit and upgrade my E-M5II if that's the case.

The E-M5III appears to be what I've always hoped Olympus would release: a weather-sealed travel camera as light as possible and with usable CAF capability.

Have a look at this

View: https://youtu.be/hxL10Yk_isc

@gad-westy can the E-M5ii charge from a power bank while in use as thats possible on the E-M1iii

Back