Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks for the review Graham - don't know if you have an E-M1II but if you do, would you say the CAF on the E-M5III is as good as on the E-M1III? I might have to follow suit and upgrade my E-M5II if that's the case.

The E-M5III appears to be what I've always hoped Olympus would release: a weather-sealed travel camera as light as possible and with usable CAF capability.

Sounds like your priorities are aligned with mine. I've always loved the E-M5's for travel. Enough image quality for any of my own likely purposes, loaded with features, witchcraft IBIS and probably the biggest pull is the choice of lenses.

From what I gather the E-M5 iii and E-M1 ii share identical AF systems so that should answer your question. I don't own an E-M1ii but I borrowed one through test and wow the weekend prior to buying the E-M5iii. The AF is remarkable compared to the E-M5ii, D800 and X100T that I've been used to more recently. I know they aren't great yard sticks these days and Sony in particular can sell you cameras that probably never miss focus on anything but honestly for me, the current Olympus offerings are just fine. The biggest challenge I have subjected my E-M5iii to is our 10 month old dalmation running straight at the camera. Keeper rates aren't 100% but I can probably get 70-80% now that I've done a bit of trial and error with settings. I wouldn't have fancied the chances of my E-M5ii even getting one sharp shot under those circumstances and I'd have probably favoured using some sort of manual trap focus technique. For really fast, erratic moving stuff (and I'd count our dog in that category!) you do need to spend some time tweaking settings and it can make a big difference to performance. But at the less challenging end of the spectrum I took a burst of my daughter riding her bike towards the camera and every shot of that burst was sharp with no mucking around in the menus.

The guys on here who use the E-M1ii for birds in flight can probably give you a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the AF system but suffice to say, for my needs I'm more than happy.

Last edited:
@gad-westy can the E-M5ii charge from a power bank while in use as thats possible on the E-M1iii

Unfortunately not. The camera must be turned off. There is a work around by using a dummy battery like the link below. Unless I have some particular project in mind, I doubt it will become an issue but it is another example of where Olympus seem to have done a little 'holding back' with the E-M5iii presumably to keep it well apart from the E-M1iii. The previous two generations were available with actual battery grips which would have made that problem go away. I guess they could still do that but since it wasn't available at launch I have my doubts.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32838601130.html

In other news, I bought my E-M5iii from local LCE (excellent by the way) so I got in on the free hand grip offer. I remember Fuji doing similar when I bought my X-T2 but with their offer I had to wait about 6 weeks to get my hands on it. Olympus; I filled the web form in on Monday and the grip was here on Wednesday morning. That was quite impressive!!

Last edited:
Sounds like your priorities are aligned with mine. I've always loved the E-M5's for travel. Enough image quality for any of my own likely purposes, loaded with features, witchcraft IBIS and probably the biggest pull is the choice of lenses.

From what I gather the E-M5 iii and E-M1 ii share identical AF systems so that should answer your question. I don't own an E-M1ii but I borrowed one through test and wow the weekend prior to buying the E-M5iii. The AF is remarkable compared to the E-M5ii, D800 and X100T that I've been used to more recently. I know they aren't great yard sticks these days and Sony in particular can sell you cameras that probably never miss focus on anything but honestly for me, the current Olympus offerings are just fine. The biggest challenge I have subjected my E-M5iii to is our 10 month old dalmation running straight at the camera. Keeper rates aren't 100% but I can probably get 70-80% now that I've done a bit of trial and error with settings. I wouldn't have fancied the chances of my E-M5ii even getting one sharp shot under those circumstances and I'd have probably favoured using some sort of manual trap focus technique. For really fast, erratic moving stuff (and I'd count our dog in that category!) you do need to spend some time tweaking settings and it can make a big difference to performance. But at the less challenging end of the spectrum I took a burst of my daughter riding her bike towards the camera and every shot of that burst was sharp with no mucking around in the menus.

The guys on here who use the E-M1ii for birds in flight can probably give you a better idea of the strengths and weaknesses of the AF system but suffice to say, for my needs I'm more than happy.

Thanks I have an E-M1II and use it with CAF mostly. If the E-M5III delivers similar CAF results that would be a great reason to upgrade (for me) along with reduced weight and higher pixel count, despite the rather high initial price.

Thanks I have an E-M1II and use it with CAF mostly. If the E-M5III delivers similar CAF results that would be a great reason to upgrade (for me) along with reduced weight and higher pixel count, despite the rather high initial price.

Everything I've read suggests they are the same and the AF performance I've experienced from both doesn't make me doubt that. I deliberated long and hard between the E-M1ii and E-M5iii. They seem to be about the same price now new or used although the E-M1ii can be bought grey where as the E-M5iii can't yet. I have to admit the ergonomics of the E-M1ii are much better. You'll know this already. But while that makes a big difference when shooting all day, particularly with a big lens, I rationalised that the vast majority of my shooting is either family trips out or landscape trips (either dedicated or as part of a mountaineering trip). In those scenarios, a small form factor (within reason) is an advantage and I do find the E-M5iii better than the E-M5ii to hold particularly the thumb grip area. I considered that I could always add the grip to the E-M5iii if I'm going to hold it all day where as I could never make the E-M1ii smaller. USB charging was a big attraction too for travelling light and keeping things simple. One power bank and a short cable can charge my camera, kindle and head torch.

Oh sorry, meant to say one more thing regarding C-AF. I use back button focus. It's ingrained from my Nikon days and is by far my preferred way of shooting. The E-M5iii makes this much easier than the ii by having a more appropriately sized button that is better positioned. Only problem I find as a left eye shooter is that my thumb get in the way a bit when operating AF but it's not a big problem. Don't think that happened on the E-M1ii so I guess there must be a bit more space.

Last edited:
Oh actually. another thing worth mentioning @maarten.dhaese . Depending how you have your E-M1ii set up, you may find the E-M5iii has fewer customisable buttons than you'd like. I perhaps could do with one or two more although the SCP is a pretty fast way to access most things.

Currently (for stills) I have mine set for:

ISO button: ISO
Rec button: S-OVF on/off
+/-: Exposure comp
Display: Toggles EVF/eye sensor on and off
Mode button: Shooting mode (cont H, timer etc)
Front button: magnification
AEF/AFL: AF-On
Toggle switch: AF/MF

I would have quite liked to be able to assign the ISO button to do both ISO and WB like you can on the E-M5ii. I'd have also liked a button to go to home AF point. You can assign this but I ran out! Ditto bracketing.

Last edited:
sod the mkiii wex are currently selling the 300MM F4 for £1478.00 seriously tempted .thats £42 quid cheaper than panamoz ??

Last edited:
sod the mkiii wex are currently selling the 300MM F4 for £1478.00 seriously tempted .thats £42 quid cheaper than panamoz ??
Jeff the 300mm pro had gone up to 1520 at Panamoz but you do get the 3 year warranty Thankfully I paid 1490 and with the refund of 50 for delay think I did ok. Managed to pick a MC-20 Tele converter yesterday from WEX yesterday for 275 very happy now I have my lenses sorted the 300 is a very very nice lens glad I said sod it live life to the full the other week[emoji106]

Last edited:
.... W O W !!! That is fabulous! The rock looks like a big chunk of land (greenery being the top surface) which the sea has just lifted up and tossed along. Very dynamic.
Thanks Robin. It is a big chunk, it used to be an arch, but that fell about 25 years ago. Here is a shot with two black backed gulls on the top - for scale. I got a shot with my canon of them flying off as a big wave hit. They nest up there.
Edit - actually I think there is only 1 gull!
20200211-BC119604.jpg

and another closer wave - although scrutinising it, my fence isn't as sharp as I'd like.

20200211-BC119561.jpg

Last edited:
Ask Panamoz to price match. They might not be able to get it exact but may knock a bit off.

.... I agree it was very minor, but I find it impossible to speculate about what, if any, further M1X Firmware upgrades may come or not. Meanwhile, after shooting many thousands of images on the M1X since last November, I am still learning! Personally I don't find it obviously lacking in any aspect whatsoever so far - I still need to improve my skills in using it!

My most popular M1X image so far : Best viewed on Flickr :

A FLOTILLA OF FIVE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

[I am hoping I haven't already posted this image in this thread!]
Excellent. Love the colours in this.

Sorry to bombard with so many posts all at once... I'm catching up!

@Box Brownie thanks for the heads up on theEm1ii firmware update. I can confirm that using the old updater, despite what it says in the notes, has kept all my previous settings.

I haven't tried the Olympus Workspace yet :eek:

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. It is a big chunk, it used to be an arch, but that fell about 25 years ago. Here is a shot with two black backed gulls on the top - for scale. I got a shot with my canon of them flying off as a big wave hit. They nest up there.
View attachment 268659

and another closer wave - although scrutinising it, my fence isn't as sharp as I'd like.

View attachment 268660

Both cracking stormy weather images,.......make sure to stay safe, especially with such photography on the promenade!

Sorry to bombard with so many posts all at once... I'm catching up!

@Box Brownie thanks for the heads up on theEm1ii firmware update. I can confirm that using the old updater, despite what it says in the notes, mine has kept all my previous settings.

I haven't tried the Olympus Workspace yet :eek:

Thanks for confirming that the older previous updater is still doing "it's job" :)

As for Olympus Workspace, I have downloaded it but not installed it (yet!) Anyone buying the MK3 , subject to how quickly software makers profile it's RAW format, will need it to convert the RAW's into TIFF files in the meantime!

Both cracking stormy weather images,.......make sure to stay safe, especially with such photography on the promenade!
Thanks. Yes at one point it almost dribbled around my feet. On the same day, one of my camera club members wrecked his phone and camera in the same spot (but I'm guessing a bit nearer)

I've just updated Workspace too. Does anyone really use this? I find just trying to straighten a horizon really clunky.

So I paid a visit to my local LCE which had guru roadshow here is what I learnt spending some time chatting about the Olympus brand.

The mark 3 was in-store and a little play with the new 12-45 attached nice combination but no reason to upgrade for me as my move to Olympus was in December just about getting grips with the mark 2 Will I buy a Mark 3 in the future yes but not until the price softens to 1K either secondhand or grey import

1 Launch of the 150 400 is on track for October no pricing at the moment but figures quoted on internet unfounded " more expensive than the 300 but competitive" make of that what you will

2 Olympus 100 400 looking at a mid year launch no decision at the moment if the lens will be pro grade likely to be "splash proof" but not Ipx1 rated pricing " competitive" with current marketing offerings

3 Got the chance to use/feel the new 12 45 nice lens could see it in my bag nice compact light lens no manual focus on lens but not a deal breaker 599 launch price

4 Mentioned the likely hood of any firmware updates from the mark 3 to the 2 and it would appear no plans to do so which I get as Olympus would like mark 1 and 2 users to upgrade

Have to say the sales guy was knowledgeable and welcome feedback on how my transition from Canon to Olympus had gone.

LCE conjunction with Olympus had a 15% off new lens offer in store for today.

Came away thinking that my migration away from Canon was the right decision[emoji106]

Last edited:
Last edited:
An unusual situation has just arisen with my EM5.2 which I am looking to sell. I remember when it arrived from LCE about three months ago I checked the shutter count and it was at around 18-19000 I can't remember exactly. I decided to recheck today so I could use the info on the sale and it now says 106. Its clearly reset itself probably when I updated to the latest firmware. Anyone else heard of or had this problem before?

So I paid a visit to my local LCE which had guru roadshow here is what I learnt spending some time chatting about the Olympus brand.

1 - launch of the 150 400 is on track for October no pricing at the moment but figures quoted on internet unfounded " more expensive than the 300 but competitive" make of that what you will

.... October!!? That's not "expected summer 2020 "! :( Were these Olympus people at LCE who said October?

I am in the forests of Finland in September photographing wild Bears and wanted to at least hire the lens for that trip. Hmm, thank goodness the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro + MC-20 (or MC-14) is so sharp! No zoom though. My second M1X + 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + MC-20 will have to be at the ready. For obvious reasons the hides there have a tight envelope around the lens. I'm gonna need two hide windows.

Oh well, worse things happen at sea.

Yes October is not much use so that would make it February 2021 to be of use to me ,pleased I bought a Sony system for the 200/600 at leased i have the zoom range I need.

Rob.

Hi Robin yes it was from the horse's mouth so to speak the Olympus rep mentioned that he was asked this week on his trips to the various LCE shops. Having worked with my R and D department product launches never run as planned

Interestingly he did mention that when 150 400 is released he hopes that enough supply is in place as when the 300 was launched demand outstripped demand.
.... October!!? That's not "expected summer 2020 "! :( Were these Olympus people at LCE who said October?

I am in the forests of Finland in September photographing wild Bears and wanted to at least hire the lens for that trip. Hmm, thank goodness the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro + MC-20 (or MC-14) is so sharp! No zoom though. My second M1X + 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + MC-20 will have to be at the ready. For obvious reasons the hides there have a tight envelope around the lens. I'm gonna need two hide windows.

Ooh...me likey Simon (y)

Out of curiosity, how do you get on with the 2xTC on the 40-150? In the past I've bought and sold long telephotos as I always like the idea of owning one and then it never gets much use vs the outlay. It did occur to me that having a 2x available for the 40-150 2.8 might just cover me when I feel like shooting longer.

Out of curiosity, how do you get on with the 2xTC on the 40-150? In the past I've bought and sold long telephotos as I always like the idea of owning one and then it never gets much use vs the outlay. It did occur to me that having a 2x available for the 40-150 2.8 might just cover me when I feel like shooting longer.

.... I have tried it but not extensively yet. That's because I have the choice of an Olympus 300mm F/4 (600mm equivalent) faster lens alternative to the 40-150mm + 2x (160-600mm equivalent). But now I have a second M1X body I plan to try it alongside so that I have a zoom option. In fact late yesterday afternoon I got the call to photograph some surfer friends but I only used the 300mm. Next time I get the call I'll make a point of testing the zoom + MC-20 combo and will post about it - I was planning to do this anyway before I read your post.

My experience so far is that the Olympus Pro TCs work extremely well on Pro lenses.

I just checked my Flickr album and have lots of examples of the 40-150mm + MC-14 combo but not + MC-20 :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157711552661781

Last edited:
Weirdly, I read from a few people across various forums that the TC-20 is supposed to be as sharp (if not a wee bit sharper) than the TC-14. Find it hard to believe myself, but the fact that some folk believe this would suggest that it must at least be very good ?

.... I have tried it but not extensively yet. That's because I have the choice of an Olympus 300mm F/4 (600mm equivalent) faster lens alternative to the 40-150mm + 2x (160-600mm equivalent). But now I have a second M1X body I plan to try it alongside so that I have a zoom option. In fact late yesterday afternoon I got the call to photograph some surfer friends but I only used the 300mm. Next time I get the call I'll make a point of testing the zoom + MC-20 combo and will post about it - I was planning to do this anyway before I read your post.

My experience so far is that the Olympus Pro TCs works extremely well on Pro lenses.

I just checked my Flickr album and have lots of examples of the 40-150mm + MC-14 combo :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157711552661781

Cheers Robin. Look forward to hearing your feedback.

I've used the MC-14 a fair bit in the past and it does indeed work well but probably after a bit more reach than that can give. My original plan was to save up the pennies and buy a 100-400 but I could foresee that being left at home a lot where as a slipping a 2x into the bag makes barely any difference.

I've used the MC-14 a fair bit in the past and it does indeed work well but probably after a bit more reach than that can give. My original plan was to save up the pennies and buy a 100-400 but I could foresee that being left at home a lot where as a slipping a 2x into the bag makes barely any difference.

I've seen lots of images on the Mu-43.com website of the 40-150mm Pro with the MC-20 - they generally look very good.

Last edited:

.... Generally in the past, regardless of brand, 2x have often been criticised as a compromise on image quality. However, Olympus have in my opinion (and in other photographers' opinions) really made such criticisms a thing of the past when combined with their specific Pro lenses.

I was in Greece in February with well known wildlife and landscape professional Guy Edwardes and we were literally standing on a beach side by side photographing some Great White Flamingos. He was shooting on his Canon EF 600mm F/4L II + 2x III and I was shooting on my Olympus ED 300mm F/4 (600mm equivalent) + 2x, therefore both shooting exactly the same subject in the same light at 1200mm. When he was visiting me at home recently he asked to see my original RAW file at 100% on my Eizo monitor (same as he uses). If you look at his work you'll see how demanding and precise he is and he was very impressed and said our camera's IQ on the same shot matched.

GREATER FLAMINGOS COURTING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I must admit that attractive as the forthcoming Olympus 150-400mm+1.25x F/4.5 Pro sounds, I am now having second thoughts primarily because of its size and bulk (also dependent on price!).

I've seen lots of images on the Mu-43.com website of the 40-150mm Pro with the MC-20 - they generally look very good.

.... Have just seen this - Cheers Malcolm!

Last edited:

.... Andy's review is as mad as a box of frogs (or bats!) but what he says does make sense and he is very 'real-world' and says what he thinks.

I think he'll be sticking to his M1Xs if only because of their easier physical grip, extra battery power and easier portrait/landscape orientation < That's why I am.

When you are shooting with multiple camera bodies, each is just a control module on your chosen lens and so you ideally want all your bodies and their customisations to match exactly. Andy shoots with three M1X bodies so he is always at the ready to get the shot he wants - Such is wildlife.

Very much according to what you shoot, the M1 Mark III could be an excellent choice and Andy's "Mini M1X" is a good description. A brace of Purdey shotguns anyone?

He seems keen! Only thing I thought was odd was his IS examples. One shot at 1/3200 and the other at 1/8000. I guess he's referring to it making him easier to compose as I doubt IS is doing a great deal at those speeds. Hell of a photographer though isn't he!

.... Indeed he is. He lives and breathes it and not only is he a good photographer but he cares deeply about wildlife, especially Tigers and Polar Bears.

I have just read Andy Rouse's review where he makes it very clear he is not an ambassador, I had hoped to see some birds in flight but as with the sport ambassador, Mike Inkley who posts motor sport, there were no shots of an unpredictable action sport. I did try the X at Slmibridge and quite liked the feel of it. At this point, whilst I await the next 'R', I will not be buying anything. Patience... in theory! My Mk2 Oly doesn't cope in low light at the arena where I shoot basketball; only good for static shots really such as free throws.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have both Topaz Denoise AI and Sharpen AI and use for most of my shots with the EM1mk2 (and G9), they really do help, but don't always produce a better result than simple C1/LR/PS adjustments, and you do need to not overdo it (must take my own advice here!). I find the denoise can also help when you crop heavily a low ISO shot, but mainly just on the background, as per Tree Sparrow pic.

Be aware there is currently a bit of a hoo-har over the change in pricing model with Topaz, charging per year for upgrades instead of free.

Tree Sparrow OLY18862.jpg

Last edited:
Back