Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

My first photo on the Olympus ED 60mm F/2.8 Macro lens of a living subject rather than a still life :

'FREDDIE' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

'Freddie' one of two brother kittens which my daughter has recently bought from a rescue centre. She has created a page for them on Instagram :

https://www.instagram.com/freddieandreubencats/

I am now impatient for the dragonfly season to start as I think this Olympus lens is every bit as good as my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro which is a renowned lens among photographers.
Beautiful cat (y)

No need to put yourself out @Sootchucker. I just thought you may have tried it already.

When the light is bright, sometimes you can’t get a slow enough shutter speed without over exposing e.g. the attached pic was about 1/40s but to get that slow I had to use a 4 stop filter at around ISO 100 - doing this via my iPad so hopefully pic is of sufficient quality.
IMG_4353.JPG

Don't know if this is kidology from Olympus or genuine that the EM1 MK III is selling really well, but just seen this from their website:

Don't know if this is kidology from Olympus or genuine that the EM1 MK III is selling really well, but just seen this from their website:

I would surmise that the global distribution quantities were modest.......................in the USA pre-orderers who ordered from US reatilers got theirs a couple of days back but as I read it the retailers were under an embargo to not release them until a certain date (24th Feb?).

The EU webshop possibly rely on the same central distro channel as the one that supplies the UK retailers..............so are any showing "in stock" now. Hence the message above maybe is a real situation i.e. EU webshop has no more stock as they have sold all available to personal pre-orderers who placed the order by the 26th and any balance they were obligated to distribute to the retailer network???

Edit ~ just had a look at:-
Park ~ say Pre-order.....deliveries in March
WEX ~ say Pre-Order......but no mention of when deliveries will start?
LCE ~ likewise to WEX.................though they state explicitly that is you want the free offer of Capture 1 you need to place the order before 29th Feb!

Last edited:
I read that there are Mkiii's available in the US because the pre-order failed to sell out

No need to put yourself out @Sootchucker. I just thought you may have tried it already.

When the light is bright, sometimes you can’t get a slow enough shutter speed without over exposing e.g. the attached pic was about 1/40s but to get that slow I had to use a 4 stop filter at around ISO 100 - doing this via my iPad so hopefully pic is of sufficient quality.
View attachment 269878
It can be very tricky, 3-4 stop ND is a must, plus it helps to use ISO Low 2 as well.
Nice pic.

I went to Wasdale yesterday afternoon as I could see the weather passing through. I had sun, rain, sleet and snow with a fair bit of wind too.
My 5 year old E-M1 i got a soaking as did my 12-40 and 40-150 I had no problems as usual
My E-M5ii was spared this as I put bag over it on the tripod to keep my filters as dry as I could

Wasdale sleet and rainbow by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wasdale parting clouds by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Great Gable snow and cloud by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Illgill head mist by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wasdale sun coming out 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Wasdale sun coming out by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
I went to Wasdale yesterday afternoon as I could see the weather passing through. I had sun, rain, sleet and snow with a fair bit of wind too.
My 5 year E-M1 i got a soaking as did my 12-40 and 40-150 I had no problems as usual
My E-M5ii was spared this as I put bag over it on the tripod to keep my filters as dry as I could

Wasdale sleet and rainbow by Alf Branch, on Flickr

.... Fabulous to capture the whole rainbow! Nice one Alf!

Those Olympus Pro lenses really are very weatherproof! - A lot of people don't seem to believe it or want to accept the fact :rolleyes:

The weather sounds horrible but the results look worth the effort :)

Yes, the sensors are different (EM1 MK III - M4/3 so 18x13.5mm @ 20mp vs X-T4 - APS-C so 23.6x15.6mm @ 26mp). However the M4/3 has a native aspect ratio of 4:3 were as the Fuji is 3:2, so part of the choice is what format you prefer.

.... I have never understood why the native aspect ratio matters. On the Olympus (M1X) you can select which aspect ratio you want when shooting - I don't change the default 4:3.

If cropping, inevitably 99% of the time if shooting wildlife, I always do it as my very first step even before local adjustments and I choose whichever ratio which I think best suits my image and don't care if it's unconstrained rather than a set ratio. I know that some photographers prefer to stick rigidly to a set aspect ratio.

I can often visualise while taking the photo how I am most likely going to crop an image later in processing.

.... I have never understood why the native aspect ratio matters. On the Olympus (M1X) you can select which aspect ratio you want when shooting - I don't change the default 4:3.

If cropping, inevitably 99% of the time if shooting wildlife, I always do it as my very first step even before local adjustments and I choose whichever ratio which I think best suits my image and don't care if it's unconstrained rather than a set ratio. I know that some photographers prefer to stick rigidly to a set aspect ratio.

I can often visualise while taking the photo how I am most likely going to crop an image later in processing.
same here robin ,I think I advised you of that a few years ago . but whatever its the method I use as well.. wildlife is a law unto itself and noise will always rear its head with a small sensor and cropping ,finally putting it to bed with topaz de-noise Ai thankfully

Last edited:

same here robin ,I think I advised you of that a few years ago . but whatever its the method I use as well

FWIW

I set my mk2 to show in the EVF and the rear screen the 3:2 ratio, this is primarily because most of my intended prints are 3:2........................this does not in reality crop the image size captured, it is still 4:3 ratio ~ caveats:-
I have found that some of the the 3:2 images, the main subject is actually being clipped by the '3;2 crop frame'.................but all I need to is use the full 4:3 and shift the PP'ing crop positioning ;)

In LR it honours the 3:2 crop unless you revert it NB I found that out when I had a 'clipped framing' mentioned above and that I could get the 4:3 image file view back!In PhotoLab it does not honour the cropped view like LR.

So to sum up ~ IMO it is useful framing tool and nothing more but as in all matters YMMV :)

Talking of settings?

I found this thread over at DPR https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4470033#forum-post-63682261

I have yet to fully digest it but the standout comments that caught my eye are in regard to if you set the EVF Frame Rate to high.......which I did almost since new..................it affects the C-AF performance???

As I said yet to digest the details but a heads up for others here at TP for your insights???

Talking of settings?

I found this thread over at DPR https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4470033#forum-post-63682261

I have yet to fully digest it but the standout comments that caught my eye are in regard to if you set the EVF Frame Rate to high.......which I did almost since new..................it affects the C-AF performance???

As I said yet to digest the details but a heads up for others here at TP for your insights???

.... The tester is doing so on M1 Mark II and Mark III which have different processors and processing power will surely have a strong influence on AF performance.

Generally I don't find the opinions of most 'experts' posting on dpreview to be reliable anyway. But I emphasise generally !

Browsing around Petr Bambousek's site I looked at his blog page once again in a fair while and came across his Topaz Denoise and Sharpe AI user reviews here
http://www.sulasula.com/en/miracle-topaz-labs/

Of note is that he mentioned a 15% discount code!
I think I can send people a link which will give them a discount and also gives a discount for me on future purchases. I think this is true for anyone who has already purchased. I've got a few people to buy it and have even given them other people's discount codes, but I always forget to give mine! :rolleyes::)

Talking of settings?

I've just had a look and my frame is set to normal but greyed out. I can't seem to get it un-greyed. I've never even noticed this setting before.

I think I can send people a link which will give them a discount and also gives a discount for me on future purchases. I think this is true for anyone who has already purchased. I've got a few people to buy it and have even given them other people's discount codes, but I always forget to give mine! :rolleyes::)

Oh! cannot recall such a sharing discount code from when I bought Topaz???

I've just had a look and my frame is set to normal but greyed out. I can't seem to get it un-greyed. I've never even noticed this setting before.

Not sure now, as so long ago, but there was specific set of settings to 'set' apart from High Frame Rate (in EVF) :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Oh! cannot recall such a sharing discount code from when I bought Topaz???
I was sent an email last August. It gives friends a 15% discount and me $10 off another purchase. As I say, I think I've been instrumental in getting other people to purchase it, but I always forget about the link - which I have to email to them.

I have such a backlog to PP but this one I initially 'finished' for a club competition......................so a quickish fix to downsize it for TP showing
Taken in South of France last year around the town square flower display pots. NB because has been a while I cannot seem to get the embedding 'right' :thinking: ~ do click and view full sized on Flickr :D

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iy344h]HUMMINGBIRD HAWK MOTHweb by Imagin8, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
I have such a backlog to PP but this one I initially 'finished' for a club competition......................so a quickish fix to downsize it for TP showing
Taken in South of France last year around the town square flower display pots. NB because has been a while I cannot seem to get the embedding 'right' :thinking: ~ do click and view full sized on Flickr

View: https://flic.kr/p/2iy344h

Post the BB code from Flickr into the post
Though if you are using a phone or tablet that is issue

Post the BB code from Flickr into the post
Though if you are using a phone or tablet that is issue

Thanks Alf, I did try something different....................I think it was ^ this and posted around the time of before refreshing and your helpful post :)

Taken in South of France last year around the town square flower display pots. NB because has been a while I cannot seem to get the embedding 'right' :thinking: ~ do click and view full sized on Flickr:D

HUMMINGBIRD HAWK MOTHweb by Imagin8, on Flickr
Fabulous! I have yet to see one of these (hummingbird moth?) though we do get them around here in the summer.

I never embed pics anymore, I just attach the file and choose full image. I think I downsize them to 1000pixels across and a max of 350Kb.

Edit: I can see you have titled it Hummingbird Moth now :rolleyes::)

Last edited:
Fabulous! I have yet to see one of these (hummingbird moth?) though we do get them around here in the summer.

I never embed pics anymore, I just attach the file and choose full image. I think I downsize them to 1000pixels across and a max of 350Kb.

Edit: I can see you have titled it Hummingbird Moth now :rolleyes::)

I thought I would kill two birds with one stone as I have also neglected adding to my Flickr account :LOL:

Oh! they also have amazingly quick wingbeats the above was 1/2500s shutter and as you can see that did not freeze the wings.....which I ma pleased about ;)

Last edited:
OK, bit of a public information service :D:D

The grip on my 4 year old EM1 MK II had started to peel just under the front dial about a year ago, and I noticed after picking it up for the first time in a couple of months a week ago, that the peeling had got worse. When I tried to stick the grip down it was like the rubber had expanded and was now slightly larger than it would have been originally. It's probably 4 years worth of handling and suntan lotion on my hands whilst on holiday that's caused the rubber to move about under the adhesive tape and stretch lightly.

I contacted Olympus service to ask if they offer a service for just grip replacement and got the following:

Thank you for your email regarding your E-M1 Mark II. I am sorry to hear the rubber grip is coming off.

May I please advise that we have a fixed repair cost for the E-M1 Mark II, therefore, regardless of the fault the cost is at this time £196.56 VAT included.

With this cost we will repair all faults we are able to find on the camera and clean and calibrate it.

Well I wasn't going to pay £200 for just a rubber grip, but to be fair they did also say -

I am afraid a service-only cost is not available from us, however, our authorised service agent Luton Camera Repairs might be able to offer an alternative solution for you.

So I contacted Luton Camera repairs and they do indeed have genuine Olympus rubber grips in stock for the princely price of £10.00 + £3.50 P&P. So one has duly been ordered and should arrive today / tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've used the time to completely remove the old grip and clean up the old adhesive off the body in preparation for the new part. Whilst the rubber was off, thought it might be interesting to some to see what's underneath so here you go :

I'll let you know how the repair goes when the new part turns up. Anyone done this before and provide any tips ?

OK, bit of a public information service :D:D

The grip on my 4 year old EM1 MK II had started to peel just under the front dial about a year ago, and I noticed after picking it up for the first time in a couple of months a week ago, that the peeling had got worse. When I tried to stick the grip down it was like the rubber had expanded and was now slightly larger than it would have been originally. It's probably 4 years worth of handling and suntan lotion on my hands whilst on holiday that's caused the rubber to move about under the adhesive tape and stretch lightly.

I contacted Olympus service to ask if they offer a service for just grip replacement and got the following:

Thank you for your email regarding your E-M1 Mark II. I am sorry to hear the rubber grip is coming off.

May I please advise that we have a fixed repair cost for the E-M1 Mark II, therefore, regardless of the fault the cost is at this time £196.56 VAT included.
With this cost we will repair all faults we are able to find on the camera and clean and calibrate it.

Well I wasn't going to pay £200 for just a rubber grip, but to be fair they did also say -

I am afraid a service-only cost is not available from us, however, our authorised service agent Luton Camera Repairs might be able to offer an alternative solution for you.

So I contacted Luton Camera repairs and they do indeed have genuine Olympus rubber grips in stock for the princely price of £10.00 + £3.50 P&P. So one has duly been ordered and should arrive today / tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've used the time to completely remove the old grip and clean up the old adhesive off the body in preparation for the new part. Whilst the rubber was off, thought it might be interesting to some to see what's underneath so here you go :

I'll let you know how the repair goes when the new part turns up. Anyone done this before and provide any tips ?

Must be a fairly common problem, saw the other day someone has designed and marketing replacement grips
https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/listing/...acement-grip-for?ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1

Good luck getting the new one on, good degrease (cigarette lighter fluid is great) and use best quality Scotch double sided tape

done a couple on nikons a few years back , are they supplying the double sided tape as well ? .. as rich said make sure its totally de-greased before applying ( we used to use methylated spirits when I worked for remingtons ) . your lucky it lasted that long mine went back under warranty after 3 months use.

I looked at the one on etsy as well that is a plastic replacement that also comes with the back guard and works out to £24 .. but it won't suffer the same re-occuring problem ,if mine goes again I will get one of them ,the problem is caused by sweaty or oily skin being absorbed by the rubber

Last edited:
I must admit that discussions about IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) did not make me think I wanted or needed it when shooting Canons. However, now that I have experienced it on my M1X I can say that it really can make a very big difference indeed.

This image of my daughter's kittens was handheld at 1/8s - I am impressed with what IBIS can enable and I post this as a good example of IBIS in use. My STF-8 flash unit was mounted but intentionally switched off, hence "on, did not fire" stated on Flickr :

YIN-YANG by Robin Procter, on Flickr

anyway another shorty from jan. done with topaz de-noise Ai

.... Shot on January 1st but processed in the last few days now that you have found your sweet spot when applying Topaz DeNoise AI? Works very well doesn't it and makes all the difference - Worth its price imo!

.... Shot on January 1st but processed in the last few days now that you have found your sweet spot when applying Topaz DeNoise AI? Works very well doesn't it and makes all the difference - Worth its price imo!
Most definetly robin ,just waiting for payday (sat) to buy it .i have played with it different ways to get to a final workflow through lightroom CC .but now happy with the results and the image likes / faves on Flickr have rocketed

Just watched Gavin Hoey on the EM1iii. An interesting feature - you can set custom modes to ‘hold’, so that if you use them and then change your settings, they are remembered next time you choose that custom mode. I think that’s really useful.

View: https://youtu.be/D4pfaJbLFWs
Gavin Hoey's videos are great imo.

Just watched Gavin Hoey on the EM1iii. An interesting feature - you can set custom modes to ‘hold’, so that if you use them and then change your settings, they are remembered next time you choose that custom mode. I think that’s really useful.

View: https://youtu.be/D4pfaJbLFWs

That change to the way the Custom settings can function is IMO a great addition................on more than one occasion I have found the Custom set(tings) in use, I wished to change one element and I have to drill the menu to do so! I wonder if you can use the "hold" on a per Custom set e.g. of the 4 available make just one as 'hold' as you might wish to modify 'on the fly'?

All done and looking minty fresh again :cool:

Heads up for anyone looking to move one on I'm just about to place a wanted ad for a 12-40mm (y)

Heads up for anyone looking to move one on I'm just about to place a wanted ad for a 12-40mm (y)
I have one that I've agreed to let Harrison's have but depending on how much you want to pay I could sell to you instead, I'll head over the wanted section.

Back