Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Heads up for anyone looking to move one on I'm just about to place a wanted ad for a 12-40mm (y)

.... If you are after an Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro I bought mine via TP Classifieds (from someone who regularly posts in this thread) and it really is an excellent lens. Definitely worth it and a very useful and practical zoom, as doubtless you already realise, hence you wanting one.

If you don't find one here then I would recommend HDEW as a source for a new one (also white box £469) :

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-12-40mm-f28-pro-2164-p.asp

GLWTP as opposed to GLWTS.

.... If you are after an Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro I bought mine via TP Classifieds (from someone who regularly posts in this thread) and it really is an excellent lens. Definitely worth it and a very useful and practical zoom, as doubtless you already realise, hence you wanting one.

If you don't find one here then I would recommend HDEW as a source for a new one (also white box £469) :

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-mzuiko-digital-ed-12-40mm-f28-pro-2164-p.asp

Thanks Robin. I actually had a 12-40mm for my EM5.2 and although I thought it one of the best lenses I had owned, I felt it was too big to feel comfortable, so I sold it. I regretted that decision when I bought my EM1.2 and I'm now hoping to rectify that.

Robin,

I know you've used Hdew before, and my apologies if I'm being daft here, but is there a way of seeing if an item is in stock on their website at the point of ordering?

Cheers,

Simon.

Robin,

I know you've used Hdew before, and my apologies if I'm being daft here, but is there a way of seeing if an item is in stock on their website at the point of ordering?

Cheers,

Simon.

.... Not daft at all - If it's shown on their website it's either in their very limited stock or available in their usual delivery time of up to 5 days. If it's not shown it might still be obtainable but I know they like to only show what they can supply within 5 days whenever possible. They have very limited stock at their premises. I have used them for years and can strongly recommend them - Canon and now Olympus. Phone 020 8669 5668 - Sean or Harry tend to know the score (and know me as 'Robin' very well!). I always order from them by phone and have never done it online.

HDEW and WEX are my favoured suppliers depending what I want and what they can supply.

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. I actually had a 12-40mm for my EM5.2 and although I thought it one of the best lenses I had owned, I felt it was too big to feel comfortable, so I sold it. I regretted that decision when I bought my EM1.2 and I'm now hoping to rectify that.

.... It's funny (not ha-ha funny) how a 12-40mm can feel too big for one photographer and not at all so for another. Coming from D-SLR Canon lenses to m4/3 none of the Olympus lenses seem too big to me but wildlife mostly needs reach and therefore bigger lenses.

Robin,

Cheers,

Simon.
I have also used them before and usually phone through my order, although I think last time I did order a filter online. Their payment system is a little picky - address etc has to be exactly as it is on your credit card bill. You can always ask if you don't see something.

It came with all the double sided tape pieces ready cut and labelled with an instruction sheet telling you where each of the 7 pieces go.

.... It's funny (not ha-ha funny) how a 12-40mm can feel too big for one photographer and not at all so for another. Coming from D-SLR Canon lenses to m4/3 none of the Olympus lenses seem too big to me but wildlife mostly needs reach and therefore bigger lenses.
it was only too big, for me anyway, on the EM5.2, which is a much smaller camera. It'll fit perfect on my EM1.2

Last edited:
The 12-40 has fast become my favourite lens on the E-M10ii and no, I don’t feel it needs a grip ;).
I’d love it to be smaller or at least lighter but the benefits outweigh the disadvantage of its relative weight and size.

@gad-westy : Graham, I think it was you who was asking about image quality when the 2x MC-20 is mounted on the Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro, so here are some recent examples of mine shot with that combo on my E-M1X :

All shot @ max zoom 300mm (600mm equivalent), subject distances not included in the EXIF data unfortunately. But this combo does not make my Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro redundant - Having zoom just adds to my flexibility but at the cost of maximum aperture F/5.6 vs F/4 and I think that the 300mm prime may be slightly sharper if directly compared without a TC and depending on circumstances < You would probably have to pixel-peep.

They were all either in rain, drizzle, or overcast light and all in my wildlife garden in Dorset.

A PAIR OF COLLARED DOVES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ A PAIR OF COLLARED DOVES

THE RAT RUN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ A BROWN RAT

JACKDAW IN DRIZZLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ A JACKDAW

As someone said earlier, there are also plenty of examples of this lens combo elsewhere online.

I shall be using this combo when I next get the call to photograph friends surfing.

HTH

Many thanks. The images look great! I don't do enough long stuff to justify a 300mm f/4, nice as it would be but a 2x is a little easier to get my head around.

Nice a not so common ,common gull to

it was only too big, for me anyway, on the EM5.2, which is a much smaller camera. It'll fit perfect on my EM1.2
The 12-40 has fast become my favourite lens on the E-M10ii and no, I don’t feel it needs a grip ;).
I’d love it to be smaller or at least lighter but the benefits outweigh the disadvantage of its relative weight and size.
The 12 to 45mm goes really well on the 5 or 10 models I tried one on camera on Thursday

I am happy with 12 to 40 f2.8 on the E-M5ii

Last edited:
Spotted this thread at DPREVIEW

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4470822

About the upcoming 150-400mm lens, has still captures from an Olympus Japanese language video with more info and images taken with the lens. If anyone understands Japanese it will likely be even more interesting!

Oooops! as per the op on that thread says the lens comes in at the 37th minute........the video is primarily about the E-M1 MK3 and the new 12-45mm lens.

Last edited:
Spotted this thread at DPREVIEW

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4470822

About the upcoming 150-400mm lens, has still captures from an Olympus Japanese language video with more info and images taken with the lens. If anyone understands Japanese it will likely be even more interesting!

Oooops! as per the op on that thread says the lens comes in at the 37th minute........the video is primarily about the E-M1 MK3 and the new 12-45mm lens.
If you add subtitles (press c) and then click on settings cogwheel, you can get the Japanese auto translated - quite entertaining :)

Last edited:
If you add subtitles (press c) and then click on settings cogwheel, you can get the Japanese auto translated - quite entertaining :)

Ah! thanks for that, took a few go's to get it sorted and see the English(?) subtitles................about 2m 30 seconds................I was glad not to be holding/drinking a cuppa ~ as you say quite entertaining o_O:D:ROFLMAO:

Just a heads up - I see Amazon have the E M1 ii at £984. Supplied and sold by Amazon, only 8 left in stock.

The 12 to 45mm goes really well on the 5 or 10 models I tried one on camera on Thursday

I am happy with 12 to 40 f2.8 on the E-M5ii

if I was starting from scratch then the new 12-45 might be of interest.
I think I’d miss the focus clutch and the extra light gathering.
As my 12-40 was used it cost me a lot less than the new :)

fwiw here’s the 12-40 next to the Pentax 18-55 f3.5-5.6 I had for my K100d. Excuse the phone picture :)

2332309F-020A-4534-8129-CBCBE38AF9C7.jpeg

.... Thanks for that Bebop! Useful setting for other language reviews too.

The translation is hilarious!! : "Ah, that's right - I think there are many people who use live composite live girls " < My imagination is running riot! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyone on here use or used the Olympus EE-1 dot sight?
Looks like an interesting piece of gadgetry?

yes, I've used it. Not enough as since I got it as I haven't had enough situations where I could. I found it very helpful for tracking flying birds, but it did take a while to set up. Also they say you should set it up on a tripod, I do it the other way round - take a shot with the red dot on something, then see where that something is in the final image, and adjust. It does mean that you can calibrate it anywhere, without a tripod..

yes, I've used it. Not enough as since I got it as I haven't had enough situations where I could. I found it very helpful for tracking flying birds, but it did take a while to set up. Also they say you should set it up on a tripod, I do it the other way round - take a shot with the red dot on something, then see where that something is in the final image, and adjust. It does mean that you can calibrate it anywhere, without a tripod..
Surely you have to still ensure the target is in focus though ? Otherwise it’s spray and pray

That's the set-up, getting the right combo of focus point and mode. I think I've got it right (can't check it now as I'm away from my O-MD). Also to decide whether to have fire on focus or not.

I use the EE-1 and the rear screen of the camera (only time I use that) and I shorten the (Peak Design Slide) strap so that my arm are pushing against the strap to stabilise the camera.

I think it would be helpful in some situations but what puts me off is having to calibrate it to the lens each time you use it.
Exactly what put me off getting one (y)

For those who are either still wary or unconvinced about the Olympus Pro system weatherproofing :

Yesterday I spent 3 hours on a beach in winds of up to 30mph and lashing rain showers (sometimes somewhat horizontal!) while photographing a friend surfing. Result? - No problems whatsoever.

I shot about 360 images solely on my Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + MC-20 (on M1X) and on my Gitzo monopod with RRS tilt head.

Because I was shooting C-AF + Tracking I used about 80% of one of the two loaded batteries. Olympus have not missed a trick by not switching to the second battery until the first is empty.

WEST BAY SURFER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

SURFING SPEED BURN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Providing the sea conditions remain as forecast, I'm doing the same with him further down the coast starting at dawn tomorrow and don't care what the weather does!

:olympus:

Last edited:
I think I can live with a 5 min set up before I go out. I don't change lenses while I'm out and usually out for 3-8 hours so it's not too much of a concern for me. What's more important is if it works. Seen quite a few reviews and it looks decent to me.
Here's a review of the EE-1 :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnTAbBSUHZk

I think it would be helpful in some situations but what puts me off is having to calibrate it to the lens each time you use it.

Last edited:
For those who are either still wary or unconvinced about the Olympus Pro system weatherproofing :

Yesterday I spent 3 hours on a beach in winds of up to 30mph and lashing rain showers (sometimes somewhat horizontal!) while photographing a friend surfing. Result? - No problems whatsoever.

I shot about 360 images solely on my Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + MC-20 (on M1X) and on my Gitzo monopod with RRS tilt head.

Because I was shooting C-AF + Tracking I used about 80% of one of the two loaded batteries. Olympus have not missed a trick by not switching to the second battery until the first is empty.

WEST BAY SURFER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

SURFING SPEED BURN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I'm doing the same with him further down the coast starting at dawn tomorrow and don't care what the weather does!
Robin
My olympus E-M1 mk1 has had to deal with this type of trearment for 6 years in the pursuit of seascapes.

Robin
My olympus E-M1 mk1 has had to deal with this type of treatment for 6 years in the pursuit of seascapes.

.... That's even more reassuring to hear. And doubtless Olympus will have improved it even further with their latest M1 versions. It's very enabling isn't it.

.... That's even more reassuring to hear. And doubtless Olympus will have improved it even further with their latest M1 versions. It's very enabling isn't it.
The challenge is keeping the front element or filter clean.
The camera had a new shutter at about 125k actuations and new rubber fitted. The worst dowsing it had was at niagra falls on a boat. It just needed a bit of a sit in the sun to dry it off but it worked throughout.

Last edited:
Back