Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A landscape snap on the Olympus 40-150mm + MC-20 combo @80mm (160mm). I say 'snap' because, like nearly all my landscape shots, it was very quickly taken - I was sat photographing some friends surfing in front of me, glanced sideways along the beach and snapped the shot before continuing with the surfers.

SILVER SURF ON THE JURASSIC COAST by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Can anyone tell me please what using the M1X onboard ND filter would have done to this image? I didn't have time to try without losing surfer shots.

When I consider all the time and effort landscape photographers put into some amazing images I am very reluctant indeed to call myself a landscape photographer.

Last edited:
A landscape snap on the Olympus 40-150mm + MC-20 combo @80mm (160mm). I say 'snap' because, like nearly all my landscape shots, it was very quickly taken - I was sat photographing some friends surfing in front of me, glanced sideways along the beach and snapped the shot before continuing with the surfers.

Can anyone tell me please what using the M1X onboard ND filter would have done to this image? I didn't have time to try without losing surfer shots.

When I consider all the time and effort landscape photographers put into some amazing images I am very reluctant indeed to call myself a landscape photographer.

Some landscape photography is no different to wildlife/action photography = right time, right place.....as you have have illustrated;) NB goes without saying good cameracraft is also beneficial!

.... I love the buzz of speed! :D

.... Indeed I have - The Throbbin' Red Chariot, 135k miles and I still love every mile. I still get offers from enthusiasts to buy her and even had one today.

Your Steel Grey GTI looks very nice indeed and got to be better than a GTD soot chucker! The Golf GTI is a very practical allrounder - Mine's a 4-door (called a 5-door) too.

.... Occasionally but was extremely active on 'mk5golfgti' - Over 16,000 posts! :LOL:. You too methinks with a name like 'damianmkv' (which rings a bell).

View attachment 270940

yes I joined 2005 with a mk5, ended up a moderator but lost interest in around 2015 as there were new owners. Still very much vw though as since 2005 I’ve had a mk6, 2 mk7s and now have a 7.5 GTi and a 7.5 R at the moment

yes I joined 2005 with a mk5, ended up a moderator but lost interest in around 2015 as there were new owners. Still very much vw though as since 2005 I’ve had a mk6, 2 mk7s and now have a 7.5 GTi and a 7.5 R at the moment

.... Ooooh! Very nice indeed! I would love the latest R - I love exhaust music! You sound like my good friend 'Hurdy' John Hurditch from Sheffield except that he has the modifyvirus. I didn't like the mk6 GTI though and wrote a test review. Fortunately VW got the tradition back with the mk7.

A ND filter would let you drop the shutter speed to help get the milky appearance in the water so say your shot was 1/60 sec f8 iso 100 a 2xnd would let you go to 1/15sec this would start to make the water smooth out a 3xnd would drop it to 1/8th .

Rob

I like it Robin
Shots like this require timing and light some of that timing is the day in this case for the weather which I like and would shoot in
I would have liked a bit more on the left to include the edge of the water but it fine without it I would crop a bit off the bottom to remove the water below the stones

Stormy Parton looking south by Alf Branch, on Flickr

It depends on how the built Nd filter actually works as Olympus have not said but I suspect it is a software thing.
A longer exposure would give something like this

Parton dusk rough sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Parton dark clouds by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Dark skies over Whitehaven by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

As Rob and Alf mentioned it would smooth out the sea and give it a more milky effect. It’s all a matter of taste and how much ‘motion you want to see. Some use big stoppers to give you an exposure of several minutes giving the sea a glass/mirror like appearance.

Last edited:
I've never been able to bring myself to take a silky water shot. Some love them. I can see how many things are liked by many people and even when I don't like it I can see how others would but silky water shots, I just don't see it.

I've never been able to bring myself to take a silky water shot. Some love them. I can see how many things are liked by many people and even when I don't like it I can see how others would but silky water shots, I just don't see it.
Most of the time I prefer a little motion, but sometimes I like the shots taken over several minutes. I prefer to see some movement over ‘frozen’ shots 99% of the time (y)

Most of the time I prefer a little motion, but sometimes I like the shots taken over several minutes. I prefer to see some movement over ‘frozen’ shots 99% of the time (y)

Movement is one thing and I do a bit of that but these alien looking liquid nitrogen lake scenes just aren't for me, never have been and probably never will be. Good luck to those that like them.

Last edited:
Never one to do things by half...…..

Redcar Groynes by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

This is a five minute exposure. I wanted to create a very simple image free of distraction with a feeling of calm and stillness, rather than an accurate representation of the scene.

EM1 mk II + Oly 40-150mm f2.8 + stacked 10 and 6 stop Formatt HiTech Firecrest ND filters.

Cheers,

Simon.

A ND filter would let you drop the shutter speed to help get the milky appearance in the water so say your shot was 1/60 sec f8 iso 100 a 2xnd would let you go to 1/15sec this would start to make the water smooth out a 3xnd would drop it to 1/8th .
Rob

.... Thanks Rob. The problem might then have been that the land would not have been sharp as I was shooting in a wind trying to keep steady on a monopod not tripod.

Movement is one thing and I do a bit of that but these alien looking liquid nitrogen lake scenes just aren't for me, never have been and probably never will be. Good luck to those that like them.

.... Not for me either when they start to look unnatural (as many do imo). However I like the strong graphic simplicity of this one by Simon @srhmoto in Reply #19,134.

And I like this one a lot by Alf @alfbranch in Reply #19,127 'Parton dark clouds'.

@RedRobin

I think your shot works in mono too here is my crop

.... I tried a crop like that at 16 x 9 and rejected it and I also looked at it in mono and immediately rejected that because it lost all the subtlety of the colours - I'm extremely fussy about mono and shot a huge amount of it back in the days of having a SLR 35mm film Nikon F and developing my own prints. I often used yellow/orange/red filters.

As Rob and Alf mentioned it would smooth out the sea and give it a more milky effect. It’s all a matter of taste and how much ‘motion you want to see. Some use big stoppers to give you an exposure of several minutes giving the sea a glass/mirror like appearance.

.... I agree - It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm thinking that something like 1/20s or 1/30s might be more to my taste as in this shot of a Heron at 1/30s :

AN EXPERIMENT WITH A HERON by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I have had the call this morning to stand by for some more surfer shots, subject to sea conditions for surfing, for both tomorrow morning and Monday morning in any 2 of 3 different local spots but one of the spots is where my photo is taken and I'll take my tripod this time and probably mount my weatherproof Oly 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro on my other M1X body instead of the 300mm in case I needed it - I don't want to open up my bodies in windy beach conditions to swap lenses. My friend has been surfing all over for 32 years and is not put off by heavy weather - I couldn't have a better guide and subject for surfing shots (except perhaps for a world champion level hot surfer babe! :D).

Last edited:
.... Thanks Rob. The problem might then have been that the land would not have been sharp as I was shooting in a wind trying to keep steady on a monopod not tripod.

.... Not for me either when they start to look unnatural (as many do imo). However I like the strong graphic simplicity of this one by Simon @srhmoto in Reply #19,134.

And I like this one a lot by Alf @alfbranch in Reply #19,127 'Parton dark clouds'.

.... I tried a crop like that at 16 x 9 and rejected it and I also looked at it in mono and immediately rejected that because it lost all the subtlety of the colours - I'm extremely fussy about mono and shot a huge amount of it back in the days of having a SLR 35mm film Nikon F and developing my own prints. I often used yellow/orange/red filters.

.... I agree - It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm thinking that something like 1/20s or 1/30s might be more to my taste as in this shot of a Heron at 1/30s :

AN EXPERIMENT WITH A HERON by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I have had the call this morning to stand by for some more surfer shots, subject to sea conditions for surfing, for both tomorrow morning and Monday morning in any 2 of 3 different local spots but one of the spots is where my photo is taken and I'll take my tripod this time and probably mount my weatherproof Oly 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro on my other M1X body instead of the 300mm in case I needed it - I don't want to open up my bodies in windy beach conditions to swap lenses. My friend has been surfing all over for 32 years and is not put off by heavy weather - I couldn't have a better guide and subject for surfing shots (except perhaps for a world champion level hot surfer babe! :D).
Wow, he posed nice for you to get a shutter of 1/30 :oops: :$

Cracking capture you’ve really captured the adverse weather conditions :whistle:(y)

I like it Robin
Shots like this require timing and light some of that timing is the day in this case for the weather which I like and would shoot in
I would have liked a bit more on the left to include the edge of the water but it fine without it I would crop a bit off the bottom to remove the water below the stones

Stormy Parton looking south by Alf Branch, on Flickr

It depends on how the built Nd filter actually works as Olympus have not said but I suspect it is a software thing.
A longer exposure would give something like this

Parton dusk rough sea by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Parton dark clouds by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Dark skies over Whitehaven by Alf Branch, on Flickr
U

Excellent set of images (y)

Never one to do things by half...…..

Redcar Groynes by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

This is a five minute exposure. I wanted to create a very simple image free of distraction with a feeling of calm and stillness, rather than an accurate representation of the scene.

EM1 mk II + Oly 40-150mm f2.8 + stacked 10 and 6 stop Formatt HiTech Firecrest ND filters.

Cheers,

Simon.
I really like this I do find a certain tranquility to these kind of images :)(y)

Theres a right milky water fest on here today, all of them excellent.

That Heron shot is staggeringly good @RedRobin it almost beggars belief that its a 1/30 exposure hand held at that focal distance. There is no camera's system other than MFT that can achieve that sort of results in those circumstances. Oh and of course there's the photographers skill too :)

camera jumble sale day for me today ,got a few bits to first one in .. a vivitar 28-70mm with macro , and a 400mm f5.5 alcotel (Hoya) both in good working order with no visible signs of dust or fungus etc took a couple of test shots earlier .as below macro first ,and 400 next through double glazing both shots hand held on the mkii body .
even more pleasing was I paid the staggering amount of £5 for the pair ,feeling chuffed at the moment
macro test by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

400mm MF by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

).

Thanks Robin
I think the bit i cropped out is not adding to the picture as it is too messy and my opinion on mono is when converting to forget the colour you had and think like you shot it in mono and just find out if it works.

I used to like pan F myself in my Olympus OM2sp

I remember getting this shot and running out film only to find the only film I had was mono.

Wasdale slide by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
That Heron shot is staggeringly good @RedRobin it almost beggars belief that its a 1/30 exposure hand held at that focal distance. There is no camera's system other than MFT that can achieve that sort of results in those circumstances. Oh and of course there's the photographers skill too :)

.... Thanks! I chose 1/30s to capture motion on the water because I had panned some shots of a moving train successfully at 1/30s (but on a tripod with panning head) and I know Heron behaviour well and knew he was fishing and would stay dead still. I think I leant the left side of my body against a tree trunk as far as I remember - I certainly thought about doing so as I slowly approached the river bank.

I may have posted this before but this shot of my daughter's kittens was handheld at 1/8s and my left elbow was on a table. STF-8 flash was mounted but switched off so not to disturb them. I didn't want to increase the ISO and noise and so left it set at ISO 320. Again, all part of my learning curve and this time exploring my new Olympus 60mm F/2.8 Macro.

YIN-YANG by Robin Procter, on Flickr

As you say, the IBIS enables so much!

Btw, re your sig, 'Take It Easy, Take It Easy' by The Eagles < Great lyrics and harmonies, was one of my faves at the time back in those stoner days. I played it a lot! Also CSNY and Joni Mitchell etc.

I would have thought your fave group robin was the village people :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks Robin
I think the bit i cropped out is not adding to the picture as it is too messy and my opinion on mono is when converting to forget the colour you had and think like you shot it in mono and just find out if it works.

.... I particularly like what you think is a messy foreground.

I would very rarely want to shoot nature, be it wildlife or landscape, in mono as I think it consequently loses the magic of colour which all nature contains. To view it in mono usually restricts my senses and diminishes my enjoyment.

Having said that, your mono version of my picture does tempt me to try converting it.

Last edited:
.... I particularly like what you think is a messy foreground.

I would very rarely want to shoot nature, be it wildlife or landscape, in mono as I think it consequently loses the magic of colour which all nature contains. To view it in mono usually restricts my senses and diminishes my enjoyment.

Having said that, your mono version of my picture does tempt me to try converting it.
Robin
We each have our own preferences

Robin
We each have our own preferences

.... Indeed but your earlier mono input has now inspired me to try something on a one of my seashore images which didn't quite make it as a colour picture. So I thank you :).

Am off in the rain and wind shortly for some more surfer pics. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:
Good afternoon all,

I am just getting back into my photography, and have just traded all my heavy Nikon kit against an Olympus OM-D-EM5 mkii with the 12-40mm f2.8 and 40-150mm f2.8 pro lenses, fingers crossed I'll get some pictures half as good as the ones I've seen so far in this thread.
What are you wanting to shoot?

Alfbranch mainly working dogs and birds as I'm not really a people person
For birds I’d suggest thinking about adding the Panasonic 100-400mm or Olly 300mm f4 to your arsenal (y)

Recently it was a toss up between the E-M1 Mkii and a Fuji X-T3. I decided on the X-T3 but, to me, it just doesnt feel right in the hand. So I then bought the grip and strangely that made it feel even worse, nowhere to put my 3rd finger and it feld really unbalanced. To top it off, with the grip added, it then wasn't much of a weight gain over my Nikon body. So to coin a phrase I obviuosly "zigged when I should have zagged".
I've now just got the E-M1 ii with the 12-100mm f4 pro lens (the way have should have gone in the first place).
Excited is putting mildly while wait for it to arrive, never handled the Mkii but I did have have the Mk1 for a short time recently and that felt very comfortable.

Back