Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The EU Olympus Webshop is now showing the E-M1MK3 as available again.......but does that mean the UK retailers have all options i.e. body only as well as kits equally on stock?

@RedRobin
Robin,
I just found the xref (and added post on that DPReview thread) to the article at Imaging Resource that summarises by Dave Etchells the context of the matter and the interview he had at Olympus HQ

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...ather-seal-a-camera-olympus-behind-the-scenes

.... Brilliant! I have bookmarked it and will doubtless post it some time in the future when/if the Olympus weather sealing subject comes up.

Many Thanks again 'Box'!

.... Brilliant! I have bookmarked it and will doubtless post it some time in the future when/if the Olympus weather sealing subject comes up.

Many Thanks again 'Box'!

I think the thing I also need 'get my around' (as unfamiliar territory for me ;) )what to carry for wiping it down/cleaning it off......and then not forgetting to leave the kit to air once home.......also leaving the bag empty & open to air as needed? Because good though the weather sealing is damp surfaces 'left' enclosed ain't a good idea!

.... BIF in particular can be very frustrating and also can diminish self confidence. Even with all the AF technology at our fingertips it's still difficult. You just have to keep trying but even when you do succeed there'll be other days when you can't seem to get many hits.
Thanks robin, my technique is poor, BIF is not something I've done a lot of, just the occasional photo. I find I easily lose the bird when following it, especially if the camera focuses on something else. Practice I suppose will help.

Thanks robin, my technique is poor, BIF is not something I've done a lot of, just the occasional photo. I find I easily lose the bird when following it, especially if the camera focuses on something else. Practice I suppose will help.
As Robin says/infers BiF is possibly the most challenging subject.

Can I suggest...... make a start on the slower moving and somewhat more predictable birds such (in order of practice subjects) gulls, pigeons, ducks. Trying with those first will aid IMO technique development and build some confidence in achieving an increasing number of keepers:)

I find that the much maligned gull is a perfect practice bird , try manual mode with one stop on aperture ,at least 1/1250th sec and auto iso . single point a/f and high speed burst around 13fps .. try to choose a blue sky day if possible find a park or open green .take a loaf of bread break up a few slices and throw them as far as possible .. it won't be long till a gull spots it and calls in others . if not gulls ,crows ,jackdaws etc will soon spot a food supply and be there . the secret is to take loads and get choosy afterwards

I think the thing I also need 'get my around' (as unfamiliar territory for me ;) )what to carry for wiping it down/cleaning it off......and then not forgetting to leave the kit to air once home.......also leaving the bag empty & open to air as needed? Because good though the weather sealing is damp surfaces 'left' enclosed ain't a good idea!
When I am at the beach I now take a small spray bottle of water which I spray on the lens filter when it gets salty from the spray. I also take an ordinary microfibre cloth (from supermarket) and wipe down the lens filter with this - dabbing at it rather than swiping. I also carry a lens cloth, but mostly the microfibre cloth works really well on its own. I always use filters at the beach. On a windy day I might have to soak my filter 4 or 5 times. The pull back hoods are a godsend when you're fiddling about doing this at the beach.

On the drive home I don't put my camera back in the bag. I wrap it in a blanket in the back of the car. I don't put wet things in my bag if I can help it.

When I get home I dab a wet piece of kitchen roll all over the camera and lens, or use the same microfibre cloth wet through. I do make it quite wet. I dry it off with a tea towel or another microfibre cloth and then leave it all open on the kitchen table for as long as I can. I take the filters off and wash and dry those. I leave any zooms open and lens covers/hoods/filters off.

My microfibre cloth and lens cloth get washed out after each jaunt and don't get used for anything other than my cameras and only ever have water on them.

A sporty chamois type towel is great for sucking the moisture off the surfaces too.

I know I've shared before, but a guy I knew used to take his Olympus in the shower with him after a day on the Cowes Week press boat. Olympus said they didn't recommend this when I told them :)

Am I correct in thinking you are using the EM1ii? There is a facility to alter the C-Af sensitivity which may make a difference. I have been experimenting with this lately.

I also came across this article recently which may help
https://learnandsupport.getolympus....-om-d-e-m1-mark-ii-focus-for-bird-photography

Edit: I find his use of the words tight and loose the opposite of what I feel they mean in my head.... but I think that's just me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When I am at the beach I now take a small spray bottle of water which I spray on the lens filter when it gets salty from the spray. I also take an ordinary microfibre cloth (from supermarket) and wipe down the lens filter with this - dabbing at it rather than swiping. I also carry a lens cloth, but mostly the microfibre cloth works really well on its own. I always use filters at the beach. On a windy day I might have to soak my filter 4 or 5 times. The pull back hoods are a godsend when you're fiddling about doing this at the beach.

On the drive home I don't put my camera back in the bag. I wrap it in a blanket in the back of the car. I don't put wet things in my bag if I can help it.

When I get home I dab a wet piece of kitchen roll all over the camera and lens, or use the same microfibre cloth wet through. I do make it quite wet. I dry it off with a tea towel or another microfibre cloth and then leave it all open on the kitchen table for as long as I can. I take the filters off and wash and dry those. I leave any zooms open and lens covers/hoods/filters off.

My microfibre cloth and lens cloth get washed out after each jaunt and don't get used for anything other than my cameras and only ever have water on them.

A sporty chamois type towel is great for sucking the moisture off the surfaces too.

I know I've shared before, but a guy I knew used to take his Olympus in the shower with him after a day on the Cowes Week press boat. Olympus said they didn't recommend this when I told them :)
I need to try that trick with spray bottle of water

I need to try that trick with spray bottle of water
You'd be surprised how small a bottle you need. I'm thinking of getting a 10ml bottle now - I think mine is 50ml - bought in Sainsbruy's. My friend used to take an ordinary drinking bottle, but the spray is better I think, less fiddly and fits in my pocket.

.... I don't go to as much effort as you do. I have a good size microfibre cloth but also a Spudz lens cloth attached to my chest strap. I only keep cameras in my Lowepro bag and a friend is about to get me a large silicone(?) bag - He has the same Lowepro.

I have a VisibleDust Zeeion filtered blower for sand etc.

All my lenses have filters permanently on for protection even though modern lens coatings are very good.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/spudz-10x10-blue-lightning-1013795/

You'd be surprised how small a bottle you need. I'm thinking of getting a 10ml bottle now - I think mine is 50ml - bought in Sainsbruy's. My friend used to take an ordinary drinking bottle, but the spray is better I think, less fiddly and fits in my pocket.
.... I don't go to as much effort as you do. I have a good size microfibre cloth but also a Spudz lens cloth attached to my chest strap. I only keep cameras in my Lowepro bag and a friend is about to get me a large silicone(?) bag - He has the same Lowepro.

I have a VisibleDust Zeeion filtered blower for sand etc.

All my lenses have filters permanently on for protection even though modern lens coatings are very good.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/spudz-10x10-blue-lightning-1013795/

Thanks @Bebop and @RedRobin for the insights and pointers, much appreciated :)

.... For @Box Brownie and others interested, I have just bought a couple of small 100ml spray top clear plastic bottles at Superdrug for £1.69 each. The choice of top is bright pink or clear but no Olympus blue. The spray is very fine (ideal) and almost just a mist. Am off chasing the waves again for the rest of this week - North Devon coast at Croyde and Woolly etc.

You want to be careful Robin, people might think you have spray hand sanitizer and mug you for it :D:D

naturally you cant do b.i.f shots with a olympus camera . and you'll never get a bird flying at you with one of them toy cameras ... just two comments I initially heard when changing to olympus .oh well s*** happens .
incoming jpg by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

naturally you cant do b.i.f shots with a olympus camera . and you'll never get a bird flying at you with one of them toy cameras ... just two comments I initially heard when changing to olympus .oh well s*** happens .
I presume you were warned of the terrible build quality and not to go out in slightly bad weather too.

Absolutely love this shot Jeff. One for the wall.

If anyone mentions toy cameras, it's a sure sign they are feeling threatened. The thing is we don't care because we are in the inner circle and can keep all the fun for ourselves :LOL:

Edit: Just to add, a club competition judge recently said my bif was very good but there was a bit of blur on the wing tips so it wasn't perfect, and there was me thinking it added to it!

Last edited:
Not a fan of club photography or the competitive set but that comment doesn't surprise me in the slightest bebop.
Super flappy bird shot Jeff.

Back